FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

#FriHost IRC on front page?

Ankhanu
#FriHost on DALnet has had more traffic the past week or so than we've seen in a year or more... but we could have more participation. Aside from the thread(s) we have about it here on the messageboard, I think it could be pretty useful to have a link to, and/or info on connecting to the FriHost IRC channel on the FriHost front page.

I know when I was first signing up, #FriHost helped me get a sense of the people that were running the board (mods), other users and helped me understand how things, such as decisions on hosting, were handled. The channel could be a great boon to the site again, but, we could use a little help letting people know where we are.
Ghost Rider103
It's a great idea. Not sure where we could support it though, other than the sticky. Which that doesn't seem to be doing us much good.

But just making sure users are still aware of it should help some. Some of the old posters pop back in there, like Adri (he's still around, but not much) and Hammy is starting to pop in there daily once again, which is cool.

I'm surprised more active users like Deanhills, Ocalhoun, etc. don't pop in there ever. Would be nice to see more active users in the IRC channel.
truespeed
You would probably get more activity if the more prolific posters linked it in their sigs.
Peterssidan
I think truespeed is right. Few people look at the front page (I think) so signatures will be more effective.
Ghost Rider103
Peterssidan wrote:
I think truespeed is right. Few people look at the front page (I think) so signatures will be more effective.

Really you think so? I honestly view the front page ever day. I always type in frihost.com to get here.

As for sig links, I doubt it. A bunch of people, including me have put info about it in our sigs before. I even made a bunch of custom signatures to advertise it. It really didn't help too much.

I'll link you guys to the signatures tomorrow. Would do it now but I'm on my iPhone so can't be bothered to do it right now. Razz
Josso
Can I register a nick on DALnet? Haven't used any IRC server for a long time... also any hide-IP options? Do I have to go to a mod first etc

Oh also a sticky might help.
truespeed
Josso wrote:

Theres one in general chat
Ghost Rider103
Josso wrote:
Can I register a nick on DALnet? Haven't used any IRC server for a long time... also any hide-IP options? Do I have to go to a mod first etc

You can register a nick in dal.net.

For the ip options I'm not sure. But you don't even have to register if you don't want. Just sign on dal.net use any nickname and join on #frihost and your all set.
Josso
truespeed wrote:
Josso wrote:

Theres one in general chat

That shows how much I subconciously ignore stickies. *realises it was a rubbish suggestion*

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
You can register a nick in dal.net.

For the ip options I'm not sure. But you don't even have to register if you don't want. Just sign on dal.net use any nickname and join on #frihost and your all set.

As far as I know guests are IP transparent to anyone not just mods, admins etc, you have to register to get the anon IP, well that's how it was on freenode I will just read up on their site thanks anyway.
Ghost Rider103
You can join the room as a guest and it won't be much different than a registered name.

I often join in as a guest (guests can choose any nick) from my cell phone.
Ghost Rider103
Ok here's a link to one set of signatures I made, posted by Max: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-12060-16.html

He had me design up a good set of IRC banners a while back and he helped promote them. Quite a few users used to wear the sigs, some, like Adri, still do.

Here's a few more on this page that I posted: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-12060-17.html