FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

about.php

Josso
Nothing particually important...
http://www.frihost.com/about.php

Suggest that the number of users and posts get updated to the live-numbers type like on the homepage, various details on this page out of date.

Cheers
deanhills
Josso wrote:
Nothing particually important...
http://www.frihost.com/about.php

Suggest that the number of users and posts get updated to the live-numbers type like on the homepage, various details on this page out of date.

Cheers
Well spotted Josso. Lots of stuff that needs updating

Hmmm ..... Ocalhoun and Ghost Rider are missing. That is important!
ocalhoun
Well...

I might just be able to do something about that!

*poof*

All fixed now!

(Of course, thanks to Bondings for making that page editable by moderators a while back!)
(Oh, and I also didn't add Ghost Rider... Each person gets to write their own descriptions.)
deanhills
I'm itching to rewrite it. As it says so little about the real Ocalhoun we know. Where do I start?

This guy is versatile. You'll find him posting everywhere on the Board with the same high quality and depth of understanding of the subject. Get into Politics and Ocalhoun has studied all aspects of the Constitution of the US, right through to making a recommendation for a new Constitution. It's obvious that he has given politics in the US very careful thought and his ideas on the subject are always well thought through and thoroughly presented.

Get to the Phil&Rel Forum and this guy can hold his own with everyone, particularly the trolls. Get to the IT Forums, and he has insights of how everything works, he is a great help to newbies in the Support Forums as well. Get to the Hobbies Forum and we discover a detailed Manual for a survival Kit for spending time in the outdoors, including rock climbing. He is super with creating four-wheel drive vehicles out of scrap. None of the parts go to waste. He is a boffin on fire arms, knows quite a bit about gun legislation. And has a beautiful horse, Jay, that he rescued from being made into horse meat. Jay may soon be getting a pal as well.

Ocalhoun is also famous for introducing a culture of ponies to Frihost. You'll meet them in quite a large number of his posts of the last few months or so.

One could probably go on forever. This guy has made a great mark on Frihost. Why it took so long for him to be made a Moderator boggles the mind.
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Ocalhoun is also famous for introducing a culture of ponies to Frihost.

I'm sort of terrified of these so called "ponies."

But I'm going to give it a shot....

Nope. Not doing that again... Laughing
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Ocalhoun is also famous for introducing a culture of ponies to Frihost.

Laughing I think they are great characters. The way Ocalhoun is using them is also creative. He must have a little library of faces that match emoticon style responses.
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

But I'm going to give it a shot....

Nope. Not doing that again... Laughing

Yeah...

I'm afraid you're not very good at it.

Just leave the pony-posting to the experts, okay?

deanhills wrote:
The way Ocalhoun is using them is also creative. He must have a little library of faces that match emoticon style responses.

Little?

147 of them, and counting... and I'm only on episode 11!

...But I think you exaggerate me quite a bit in your description!
Call it humility if you will... but I drive 4x4's... not build them out of scrap... and there are parts of the constitution I haven't studied much at all... and plenty of IT problems that I have no useful input on at all.

As for why it took so long to become a moderator... well, I've changed a lot since I first joined.
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:

If bronys are so popular you should set up a site for your emoticons to share with code to paste elsewhere. It could be both popular and profit making (Providing you add adsense)
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

If bronys are so popular you should set up a site for your emoticons to share with code to paste elsewhere. It could be both popular and profit making (Providing you add adsense)

I'll probably submit it to one of the established brony websites -- after I complete all of season 1.
I don't think it would generate enough traffic to make adsense worthwhile, so I'll just settle for my 15 minutes of fame within the brony community.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
truespeed wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

I'll probably submit it to one of the established brony websites -- after I complete all of season 1.
I don't think it would generate enough traffic to make adsense worthwhile, so I'll just settle for my 15 minutes of fame within the brony community.
Truespeed is right Ocalhoun. It would be wonderful if you could share those with us as well. We will give you fame for life at Frihost .... how's that for a good trade!
Very Happy
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Truespeed is right Ocalhoun. It would be wonderful if you could share those with us as well. We will give you fame for life at Frihost .... how's that for a good trade!
Very Happy

Well, of course I'll share them here as well...

After I finish season 1.
(Limited by internet bandwith limits -- satellite internet sucks. To be able to capture them well, I need to download the shows in 720p, but the low bandwidth cap on my satellite internet connection makes that difficult. I'll be getting cable internet at my new place though, so once I move I'll be able to finish quickly. Wait 'till mid-January, then they'll be ready.)
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:

Where is this brony community,i have searched a little and can't find a properly dedicated brony forum with a TLD,i found one using a free forum domain but it was a bit naff,plenty of posts though.

( I have read there is lots of stuff over at 4chan,but even typing bronies 4chan into google doesn't bring 4chan up in search)

Typing brony forum into google however does come up with a lot of threads on various forums discussing them.

Typing bronies into google and the only half decent bronies content on the first page is on bronies.memebase.com and that isn't even a bronies dedicated site.

There are 430 000 search results for the term bronies,i think if anyone built a half decent site using a TLD with just the word bronies in it then you could easily get 1st page google listing and guaranteed traffic.

.com/.net/.org are gone, (.net and .org have no content and .com is just a map of where all the bronies are located) ,but pretty much all the rest are still available,including .tv and .us.

I am not saying if you build it they will come,but for the price of a domain and hosting i think its worth a shot,a well made site with a blog front page for brony news with an added forum for fellow bronies to chat could well be successful.
Blaster
I never even knew this page existed... lol but it must have been here a while considering some of the people on that list seem to not be around anymore.

And Ghost... The ponies scare me too
SonLight
I don't know where the hangouts are, but here's another introduction to the phenomena:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic

Quote:
Fans outside the show’s demographic, especially teen and adult male fans, have come to be known as “bronies”, and occasionally use ponies to derail threads. Although fans are generally known as bronies all across the internet, on 4chan, bronies who post ponies mainly on /co/ have been called “colts”.

A quick introduction to the history of the show and how it came to be "slashdotted":

Quote:
On October 10, 2010, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was aired as part of the debut of the new television network, The Hub, which replaced Discovery Kids. On October 19, 2010, Cartoon Brew[1] wrote an article about the show titled “The End of the Creator-Driven Era in TV Animation”, which had an oddly alarmist tone to it. Threads on 4chan’s comic and cartoon board, /co/, attacked and made fun of the article for this reason. The article and the threads generated /co/’s initial interest in the show, causing several members to go and watch the first episode. After the second episode aired on October 22nd, threads about the ponies started to boom even more, gaining the show fans outside of its target demographic.
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:

And Ghost... The ponies scare me too

^.^

There's good reason to be scared!

truespeed wrote:

Where is this brony community,i have searched a little and can't find a properly dedicated brony forum with a TLD,i found one using a free forum domain but it was a bit naff,plenty of posts though.

Brony forum? No good ones that I know of.
I would submit it on Equestira Daily or My Little Brony.

...Come to think of it... I could make a TLD brony forum... plenty of coins for a free domain, plenty of webspace, and a three day weekend...
^.^
I think I'll try it!
...I wonder if 'bronyville.com' is taken?
Quote:

( I have read there is lots of stuff over at 4chan,but even typing bronies 4chan into google doesn't bring 4chan up in search)

Try ponychan.
That's the 4chan-like site that was set up after 4chan banned ponies.
(On that note -- wow, banned from 4chan! That's powerful stuff!)
Quote:

Typing brony forum into google however does come up with a lot of threads on various forums discussing them.

Like this one!

Quote:

Typing bronies into google and the only half decent bronies content on the first page is on bronies.memebase.com and that isn't even a bronies dedicated site.

Ah, you'll be wanting Equestira Daily then.
It is a brony dedicated site, with lots of great content, and popular enough to get 60 million views so far.
Quote:

There are 430 000 search results for the term bronies,i think if anyone built a half decent site using a TLD with just the word bronies in it then you could easily get 1st page google listing and guaranteed traffic.

I think I shall test that theory.
Quote:

I am not saying if you build it they will come,but for the price of a domain and hosting i think its worth a shot,

What price?
I've got plenty of coins for a free domain, and the host I already have for my other sites has unlimited space and bandwidth. ^.^

I'm getting excited about it now!

*goes off to make 3 domain requests at the same time*
Sorry, Bondings, but it's time for a new site, and I've recently learned the value of registering the domain for a long time!
Ghost Rider103
I think something in the TOS should be added about requesting free domains about... "brony?" type websites. We also shouldn't allow users to host anything to do with... "bronies."

I better talk to Bondings about removing all of this from the forums. Laughing
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I think something in the TOS should be added about requesting free domains about... "brony?" type websites. We also shouldn't allow users to host anything to do with... "bronies."

Aw, don't worry... The domain is through godaddy, and the hosting is on my paid server (in case it becomes popular and needs lots of space/bandwidth... Besides, with unlimited space/bandwidth, I can allow image uploads with complete impunity... which should be a popular feature for a brony website.)
Quote:

Blaster
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I'll 2nd the motion
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I'll 2nd the motion
You've got my vote too. Bronies and ponies. I probably need to change my Avatar.
Twisted Evil
Blaster
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I'll 2nd the motion
You've got my vote too. Bronies and ponies. I probably need to change my Avatar as well. Think it will be an eagle this time round.
Twisted Evil

You are just as guilty as ocalhoun deanhills...
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I'll 2nd the motion
You've got my vote too. Bronies and ponies. I probably need to change my Avatar as well. Think it will be an eagle this time round.
Twisted Evil

Absolutely. There are a few threads that are a testimony to that. But I think I've just had a change of mind. Think it started when I was watching the first episode of the new season and wondering what I was doing. So I guess this was a case of temporary insanity.
Blaster
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I'll 2nd the motion
Twisted Evil

Absolutely. There are a few threads that are a testimony to that. But I think I've just had a change of mind. Think it started when I was watching the first episode of the new season and wondering what I was doing. So I guess this was a case of temporary insanity.

I've never seen it... and quite frankly it scares me to think about watching it. I feel as though if I were to watch it I would lose my mind... or maybe i would need to lose my mind to watch it...
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
or maybe i would need to lose my mind to watch it...
I'm sure it has to be this one ...
Twisted Evil
Blaster
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
or maybe i would need to lose my mind to watch it...
I'm sure it has to be this one ...
Twisted Evil

I'll let you know if I ever lose my mind then...
ocalhoun
ocalhoun wrote:

Quote:

I am not saying if you build it they will come,but for the price of a domain and hosting i think its worth a shot,

What price?
I've got plenty of coins for a free domain, and the host I already have for my other sites has unlimited space and bandwidth. ^.^

I did it!

Snagged www.BronyVille.org, and BronyVille.info (because they only wanted $.49 for that extra registration!)
...Unfortunately, Bronyville.com is taken, though the domain isn't even parked anywhere, just a 404.

And... after a few days of working on it, I've managed to make what (in my not-so-humble opinion) is an extremely awesome forum style for it.
(Give it a look... even if you don't like ponies, I still wanna show off my work!)

Now, to get some initial posts on there and start promoting it...
Ghost Rider103
ocalhoun wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Quote:

What price?

I did it!

Snagged www.BronyVille.org, and BronyVille.info (because they only wanted $.49 for that extra registration!)
...Unfortunately, Bronyville.com is taken, though the domain isn't even parked anywhere, just a 404.

And... after a few days of working on it, I've managed to make what (in my not-so-humble opinion) is an extremely awesome forum style for it.
(Give it a look... even if you don't like ponies, I still wanna show off my work!)

Now, to get some initial posts on there and start promoting it...

Absolutely horrifying!!! Shocked

Laughing

The idea of course. The design aspect isn't bad at all though! Good work there. But the whole brony idea, well, I'll have nightmares tonight.
deanhills
Well done Ocalhoun! In such a short space of time, where do you find all the energy? Just one question. Why is Pinky upside down?
Very Happy
mahirh
seems like frihost should get a brony section
deanhills
mahirh wrote:
I'm sure that will make Ocalhoun very happy!

Wink
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Just one question. Why is Pinky upside down?

Because she's Pinkie Pie... and she's random. ^.^
(And because I needed something in that corner to balance it out.)
mahirh wrote:

Naw... I think there would be no more than 5 people here who would use it.
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:

mahirh wrote:

You don't like to talk to yourself?
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

mahirh wrote:

You don't like to talk to yourself?

Well, yeah...

But I can do that without a special forum!
Josso
As you can see here, a fascinating site... just behind those bushes, next to the grass - is a wild ocalhoun - a mystical creature. Our researchers have been tracking the ocalhouns movement over the past few days and they have established that in this thread alone there has been an average of nearly 1 and a quarter ponies per post. Research in the 1930s suggested that during a particually warm summer a wild ocalhoun can produce an average of up to two ponies per post.
ocalhoun
Josso wrote:
As you can see here, a fascinating site... just behind those bushes, next to the grass - is a wild ocalhoun - a mystical creature. Our researchers have been tracking the ocalhouns movement over the past few days and they have established that in this thread alone there has been an average of nearly 1 and a quarter ponies per post. Research in the 1930s suggested that during a particually warm summer a wild ocalhoun can produce an average of up to two ponies per post.

Observations being made in the field:
Dementei
deanhills
@Dementei .... a good one! Laughing

Dementei