FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Helloween and Thanksgiving and other weird special days

Hello_World
Okay these are two special days invented by the Americans.

I rather like Halloween, good job lol.

I was curious how these days came about, and what they really mean.

I have heard that Thanksgiving isn't a religious day, but the name sure sounds like it to me. We don't do it at all, and eat Turkey at Christmas.

I heard Halloween is supposed to be religious, although I can't see how.

Also, tell me what other fun days you have in your various countries that you invented or have traditionally.
Hello_World
Oh. I should share too. We have Melbourne Cup Day, everyone gets a day off to dress in their finest dresses and hats and suits and go to the horse races.

Actually it is a lot of fun, but a strange reason to have a big public holiday I admit.

Pretty much everyone puts a bet on in some form.
czarcasm
Well Thanksgiving is a day to celebrate the pilgrims' success during their first harsh winter (thanks to the natives) which allowed for the United States to become what it is known as today. At least that's what it's supposed to be. It's turned into more of a family gathering full of food, mainly turkey.

Halloween; however, is actually All Soul's Eve (All Soul's Day being a Catholic church holiday celebrating the dead in Heaven). Somehow that has gotten turned into a "spooky" time in which people dress up in costumes and become slightly obsessed with scaring themselves...
funyug
I wanna know why christmas is celebrated.
truespeed
funyug wrote:

Because we all love Jesus and turkey.
czarcasm
truespeed wrote:
funyug wrote:

Because we all love Jesus and turkey.

presents*
Hello_World
Christmas is the death of Jesus, who they say died to save humans, so apparently it was a great thing.

It is a nice holiday, a time to catch up with family. Have a BBQ and platter of cold meats, including turkey, if you are from my part of the world.

Presuming you are not being sarcastic, which you probably are. Never mind.

That makes a bit more sense to me now, the whole Halloween link to religion, because I was not brought up catholic and don't know their traditions. I didn't realise Catholics had a strong influence in the US.

Is Thanksgiving controversial in US/Canada? The day we celebrate Australia Day is controversial here because it is the day the English landed on Australian soil, and that is not really such a great day for the indigeounous people.

It occurs to me that the 'native' people of America would probably prefer to be thanked in a more tangible way than families stuffing themselves silly... curious. I know the Aboriginal people would complain if we did a similar thing, although they'd love a day dedicated to them that people actually celebrated, I'm sure.
Peterssidan
Hello_World wrote:
Christmas is the death of Jesus, who they say died to save humans, so apparently it was a great thing.
That's Easter. Christmas is the birth of Jesus.
Hello_World
LOL SORRY that was a big mistake... lol yes I knew that LOL!

Yes, the birth of Jesus... thanks Peterssidan.

Oops...
beatbox0792
Okay these are two special days invented by the Americans.
I rather like Halloween, good job lol.
I was curious how these days came about, and what they really mean.
I have heard that Thanksgiving isn't a religious day, but the name sure sounds like it to me. We don't do it at all, and eat Turkey at Christmas.
I heard Halloween is supposed to be religious, although I can't see how.
Also, tell me what other fun days you have in your various countries that you invented or have traditionally.