FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

7.2 magnitude earthquake hits Turkey ....

deanhills
Really sorry to hear about the earthquake that hit Turkey and hope that our Frihost members from Turkey and their families are OK.

Article: BBC News
funyug
Earthquakes increasing day by day. In india every week we experience a minor earthquake..
ocalhoun
funyug wrote:
Earthquakes increasing day by day.

Statistical evidence please...
funyug
Although they arent much harmful but they are making our buildings weak.
metalfreek
I myself have experienced earthquake a months back. I live in Nepal and the magnitude that hit us was about 6.7, it did a lot of damage in india but only few people died here in Nepal. I feel fortunate to be alive at this point because the shaking was so intense and long that I was sure it was the end.

Here is the BBC article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14965598
deanhills
metalfreek wrote:
I myself have experienced earthquake a months back. I live in Nepal and the magnitude that hit us was about 6.7, it did a lot of damage in india but only few people died here in Nepal. I feel fortunate to be alive at this point because the shaking was so intense and long that I was sure it was the end.

Here is the BBC article

I wonder how much of the mortality had to do with the tall buildings in that area and the fact that they had not been built to withstand earthquakes of that magnitude.

Must be pretty traumatic to live through an earthquake like that.
metalfreek
deanhills wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

Here is the BBC article

I wonder how much of the mortality had to do with the tall buildings in that area and the fact that they had not been built to withstand earthquakes of that magnitude.

Must be pretty traumatic to live through an earthquake like that.

That moment was very very intense especially when more than 90% of homes are build without Earthquake resistant techniques. I still cannot believe that 6+ magnitude scale earthquake did almost no damage to capital city Kathmandu. Only 3 people died in capital due to wall collapse and that's it. I know its a good news that only few lives were lost but still the intensity of quake and fatalities doesn't match up considering the fact that almost all buildings are poorly built and without proper Engineering techniques.
deanhills
metalfreek wrote:
the intensity of quake and fatalities doesn't match up considering the fact that almost all buildings are poorly built and without proper Engineering techniques.
Right! Also, most of the people in that area are Kurds? And the Turkish authorities are at loggerheads with them so there may be a problem for the media to authenticate their stories thoroughly. Particularly since there are many Turkish soldiers in the area too. Or am I being paranoid now?
therimalaya
Really sorry for them, May god bless them and help them to rebuild their state...