FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reformatting hard drive failure

Tony The Tiger
I have been trying to reformat a hard drive that got corrupted recently. When I do a full format, the progress bar gets hung up about a quarter of the way through. I assume I have a corrupted sector but I do not know what to do. Any advice?
badai
i just happened to me last week. i'm using western digital and got 3 years warranty. so return back to western digital.
Tony The Tiger
badai wrote:
i just happened to me last week. i'm using western digital and got 3 years warranty. so return back to western digital.

Mine was Western Digital as well, but I purchased in January 2007. I am SOL. I purchased a 160 GB Western Digital replacement (the original was 120 GB) on eBay for $28.75 on Tuesday. It arrived today. It arrived in RAW and I am currently formatting it to NTFS. I hope all goes well and I am up and running soon.
ocalhoun
You can usually salvage part of a drive like that.

Say, the 120Gb drive gets through 75% of the formatting process without crashing.
In that case, you might be able to make a (less than) 80Gb partition, and format that partition successfully.

Back in the day, I once used a 'bad' 20Gb drive as a 5Gb drive perfectly well for years. As long as the bad sectors are not in the partition you're using, it can work.

I wouldn't trust a drive with one failure already to store your data reliably though... I would only use it for things you could easily afford to lose.