FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Closing tags

jcreus
Hi,

When posting messages, and using the buttons to add format, if I close the tags manually, they are added at the end of the post when posting. Does it happen to anyone else? I find it annoying, and I believe that it would be great to have it fixed.

Thanks a lot.
ocalhoun
It happens because you open the tag using a button, then close it manually.

If you open and close it with the button, or open and close it manually, that won't happen.
It only causes problems when you mix the two methods.

If you look at the button after you click it, there will be a '*' on it. That * means that (as far as the editor is concerned) the tag is still open, so if you click 'submit' while any of the tag buttons still have a * on them, the tags will automatically be closed as it is submitted... Which messes things up if you manually closed it.

Would it be better if it wasn't this way? Yes, but that would require some in-depth coding, and there are other, higher-priority things that need to be done.
So, for now, just use the buttons to close tags when you open them that way.

*edit*

Almost forgot to mention. There's a much easier way to do such things...
If you're trying to post an image, for example, type or paste in the url for the image with no tags on it at all, then select the text of the url, then click the 'Img' button for the tags.
Your selected text will be put inside the img tags automatically then, both opening and closing, and that method can be used for quotes, urls, bolding, pretty much any of the tags.
jcreus
ocalhoun wrote:
It happens because you open the tag using a button, then close it manually.

If you open and close it with the button, or open and close it manually, that won't happen.
It only causes problems when you mix the two methods.

If you look at the button after you click it, there will be a '*' on it. That * means that (as far as the editor is concerned) the tag is still open, so if you click 'submit' while any of the tag buttons still have a * on them, the tags will automatically be closed as it is submitted... Which messes things up if you manually closed it.

Would it be better if it wasn't this way? Yes, but that would require some in-depth coding, and there are other, higher-priority things that need to be done.
So, for now, just use the buttons to close tags when you open them that way.

*edit*

Almost forgot to mention. There's a much easier way to do such things...
If you're trying to post an image, for example, type or paste in the url for the image with no tags on it at all, then select the text of the url, then click the 'Img' button for the tags.
Your selected text will be put inside the img tags automatically then, both opening and closing, and that method can be used for quotes, urls, bolding, pretty much any of the tags.

Thanks a lot! I had never seen the * before. And also thanks for the image tip.