FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I think I found a bug

Da Rossa
I have posted a long reply in some forum. It has many quote blocks inside, but the post itself is not a big quote.

Then, I edited ASAP when I saw a grammar error. When I saved, it displayed "you earned 1 point for that post." It's weird because editions don't give you more than some decimals of a point.

When the page reloaded to see the just-edited (in only two characters, by the way) post, I say the entire post was under a big quote block, with the already-there minor quotes inside.

So far, I accumulated 6 points.

Then I edited again, removing the initial and final quote and /quote, so the post would stay "regular". I got another 4 points for that. Total of 10.

Nice! Very Happy Twisted Evil
deanhills
This is a mystery. I do plenty of editing but something like this has never happened to me before.

Are you sure all of the points got added and that some of the points had not been subtracted? As when we remove text and we should be losing points, the points dialog screen message says we're earning points. Whereas if you check your points stats at the same time, you will notice that points have been subtracted as they should have.
Da Rossa
Yes, I climbed to 54 points, perhaps from 45 or a little less than 45.

As usual, i don't type my replies directly in the text field. I can lose data or, if the server is irresponsive, hitting "back" will void my text. So I use a Plain Text Editor.

I copy the message I want to quote in pieces, then add the quote/quote enclosing them semi-automatically, using AutoHotKey (a combination of keys will write the quote bb code, put the cursor in the middle of them, then paste the clipboard content).

But that time it happened. The strange thing is, when I edit, then I use the forum text field directly. In that edition, I replaced "has" with "have".
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Yes, I climbed to 54 points, perhaps from 45 or a little less than 45.

As usual, i don't type my replies directly in the text field. I can lose data or, if the server is irresponsive, hitting "back" will void my text. So I use a Plain Text Editor.

I copy the message I want to quote in pieces, then add the quote/quote enclosing them semi-automatically, using AutoHotKey (a combination of keys will write the quote bb code, put the cursor in the middle of them, then paste the clipboard content).

But that time it happened. The strange thing is, when I edit, then I use the forum text field directly. In that edition, I replaced "has" with "have".
I'm curious. Do you have a link for the message or was it a non-Frihost forum?
Very Happy
Da Rossa
No, it was right here.

Look for "PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:46 pm"

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-128306-2.html

Oops, now I see the message has been douple-posted. Question Question More mistery!
ocalhoun
Fixed the double post.

And, yes, if you managed to get 10 points for one post, something did go wrong...
Thankfully, it seems like that is pretty rare... After 10k posts, I've never personally seen it happen.
It would probably require some very in-depth debugging of the points calculation to figure it out.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
No, it was right here.

Look for "PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:46 pm"

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-128306-2.html

Oops, now I see the message has been douple-posted. Question Question More mistery!
OK. the double posts have happened to me very occasionally in the beginning. Not lately though. It happened when I by accident clicked on the edit instead of the quote button. However, I've heard of instances of double posting that had nothing to do with the edit/quote button. Great Ocalhoun could fix it however.
Da Rossa
Well, this is my 1610+th post and never saw that happening. Probably won't happen again. Still, some people could have been taking advantage of it ever since. And I might have done something wrong in my way (could have hit a hotkey to autopaste "quote/quote". I'll never know.

So I have a feeling that a in-depth debuggin' will take more labour than the advantage itself.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Well, this is my 1610+th post and never saw that happening. Probably won't happen again. Still, some people could have been taking advantage of it ever since. And I might have done something wrong in my way (could have hit a hotkey to autopaste "quote/quote". I'll never know.

So I have a feeling that a in-depth debuggin' will take more labour than the advantage itself.
Agreed. I'm rarely fixated on my points, except when I want the numbers to rhyme, i.e. I would like double digits etc. I love stats and like to play with numbers that way.
Twisted Evil
Da Rossa
OMG I THINK I GOT ITI

I know the procedure to reproduce!!

1 - Write a decent post. Decent means "a post that would grant you more than 3 points".
2 - Edit your just-posted message. Edit a slight character in it. In the above message, I changed "debugging" do "debuggin'".
3 - Enclose the entire message with quotation code. Save the edited message. You'll get some points for that. On the message above, I got 1.74 for the edition.
4 - Edit again, now removing the quote code from beginning and end. Save again, and watch the points you get. I didnt see, but if I'm not forgetting other posts I did prior to that, this last edition granted me 3.01 points.

So, to sum up: ~3+1.74+3.01 = ~7.75 points!
deanhills
OK. I'll try it out later in the day. Sounds like a heck of a lot of editing though. Even by my standards! Can't remember that I've ever used quotes, so who knows, maybe the quotes are the key.
Laughing
Da Rossa
Didn't know you were a coder, Dean. I only knew you were the webmaster behind the DoD website Razz
rajpk
Da Rossa wrote:
OMG I THINK I GOT ITI

I know the procedure to reproduce!!

1 - Write a decent post. Decent means "a post that would grant you more than 3 points".
2 - Edit your just-posted message. Edit a slight character in it. In the above message, I changed "debugging" do "debuggin'".
3 - Enclose the entire message with quotation code. Save the edited message. You'll get some points for that. On the message above, I got 1.74 for the edition.
4 - Edit again, now removing the quote code from beginning and end. Save again, and watch the points you get. I didnt see, but if I'm not forgetting other posts I did prior to that, this last edition granted me 3.01 points.

So, to sum up: ~3+1.74+3.01 = ~7.75 points!

i have tested but not good not working on my side just .005 difference and in my thoughts its normal
Smile
so no need to change or modify script:) no BUG working good
thanks
Ghost Rider103
Da Rossa wrote:

This is where you are getting confused.

The system will tell you that you've gained x amount of points for adding quote tags. However any text that is inside of a quote tag, you will not receive points for - ever. However, the system will tell you that you did gain points, when technically you just lost points.

This has been a known error for quite sometime. When you remove text from your own post, it will mistakenly tell you that you just gained points. However it actually deducts points. Same goes for adding quotes. Since adding quote tags is pretty much the same thing as removing text, it's going to say you just gained x amount of points, but you really didn't.

Now the initial way you got extra points was by double posting. This is probably why you thought you gained extra points, since you just double posted you actually got extra points. However this was just reversed by Ocalhoun.

Edit: just tested to make sure that's how it works. Yep, taking away text from your own post will tell you that you just gained points. But you actually don't.
Da Rossa
Oh No.... I thought I became an important guy for finding that Very Happy Twisted Evil

Thanks for attention!
Ghost Rider103
It's better you were wrong anyways.

We wouldn't want to find a bug. That would make more work for Bondings, and he already has his work cut out for him. Very Happy
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

This has been a known error for quite sometime. When you remove text from your own post, it will mistakenly tell you that you just gained points. However it actually deducts points. Same goes for adding quotes. Since adding quote tags is pretty much the same thing as removing text, it's going to say you just gained x amount of points, but you really didn't.

Heh... I had just remembered that and came here to suggest that was what was happening... but you beat me to it.
Da Rossa
Well, so I was wrong! Fortunately! Very Happy
Josso
I have seen genuine edit bugs before but not for a while - it might be worth noting here that you get points for posting URLs, seems a bit silly as a link isn't really a persons own content.
Da Rossa
You mean URL plainly visible like http://notasdeaula.org/8.html or like this? Notas de Aula oitavo semestre ?
ocalhoun
Josso wrote:
I have seen genuine edit bugs before but not for a while - it might be worth noting here that you get points for posting URLs, seems a bit silly as a link isn't really a persons own content.

Well, you get some extra points for using any kind of bbcode in a post...
That's a built-in feature of the algorithm, as it assumes posts with bbcode in them are posts that people put more time and effort into.

And while the actual text of the url isn't your own work, (assuming you're not a spammer) putting the url in does contribute some to the thread, possibly it might even contribute a lot more than a few lines of text.