FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Will Google Voice Succeed in starting to charge $?

coolclay
Once I found out about Google voice I was on it in seconds. It's a wonderful service and provides me with a house phone service practically for free. I use it in conjunction with ObiTalk which enables me to use a typical house phone directly though a router, no computer needed. It has saved me hundreds of dollars. Not to mention the extremely few times when I do use my cell phone (I have a pay-per-minute plan) its nice for people to call one number and reach me whether I am at my office, at home, or on the road. All in all I spend at most $100 a year on phone communication. I know some people who spend that in a month for a cell phone.

Anyway there is speculation that google will start charging for it's voice service http://www.bnet.com/blog/mobile-internet/q-a-would-google-be-stupid-to-start-charging-for-google-voice/507

I for one obviously don't think they should. They make enough money collecting voice data, and advertisements, etc to make plenty on this service. I think if they did start charging I would leave google voice, tell everyone I changed my number and search for another alternative. I can't imagine I am alone in my feelings the question is how do we pass this on to google. Hopefully with their data mining service they find this post and change there minds Laughing

Regardless in that situation there are other options out there to route my ObiTalk device through, and still get free home service, just not the routing service. Just a typical local line from like ATT costs more than $200 a year and to me that's just ridiculous.

Oh and I am pretty sure buying Skype was a huge strategical move because now they have almost cornered the market, or at least a huge percentage of it anyway.

Does anyone else use Google Voice? Your thoughts?
deanhills
I don't. As I have an irrational dislike of any large company of the size of Microsoft, Apple or Google that could grow into a Big Brother. For me that is one step away from getting in touch with Government and start to make rules and regulations that may take some of our freedom on the Internet away. So I am REALLY wishing for Google to get some real competition to keep them from becoming too powerful and controlling.

BUT having said that, and having read that fantastic article of yours about how one can achieve maximum savings through real frugal living, I'm confident that you will find alternatives whereby your costs will still be almost zero for phone services. You're so in tune with working it out for yourself, I'm dead certain you will find an answer, so hope you will share that with us when you do.

I'm not that knowledgeable, but at the same time can't see the sense of Google charging for the service, as right now this is a niche service for them from a zero "cash" cost point of view. They are cashing in big time with advertisements and perhaps even information of their customers. As soon as they start charging for the service, then they have to compete with all other phone service providers on an equal footing, and hopefully be subject to the same rules and regulations they are. Which could mean that Google won't be able to undercut them price wise?
coolclay
"Grow into big brother" ha I think many of they've been there for years! Not to get off on a tangent (but I am anyway). There are database's that exist that have compiled every bit of data on damn near every single person in the US, what they spend money on, where they shop, what magazines they get, who they vote for, where they work, where they have worked, how much they make, who their relatives are, all past addresses and phone #, and other info I am forgetting at the moment.

I am not just talking about something I've heard about, I've seen it! It's the US voter's database. The GOP used Voter Vault (which I have had the pleasure of perusing), and the Dems use DataMart at least during the 2004 elections anyway.

Here is more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_Vault

It's scary, the info is not being used like Big Brother in "1984" but, it certainly could be. Just the fact that it exists scares the poop out of me, because of the immense power of information. My thoughts are that even if Google is monitoring and recording my phone calls (which they are btw) I am registered under a pseudonym, and even though Google continues to ask me to add more information "for security purposes", I put as little info as possible, and it's usually not true!
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
"Grow into big brother" ha I think many of they've been there for years! Not to get off on a tangent (but I am anyway). There are database's that exist that have compiled every bit of data on damn near every single person in the US, what they spend money on, where they shop, what magazines they get, who they vote for, where they work, where they have worked, how much they make, who their relatives are, all past addresses and phone #, and other info I am forgetting at the moment.

I am not just talking about something I've heard about, I've seen it! It's the US voter's database. The GOP used Voter Vault (which I have had the pleasure of perusing), and the Dems use DataMart at least during the 2004 elections anyway.

Here is more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_Vault

It's scary, the info is not being used like Big Brother in "1984" but, it certainly could be. Just the fact that it exists scares the poop out of me, because of the immense power of information. My thoughts are that even if Google is monitoring and recording my phone calls (which they are btw) I am registered under a pseudonym, and even though Google continues to ask me to add more information "for security purposes", I put as little info as possible, and it's usually not true!
The part that I'm worried about is what has already been happening. Google asks us for a mobile number when we register any account. When I started a new Blog account with a current Blogger Pseudonym, it asked me for my mobile number as well. I've been giving it a slight variation of my real cell number .... Twisted Evil ... but wonder how long it is going to take before those are automatically verified?

Thanks for the Wiki link .... that is a real eye opener.
vidafenomenal
if it's free, that'll be awesome.
standready
vidafenomenal wrote:
if it's free, that'll be awesome.

Google phone is free right now.
coolclay wrote:
Does anyone else use Google Voice? Your thoughts?

I do for all my long distance calls. If they start charging I will with Ooma
menino
My friend was using google voice in the middle east to call his brother in the us, and it was free, and he loved it.... untill Google started charging for it, and gave him 10 cents credit.

I think Google has every right to charge for its services, and we as consumers are free to choose to buy them or go to another provider.
I think Google's voice might be cheaper and with better quality though, but then, I'm not using it.
I hardly keep in contact with many people, and even with family, my conversations aren't long.
I guess I'm not much of a conversationist... even with family. Smile , maybe thats a good thing for my phone bills.
But even if Google does start charging, there will always be others who will come up and make the service free, even for a little while.

In terms of Skype, it was mentioned that Skype will always be free, but Google will mainly use Skype's customer base as a market to tap into.
faten
i dont know
deanhills
Was thinking of you today Coolclay. I rarely pay attention when people wear their earphones, I usually think it's listening to music, but today my colleague was talking, so when I asked him afterwards what was happening, he answered: "Have you heard of Google yet?". He was talking with family in Sudan. I guess one should at least give credit to the technology that makes it possible for millions of people to phone their families almost free of charge!
menino
deanhills wrote:
Was thinking of you today Coolclay. I rarely pay attention when people wear their earphones, I usually think it's listening to music, but today my colleague was talking, so when I asked him afterwards what was happening, he answered: "Have you heard of Google yet?". He was talking with family in Sudan. I guess one should at least give credit to the technology that makes it possible for millions of people to phone their families almost free of charge!

I agree deanhills. Not everything can be free. Laughing
Google and other companies usually make revenue from free services from the advertisements they provide on the page, such as gmail, google+ etc, but with voice technology, I don't see how that is possible unless they interrupt your call with a verbal ad, but I don't see this as really feasible, unless they do it in the beginning of a call, which would be a little annoying, I would think.
coolclay
As much crap as I talk on "social networking" and other online services, it certainly has it's beneficial applications in keeping in touch with family and friends! That still doesn't mean I think checking facebook every 5 min. on an iphone is cool, and I still think twitter is a waste of energy, space, and time!
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
As much crap as I talk on "social networking" and other online services, it certainly has it's beneficial applications in keeping in touch with family and friends! That still doesn't mean I think checking facebook every 5 min. on an iphone is cool, and I still think twitter is a waste of energy, space, and time!
Agreed. Particularly in public when we have to listen to personal conversations in full volume whether we wish to or not.
Twisted Evil
standready
coolclay wrote:

I agree! Plenty of time wasting/useless applications on the internet compared to useful applications like Google Voice.
Ghost900
I have not heard one way or another if Google is going to start charging but it seems that they may be better off staying free to avoid competing with Skype which is owned by Microsoft now and all the other digital voice companies out there that they would have to compete with. Staying free would mean that they would be the go to place for anybody looking for an affordable solution to their phone service.
coolclay
For some reason I was thinking it was Google that bought Skype, but you're right it was MS.
missdixy
coolclay wrote:
I still think twitter is a waste of energy, space, and time!

oh no you didn't! Surprised

but anyway, i really hope Google voice doesn't start to charge for it. i mostly use it as a number to give to people/companies/whatever that i don't actually want having my cell phone number, and then i get my calls forwarded either to my cell or just check the gvoice voicemail.
deanhills
missdixy wrote:
but anyway, i really hope Google voice doesn't start to charge for it. i mostly use it as a number to give to people/companies/whatever that i don't actually want having my cell phone number, and then i get my calls forwarded either to my cell or just check the gvoice voicemail.
Brilliant. Just wondering, could one provide that number to Google too when one opens a Google account? Or does it have to be a cell number?
Very Happy