FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ipod touch turn itself off and wont turn back on!?

foumy6
Well I am doing this for my brother this is his story now I do not know, but her says that he put his ipod down on his bed while facebook was updating and it turned of,and now it won't turn back on. I have tried everything I know it is not dead because we tried charging it for an hour and plugging it into many different computers and they wont even register that it is plugged in so I need some help with this soon!!!

This is a 4g ipod touch under a year old so I don't know if there is a manufacturer warranty, because I know that we did not pay for the extra warranty.
Nameless
Probably some critical internal component just died. Not much you can do except check if it's under warranty. I don't know if iPods have easily changeable batteries - if so you could try swapping that out and hoping you're lucky.
deanhills
OK, this is probably a bit extreme and the only time this has happened to me. My remote control for my Humax Satellite receiver died on me about two years ago. I changed batteries. I did everything. I turned off the receiver. Then found that I could work the receiver manually - it had to be something with the remote. And then after lots of trying lost my temper and threw it real hard on the floor. So much so that it split right open and all the parts flew left right and center. The floor consists of hard ceramic tiles, so it was really a very HARD hit. That sobered me up quickly as I rarely do destructive stuff like that, so tried to put all the parts together again, feeling really guilty about it all. You would not believe it, none of the parts had been broken. I took the diagram in the manual and eventually pieced all of it together, AND this is the clincher, the damn thing worked in the end!!!!!! I could not get over that. Wonder whether that is the same mechanism as an on and off switch. That happened to me two years ago, and the remote is still in great shape. (Touch wood!)
Very Happy
coolclay
That's one helluva story. I am fairly adept at fixing most electronics, so anytime any of my friends have any electronics that don't work they give them to me. I'd say 50% of the time it's either bad batteries, a little corrosion, or they put the batteries in backwards or something silly, so 60 seconds after people hand me things to fix, I am handing it back to them. I rarely actually tell them what the issue was, just that I have the magic touch, it's pretty funny to see the bewilderment on their faces. Especially after they have tried like 6 sets of batteries and everything else they could think of!

But anyone I would let it sit a few days, sometimes electronics have "mental breakdowns" and you have to let the battery completely drain before it'll work again, especially in things that you can't take the battery out of (without difficulty anyway) like the Iphone. If it still doesn't work take it to an Apple store they are typically pretty good with warranty (even though I don't trust Apple products for much more than paperweights ). Laughing
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
I rarely actually tell them what the issue was, just that I have the magic touch, it's pretty funny to see the bewilderment on their faces. Especially after they have tried like 6 sets of batteries and everything else they could think of!
Sounds great! You could probably start a thriving business with that?
Very Happy
vidafenomenal
You can just stop using Ipod
Asap170
That is good old Apple for you! Now you gotta send it in and it will cost you like $100 to get it fixed. Not worth it.
cybersa
Asap170 wrote:
That is good old Apple for you! Now you gotta send it in and it will cost you like $100 to get it fixed. Not worth it.

Yeah its true.
Sorry for your ipod. Sad
foumy6
Not my iPod it is my brother's, but I told him to just leave it alone for a while and the next day it was working again which I know iPods do all the time. I just didn't know if that what the case was this time.
deanhills
foumy6 wrote:
Not my iPod it is my brother's, but I told him to just leave it alone for a while and the next day it was working again which I know iPods do all the time. I just didn't know if that what the case was this time.
OK. Great to learn! Wonder what the reason could be? Maybe if it gets to be used for a long while and it gets slightly warm - i.e. just slightly over the normal temperature - it shuts off by itself?

Am sure Ocalhoun may know the answer to this one?
foumy6
Yea my ipod broke 6 months ago except for me somehow while it was in my pocket the frame bent causing the lcd screen to crack and make a huge black splotch on the screen which then over time began spreading to the entire screen. I can how every still use it because the touch screen still registers so I can still play music on it and also even slide the thing and type in the passlock code and open up another music app I have. And I can't get mine fixed because A. I am not paying the insane amount apple wants, B. I have mine jailbroken C. I have an android phone now which is way better and can do all the same stuff and more (LG Optimus V).
deanhills
foumy6 wrote:
A. I am not paying the insane amount apple wants, B. I have mine jailbroken C. I have an android phone now which is way better and can do all the same stuff and more (LG Optimus V).
Great that you can still use it in that state, and you're right, no one will pinch it either. Twisted Evil No wonder your bro has such confidence in you being able to make things work that looks broken.
randy276
Probably some essential inside element just passed away. Not much you can do except examine if it's under guarantee. I don't know if iPods have effortlessly adjustable energy - if so you could try changing that out and wanting you're successful.

Nails
electricfence
i had the same problem with mine , i took it back to apple and they said it was something to do with the battery , but i dont know but only cost me 15 pound to fix from apple
foumy6
I just quit with apple products all together now same with dell all I have are problems with their computers and such so I stick with acer and such now.