FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FORUM IS DEAD

rajpk
hi
i have noticed that our forum is dead
every time i visit forum only 3 to 4 registered members are online
please find a way or give your suggestion to make our forum alive
thanks
deanhills
We're working on it rajpk. If you have any friends you can refer, please do so. You are probably aware you have a Referral link inside your Account, and you can earn coins with it if you get a friend to join Frihost. Send him the URL and if he then registers and participates in the Forum, you can earn extra coins.

Here is more info about the Referral System:
http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-126616.html
Nameless
We have active moderators quickly taking care of spam. We have several members who post often and are well known to most. We have regular serious debates with lengthy, thoughtful posts. We can come back each day and find several dozen active topics to read. I have been a member of dead forums. This is a not dead forum.

This is, however, still a forum with crappy sub-forum arrangement that (among other previously discussed problems) gives a convincing appearance of being dead. So, nudge nudge there.
Ghost Rider103
Judging by the statistics, we're definitely making a big improvement this month over last.

If you want to help boost activity, Deanhills made a great suggestion. Try to make good use of the referral system.

Another way, is to create some quality threads. A post may not generate many posts. However a thread can turn out to be many pages long. So overall, more threads will help us in the long run, as it counts as a post and plays a big roll in being a long discussion starter.

Another way is to just help spread the word. Talk about us on Twitter, Forrst, Facebook, etc. Anyone who's looking for hosting, refer them here.

Frihost isn't dead yet. But it will be if we don't keep at it.
Helios
It's not dead yet and we're still offering some great hosting (for free)!
I'm not familiar with all the recent social websites but some advertising on Facebook and Twitter might help! Get those "likes" going Smile
Ghost Rider103
Helios wrote:
Get those "likes" going Smile

Most definitely!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frihost/159171230765105
ocalhoun
One (easy) way to at least reduce the appearance of being dead would be to increase the 'who's online' timeout.

If you're listed in the 'who's online' section, but don't make any actions for a certain period of time, you get removed from the list. If this time limit is increased, more people will be listed there most of the time (at the cost of the list being accurate).
I think the current time is 5min, but some forums change that to 30min or more.

That at least reduces the 'dead forum' appearance, and makes prospective new users less likely to leave for that reason.

One thing that might help increase real forum activity is to utilize the 'featured topics' more.
We haven't had a new featured topic since June 2011, and we haven't had a non-announcement featured topic since November 2010!
...All the featured topics since November 2010 have been various kinds of announcements... none of them being featured simply because they were a good topic.

I know it's a lot of trouble to put new featured topics up, but I think it is worthwhile to do so... or perhaps some kind of automated or user-submitted system could be put in place.
(Topics that get made into featured topics usually get a lot more posts. I'm guessing that more featured topics would cause a general rise in total post count. It would also directly reduce the 'dead forum' look by highlighting recent, active, high-quality threads.)
deanhills
Well, at least one can see the thread is alive - so by implication the Forum can't be dead.

I can't agree more with Ocalhoun about new Featured Discussions. But that probably necessitates Bondings' presence in the Forum. Does anyone know when he will be returning to the Forum on an active basis? Why I am asking is that maybe we could then start a count-down thread.
rajpk
deanhills wrote:
We're working on it rajpk. If you have any friends you can refer, please do so. You are probably aware you have a Referral link inside your Account, and you can earn coins with it if you get a friend to join Frihost. Send him the URL and if he then registers and participates in the Forum, you can earn extra coins.

Here is more info about the Referral System:
http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-126616.html

yes definitely i will refer my friends to this forum:)
rajpk
Helios wrote:
It's not dead yet and we're still offering some great hosting (for free)!
I'm not familiar with all the recent social websites but some advertising on Facebook and Twitter might help! Get those "likes" going Smile

yes i know . i have great experience of web hosting:)
but i want to say that we need interesting and entertaining posts/threads
deanhills
rajpk wrote:
yes definitely i will refer my friends to this forum:)
That is excellent news. This thread is actually a great thread, almost like jump starting a battery that has not been used regularly enough for a while, but still has some life in it. Now that we have it going however, we really have to keep it up and running. Not only by the regulars, but hopefully with newbies.
Very Happy
Ankhanu
These sorts of "there's not much activity, someone do something" threads are just silly. If we think that the forum is struggling, it is we users, each and every one of us, who are responsible.

If there's not enough activity, become more active. If there aren't enough people on, recruit more people.

It's not someone else's responsibility to make FriHost thrive, it's yours. It's mine. It's every person who's registered. We all have to make the effort.
Nameless
Ankhanu wrote:
It's not someone else's responsibility to make FriHost thrive, it's yours. It's mine. It's every person who's registered. We all have to make the effort.

So let's all continue to hang around and tell each other that! YEAH!
Ghost Rider103
Nameless wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

So let's all continue to hang around and tell each other that! YEAH!

Lol, believe it or not, the more we post the more activity that will come. It will help even with new members.

But I disagree it's our responsibility to keep Frihost alive. Yes it's our duty to post, which we obviously do. However it is Bondings job to market frihost, which gets us new members, ultimately bringing more activity overall, keeping frihost alive.
Ankhanu
My main point was that without people making contributions, there is no board. Without us making some sort of effort to communicate, Bondings can work his little tush off until the end of days and it won't make a lick of difference, the board would still be dead. If we want an active board, we have to be active.
truespeed
Is 150+ posts a day really that bad? I think comparing it to the peak of 2006 makes it look at lot worse than it actually is.
Ghost Rider103
Take a look at the yearly stats. We're at a steady decline in activity. Think about it. Frihost has consistently been getting less and less posts since late 2007. If the trend continues, we're going to spiral down to very slim to no activity.

Even just a few months ago we were way above 150 posts per day.

Are you familiar with reading graphs? The current graph of our activity shows we will not even be hitting 100 post per day in a year.

It's extremely obvious frihost is digging it's own grave.
truespeed
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Take a look at the yearly stats. We're at a steady decline in activity. Think about it. Frihost has consistently been getting less and less posts since late 2007. If the trend continues, we're going to spiral down to very slim to no activity.

Even just a few months ago we were way above 150 posts per day.

Are you familiar with reading graphs? The current graph of our activity shows we will not even be hitting 100 post per day in a year.

It's extremely obvious frihost is digging it's own grave.

I agree there is a steady decline,but as things stand its not that bad,if we could retain the status quo and level off at around that number it wouldn't be that bad.

I think any changes to the fortunes of frihost need to come from Bondings,as you said in another post its not our responsibility to save the site,also from a financial point of view i imagine hes making a lot more money now through ads than he did in the peak years of 2006,by virtue of the increased number of posts,range of topics and increased guest traffic (I am making an assumption here),so with him being busy at the moment and increased revenue,maybe theres not so much of an urgent incentive for him to revive frihosts fortunes.
ogah
this forum not dead, only quiet Smile
maybe other member will back if they need more coins
Josso
Admittedly it's not quite the hive of activity it used to be back in the day but there's still new topics every day and also there's some quality threads.
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:

Well, that said... there are things on the admin side that could be done to make that easier, and to attract new users to help...
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Well, that said... there are things on the admin side that could be done to make that easier, and to attract new users to help...
Right. Like having Bondings around! OK, I realize Bondings IS around in everything that really matters. I.e. Frihost is in great shape technically and I have no doubt he is checking up on some of the posts - particularly in the Suggestions Forum. So I've got a suggestion. Why does Bondings not get someone to impersonate/ghost him, even if it is for a few hours once a week just to work on the featured discussions and get leadership energy vibrating? I vote for Ocalhoun!

I have a few ideas turning around in my head - mostly those we've already discussed:

1. Reset the one-million countdown for posts (minus spam can posts)
2. Start with an immediate practical easy to judge competition - those with the most posts over a one month period. Winner gets a .com, two runners up get .info. Pin the notice as a featured discussion for all Newbies to see. Exclude staff and Elite Frihosters from participating. Twisted Evil
3. Clean up previous competition and announce "Forthcoming Competitions", maybe one every second month. Perhaps we could run a featured discussion first for checking what competitions people would be interested in.
4. New plans for Frihost - maybe an announcement for plans to give Frihost a new look - new Design Committee, or new Forum Content Committee - just the idea of people beavering away and having a mission of sorts to create improvements etc. etc
5. Etc etc

Bottomline is to present an image of Frihost being active with plenty of ideas in the pipeline and people beavering away.
rajpk
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Right. Like having Bondings around! OK, I realize Bondings IS around in everything that really matters. I.e. Frihost is in great shape technically and I have no doubt he is checking up on some of the posts - particularly in the Suggestions Forum. So I've got a suggestion. Why does Bondings not get someone to impersonate/ghost him, even if it is for a few hours once a week just to work on the featured discussions and get leadership energy vibrating? I vote for Ocalhoun!

I have a few ideas turning around in my head - mostly those we've already discussed:

1. Reset the one-million countdown for posts (minus spam can posts)
2. Start with an immediate practical easy to judge competition - those with the most posts over a one month period. Winner gets a .com, two runners up get .info. Pin the notice as a featured discussion for all Newbies to see. Exclude staff and Elite Frihosters from participating. Twisted Evil
3. Clean up previous competition and announce "Forthcoming Competitions", maybe one every second month. Perhaps we could run a featured discussion first for checking what competitions people would be interested in.
4. New plans for Frihost - maybe an announcement for plans to give Frihost a new look - new Design Committee, or new Forum Content Committee - just the idea of people beavering away and having a mission of sorts to create improvements etc. etc
5. Etc etc

Bottomline is to present an image of Frihost being active with plenty of ideas in the pipeline and people beavering away.

agree with you
in my thoughts
1) nice and colorful new design
2) regular competition . not only for domain may be for other things like giving some sort of digital things or giving designation to member (member of month , mod for month)
3) new sub forums (its duty of team management to search quality of topics that can be present here as sub forum like starting a course so people will learn that course and will ask share their thoughts to learner of that course or owner of that course)
4) something exciting
deanhills
rajpk wrote:
4) something exciting

Right .... like this thread ..... hope all of the suggestions here will be infectious ....
Asap170
It's not exactly dead there is still posts being made and that. Yea, things have slowed down, but don't get your hopes down because there will be a busy season. Refer Frihost to your friends and family!
Blaster
Frihost is not dead... Just sick and Weak. Our members need to help by feeding it and making it strong again. Frihost still has a lot of fight left in it so lets make it happen. People want an active forum so if we make it more active they will come...
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Frihost is not dead... Just sick and Weak. Our members need to help by feeding it and making it strong again. Frihost still has a lot of fight left in it so lets make it happen. People want an active forum so if we make it more active they will come...
Definitely helps to have you around Blaster! That counts for almost triple energy. Sort of energizes everyone as well. Do you do it with the firefighting as well?
Very Happy
Blaster
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
Definitely helps to have you around Blaster! That counts for almost triple energy. Sort of energizes everyone as well. Do you do it with the firefighting as well?
Very Happy

Do I do what for firefighting? Get people motivated?
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
Very Happy

Feeding it and making it strong again?
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:
Blaster wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
Very Happy

Feeding it and making it strong again?

Yup you feed frihost with posts and it gets more people to come back to it... No one likes weak things...
rajpk
hi:D
i think we must post on average 2 posts per day. so if all we do that or may be 50 users, it will make 100 posts per day and in one month 3000 posts.

this will cause other people to reply to threads, and result will be active forum.
thanks all of you for commenting/posting on my thread ( Cool our thread )

thanks
Peterssidan
rajpk wrote:
i think we must post on average 2 posts per day. so if all we do that or may be 50 users, it will make 100 posts per day and in one month 3000 posts.

3000 posts isn't much. We have always been on a higher level than that.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
rajpk wrote:

You're right. And this months so far (with 2 days left) we are at 4,832. Would be awesome if we could get to 5000 by end of 31 October ...... maybe if Blaster goes for another marathon of posts to get his points up from 7.95 to 45, generating plenty of response posts in the process, we could get there by end of tomorrow for sure.
http://www.frihost.com/search/post_statistics.php
rajpk
Peterssidan wrote:
rajpk wrote:

hmmm i mean to post or start threads 3000 threads. and reply to these threads if 5 replies to each threads it will be 15000 .now hopefully you got my point.
rajpk
deanhills wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
rajpk wrote:

You're right. And this months so far (with 2 days left) we are at 4,832. Would be awesome if we could get to 5000 by end of 31 October ...... maybe if Blaster goes for another marathon of posts to get his points up from 7.95 to 45, generating plenty of response posts in the process, we could get there by end of tomorrow for sure.
http://www.frihost.com/search/post_statistics.php

you have shared statistics link. nice interesting and new information for me. is it script mean updated automatically. or any thing else. i like it.
sonam
The forum is not dead it is less attractive then before. There is few reasons.

First: the paid hosting from 2005 to 2011 come cheaper and interesting for free hosting are less then before.

Second: some free hosting have better features (bandwidth, space, PHP) then frihost and if you don't need stable and good hosting for your website (for example if you need only for testing) then you don't want to loose time with posting. Just open some free hosting and test on it. If you are loose it who cares. Open another one.

Third: Bondings is less present here then before. Some members waiting response too long. For example one member waiting his free domain about one month. I cannot find his post now. The forum need active owner or moderators with more privileges.

Fourth: The members are not too care about their sites and minus points because some of them go few hundred points in minus and still have hosting. If you don't need to worry about your site then you don't need to post.

Fifth: Social networks use lot of time to their members and then they haven't time for frihost.

Sonam
loremar
sonam wrote:

First: the paid hosting from 2005 to 2011 come cheaper and interesting for free hosting are less then before.

Second: some free hosting have better features (bandwidth, space, PHP) then frihost and if you don't need stable and good hosting for your website (for example if you need only for testing) then you don't want to loose time with posting. Just open some free hosting and test on it. If you are loose it who cares. Open another one.

Third: Bondings is less present here then before. Some members waiting response too long. For example one member waiting his free domain about one month. I cannot find his post now. The forum need active owner or moderators with more privileges.

Fourth: The members are not too care about their sites and minus points because some of them go few hundred points in minus and still have hosting. If you don't need to worry about your site then you don't need to post.

Fifth: Social networks use lot of time to their members and then they haven't time for frihost.

Sonam

GOOD POINTS

Especially this one:
Quote:
For example one member waiting his free domain about one month. I cannot find his post now.

I've already been waiting more than a month now. I made my request September 23, I think. Bondings pop out once in a while but he doesn't seem to respond to requests.

What only motivates me to post now is that I like visiting Frihost. But I'm disappointed since the one that originally attracted me to join Frihost is the free top level domain offer. And now what? How long will I wait?

If I have to renew a top level domain, how long should I wait? It might expire before request gets accepted. Should Frihost still be offering free domains? And what does a frihost coin worth now?
truespeed
loremar wrote:

Should Frihost still be offering free domains?

Thats a good point,if there is nobody around to hand them out when a request is submitted then perhaps the free domain offer should be withdrawn/dropped.
Ghost Rider103
truespeed wrote:
loremar wrote:

Should Frihost still be offering free domains?

Thats a good point,if there is nobody around to hand them out when a request is submitted then perhaps the free domain offer should be withdrawn/dropped.

I'm sure Bondings will eventually get to it. He's been very busy, but I'm sure he won't just leave you hanging. I'm capable of seeing how many domains have been requested/handled, and he's definitely been handing out the free domains on a much larger scale than I thought he would be.

Quote:

Do you have any statistical proof of this? I've been hosted since 2007 (maybe 06) with a paid hosting and I haven't noticed much if any difference in the price.

Quote:

I agree with this. Bondings being active on the forum can definitely have an impact on activity. But more privileges for moderators won't do much. Unless there is a development team put together, which get special privileges to actually modify how the website looks/functions, then that would help by a lot.
mahirh
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
However it is Bondings job to market frihost, which gets us new members, ultimately bringing more activity overall, keeping frihost alive.

that is why he introduced the referral system , which probably means it our job to do it
Ankhanu wrote:
Ghost Rider103
mahirh wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
However it is Bondings job to market frihost, which gets us new members, ultimately bringing more activity overall, keeping frihost alive.

that is why he introduced the referral system , which probably means it our job to do it
Ankhanu wrote:

This opinion will vary from user to user.

If you ask some person off the street who's job it is to market a business, well it would be the business owner, or someone under employment by the business.

If you ask a fan of Frihost, then generally the answer will probably be both. It would be both the owners responsibility and the users, depending on how bad the user wants the company to grow or stay open.

In my opinion, the referral system is like an affiliate system. You are either apart of the system or you aren't. If you think you're obligated to refer people to Frihost, then by all means you are. If you don't want nothing to do with the referral system, then nobody will frown upon you, as it's not nearly a requirement, but is appreciated and you will obviously be awarded if you do so.
Ankhanu
Personally, I'm not talking about FriHost the business, I'm talking about FriHost the community. It's Bondings' job to market the business, it's our job to be a part of the community (if we have any desire to see it succeed and have vitality). FriHost isn't a simple model, and context needs to be recognized, I suppose. If it's seen as a business, then it's the responsibility of the owner(s) to keep it going, but, seen as a community, well, you don't get community without people coming together and sharing... clearly, Frih is a hybrid of the two, but, from my perspective, it is the community that makes Frih, not the business (though the business is ostentatiously the reason for the community to exist).

Hence, my opinions on user responsibility versus owner responsibility.
sonam
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have any statistical proof of this? I've been hosted since 2007 (maybe 06) with a paid hosting and I haven't noticed much if any difference in the price.

I haven't some statistical proof but if you are looking on this site you can see what features have some cheap hosting at 2005.

http://www.webhostingmonkey.com/the-september-2005-cheap-web-hosting-report-2/

If you are compare same prices from 2005 with today then you can see big difference especially with features like unlimited storage, bandwidth and ad on domains. If I can host now unlimited sites on same server without extra cost (at 2005 only one) for me this is much cheaper then before.

http://www.top10bestwebsitehosting.com/?kw=cheap%2520hosting&c=14385141228&t=search&p=&m=e&adpos=1t3&a=281&gclid=CNyc6szuk6wCFUxzfAodFyX3lg

Sonam
Blaster
sonam wrote:

Sonam

Excellent list of reasons. I agree Social networking does take up a lot of my time.

It is true that most accounts arn't terminated after -20 points like they are supposed to.

I agree with the owner part too. Bondings is a great guy and all but in order for a forum to last you need people who can be here regulary which to be honest is just hard to do.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
I agree with the owner part too. Bondings is a great guy and all but in order for a forum to last you need people who can be here regulary which to be honest is just hard to do.
I must say I'm completely perplexed that he can't be here for at least a couple of hours over the weekend. Like maybe two hours on a Sunday afternoon? Can't help but think that he got himself married or something.

Think : On second thought, just thought about it. Could it be the invasion of the ponies? Bondings just took one look at them and completely baulked!
sonam
Quote:
Bondings is a great guy...

Yes he is. Very Happy And I hope he will find good way to keep this forum a live.

Sonam
mahirh
deanhills wrote:
I must say I'm completely perplexed that he can't be here for at least a couple of hours over the weekend

guess he is too busy, too bad there are no other admins on duty. He could have set someone else to be an admin, a lot of stuff is pending.
And this includes -
Quote:
This competition started on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:09 pm and isn't finished yet.

PS: the thread starter should change the topic in order to avoid deterring potential members
Blaster
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
I must say I'm completely perplexed that he can't be here for at least a couple of hours over the weekend. Like maybe two hours on a Sunday afternoon? Can't help but think that he got himself married or something.

Think : On second thought, just thought about it. Could it be the invasion of the ponies? Bondings just took one look at them and completely baulked!

I know what it feels like to have no time So yes I can see him not having the time to come here. He takes the time to pay the bills so can we really ask much more of him for right now?
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
I know what it feels like to have no time So yes I can see him not having the time to come here. He takes the time to pay the bills so can we really ask much more of him for right now?
Well I consider ourselves very lucky, as he is obviously concentrating his available time on ensuring that the technical side of Frihost is working well, which is obviously the real priority in the scope of things. Also, I don't even want to think that he may have to abandon Frihost. I'm quite happy for him to take all the time he needs even if it is a number of months. I'm sure Frihost with its more than million PMs and all the regular stalwarts would be able to survive a long time and Bondings has probably worked that out too.

Quite a number of us have a Wish List of course, and I think discussions about all of our wishes are great to tie us over, the more the merrier. Bondings also obviously has very good feedback how much he is missed around here.
User_X
Interesting but a slightly saddening thread as I looked at the stat page as someone above pointed out.
I think & am hoping with winter just coming in we should have more folks indoors.

I will do what I can here in way of posts. I feel fairly comfortable in my short time here. Still refreshing my account page in hopes of my site approval. So in that time I have a few ideas for some new threads. Must thoroughly search 1st though
Josso
User_X wrote:
Interesting but a slightly saddening thread as I looked at the stat page as someone above pointed out.
I think & am hoping with winter just coming in we should have more folks indoors.

I will do what I can here in way of posts. I feel fairly comfortable in my short time here. Still refreshing my account page in hopes of my site approval. So in that time I have a few ideas for some new threads. Must thoroughly search 1st though

Good stuff - we need some fresh blood
Dementei
On a side note I'm getting newbies posting on very old threads in my Games section, I say it's mine because that is where I reign forevermore.
deanhills
User_X wrote:
Hope you are bumping it as well, why not post something in the Support Forum as well? This is a really great Website - and technically up time is great. Bondings promised he will be back soon so hopefully soon will become a little sooner instead of later!
User_X
deanhills wrote:
Hope you are bumping it as well, ......

Do you mean to get my site approved a bit faster? If so is there a friendly way of doing that?
Thanks
Peterssidan
User_X wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Hope you are bumping it as well, ......

Do you mean to get my site approved a bit faster? If so is there a friendly way of doing that?
Thanks

In the past it has been asked not to start threads to ask how long it will take until it gets approved. I guess that still apply. It's mentioned in a sticky.

There are too few admins around which is especially bad for the new members
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
There are too few admins around which is especially bad for the new members
Exactly why I made the suggestion. Traditional rules may be applicable to a normal situation when we have more than one staff creating and supporting accounts on a daily basis. I'm almost certain Bondings won't mind if someone should try and draw his attention in the Support Forums.