FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can we get a page where all the recent and hot topics are?

Gitesh
Can we get a page where all the recent and hot topics are updated.
Most of the times what happens is that when i reach for a topic to respond it is almost dead as it has been started before few years back, and there is very less chance anyone is going to read my response .
Would it be not good to keep a link to most recent topics or Hot topics today so that good topics dont get neglected easily., pardon my english.
deanhills
The hottest topics are usually in the Featured Discussions on the top of the Forum Index Page. I also have a look at the Unanswered Posts. This link is on top of the Featured Discussions on the far right hand side:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered
Nameless
I find View posts since last visit an easier way to check what topics (including, most importantly, those you are engaged in) are currently active. Smile
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
The hottest topics are usually in the Featured Discussions on the top of the Forum Index Page.

... Except the most recent one to be put there for being a 'hot topic' was 11 months ago...
loremar
Nameless wrote:
I find View posts since last visit an easier way to check what topics (including, most importantly, those you are engaged in) are currently active. Smile

I second that.

The problem I have is when I log out, I won't see those list again.
But I just look at the frihost home to see the latest posts.
Though it would be better if there is a today's post list where we can see what forum it belongs to and who last posted. It would help for me.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
The hottest topics are usually in the Featured Discussions on the top of the Forum Index Page.

... Except the most recent one to be put there for being a 'hot topic' was 11 months ago...
OK, got it .... Embarassed
Gitesh
deanhills wrote:
The hottest topics are usually in the Featured Discussions on the top of the Forum Index Page. I also have a look at the Unanswered Posts. This link is on top of the Featured Discussions on the far right hand side:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

Featured discussion is dating back to June i.e. 2 months back.
Unanswered posts is a good way to find the newest topics and i have bookmarked it already.
But the better way is to search Newposts as it show new topics since you last visited.
It would have been even better if this was created as link on main navigation as its very useful and will increase the peoples engagement with the forum.
Gitesh
Well i have found out the recent posts are present on main www.frihost.com index page but not on forums page. My mistake.
deanhills
Gitesh wrote:
Well i have found out the recent posts are present on main www.frihost.com index page but not on forums page. My mistake.
OK, now that is probably the most valuable contribution so far. I completely forgot about that. Bondings went to a lot of trouble in his last modification of the Home Page last year to include this.

I've just remembered now why I don't really use the "View on Posts Since Last Visit". Since I'm a large volume poster, there are rarely any posts in there for me to view. So the "View Unanswered Posts" is helpful for finding more possibilities to post. Must say however I have not needed to look at that for a number of days now, which is a REALLY good sign that the number of posts have been picking up.
imsarah
although there are hot discussion tags, it is still not easy to read.

it would be better with more pictures and better grouping, I guess.
Ghost Rider103
Gitesh wrote:

Glad someone else noticed it! The frihost home page is quite nice (functionality wise). It offers a great deal of information and easy access to pretty much anything on the site. You can access any forum category from the home page.

The frihost home page should actually be the most commonly used page. It could use a little changing for logged in users, but even without changes it's quite useful.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
The frihost home page should actually be the most commonly used page.
I was wondering about that too, as yes, the Home Page had everything in it. Yet I'm always making a B-Line for Forums. At the time when Gitesh made his comment, I checked it out, and it was all there, and resolved to visit it more often. But that was the last time I visited it. Looks as thought the Home Page is more a place for visitors, and those who have registered would go straight to the Forums. So perhaps some of the info in the Home Page could be incorporated in the Forums page, just don't know how, perhaps have some of it at the bottom of the Forum Index Page? Think
Ghost Rider103
I don't think we need to change the forum page at all, I don't see any use in that.

The home page does look like it's mainly for new users. But it's also very useful for registered members as well. The problem is, you're just used to visiting the forums page all the time instead of the home page.

The current forum page is long enough, adding more stuff to it would add to the clutter.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I don't think we need to change the forum page at all, I don't see any use in that.

The home page does look like it's mainly for new users. But it's also very useful for registered members as well. The problem is, you're just used to visiting the forums page all the time instead of the home page.

The current forum page is long enough, adding more stuff to it would add to the clutter.
I realize that. But it would be interesting to see how many of the regular members visit the home page. You're right however, the content of that page is right on. Just need a slight touch up of the layout and design.

Would be wonderful if we could have different layouts. Ocalhoun is offering two options for backgrounds for example. There is a standard one, and a modified one. He is using phpBB as well, but probably a more up to date version?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

Would be wonderful if we could have different layouts. Ocalhoun is offering two options for backgrounds for example. There is a standard one, and a modified one. He is using phpBB as well, but probably a more up to date version?

I presume you're referring to bronyville...
(And yes, it uses phpbb3, while frihost uses phpbb2... though the home page isn't a standard part of phpbb at all.)

And, if I were to make a design for frihost, I wouldn't make it at all like bronyville.
They're geared towards different audiences; pony fans will enjoy lots of artwork for decoration that changes from time to time, but frihost users, probably not so much.
Bronyville might be prettier, but frihost is more functional and streamlined... and there are good reasons why it should stay that way for both of them.

I do think the homepage could use a bit of simplification, and perhaps a bit more visual flare...
Personally, I would scale down a bit, while adding more interactive elements.
*edit*
Made this into a new suggestion to avoid going further off topic.