FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Local Body Government Should be Transparent





Possum
Hi

I would like to know where my rates go. Imagine a city that used the net to show us everything it did and how much it cost. I am very much pro capitalism. But still a city of people who pay towards that city are really involved in a socialist enterprise. Perhaps socialism would be OK if it was transparent so we could see where our money goes. That would be a great importunity fro an Opensource App.

Transparent Socialism
deanhills
What a fantastic thread Possum. This subject is REALLY close to my heart. I want all banking and all Government financial management to be transparent. And there is a link between the two. If the banking system can be as crooked as it is presently, where you have people's savings and investments managed by the same people who are scoring huge incentive bonuses, then Government management of finances are as crooked by extension. For starters I would like Banks to be regulated so that there will be a separation between our banking accounts, investments and real estate. And ditto Government. We have to be able to see exactly where the Government's income goes and how it is spent, item by item.
Possum
You are right. But where do we start to influence a change. I like the idea of getting control of the local body Government. By running for office or voting in the right people.

Then making all the dealing of the Local body Government totally transparent.

(Where I am New Zealand its called the city council)

Also I think the educational system should be based on this information by doing Time and Motion studies of all local body employees and making this information freely available as course-ware to all citizens. So when people learn they learn about their immediate environment.

Now that we have our socialist Local government up and going. Its time for the creative hard workers to get the benefit of capitalism. For instance I want to design , build and sell Quasar, an always on ADSL Modem Router / Computer and need investors. I believe there is a place for both systems.

Transparent Local Government and Responsible Capitalism.
ocalhoun
But if everything is transparent, how could they hide the corruption?


Not that hiding corruption is a good thing, but for them it is. And that's why they won't increase transparency unless absolutely forced to do so.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
But if everything is transparent, how could they hide the corruption?


Not that hiding corruption is a good thing, but for them it is. And that's why they won't increase transparency unless absolutely forced to do so.
Right on the mark for me too. That is also the reason why for me there is a parallel between how banking business and Government business are managed. There is a big link between Government and the Banks that is mutually beneficial for the two at the expense of the tax payers. It is that link that was responsible for the deregulation of the Banks along the lines of I pat your back, you pat my back.
Possum
OK.. We all know that some bankers and Politicians are corrupt. There is a problem

So there needs to be a reaction.

I believe a strong local body government that is transparent is the beginning of the answer.

Time and Motions studies of all Civic jobs.

This information is put on the net and can be the education system.

I'm just working on this idea so don't be too hard on me.
ocalhoun
Possum wrote:

So there needs to be a reaction.

I believe a strong local body government that is transparent is the beginning of the answer.

Time and Motions studies of all Civic jobs.

This information is put on the net and can be the education system.

Oh, I'm in complete agreement that this should be done... just pointing out why it won't be done.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Possum wrote:

So there needs to be a reaction.

I believe a strong local body government that is transparent is the beginning of the answer.

Time and Motions studies of all Civic jobs.

This information is put on the net and can be the education system.

Oh, I'm in complete agreement that this should be done... just pointing out why it won't be done.
Right! The art of camouflaging numbers has become perfected over the years. Although I'm a bit of a dreamer, I sincerely wish for some justice to even thing out a little. Dream on .....
Possum
Quote:
But if everything is transparent, how could they hide the corruption?


Corruption exist at all levels. From the shop floor to the boardroom. You can't stop it. But you can manage it. Remember dark deeds happen in dark places. The light of transparency will certainly help.

Quote:
The art of camouflaging numbers has become perfected over the years.

Yes . True. But the more people who look at the numbers. The better the chance of seeing the deception. You just have to see the cases where new people have seen old Linux code and seen errors to realize mal practice in an open book system will get caught eventually.

All we need is one town to have a 100% open book policy to see if this idea would work.
deanhills
Possum wrote:
All we need is one town to have a 100% open book policy to see if this idea would work.
I'd be very impressed if that should happen, but like Ocalhoun, I've got my doubts. Hope you will keep us posted! Very Happy
itianda
We want an open gov, which should be more transparent
baboosaa
the way people do their job is all base on the money they get paid at the end or the beginning of month. So the ultimate fantasy man and women have is to get money. corruption is going on because the desire to get something more than the other people in the society. If it's socialism then we would be facing no problem because they no nothing more. Every one has the same thing. and everyone become equal. Then everyone will make all the okay form their sides
deanhills
baboosaa wrote:
the way people do their job is all base on the money they get paid at the end or the beginning of month. So the ultimate fantasy man and women have is to get money. corruption is going on because the desire to get something more than the other people in the society. If it's socialism then we would be facing no problem because they no nothing more. Every one has the same thing. and everyone become equal. Then everyone will make all the okay form their sides
Greed and corruption don't go away with socialism. During the years of Stalin for example there was a very thriving black market that quite a number of Government officials had profited from. They used their power and control to get what they wanted. People are people and if they are of the profiteering kind they would be able to do this in any political system.
Related topics
Sudan Government Refutes Booming Ivory Trade Claims
Democrat's dream of a new bill of rights
Dems: these are merely the facts
Justification for War in Iraq
Enemy Press
Aliens - Myth or reality?
Partial Smoking ban breaches human rights - UK
my site
War on Terror?
to be a Republican...
My Prose
Do you smoke?
Police brutality
Immigration: My ideal solution.
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.