FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are you interested in web development or design?

Which are you interested in?
Web Design / Graphic Design
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
Web Development / Programming / Code
42%
 42%  [ 11 ]
Both
34%
 34%  [ 9 ]
Neither
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 26

Ghost Rider103
Just curious as to how many of you are actually interested in design or development.

We have a few different forums here for both categories but we don't get much activity in them. This may be due to lack of topics in them, or just lack of interest.

In the past I've started up some topics in the graphics/design forums but don't ever get too many replies. I have a lot to talk about when it comes to both subjects, but before I start posting more information/topics there I want to get an idea of how many people are interested in the topics, and perhaps bring some more awareness to that part of the forums specifically.

So, basically just answer the poll. What are you interested in between the two, or are you at all?

Also we could discuss some ways to perhaps increase activity around those parts of the forum. We are a web hosting community, I figure the design and development sections should be extremely active, much more than they are now.
LittleBlackKitten
While technically speaking I am now a professional web designer, I have no real world preparedness, programs, or anything of the like, nor the actual skill to compete fairly in any other sense except perhaps small local businesses and personal pages.
Ghost Rider103
Do you have some sort of portfolio? You say you're a professional web designer, but in what category? A designer in general, programming, or both?

I just feel like there should be a lot more activity in the development forums, being the type of site Frihost is. I come on here and I feel I mostly talk about everything but development. If there were more topics on design and programming, I think I'd post much more and would enjoy it a bit more.
loremar
I'm interested in both but I still don't have the skills yet. I'm trying to learn PHP now unfortunately in a slow pace. Until I learn it, I'm sticking to Wordpress for the moment. Most of my knowledge in programming is c++ and I'm not even a pro. Besides I am also trying to learn game development. I have too many interests, aren't I? I'm like "Jack of all trades, Master of None". Seriously I have not mastered anything. But once I do, I'll be like GOD! Bwahahahahaha! Twisted Evil
Ghost Rider103
That is definitely a lot to all learn at once. But you can do it with enough dedication and time.

But if you're still learning, I'm sure there's a lot of us here at frihost willing to help. Intact the irc channel is great for quick help. I'm constantly in there again, I can help out a lot with design work and comments and hogwarts is also in there who can help out with any programming questions. Theirs also more designers and programmers that pop in there.

Also making good use of the design and programming forums will help. That's mainly the point of this thread, to try to boost activity in those areas on the forums and remind people they are there still.
Peterssidan
I'm not that interested in design. I'm way more interested in programming. I have good knowledge in Java and C++ but I can use other languages. I really enjoy discuss and help others with programming problems.

If I have a question I would only consider asking at frihost if it's web related like PHP or MySQL. Other things there is always other places I can get more/better/faster response.
timetorock
I'm also not particularly interested in design(although i modify some templates myself) than in coding.
I have preety good knowledge of c,c++,javascript and php. But photoshop, html and css are generally out of my grip.
lovescience
I am interested in design. I like to know more about how people in design and programing work with each other.
deanhills
I'm almost certain if we would rotate the Sub-Forums and bring the Web Development forum up where the General Chat is, that there would be more responses.

Thanks for posting those threads Ghost Rider. Will definitely look at the new ones as I am interested in Web development and design. That thread you posted about HTML5 was REALLY neat. Thanks again!
Bluedoll
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I have a lot to talk about when it comes to both subjects, but before I start posting more information/topics there I want to get an idea of how many people are interested in the topics, and perhaps bring some more awareness to that part of the forums specifically.
I'm usually interested in reading about web development and design from a entry level position to interesting ways that sites can be structured. Small tutorial or mentor type posts might be a benefit.
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I have a lot to talk about when it comes to both subjects, but before I start posting more information/topics there I want to get an idea of how many people are interested in the topics, and perhaps bring some more awareness to that part of the forums specifically.
I'm usually interested in reading about web development and design from a entry level position to interesting ways that sites can be structured. Small tutorial or mentor type posts might be a benefit.
Agreed. Like the link to an HTML5 tutorial type Website that was really neat. Works for me!
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-130066.html
Ghost Rider103
Bluedoll wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Reading definitely. But how about discussion about it?

I'm not all that experienced in programming, but I do know some html/css. But I'm very experienced in design.

It's just the low level of activity in the design and development forums that keep me away from them. I'll have to make an extra effort to get the activity in there rise again.
Ghost Rider103
[quote="Ghost Rider103"]
Bluedoll wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Reading definitely. But how about discussion about it?

I'm not all that experienced in programming, but I do know some html/css. But I'm very experienced in design.

It's just the low level of activity in the design and development forums that keep me away from them. I'll have to make an extra effort to get the activity in there rise again.

deanhills wrote:
Bluedoll wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Agreed. Like the link to an HTML5 tutorial type Website that was really neat. Works for me!
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-130066.html

Glad you liked that. I think I have many other things you'd be interested in seeing / reading for more good information. Smile
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Earlier tonight I realized that part of the reason that I may not be posting as regularly as I would want to in the Web Development Section - apart from it being near the bottom of the Forum - is that the topics are not that logically organized. I have to fumble around first before I can get to the topic I'm looking for. For example. I remember you had posted the HTML5 Website, and I at first was looking for it under HTML, then remembered it had to be under Websites. I'd like a Forum with the heading Website Design - and then logical Sub-Forums under it. It would be great to have a special section on Tutorials as well. Smile
Ghost Rider103
There actually is a tutorial forum, it's near the marketplace.

I agree those forums need to be revised. It's been mentioned numerous times. But Bondings is unfortunately a busy man. Hopefully someday he can get around to it.
davidv
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
So, basically just answer the poll. What are you interested in between the two, or are you at all?

Code. I'm very interested in efficiency. The running times of algorithms or how much memory is used.

How different languages perform same functionality. I know that a few languages such as Python have adapted a pretty hacks sorting algorithm, timsort. Timsort is a crazy combination between insertion sort of complexity O(n^2) and merge sort of O(logn).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timsort

I'm also interested in code design and the control flow we choose. Different people have different ways of implementing the same thing. If the community could maybe show off their code, I think everyone will learn a lot from each other.
deanhills
@davidv. This is off topic, but maybe relevant in a way. I'm COMPLETELY in awe of your Internet speed. Is it for real? I haven't seen speed like that before. And particularly the upload speed as well. Must be heaven for you when you're working on the Internet, particularly uploading files to Websites. I'm having difficulty uploading little files like smileys to my Frihost Account, when it gets to bigger ones, I do it manually from my cPanel as that is the most reliable from a not timing out point of view.
Shocked
vidafenomenal
I like both of them.
davidv
deanhills wrote:
@davidv. This is off topic, but maybe relevant in a way. I'm COMPLETELY in awe of your Internet speed. Is it for real? I haven't seen speed like that before. And particularly the upload speed as well. Must be heaven for you when you're working on the Internet, particularly uploading files to Websites. I'm having difficulty uploading little files like smileys to my Frihost Account, when it gets to bigger ones, I do it manually from my cPanel as that is the most reliable from a not timing out point of view.
Shocked

That internet speed is from the University. I think a few friends have recorded even faster results. It is pretty fast I must admit Laughing
Ghost Rider103
So far only two people interested in design. I thought there would be a few more that we're design oriented here in Frihost.

Perhaps I need to work on recruiting some design members to boost the activity in those areas of the forums.

I'll do what I can.

@davidv that is definitely very impressive speed Very Happy
johans
I can say i do both job. The design and development. I think this two are important.
metalfreek
I am not that good at graphics and design but I am trying to learn some coding. I am currently learning PHP and I am planning to learn java script in near future.
codegeek
I have a basic knowledge of Photoshop and can design decent logos, template designs etc. using it. Moreover, I also know some HTML, CSS and can hand code a site from scratch.

However, I do not in general design sites by hand coding. I either use a WSYIWYG designer like Dreamweaver, or I download and edit a template.

I generally use wordpress for my simple blogs. I am learning PHP and Javascript to add functionality to my webpages. I have a great idea for an online gaming community. I am working to get the site running as fast as possible.
RosenCruz
I mostly use ready to use scripts and templates. Not a developer or coder myself Rolling Eyes
XchaosX
I started trying to write basic HTML code on MySpace well at least using the generators and adding my stuff in it I had a small fourm when I did mods for halo 2 but was having trouble maintaining it and php and didn't understand php that well ethier Still don't. I stop working on web dragon and development during my senior year of high school because I did not have time and then forgot about it. After three years of college trying to major in Auto Repair to become a technician I changed my major due to the suffering job market I could not find a job at all which getting a job was the only thing I need to graduate so now I am starting over from the beginning I just do finished my intro to web design that I took online. Which by the way I would not recommend taking any course online. Now I have been practicing my web design for 6 months now using iWeb notepad ++ barebones and dreamweaver. My goal is to make a website for my YouTube channel that includes interactive walkthroughs for video games. Like the Stragey guides but its online and it includes various items that users can interact with. But in order to do that I need to create a database learn php and some program mainly to make an app for iPhone and android which I have no idea what programing language apps use.
zimmer
I am a guy that modified templates, scripts and i can say i am a sort of developer because i have this ideas in my mind and i am willing to implemented it.

As a designer a sort of. because i wanted to look good my sites with other people or shall i say normal people that have an first impression.

well, to sum it up i will vote for both.
jajarvin
I am a web programmer and I like it.
markorvan
Yes I want to be. Since I met friend from company **Moderator - Company and URL redacted** who told me how much does paid to designer. O my God. I'm certainly will finished courses and be developer, no doubt.
Insanity
I always wanted to be a graphic designer and build websites when I was younger. The only probelm was that I wasn't very good at it so I didn't pursue that path. But I still like doing both sort of on a mroe hobby basis. I like making things and being creative.
playfungames
Interesting topic after some time. I am interested in "Web Development / Programming / Code" and I have voted for it in your poll. I enjoy to a fair about setting up websites with or without the help of CMS and frameworks. I also like to build some initial content and start off the website until someone takes it up and the website takes off.

I am not that much interested in design because honestly I am not so good at it. I am not that great coming up with colors and shapes and what not that are required for design. My choice of colors happens to be very limited and is set to a certain number of colors on the palette. So, I prefer if someone else does it. To be honest, I am also a bit of color blind (red/green I think according to the online tests).

So, anyways +1 for code.
tonberry
If someone wants to create website from scratch, he probably needs to know both. Tough luck if someone doesn't have aesthetic sense, but someone can always look around for inspiration. It's great that so much stuff has been added to html/css in recent years. It was a nightmare when gradients had to be prepared as backgrounds (weighing heavy kbs), box-shadows had to be separate graphical elements, many text decorations were impossible to make in html etc. Now we can enjoy it all with few simple lines of code, which moves the designing part out of Photoshop/Illustrator straight into code. Designing is now part of coding so we can do both at the same time.