FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

can anybody explain the meaning of this poem

sudipbanerjee
I have found a poem as following:

One (nothing
a
1 eaf
f
a
s
- ness)

Most probably it is written by E E Cummings. Can anybody explain me is it truely a poem? if yes then what is its meaning?
SonLight
My first thought was to ask if you had a reference for this. Then I tried a google search, but initially thought the letter-by-letter presentation was beyond google's ability to resolve. However, when I searched for the whole thing, unquoted, it found this:

http://allpoetry.com/poem/8494115-l_a...__a_leaf_falls_on_loneliness_-by-e_e_cummings

This is a writing which is does not simply say what it means in a straightforward way. It clearly is not prose, so it must either be peotry, visual art, or a waste of paper. Opinions vary considerably in the comments, but they cover it much better than I could. Purple42 seemed to have a reasonable analysis of how and why the piece was written:

Quote:
l(aleaffalls)oneliness. if you take (a leaf falls) out of the line, it leaves loneliness.
the theme of the poems is "one" or "loneliness". on a typewriter, a lowercase "L" is the same symbol as a 1. in french, "la" and "le" mean "a". the poem is centered around this motif of one-ness. the poem also mentions a leaf falling. the way the letters are organized kinda gives you a picture of a leaf falling, swaying as it descends to the ground. it is possible that the poem is saying that with all this loneliness there are many "ones". i have also read that this poem is about the "autumn years" of a persons life.
sudipbanerjee
Thanks friend. I read your link. But still the meaning is not clear to me.
loremar
It's quite hard for me to understand this.
I guess it has something to do with the old type writer thing.
The only thing I can understand about it is that it's about one.
Nameless
A poem doesn't actually need to mean something as long as it's entertaining or conjures some other emotional responses. Here, the textual layout imitates a lone leaf falling (isn't that a sad image?) and that is very probably it. Just saying.
sudipbanerjee
Every poem has a meaning. I am sure this poem also has some good meaning. I am not able to understand it.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
A poem doesn't actually need to mean something as long as it's entertaining or conjures some other emotional responses. Here, the textual layout imitates a lone leaf falling (isn't that a sad image?) and that is very probably it. Just saying.
The way you presented the poem to me had more meaning than the poem itself. You definitely have a knack for saying it well!
nepalstar
sudipbanerjee wrote:
I have found a poem as following:

One (nothing
a
1 eaf
f
a
s
- ness)

Most probably it is written by E E Cummings. Can anybody explain me is it truely a poem? if yes then what is its meaning?

Is this a Poem??? wow it seems interesting...! Ok I'll try to search for meaning of this poem. If I found the meaning, I'll post here...!
lovescience
Maybe the poem says about oneness and nothingness, they are just like a leaf falls..., the text in the poem is also been put like in typography, to make a visible poem.
menino
I like the poem.

To me, it is that a leaf falls into nothingness.
I think you have to visualise it and feel it.
boinsterman
It seems to me that the leaf falling is part of the nothingness, being in the middle of it.

But he could have been trying describe a Zennish concept, in which case it would be best not to overanalyze it. Just sit back and enjoy the leaves falling.
deanhills
I'd say that the single letters in consecutive lines are symbolic of the leaf falling. Shows a path downwards.

Here are a few possible explanations:
http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/1-a-a-leaf-falls-on-loneliness/

This explanation (from the above source) was really meaningful I thought:
Quote:
Ryan Johnson (10/15/2009 10:45:00 PM)

I think there are two ways to interpret this piece. Often poetry, as with all forms of art, depends on the reader to find his or her own meaning. One could look at this to read as either, 'a leaf falls in loneliness' or as 'a leaf falls interrupting loneliness'. Both can hold a deep meaning for the reader. One must also note how 'l' is set set apart, as l can be seen as either the lowercase 'L' or the number 1. Another impressive detail, albeit significantly less important, is how '(a leaf falls) ' is written in such a way that makes the readers eyes dart back and forth going down the page, which gives one the impression of a leaf fluttering in the wind. To me, I see a man alone in an endless expanse of featureless desert, utterly alone. Yet for one brief moment, as a leafs flutters by in the wind, he is no longer alone. there is something else, no matter how insignificant, and it is like a revelation to him, as if the earth suddenly makes sense. But then the leaf passes, the wind dies, whatever glorious epiphany he was on the verge of is suddenly gone, and once again he is alone. Perhaps the man is a God, or a traveler, or a lonely beggar, that is up to the reader to decide for himself.
fuzzkaizer
maybe it wasn't meant to be understood?
can it still be a poem then?
donoob88
i can't find any that that's a poem, maybe i just know what poem is, but i think Most poems take the form of a series of lines separated into groups called stanza. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes