FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

a few email/parked domain questions..

friscofrankie
I'm preparing to park my domain at frihost in the next couple of days. Yahoo has been regisering my domain yearly and are being absolute shits about giving me access to a control panel, but i'm getting that sorted (i hope, transfering registrars).
I have concerns regarding email forwarding. I currently have five email addresses that I have had for five years or so. Two of these are for other people. Will I have a catchall address? Can I forward emails to other email addresses? Should I set up these addresses immediately before or after I edit the DNS entries at my registrar? Once I park the domain will these funtions be available in cpanel?
When all the dust clears I want to set up a php webmail app for my users to access. I plan on using a sub-domain; mail.mydomain.xxx and pointing this to a subdirectory. Is there infrastructure in place to allow me to query the mailserver for my user ids? how do i go about it?
one more question, What is direct admin and where do i get it, catchy name I'd like to try it.

I've done a search onthis forum and some topics make me optimistic but don;t really address my particular questions.

thanks in advance
FF
Bondings
friscofrankie wrote:
I'm preparing to park my domain at frihost in the next couple of days. Yahoo has been regisering my domain yearly and are being absolute shits about giving me access to a control panel, but i'm getting that sorted (i hope, transfering registrars).
I have concerns regarding email forwarding. I currently have five email addresses that I have had for five years or so. Two of these are for other people. Will I have a catchall address? Can I forward emails to other email addresses? Should I set up these addresses immediately before or after I edit the DNS entries at my registrar? Once I park the domain will these funtions be available in cpanel?
When all the dust clears I want to set up a php webmail app for my users to access. I plan on using a sub-domain; mail.mydomain.xxx and pointing this to a subdirectory. Is there infrastructure in place to allow me to query the mailserver for my user ids? how do i go about it?
one more question, What is direct admin and where do i get it, catchy name I'd like to try it.

I've done a search onthis forum and some topics make me optimistic but don;t really address my particular questions.

thanks in advance
FF

Wow, that's a lot of questions. Wink

First of all, you can forward email. Secondly, you can make a catchall address. Just park or addon the domains as fast as possible and after doing that you will be able to setup all mail settings and they will shop up in your cpanel.

There are 2 available webmail applications you may use for your webmail. However, I don't know enough about webmail to assist you in creating a custom php script that handles your mail.

DirectAdmin is another control panel, like cPanel.
Daniel15
Quote:
I currently have five email addresses that I have had for five years or so. Two of these are for other people.

So, you're saying that two other people have email accounts on your old server, which they login to via some sort of webmail program. If so, then yes, you can add additional email accounts. Frihost give you an unlimited amount!

If instead, you meant that they have email accounts elsewhere, and the address forwards to them, then yes, you can set up forwards (again, an unlimited amount). And yes, you can set up a catchall address.

There are two different web mail programs that are installed inside the Administration panel (but other mail users that you add are also able to access the webmail)

Finally, DirectAdmin is the control panel you'll get if you're a new user at Frihost (if you already have a FriHost hosting account then you'll most likely have cPanel). You can see a demo here (login: demo_user password: demo)

You can actually park your domain as soon as you change the nameservers, and add the email addresses straight away. That way, by the time the nameserver changes propagate, the email addresses will already be set up (which basically means zero downtime; you won't miss any emails)
friscofrankie
Thanks for the quick answere folks. Looks like I'm gonna just have to forward the emails to my users personal mail. Will work out the stuff I need to know to build my own webmail app.