FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the big deal in England?

adamchen
Just want to share that by next week were going to England and i want myself to be ready at all, anything i can bring for our vacation? Best places in their that i can visit?
deanhills
I'm quite keen on London. All you need to do is to find a Tube Map and get a special discounted travel package for a week, and then you would probably be able to travel limitless. My favourite areas are Covent Garden (particularly on Sundays when there are brand-new artists presenting themselves) and Leicester Square. I particularly like the Second Hand Book Shops and can spend literally hours there. Leicester Square is great for shopping and it also has a low cost food court. There are of course places like Buckingham Palace, Regent's Park etc. that everyone visits when they are in London for the first time round. If you have enough time for the rest of England, probably good to invest in a guided tour. One I've eyed, but never got to do is a Pub Tour of the whole of England. There are apparently pub tours of London as well.
funyug
Big ben of london
johans
BIG BEN and LONDON BRIDGE...

check also the food and find the best steak on the CITY.

ENJOY YOUR SELF is the best idea to give you if you travel.

Very Happy
wellerchap
As a resident in England (up north) I'd be very keen to know how you enjoyed your holiday, where you went, and if at all you got to see anything at all outside London....I always feel like once I'm inside the M25 (motorway that circles Greater London) it's not like real England anyway....more like a United Nations settlement, sponsored by McDonald's, Starbucks & anyone else that pays enough money to set up shop in our great capital city.
I'd try to see a big football match (in Manchester or Liverpool), visit the Lake District for outstanding beauty, the Isle of Skye for more of the same (get out and do a bit of walking & experience our weather!), eat fish and chips in Yorkshire & try haggis in Scotland.
Good luck, and enjoy.
Josso
wellerchap wrote:
I always feel like once I'm inside the M25 (motorway that circles Greater London) it's not like real England anyway....more like a United Nations settlement, sponsored by McDonald's, Starbucks & anyone else that pays enough money to set up shop in our great capital city.

I know what you mean. I do sometimes enjoy being inside some cities like Oxford, Edinburgh etc but I think that's only because of interesting architecture/history. Whenever I'm in a city at all infact the first thing I do is try to get out - I just get too sickened Mad. I've lived in the countryside all my life (I went to chicago once it was like Surprised Surprised Surprised) so I'm probably quite biased but there are some cool sites out in the middle of nowhere plus you'd probably enjoy yourself more visiting this country spending some time driving about in the countryside, that's just my guess anyway. If you are into history sightseeing and whatnot there are roman settlements and stone henge type places most of which are not very close to anything significant. Well I mean even my house is older than the USA so there's quite a lot to be seen really if you are a history geek.

Depends what kind of holiday you want to have I suppose...
johans
How i wish i can come back to England soon.

Having a good vacation and relax.

Can someone tell me which is appropriate to say based on HISTORY:

ENGLAND
UNITED KINGDOM

Which one is official to called?

Idea
rogue_skydragon
johans wrote:
How i wish i can come back to England soon.

Having a good vacation and relax.

Can someone tell me which is appropriate to say based on HISTORY:

ENGLAND
UNITED KINGDOM

Which one is official to called?

Idea

It's really strange the way it works. The United Kingdom is itself a country. BUT, it is also composed of several smaller countries: England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Wiki that shiz, man.
silverdown
I dunno but i wanna visist and seeing i dont like airplanes and boats.... i dont think ill ever make it Laughing Laughing
johans
as i check with my friends living in london. In history the old name is ENGLAND but as a present world wide recognized in UNITED KINGDOM but they added they are not sure really how appointed that name both ENGLAND and UNITED KINGDOM.

I guess both are official.

Laughing

Laughing
wellerchap
The United Kingdom comprises England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland.
England is a country in it's own right (as are the others).
Great Britain is England, Wales & Scotland.
Strange to have so many different names, but all have their place in our history....here's a good page which explains pretty well http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/britain/britain.htm
johans
thank you for that information wallerchap. Now i am learning on england, United kingdom and Great Britain history...

Very Happy
wellerchap
So, Adamchen.....where did you go, what did you think, what did you like, what did you dislike about Britain?
I'm interested to know - and don't be polite, if you feel something, say it.
johans
no comment with adam.. no comment means? Very Happy
wellerchap
Oh dear, oh dear! Shocked

Maybe he didn't get back alive?!!!!!
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
Oh dear, oh dear! Shocked

Maybe he didn't get back alive?!!!!!
Or he liked it so much, he is still here. Evil or Very Mad
arawap
wellerchap wrote:
The United Kingdom comprises England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland.
England is a country in it's own right (as are the others).
Great Britain is England, Wales & Scotland.
Strange to have so many different names, but all have their place in our history....here's a good page which explains pretty well http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/britain/britain.htm

yep wel said broo ..fit