FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you use whois guard?

Do you use whois guard?
Yes
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
No
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

codersfriend
Hi.. I just want to ask, when buying a domain, is a feature like whois guard or information protection important or is it ok if I don't buy it? Do you experience lots of spam when you publish your website?

Thanks Smile
Peterssidan
I don't use whois guards. Surprisingly I get almost no spam at all. Maybe it's different if you have a big popular website.
codersfriend
ok .. I think you're right.. Hey I just checked out your site.. Did you made that car game?
Peterssidan
yes, I made that game.
dude_xyx
I don't use it. I know those who run Adult sites use it but if you want to develop a good business better now use whois protection. When people can view your domains whois details it gives you more credibility.
nepalstar
I didn't use this and I didn't know about this whois guard, actually what's this is? and what is the benefit of this whois guard? Plz provide me some information about this.

Thank You..!
Peterssidan
nepalstar wrote:
I didn't use this and I didn't know about this whois guard, actually what's this is? and what is the benefit of this whois guard? Plz provide me some information about this.

The whois information you can get from many different websites like whois.net. I don't know the details but I think whois guards hides private information and uses another mail address that forwards the mails to you.

I'm not sure why some domains have almost no whois information. Does that depend solely on the registrar? The whois information for my website contains my name, my physical address, my mail address and my phone number. I can feel it is a bit much but I wouldn't spend money to hide it if I could.
badai
when we apply for domain we need to put a physical address. i use one address specifically for this because i don't want some sociopath whois my domain and know where i live. surprisingly, once i received a letter to this address telling me i have won a lottery.
fladry
I dont use whois guard. I get quite a lot of spams which i think is the result of registration in some creepy sites rather than lack of whois guard. Anyway i dont just like to spend another 9$ for whois guard.

Anyway for less popular site you can use a secondary email and fake address and name to prevent other guys from tempering with your information.
Bondings
fladry wrote:
I dont use whois guard. I get quite a lot of spams which i think is the result of registration in some creepy sites rather than lack of whois guard. Anyway i dont just like to spend another 9$ for whois guard.

Anyway for less popular site you can use a secondary email and fake address and name to prevent other guys from tempering with your information.

The price depends. Some registrars even offer it for free, if I'm not mistaken. Namecheap offers them pretty cheap if you buy 5 of them at the same time and they currently have a promotion of 1$ whoisguard.
fladry
Bondings wrote:
fladry wrote:

The price depends. Some registrars even offer it for free, if I'm not mistaken. Namecheap offers them pretty cheap if you buy 5 of them at the same time and they currently have a promotion of 1$ whoisguard.

Yeah but generally the domain names are high if private registeration is cheapn ( i buy/renew domain for 7.99$). Also, i dont have a debit/card card or paypal. So, i just have to depend on godaddy gift card to pay for my domain names in godaddy and cant use it in another registrar. Sad
truespeed
123 reg offer it for free.
User_X
I absolutely use it but I usually use https://www.domainsbyproxy.com through Godaddy
I don't want my PI flying through the interwebs freely.

Here's a few more examples for those enquiring minds
See the Difference
Testimonials

Hope that helps clear things up for some
dude_xyx
Directi reseller offer whois protection for free. I have used it before on couple of adult domains.
k_s_baskar
resellerclub (directi) gives free privacy protection. But not you can't use it for some extensions like .in .
I personally not using this feature for my domains.
Smile
nepalstar
Peterssidan wrote:
nepalstar wrote:

The whois information you can get from many different websites like whois.net. I don't know the details but I think whois guards hides private information and uses another mail address that forwards the mails to you.

I'm not sure why some domains have almost no whois information. Does that depend solely on the registrar? The whois information for my website contains my name, my physical address, my mail address and my phone number. I can feel it is a bit much but I wouldn't spend money to hide it if I could.

Is this necessary to use whois guard for my site? I haven't use whois guard till now and I think I have to pay extra for this whois guard, right? so I don't know whether this is necessary or not..!
RosenCruz
nepalstar wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
nepalstar wrote:

Is this necessary to use whois guard for my site? I haven't use whois guard till now and I think I have to pay extra for this whois guard, right? so I don't know whether this is necessary or not..!

Yes you have to pay a few extra dollars for it. Useful if you wanna cover your name as the owner of domain. Otherwise unnecessary Wink