FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are PHPers looked down upon, by university teachers?

inuyasha
I learnt PHP as my first programming language(or scripting language?) four years ago. At that time I didn't know PHP is so considerate Wink I used strings as basic type variables, edit them with system functions and regular expressions for granted and put everything in arrays, unware of how it works.

And I became a first-year in my university last year. I got to know C and C++, and that I took so many things for granted as a programmer. My teacher laughed and was so surprised that I learned PHP before. I didn't know what the laugher meant, neither do I know now.
Fire Boar
I don't know. PHP 5 is a perfectly good language though, so there's nothing to be ashamed of in using PHP (as long as you use it properly).
jmraker
I learned C first and then a little pascal before college and I'm sure the teacher has been set into the C/C++ language over the years, thinks their language is the best and PHP is only for some little webserver.

Years after college I found PHP and I found it was a combination of C, Javascript and Perl syntax wise.

Perl style $ variable names
Javascript type string compares
and C type functions

Knowing PHP will only help you learn other programming languages

The only language that I shun is Visual Basic Smile It's a popular language to shun so never admit to ever using it
lightwate
I found that programming teachers generally shun new programming languages because they are easier to use and learn compared to the ones they use during their time. They then think about how hard they worked before in order to learn C, etc. while we just give little effort and were able to use php, python, etc. and get more out of it!

I think their preferred language, C/C++, etc. grew some kind of sentimental value because of all the years they spent using it. And because of that, they just shun all other programming languages, sometimes without even giving it a try.

Though those are just my biased opinions.

But sadly, it's kind of true. Even profs from our EEE classes prefer to use the old C/Zilog for embeded systems instead of the newer, better arduino. heck, even some of my classmates 'discriminate' others for using "inferior" programming languages.

PS. I feel so sleepy writing this, I think my words are messed up
jmlworld
Despite the difference in their syntax, every programming language contains the same language types: booleans, integers, floats, strings, arrays, objects, etc... The only difference is the environment they were designed to be executed and their efficiency, but from learning point of view, they're the same and there's no problem if you learn Python or Javascript as your first programming language.

University teachers generally despise PHP. I don't know why, but I've seen them giving all their praises to .NET and such crap, ahead of Java and other top notch programming languages.
davidv
Quote:
I found that programming teachers generally shun new programming languages because they are easier to use and learn

That doesn't sound right. If they had that mentality when choosing first year programming languages they would have chosen something like the MOS 6502. Shifts, flips, add, bits and bytes. Laughing

The only language that's shunned around my university is Java because it's verbose, that said it's still a good language. Languages like Python and those that are similar are praised because the syntax is give or take pseudocode which makes it easier for students to focus on problem solving rather than oh no, I forgot the parentheses in line n.

A language is just a tool to convey and model x, whether x be trivial or complex. If you're a newbie, it doesn't matter. All that matters is you understand it, nevermind the effort it took. Your teachers need to get with the times.

When I hear people complain about a language (especially when all they're complaining about is the syntax), they're the ones struggling with it or just stubborn. Stop spending so much time complaining and just practice. Rolling Eyes

PHP is a powerful language and yes, it is quite simple but so is C but again who cares? First year students are only introduced to the basics of programming. You don't get enough time to lunge yourself into the guts of a language so whether it be C++, C, Java, Python, PHP. You're still just learning the basics i.e. THE SAME FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS and you don't actually do any "real" programming until you hit the later years where languages like C++ are typically employed anyway.

PS: Your professors sound like stubborn old men. Razz
Peterssidan
PHP is not as strongly typed as some other languages. I think this could be one of the main reasons why people look down on PHP. Strong type system with errors at compile time instead of run time makes it easier to spot bugs early. At universities they are extra fascinated with type theory, correctness and stuff like that, at least where I study.
therimalaya
I've started with PHP and I've never learned programming language and any other computer stuffs academically beside in school time when there is GWBASIC, QBASIC, WP51 and Lotus 123. I think, programming languages are meant to get things done. PHP can do everything what you need to do like any other programming language.
alalex
The biggest problem with PHP is that there can be absolute awful programs that surprisingly work while with other, more strict, languages you have enough freedom to do such programs.

Althogh PHP is really powerful, another flaw that university teachers love to point out is that since it is not compiled it runs slower... And at least for my teachers, efficiency is everything
Aredon
alalex wrote:
The biggest problem with PHP is that there can be absolute awful programs that surprisingly work while with other, more strict, languages you have enough freedom to do such programs.

Althogh PHP is really powerful, another flaw that university teachers love to point out is that since it is not compiled it runs slower... And at least for my teachers, efficiency is everything

That's completely wrong... php has far less overhead than aspx. Php is definitely not slow.
inuyasha
Peterssidan wrote:
PHP is not as strongly typed as some other languages. I think this could be one of the main reasons why people look down on PHP. Strong type system with errors at compile time instead of run time makes it easier to spot bugs early. At universities they are extra fascinated with type theory, correctness and stuff like that, at least where I study.

I agree with you. Type theory had been ignored by me until I went to my university. And some students who hadn't leant PHP before told me that strong typed languages have its advantages over PHP. Though I can not understand.
D'Artagnan
well not only uni teachers , but there is some prejudice about php everywhere in the IT industry...
truth be told most professionals are not mature enought to see their solution is not the silver bullet of it.