FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu 11.10

LostOverThere
Ubuntu 11.10 was released the other day (13/10/11). Who here has upgraded?

I personally upgraded as soon as I could. Unfortunately, the propitiatory ATI drivers were very broken and I had to remove them, but apart from that it appears to be a solid release. Unity is getting better, but still has a mountain of issues.

Right now though, I'm torn between using Gnome-Shell and Unity. Which do I use?!
thnn
I upgraded yesterday partly through the desire to enable full disc encryption on my laptop. I however use Kubuntu as I prefer KDE. I haven't found anything different yet due to the fact there haven't been any major changes in KDE, and I had also been running Linux kernel 3 on Ubuntu 11.04 for some time.

I did have some horrible issues with Grub installation, which I had to manually fix, but once that was done it was fine.
Ghost Rider103
With all the problems windows has been causing me, I'm tempted to try this out..

Only thing I am worried about, is programs that work on my windows that may not work on Ubuntu...

Also, is it hard to learn? I don't really want to jump into something if it's going to take me forever to learn. I need my computer on a daily basis and sometimes don't have much time to tinker around with things to figure out how they work.

One last question, do Adobe programs work with it?
flamepjlh
LostOverThere wrote:
Ubuntu 11.10 was released the other day (13/10/11). Who here has upgraded?

I personally upgraded as soon as I could. Unfortunately, the propitiatory ATI drivers were very broken and I had to remove them, but apart from that it appears to be a solid release. Unity is getting better, but still has a mountain of issues.

Right now though, I'm torn between using Gnome-Shell and Unity. Which do I use?!

I think both are ok.                                    

LostOverThere
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
With all the problems windows has been causing me, I'm tempted to try this out..

Only thing I am worried about, is programs that work on my windows that may not work on Ubuntu...

Also, is it hard to learn? I don't really want to jump into something if it's going to take me forever to learn. I need my computer on a daily basis and sometimes don't have much time to tinker around with things to figure out how they work.

Ubuntu is perhaps the easiest Linux distribution to use. You should be able to get the hang of it quickly.

Naturally though, Windows programs will not work in Linux unless you install Wine and emulate them (expect mixed results). Adobe's software isn't currently available on Linux, except for things like Flash player, Air, etc.
Fire Boar
Check out http://appdb.winehq.org/ to find out if a specific application is likely to be compatible.
Ghost Rider103
LostOverThere wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Ubuntu is perhaps the easiest Linux distribution to use. You should be able to get the hang of it quickly.

Naturally though, Windows programs will not work in Linux unless you install Wine and emulate them (expect mixed results). Adobe's software isn't currently available on Linux, except for things like Flash player, Air, etc.

I gave it a try. I was disappointed to say the lease.

First things first, my wireless keyboard wouldn't work with the OS. That alone should have been enough for me to give up. But after modifying some files in the OS I was able to get it to work. Of course following people's ideas on Google, who also had the same issue.

Then after a reboot, the OS overwrote my changes so my wireless keyboard yet again wouldn't work.

The market to download apps is very unstable and extremely buggy.

After using it for a couple days, I randomly got some sort of error (don't remember the code, it was a while ago) the OS refused to respond at all.

Firefox, the browser it came with, crashed a couple of times. The browser wouldn't open back up as it said Firefox was already running, please close it to open a new window. I had to reboot to fix it.

I installed it pretty much right after I posted here. The looks of it had me sold. However the functionality of it and how unstable the system is drove me away.

That was the worst OS experience I've ever had. All those problems came down on me almost immediately. Perhaps I just got a bad version, but the keyboard compatibility has been a known issue (from what I've read) for quite a while.

I want to like the OS and perhaps ill give it another try when a newer version comes out with the current bugs being fixed. Until then, looks like I'll be sticking with XP since it is stable.
CraigHF
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Hi, you can always install virtualbox on ubuntu to virtualize windows. That way, if you need specific applications that are only available on windows, you'll be abble to use them!
deanhills
Think I lucked out today. I've been having issues with Windows, and always wondering what Linux would be like, and whether it was worth a try, and then by fluke I found the article below when I Googled "What does Linux" looks like? I was curious to see an image of a typical Linux screen. Instead I got an amazing article.

It's rather long, but really worth reading. Basically saying that those wishing to change from Windows to Linux, particularly those who have used Windows for years and years would have a wrong attitude if they wanted to change to Linux because they wanted a better Windows. There is a completely different culture surrounding Windows to that of Linux that is open-source. Also obstacles for someone wishing to enter the geek world where they'd be expected to at least know some of the basic stuff. Linux is not like Windows where someone can go out and buy the software and then expect it to work perfectly, and if it does not, expect that there will be patches available for it .... or else!

Anyway .... it more or less told me that it's really software for geeks who like to work and learn from other geeks. And have the patience to try new stuff out every day. Versus Windows which one expects to work OK so that one does not need to think about the OS. So probably not for me. I'd hate to irritate geeks, and am very impatient for my OS to work without me having to tinker with it or even think about it.

Here is a link to the article:
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
donoob88
i didn't use ubuntu or mac, always windows, i wanted to try ubuntu but i don't have my own computer, maybe if i have my own laptop, i will install ubuntu on it, they say it was nice and cool Very Happy
chartcentral
donoob88, you can try running Wubi. It lets you run Ubuntu on your current Windows system without reformatting. You can also uninstall it if you want, just like any other Windows program. You can download it here. Smile
ghbyte
I've upgraded it, runs very great with Gnome Shell, even NV Optimus works with Bumblebee on my Notebook. Really great OS and a perfect upgrade, stable and fast. Smile
loyal
Is anyone actually using Gnome 3? I'm still stuck on 10.04. Can't be bothered to upgrade at the moment. I wonder why the Ubuntu team chose Unity over Gnome 3...
lightningleo
Hey friends, I installed Ubuntu 11.10 but I can't find GParted in it. When I tried it trough live cd, it was there but after installation it Disappeared. Can you all Plz Check Yours ???? Confused Confused Confused Confused
Tuvitor
I'm probably going to be trying this out soon. I'm usually a Debian guy but I like Ubuntu as well... Though I usually go with the Xubuntu desktop with XFCE because Gnome 3+ & Unity are icky.
Fire Boar
You know... this thread is pretty old. Ubuntu 12.04 is out now, and since it's the long-term support version, it's probably worth going for that rather than 11.10.

In other news, apparently Kubuntu is getting a new sponsor: instead of Canonical they will be sponsored by Blue Systems. It could be interesting to see how that works out for them.
kobraz
yes. 11 is no god choice. Try 12.04 be cause it have a LTE !