FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Baldur's Gate

Nameless
I've finally got around to buying this classic D&D romp from GOG.com! I've played it's successor Neverwinter Nights before so I was a bit wary of going backwards to an older rule set, but having now started playing it's almost depressing how much better of a game Baldur's Gate is: The world is incredibly open to exploration with no shortage of amusing encounters and well-scaled fights as you wander, the isometric engine is much prettier and less repetitious than that of NWN's toolset (not to mention easier to use in battle), the choice to let the AI run your party members or issue direct commands makes battles much more tactical and less frustrating ... About the only letdown is the lack of meaningful roleplaying - 95% of all choices boil down to "Please allow me to throw aside my life for your every whim, oh random stranger!", "What will you pay me?" or "I stab you now.", but I'm pretty sure NWN's main campaign was terrible for that as well. Most of the party members are pretty flat too, but I've heard they're more lively in the sequel.

Aside from the others on the Infinity Engine (Icewind Dale, Planescape), are there any other similarly themed games (not necessarily D&D-based) that match up to or surpass Baldur's Gate?
PokemonCraft
this is an epic game but too old to be played now
Nameless
PokemonCraft wrote:

Well, I successfully played through and enjoyed both Baldur's Gate games and their expansions so you are literally wrong. Rolling Eyes
drunkenkoz
I'm going to have to agree with nameless. I still play through a lot of my old games when I have the free time. I enjoyed how most of the rpgs were made back then.
FunDa
Nameless wrote:
PokemonCraft wrote:

Well, I successfully played through and enjoyed both Baldur's Gate games and their expansions so you are literally wrong. Rolling Eyes

No game ever gets old Razz Razz Razz

Awesome.

I sometimes wish my Nintendo was still working so I could play all the games on it 999999 games in 1 the cartridge says Laughing Laughing

I've played only 4 of those if my childhood memory is correct Laughing