FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

anti smoking commercials

dragonflame
anyone else getting tired of them? I dont smoke, but I wanna smoke just to spite these idiots. I find them very exagerrated, and forcing their beliefs on other people.
tidruG
dragonflame wrote:
anyone else getting tired of them? I dont smoke, but I wanna smoke just to spite these idiots. I find them very exagerrated, and forcing their beliefs on other people.

Well, it's not really a question about forcing your beliefs on someone... smoking really is bad for health, and the more important thing is that passive smoking is worse for health than normal smoking. No wonder you have so many anti-smoking campaigns. Maybe there is an excess where you live, but here in India, there aren't so many anti-smoking ads that I'd get sick of them. In fact, even the few that are telecast on TV are really hilarious Very Happy
tribe
I am very much against smoking and I see where they are trying to go with these commercials. How about you just have this bar/restaurant ban on smoking everywhere in the US so people can pollute the air we breathe outside.

The thing is they got this STANDONLINE.ORG and kids doing it and I mean just shut up. I hate smoking as much as you but you whine like its the end of the world.

I'd rather see a big circle with a cross through a cig than these kids talk...

Thats just my opinion.

End smoking in as many people as possible; but don't piss us nonsmokers off!
dan751
I don't smoke either, but it's good that they're aired, otherwise, it is possible that they'red be much more smokers. Also, did you know that the majority of smokers start smokling in their teens? You don't see a whacking pile of adults start smoking for their first time do you? I hate the cigarette companies, they intentionally try to sell it to you before your an adult (and have reached maturity).
mengshi200
smoking is not only hurt self health ,but also inflence other people's health and mental,so we should far away from it.
Nameless
I think anti-smoking ads are unneeded at best. I honestly don't believe there is anyone in the general community who does not know at least that smoking is, basically, really bad for your health. Lately the ads I here for anti-smoking (and anti-drugs too) all seem to be about other things, like no girls will want to go out with you, you will suck at sports... these at least will (in theory) get to the 'cool' people who are worried about these, but not whether they die of lung cancer in twenty years or not.

What annoys me though, is every single anti-smoking I here basically tells you to quit. I wish, just for once, I could hear an ad that said something like:

"If you start smoking, you are ABSOLUTE IDIOT!! Get a BRAIN, N00B!!" or "Are you stupid? No? Then WHAT THE **** ARE YOU SMOKING FOR, IDIOT?!?!"

They'd never do something like that, but I'd still love it if they did. Alternetively, my favourite idea to stop people smoking is for health insurance to not cover any smoking-related illness, and for anyone who is sick because of smoking to be at the end of every list in the hospital. Then they'd all DIE.

So remember:

Smoke, and you will die*

*eventually
budazz
i find all those smoking stuff commercials very idiots..see they will say that cigarrete smoking is dangerous to your health but still they are encouraging people to buy there product...hmmm stupid
dragonflame
budazz wrote:
i find all those smoking stuff commercials very idiots..see they will say that cigarrete smoking is dangerous to your health but still they are encouraging people to buy there product...hmmm stupid

well it's not like they want it that way, theyre required by law and stuff (surgeon general warning and all that). I'm fine with the effects and what theyre acheiving with the commercials, but I dont think the facts they present are correct. Some are saying 1 out of 3 smokers die, in which case, I'd think it'd be very obvious.

theres a recent ad, where it's like clay-mation, and the girl/guy eats a decomposed carcass, and tries to kiss the other boy/girl, then goes thats what it's like to kiss a smoker, I mean cmon...

All I'm saying is, at least present some credulous arguments...instead of winning people over with lies/exagerrations.
budazz
ok doki...but still they are crazy
tidruG
dragonflame wrote:
theres a recent ad, where it's like clay-mation, and the girl/guy eats a decomposed carcass, and tries to kiss the other boy/girl, then goes thats what it's like to kiss a smoker, I mean cmon...

Ah, that's disgusting... however, it's kind of effective. Smoking really does stink, and if your girl really really hates that stench, it's, in some weird way, comparable to that... however, it is definitely disgusting.

One of the better ads I've seen is of a single woman driving down a highway slowly, when she sees a stranger asking for a lift. She drives by, but upon looking into her rear view mirror, she sees him lighting up. So she stops and reverses and offers him a lift...
I know you're thinking that's a crazy ad, it promotes smoking. However, wait till you see the punchline...

The screen goes black, and test appears "Smoking causes impotency" Laughing
mceejaydee
Smoking is very addicting. I never smoked in my life and it looks easy to quit for some people. I've talked to a freind who smoked. He's only 13 years old >.< and he says he wants to quit but it's so damn addicting.
harleygirl
dragonflame wrote:

yes I am tired of them....people should live and let live and mind their own backyards
izcool
It's quite funny because a lot of the anti-smoking campaigns are run by Philip Morris, one of the major cigaratte companies. Go figure. Laughing

One of my favorite anti-smoking campaigns is called The Truth. They had pretty good commercials a few years back, I just looked on their website and it looks like they're bringing them back.

I'm against smoking totally, I've seen a lot of horrible photos and videos in my Health class in my Freshman year. It's pretty disgusting as there was this one with a really old woman who had burned a hole in her throat on account of it. I've never smoked in my life nor do I plan on ever doing so.

My dad used to smoke for a few years. He quit thinking about letting the cigarattes over dominating him or him over dominating the cigarattes. He says that it's just a flow of money down the drain, and I believe him on that.

- Mike.
All Alluring
what i'm tired of are these anti-drug commercials...

i'm sorry, but i get high quite regularly, along with most of my friends, and we have *never* had any of the incidents happen to us that happen in these commercials.

I'm tired of these idiots who have never done drugs trying to create these commercials. Just like the people creating the no smoking commercials...have you ever tried to quit? then you wouldn't understand!

It's like on everybody loves raymond *i think that was the show*

"I don't understand why you just don't quit."

"It's not that easy!"

"Sure it is! You just stop!"

"Ok then...you try to stop yelling at me all the time...see how easy THAT is"

hahaha...

i mean i understand the hazards of smoking...i actually started and recently quit about a year ago...but come on, these commercials are ridiculous....you want people to quit smoking? raise the cig tax more...donate that money to finding a cure for lung cancer haha...

and i'm sorry, if i wanna smoke some weed, i'm going to...it's my body, i'll do what i want to it...
izcool
I think they were targeting towards people who are currently smoking and those who don't smoke. It probably gives people who don't smoke better advice on not to do it. It might convince some smokers to stop (seeing how stupid things like that can be, like a guy peer pressuring another guy into doing it). Dunno, but that's how I think of it. If you don't like the commericals, then there's a little device called a remote control, you press the Channel Up button and wait until it's over. Rolling Eyes

According to these two photos I found online, I don't think smoking is all that and a bag of potato chips. Looks stupid for the people on the right to smoke to get their acts together and relieve themselves. I don't think it's really necessary. Of course, if they do smoke, it might seem necessary.

BTW I'm not trying to offend anyone or put anything against Marlboro (from the 2 pictures above), but in my country, the USA, we have freedom of speech.

- Mike.
B3r3tta
I'm sure that these people mean for the best but the commercials get just a tad bit annoying. Smokers don't want someone constantly lecturing them for smoking and if its not in the form of a person it's the constant television ads. Rolling Eyes
leat397
dragonflame wrote:

I was a smoker 5 years before...
Now I hate everything of smoking.
"Smoking is unhealth" is not just a belief but absolutely undeniable.

I realized how I used to be so stupid that smoking was not welcomed many times many places in fact.

I 'veread a pic. that showing two different lungs left hand is healthy, non-smoking, the right hand was a blacked, hurted and smaller in size (coz being eroded....) If this is a real pic. I hope it would be widely spread.
No way to be argued as exagerrated..
gonzo
dragonflame wrote:
forcing their beliefs on other people.

Laws do this.

Should we all devolve into anarchy?
matjash
I'm a smoker for 7 years too and I would like to quit - it's my decision and it has nothing to do with those Smoking Kills posters, commercials and stuff...

I don't know why they bother so much - I haven't met an ex-smoker who would tell me that he/she quit becouse some(one/what) was presuring him/her.
dhsband
no.. i think that theyre useful for younger kids... smoking is terrible and the thought of killing yourself faster should be enough to stop it... idk... people are kinda stupid sometims..
fizzyboy88
Most smokers start in their teens. If they're dumb enough to start smoking just because of peer pressure fine then if they think its gonna help them fit in and that smoking is gonna sooth them when theyre really nervous and lonely jeez...its their own bad frikkin decisions. But they better keep their damn smoke to themselves instead of polluting the lungs of all the people around them. But I am in favor of the ads that talk about second hand smoking.
joshua_erceg
Smoking in bars here, in New Zealand, has been made illegal.
I think smoke free ads are good - if only they worked more effectivley though...
There is a new one I saw which had someones squeezing the amount of tar that the average smoker smoked a week onto a pair of lungs...
Uurgh! Confused
shank
I don't think it shoves their views on people, just trying to make sure the message sticks, it's not like they're lying to your face

now it won't convert the smoking population of the world, but I think their purpose is to make you think, maybe give you that extra push to get you started

the choice is for the people, they aren't going to make smoking illegal all of a sudden, think of personal liberty, more important think of all that lost tax money Twisted Evil
nasire
Smoking, in least in northern Europe, is something that people that come form homes with lower average incomes do. It is far more spread among kids in the suburbs than in the central part of town.

About 17% of the populaiton in my country smokes today. Most of the are girls. It decreases anually....

yippi!

Nas
sylviakowalski
i don't smoke.. nor do i ever intend on smoking.

i ave to say, the smoking commercials are catchy and mildly entertaining.. some are even somewhat funny. i think its all common sense, you'd really have to be from a different planet if you didn't know the consequences of smoking.. why try it in the first place?

lol anyways, even if you don't smoke, there's a really high chance that cancer is somewhere hidden in your genes. Razz
noliver
Well I dont think pregnant women should smoke and parents should not smoke around their children - or any other small kids for that matter. Then there is the old thing of a non-smoker kissing a smoker and its like kissing an ashtray ! Smile
sylviakowalski
noliver wrote:
Well I dont think pregnant women should smoke and parents should not smoke around their children - or any other small kids for that matter. Then there is the old thing of a non-smoker kissing a smoker and its like kissing an ashtray ! Smile

what about someone who used to smoke? its still like kissing an ashtray
godam64
smoking is still free in my country. you can smoke everywhere you want even in the kindegarten or playing ground. smoke just a weak brother of drugs. smoking have tons of bad and there are no goods at all by smoking. just wasting your time, health and money.
valkyrie-heavens
i dont smoke and have no intentions of smoking. i dont really get any urges to smoke. Those anit-smoking commercials, all they really do is promote smokin' so they honestly dont help.
Vasquez
Smoking is bad for your health, everybody knows that. But the infomercials are taking it a bit far. If we can have nasty "shock" advertisements against smokers, perhaps we should also start targetting overweight people (that's not healthy either), with catchy slogans like "YOU SHOULD NOT BE SO FAT"... No, that would not be allowed, would it? But to go at the smokers, that's ok.

Peace out Smile
Gamerevolution
leat397 wrote:
dragonflame wrote:

I realized how I used to be so stupid that smoking was not welcomed many times many places in fact.

I 'veread a pic. that showing two different lungs left hand is healthy, non-smoking, the right hand was a blacked, hurted and smaller in size (coz being eroded....) If this is a real pic. I hope it would be widely spread.

ive never smoked, my my parents are both smoking, and i think it sucks, its totaly useless and destroy your lungs.. causes multiple cancers, and makes you smell bad lol..
i think it should be forbidden to smoke in every public places..
Gamerevolution
leat397 wrote:
dragonflame wrote:

ive never smoked, my my parents are both smoking, and i think it sucks, its totaly useless and destroy your lungs.. causes multiple cancers, and makes you smell bad lol..
i think it should be forbidden to smoke in every public places..
KingFreak
Shoulden't we stop smoking? Because it causes bad breath and some other cancers that we don't one to see... and more, people die of lung cancer is because they smoke too much, and some more, the pictures on the box don't even exist in the smoker's eyes... Lol. This is serious. If you think smoking is great, then see ya in heaven! So thanks for the topic doh...