FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does wearing glasses weaken your eyesight?

davidv
For the past 12 weeks I've been finding myself wearing glasses a lot often, in fact so often, I'd say on a daily basis. I read a lot and I spent a decent amount of that time reading in the dark (computer screen).

I honestly don't think it's the glasses that's causing this but I wanted your opinion. Lately I've been sleeping very late (4am - 5am) and sometimes I don't sleep at all. So this probably contributes to my poor eyesight. I'm only 18 and the last time I had my eyes checked (roughly when I started wearing glasses), the optometrist said they were perfectly healthy although I should wear them if I can. I'm not sure if stress affects my eyesight although it does affect my sleeping pattern which affects my eyesight.

Yesterday I managed to get through the entire day without wearing glasses. I had a bit of difficulty reading 3 metres away. That said though, I didn't sleep the night before and I only had 3 hours of sleep the night before that.

I have a feeling that once the semester ends, everything will go back to normal but in the event that it doesn't, I want to know what kind of things I can do now that will help my situation.
lightwate
I am betting that stress is the reason. Every part of our body needs to rest once in a while. And not getting enough sleep, plus staring at your screen for hours in the dark is really straining your eyes.

Now regarding the glasses making your eyesight worse thing...

I'm also wondering about the same thing! My right eye has perfect vision. But my left eye needs a grade of 400. I can read perfectly even without glasses, provided my right eye can see what I'm reading. But if i cover my right eye, I can't read a thing, I can't even recognize some faces.

My doctor said that I should use glasses otherwise my brain will somehow rely only on my right eye, rendering my left eye useless. In my understanding, If this goes on without glasses, my left eye will continue to lose its function. (though that reasoning is one of the biggest myths in evolution)

Now, it's worse than before and I am thinking that the glasses made my eyesight weaken faster.
badai
my optometrist said the opposite: people should wear their glasses constantly. if not it will weaken their eyesight faster because the eyes have to work harder to focus.

this is my optometrist saying, he might want to deceive me anyway because if my eyes weaken then time for new glasses.
Nameless
I've been wearing glasses all the time for years, and the quality of my vision has steadied out rather than degenerated much further since then. I don't know if not wearing them at all would have made much of a long term difference, but it would have sucked in the short term (you know, not being able to see properly) and so long as my bad eye doesn't actually explode or anything I can always get a new prescription. Switching between wearing and not wearing glasses is definitely a Bad Thing though since your eyes won't get used to one or the other and will strain themselves more.
deanhills
lightwate wrote:
I am betting that stress is the reason. Every part of our body needs to rest once in a while. And not getting enough sleep, plus staring at your screen for hours in the dark is really straining your eyes.

Now regarding the glasses making your eyesight worse thing...

I'm also wondering about the same thing! My right eye has perfect vision. But my left eye needs a grade of 400. I can read perfectly even without glasses, provided my right eye can see what I'm reading. But if i cover my right eye, I can't read a thing, I can't even recognize some faces.

My doctor said that I should use glasses otherwise my brain will somehow rely only on my right eye, rendering my left eye useless. In my understanding, If this goes on without glasses, my left eye will continue to lose its function. (though that reasoning is one of the biggest myths in evolution)

Now, it's worse than before and I am thinking that the glasses made my eyesight weaken faster.
I completely agree lightwate. Stress has a lot to do with weakening eyesight, too much eye strain as well, by not resting the eyes. And then I think it could also be wearing glasses that are not right for our eyes. Some people seem to think it is OK to buy those standard reading glasses that you can find in pharmacies. Thing is they are probably OK for occasional use, but if one needs glasses all of the time, one probably needs to invest in really good ones. I really believe if one has the absolute right glasses, that it can help to contain some of the deterioration, depending of course on whether we are not straining our eyes too much through too much Internet and too much TV viewing.
funyug
You must wear glasses only if ur eyesight is weak. Never wear other person glasses. Try to put less stress on eyes. Use spectacles made with anti reflecting lens. Always before wearing glasses clean them with a cloth. An unclean spectacle may put stress on your eyes
davidv
It's highly likely that stress is in fact what's causing me to feel as though my eye sight is becoming worse. But back to the point of this thread, what are some ways that can help without needing to sleep more?
ist-olga
Thank you, for now I just like my contact lenses. Easy and convenient.
royale1223
If you wear wrong glasses (wrong power), it will make things blurry. However there is no permanent effect as far as I know.
darthrevan
royale1223 wrote:
If you wear wrong glasses (wrong power), it will make things blurry. However there is no permanent effect as far as I know.

I think long enough time frame it will do permanent damage. if you need glasses and you don't wear them they make your eyesight get worse and the reading glasses are bad for your eyesight as well.
mediserve
I think not wearing your glasses everytime will contribute to your poor eyesight. Follow what your doctor had told you and I think you need a supplement to keep you healthy all the time.
subhan1
Wearing it more than you can handle or wearing it less than you need - both can result in eye weakness
mshafiq
i don't thing that wearing eye glasses make your eye sight more week.this is very surprising question.i am wearing glasses since ten years.almost every optimistic will suggest you if you have eye sight week,you have to wear eye glasses for whole time.i heard that wearing lenses have a bad effect not on the eye sight but in some cases they are damaging the eye.