FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Turkey or Guatemala/Belize in February?

rogue_skydragon
Hello all,

I had originally planned on going to Istanbul Turkey this fall to satisfy my cultural curiosity, but have now decided to postpone my trip to early February. Will I be absolutely miserable if I visit Turkey during the middle of winter? After doing some research on last year's winter in Istanbul, it was primarily rainy and even snowy during February and if it's going to be the same story this year, I'm a little apprehensive about going during that time. But if someone here on Frihost can give me some words of wisdom on this, I'd really appreciate it.

Considering my options of good places to visit during the winter, I looked at Guatemala and Belize. There, the climate would be less rainy and cold, and adventure would be more of a focus. If I choose this destination, I plan on taking public transportation from Guatemala City all the way to San Pedro, Belize, making stops at some of the smaller towns along the way. Hostels, food and transport would be incredibly cheap in addition to the decent weather, but I'm still unsure if this would be more worthwhile compared to Istanbul?

If anyone can offer some advice, I'd be very grateful. People who've been to either of these places are encouraged to reply here!

Thanks
Hello_World
Sorry I haven't been to either and I'm replying anyway.

Just to say, you are close to South America, but don't take it for granted.

South America would be my true first choice, for adventure and culture, and history...

It is just far too expensive to get there, I have to fly first to US then onto South America which is really expensive from Australia - wheneever I've looked into it, it is been above and beyond what feels reasonable in terms of expense. (in the vacinity of $6000 return for 2, although I've been keen on Peru). The other problem for me is the same as yours - it is winter there in my summer holidays.

For the record, Australia and NZ are nice in February, although I presume it will lack the cultural shock of the countries you have already suggested that you are seeking.

I hear Turkey is fabulous, but I don't know about the weather either.

I'd choose South America, just sayin'
Bondings
I wouldn't go to Turkey in the winter. Just as you thought there is a very big chance of bad weather.
portoskt
turkey for sure
rogue_skydragon
Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone! I am now leaning more towards Guatemala/Belize. By the end of this year, I hope to have a final decision on my destination, and book flights, hostel, and all that good stuff.
deanhills
rogue_skydragon wrote:
Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone! I am now leaning more towards Guatemala/Belize. By the end of this year, I hope to have a final decision on my destination, and book flights, hostel, and all that good stuff.
Good choice. I've heard Turkey in winter is REALLY not a great idea.
Very Happy
jaykresline
Istanbul Turkey is very best location for travel regarding to natural cultural places, because there are so many old natural culture places to see some different art of old generation, in old generation there were so many old cleaver persons, so when you go there than surely you travel old natural art places.
Afaceinthematrix
It's April. So where d'ya go? And did you have fun? If I had seen this article last November when you posted it, I would have suggested Guatemala and Belize. Belize is an easy English speaking country with nice beaches and snorkeling and Guatemala has some nice ruins and artifacts.
samanyolu077
eats less RAM google chrome (Sorry.i use google translate)