FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Space traveller have to declare to custom too

badai
from http://gizmodo.com/5848243/when-you-return-from-the-moon-dont-forget-to-fill-out-your-customs-form/gallery/1

Quote:
When Returning from the Moon, Don’t Forget to Fill Out Your Customs Form

Despite the fact that every single facet of NASA's moonwalks were government-controlled expeditions, astronauts were not exempt from the annoying processes involved with foreign travel. Case in point, this customs form, signed by Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins.

Upon their return in the summer of 1969, the weary Moon travelers had to declare the Moon rocks they brought back with them, as well as disclose any potential illness. And there's something amusing about the "TO BE DETERMINED" that was marked down when asked to reveal anything that may cause the spread of disease.

loyal
loool is this serious? why is this necessary?
SonLight
That does seem a little bit humorous. Of course there was a good deal __more__ concern about the possibility of carrying dangerous parasites or diseases than a mere international trip would cause. I'm sure NASA and other agencies exchanged a large amount of paperwork in dealing with those risks, although the customs agency might not have been directly involved. I suspect the standard entry form was filled out not because they considered it necessary to do so, but more as a historical record. I think they should have charged them some customs tax though -- those moon rocks were worth a lot of money!