FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Recycler.exe Virus Help...

snerd7
So, my flash drive has been affected by the Recycler.exe virus for some time. All it did to me was turn all of my links into shortcuts, but didnt delete any of my data. I'd been planning on buying a new flash drive and moving all my files onto that, but just today I plugged it into the home computer, and that computer (it has good anti virus) somehow made it so i cant open any of my folders (ones affected by recycler.exe) from my flash drive. I think it may have deleted Recycler from my flash drive, because whenever i try to open a folder it gives me an error, "Windows cannot find 'G:\RECYCLER\0xFDD12566.exe'. Make sure you..." The problem is that i need some of those files in the folders. Is there any way to access them, or are they lost since Recycler no longer is present?
SonLight
I suspect Recycler may have set it up so that all files on the memory stick would be opened by recycler. You may not be able to open them from explorer, but I think you can get to them from the command line.

Open the command line box or rhe run box and type "cmd" (without the quotes. Details vary with different versions of Windows. If this is not clear for any reason, please say so.

Now you should have a window with a prompt. Find out the drive of the memory stick. For example if it is G:, type G: on a line by itself, then type dir and you should see your files. Assuming that works, you should be able to use the copy command to write the files elsewhere. For example, if the old memory stick is in G: and you have a new memory stick in H:, you could type --

copy /s g:*.* H:*.*

I suggest you proceed cautiously to be sure you don't write to the wrong drive.

This is off the top of my head, so please comment on how it works and if there is any problem using it.
Marcuzzo
check the following links:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_remove_the_virus_recycler_exe and
http://about-threats.trendmicro.com/ArchiveMalware.aspx?language=us&name=WORM_AUTORUN.HW
also, boot into safemode and do a full system scan
Brian12
Hi snerd7,

Try following the steps in this virus/malware removal guide: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide

It contains instructions that will remove most malware infections.

I hope this helps you,
Brian
FunDa
This virus has been widely spread these days and it has become very common that every pen drive we use will be infected by this virus. This Recycler virus / BV:AutoRun-G[Wrm] is very annoying one and even formatting the pen drive will not remove the virus. Though antivirus software is able to identify, it cannot remove the virus completely. If you delete this manually, it will again create itself and none of the virus removal tricks could work to resolve the problem.

1. Download Spyware Doctor and save to your Desktop (if you cannot download then bookmark this page and skip to Step 3 to restore your
internet) 2. Rename the file iexplorer.exe 3. Restart your Computer in Safe Mode with Networking (keep tapping F8 while your system boots up) 4. Launch Internet Explorer, click on Tools and then Internet Options. 5. Click on the Connections tab and select LAN Options 6. Uncheck the box Use a Proxy Server For Your LAN and click OK 7. Launch iexplorer.exe (Spyware Doctor) 8. Update Malware Definitions and click Start Scan 9. Click the Fix Checked button and remove Recycle Virus
funyug
Use an updated antivirus like avast
malaysia
i face exactly same problem. My thumbdrive contain uncreated Recycle folder and all other folder has been converted to shortcut. The folders still can be access but when i deleted the Recycle folder, instantly the the other folder can't be access and Windows say: "Windows cannot find 'G:\RECYCLER\0xFDD12566.exe'. Make sure you...".

But it look this virus is reside inside Recycle folder. When deleted, and i replug, it recover itself and recreated. The other folders are accessible when the Recycle folder is exist. Any suggestion??
cybersa
malaysia wrote:
i face exactly same problem. My thumbdrive contain uncreated Recycle folder and all other folder has been converted to shortcut. The folders still can be access but when i deleted the Recycle folder, instantly the the other folder can't be access and Windows say: "Windows cannot find 'G:\RECYCLER\0xFDD12566.exe'. Make sure you...".

But it look this virus is reside inside Recycle folder. When deleted, and i replug, it recover itself and recreated. The other folders are accessible when the Recycle folder is exist. Any suggestion??

I think your fulll computer is affteced by Virus.
Because When you deleted it,It automatically creating again and again.

My Suggestion:
Download a new Avast Free version.
Schedule a Boot Scan with Thumb drive attached to your computer.
bukaida
Both Kaspersky and Nod-32 ( with latest update) are capable of destroying it. However, for a pendrive, some change it makes which prevent it from opening by windows explorer or by simple double click. The solution(After disinfection) is to backup the data of the pendrive, format it and restore the data back. As the virus is dead, it cannot perform the activity now.

Download the latest kaspersky internet security 12 and install it. The full function trial license works for 30 days which is sufficient for virus removal.

Download kaspersky
malaysia
cybersa wrote:

I think your fulll computer is affteced by Virus.
Because When you deleted it,It automatically creating again and again.

My Suggestion:
Download a new Avast Free version.
Schedule a Boot Scan with Thumb drive attached to your computer.

you are right, i currently store and access my data from my thumb drive. So, i have use many pc at various CC. I think one of those pc have full of viruses. This virus have not give pain so much, but i need carefully not to delete the recycle folder. As my intentions to use this small portable drive as main storage, can anyone give suggestion what the portable anti virus that can protect our thumbdrive from virus attack?.tq
FunDa
USB antivirus

Clam Antivirus

Most important is to never double-click to open a pen drive.

There are so many viruses that nowadays, many viruses are missed by even a fully updated antivirus.

Windows XPs autorun setting is responsible for spreading viruses so fast everywhere.

Use Linux(Ubuntu or Mint) instead.
User_X
I to had a problem at one time on my U3 drive. It's now included in my arsenal of security programs. To help getting a future infection on your thumb drives (and keep on the thumb drive also) use
Flash_Disinfector.exe
You can read about it & download it from
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=36588

and here

http://www.precisesecurity.com/tools-resources/adware-tools/flash-disinfector

Hope that helps
BadBBilly
FunDa wrote:
USB antivirus

Clam Antivirus

Most important is to never double-click to open a pen drive.

There are so many viruses that nowadays, many viruses are missed by even a fully updated antivirus.

Windows XPs autorun setting is responsible for spreading viruses so fast everywhere.

Use Linux(Ubuntu or Mint) instead.

I agree - Easy way for .exe virus to run loose on USB/PC.

Try unhiding all file/folders via "control panel>folder options" - Occasionally virus' will hide your original folders and create shortcut/ghost files of your data instead. open explorer and use the +/- to navi inside USB drive. See if data still accessible.

Run
Malwarebytes
Combofix and Spybot S&D.
All free proggies.
bukaida
User_X wrote:
To help getting a future infection on your thumb drives (and keep on the thumb drive also) use
Flash_Disinfector.exe

LOL , why would anyone want to do this?