FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I want to a buy a Macbook pro. Convince me otherwise.

davidv
There's probably tonnes of threads about this but I don't see any that's recent and didn't want to bring up a dead thread.

I've been meaning to get a Mac since the beginning of the year but never had a good reason why I should get one until earlier today. So I was rushing about, trying to clean up the disgusting filth I call a bedroom when I accidentally spilt coke on my laptop. As you would imagine, it got sticky very quickly. It still works but it's incredibly hard to type with. I'll probably get the keyboard fixed but I also want a new laptop.

Anyway, so most of what I do on the computer is program, word processing, videos, music, surf web and a bunch of other stuff that can be done outside of Windows. This means there's not really anything that's keeping me from not using a Mac.

So my question is, why shouldn't I go out and buy one? I have a good excuse (split coke = sticky laptop), there's nothing tying to Windows, I want to learn more about other OSs, I really like the aesthetics of a Mac and I have other Apple products so everything kind of connects nicely. I want some good reasons why I shouldn't get a Mac. It seems so one sided and I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing the downsides of switching from a intensive Windows user to a Mac.

Thanks Very Happy
Ankhanu
You'll be a little lost at first; it took me about a week to switch from Windows to Mac and not go looking for things in the wrong places, etc.

Macs are kinda pricey, but not that expensive in relation to a similar quality PC (similar specs AND similar quality build, not just specs... you can get similar specs alone for cheaper). That seems to be the biggest reason most people cite.

The thing is, there's actually NO reason, outside of cost and not liking MacOS, not to (if you're comfortable with the price). Since MacOS is designed to allow easy use of Windows on the Mac hardware, there's 0 limitation. I have MacOS and Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro, and I have software that let's me run my Windows installation in a virtual machine within MacOS if I don't want to log out of MacOS and boot up Windows alone. I do this a lot when I'm working, using Windows applications within the MacOS environment, letting me use the best aspects of both OSes simultaneously on the same screen/interface.
User_X
Like Ankhanu has done it can be worth it. Duel boot. Like if you were to lean more towards a Mac that setup would help the transition phase & be practical at the same time.

Funny. For the last two weeks or so I had a few tabs open that I hadn't gotten around to that were anti-Mac (I always have at least 15-20 + tabs open at a time) I scanned a few & the rest I bookmarked. Those links are below.

For me I run a lot of programs & it's very limited on Macs what you can get. On a Mac you may be able to do some things you want your computer (Mac) to do but are more limited. On a PC there's simply more choices. Let's say you're heavy into photo editing. I've seen where many folks will start out editing/making something in Adobe CS5 & move back & forth between 5 different programs. That's on a PC. On a Mac most likely finding those same 5 programs may be hard or impossible to run.
That's my take on it. Lack of choices.

I've been keeping an ear open for a cheap one to come my way as I'd like to play around on a Mac. But that's it. Play. To see what all the hype is about. They say once a Mac user... I don't know about that.
Ankhanu
User_X wrote:
I've been keeping an ear open for a cheap one to come my way as I'd like to play around on a Mac. But that's it. Play. To see what all the hype is about. They say once a Mac user... I don't know about that.

I made the switch to Mac in January 2007 and haven't really looked back. I actually somewhat dislike Win 7 (and Vista was just a joke), but I do use it from time to time; I think XP was a great OS though.

Honestly, in terms of most applications, most users won't really notice any lack of functionality between the three major OSes. You can do anything most people would want to do on pretty much any modern OS, and there are choices in how you do it... especially since most day-to-day stuff is more browser based than OS based, it gets even harder to notice the difference. The main noticeable differences for the user are in the interface; everything else, in both OSes, is hidden away behind it.
With that in mind, there are differences in system stability between the OSes. Win7 is decently stable, Vista was a joke, and towards the end, XP was pretty stable too... but they've got nothing on unix based OSes like OSX and Linux... you practically have to try to crash them (yes, I know, they do crash from time to time, they ARE computers, after all!). The number of problems I've had with MacOS in the past 4 years can be counted on one hand... the number of problems I've had on my Linux systems is even smaller. In that same time, I've had hundreds of system issues with my (and work's) Windows based machines... and I do know how to (and do) maintain a system.

If someone's looking to move away from Windows, but doesn't want to go Mac, Linux is an excellent option. It's biggest flaw in the past was user friendliness, but, these days that's largely gone out the window. Linux offers a lot of customizability, a lot of power, and is delightfully stable. There's a fair amount of choice in programs, and it's all (mostly) open source.
If I were to get new hardware in the future and couldn't afford to go Mac, I'd definitely go Linux rather than Windows.

Gaming is about the only place where I find Windows is kinda necessary, but, that is changing, and more developers are making Mac and Linux versions of their software. That said, it's gonna be a long time off before cross platform games will come anywhere close to what's available for Windows. Gaming and a couple specific statistical packages are the main reasons why I keep Windows on my Mac.
menino
I love the mac book pro, and am contemplating buying one for myself, since quite a while.
And yes it is expensive.
I already have a laptop at home and one from work that I mainly use with windows7.

I want the macbook pro, mainly for music, as I think some of the software like garageband and audition are great on the mac, mainly because of its integrated hardware. Its also a powerful machine and quite nice feel of it to use and hold.

I don't know about it now, as having more than one laptop, and also instead of the macbook pro, should I go for the ipad2? I wonder now that Steve Jobs is no more (RIP), will better macs come out of Apple.

When I do get time and money, I'll definitely go for the macbook pro. Very Happy
Till then, I'll use windows. Sad
davidv
So far all I'm hearing is, it's more expensive and it may take a little bit of time to adjust. I'm still very convinced that I should get a Macbook pro as my next mobile computer. The pros out weigh the cons. I'm a sucker for awesome glowing apple logos and illuminated keys. Razz
weableandbob
If you aren't attached to Windows and you can afford one, I would say go for it. If you do end up needing Windows for something, you can always dual-boot.
deanhills
davidv wrote:
So far all I'm hearing is, it's more expensive and it may take a little bit of time to adjust. I'm still very convinced that I should get a Macbook pro as my next mobile computer. The pros out weigh the cons. I'm a sucker for awesome glowing apple logos and illuminated keys. Razz
Just read an article that those who are interested in Macbook Pro should hold off a little while as there is a new Macbook Pro on its way.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
davidv wrote:
Just read an article that those who are interested in Macbook Pro should hold off a little while as there is a new Macbook Pro on its way.

The last release was in March... it might be a bit soon to say that one is on its way (in the near future). There's usually about a year, occasionally more, between releases. Yes, a new MBP is on its way, but it's likely a few months away.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
deanhills wrote:
davidv wrote:

The last release was in March... it might be a bit soon to say that one is on its way (in the near future). There's usually about a year, occasionally more, between releases. Yes, a new MBP is on its way, but it's likely a few months away.
Thanks for the update. I guess the best time to buy is always when one is ready to buy as there will always be a new and better version coming out afterwards. As long as it is not the next week though!
Very Happy

By the way this is really a good discussion about the subject I thought:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1101773