FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Not all AVI file are the same. Why is this?

Possum
Hi

Sometimes when I try to play an AVI file it does not play. But some AVI files do play.

Why does this happen when they are all AVI files?

Thank you..
badai
avi is just a container of your video/audio stream.

use mediainfo to check to video/audio codec in your avi file. download the proper codec if you don't have it in your system.
Possum
Quote:
use mediainfo to check to video/audio codec in your avi file

Thx.. I needed that..
Beginning of my AVI Tutorial
Adiiforu
Its because of the codecs. Avi is a container which can contain videos of different codec. I think you should download VLC. Almost all types of files play in VLC.
adamchen
yeah, you can try downloading Final Media Player, absolutely free and good user interface and can play all types of codecs Smile I've been using for almost 2 years.
silverdown
i did not know this thanks for sharing!
Josso
Adiiforu wrote:
Its because of the codecs. Avi is a container which can contain videos of different codec. I think you should download VLC. Almost all types of files play in VLC.

This.

and...

You need to find the Gspot Wink
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
Will identify video files to a high degree of accuracy... you can check the exact details.
RubyCat
I recommend you VLC Media Player. The interface is terrible, I know, but it plays every single format I want it to. You should try it out! Smile You can of course download codec packs for WinMediaPlayer or for QuickTime, but it's a lot easier with VLC, and the most important thing of all: it's 100% free.
vidafenomenal
You might need a decoder.
cybersa
Use VLC it will play all type of avi files.
SultanMA
Because there is something called codec. Codecs are not supported by all devices. Like iPhone or iPad, it says supporting mp4, while it supports some videos, and that because of mp4 has many and many codec.

If u are windows user, i suggest u to download and install KM player, really it plays all formats and codec.

And i suggest u if u want a mobile phone or tablet, to buy from big companies like samsung, lg or sony because they got almost all video and audio formats.

Sultan ,,,
LostOverThere
VLC, like others have mentioned, plays a broad range of files.

But like others have also mentioned - you need the correct codecs. Remember that "Codec" means "compressor-decompressor" (or sometimes "coder-decoder").

My recommendation would be to download a large pack of free codecs from K-Lite. Which you can download here.
flamepjlh
Possum wrote:
Hi

Sometimes when I try to play an AVI file it does not play. But some AVI files do play.

Why does this happen when they are all AVI files?

Thank you..

AVI just a container format.                                 

You need to know the actual video coder format to play.                      
You should have the corresponding video decoder to play it.                    
portoskt
you just need to update your codecs