FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Election Day Eve in Iraq

S3nd K3ys
The Fourth Rail

Things are looking pretty good going into tomorrow's election.

So far the predicted bloodbath has not occurred. This seems to have the lamestream media upset.

This morning I listened to KNX radio ( a leftwing all news all the time station) They were interviewing some leftist egghead "election expert" He was saying the lack of violence was not important, the threat of violence meant the election wasn't legitimate. Rolling Eyes
earthchild
interesting... prompted me to search for more info.

I found some testimonials from Iraqis themselves. Seems like most feel it is a good thing

"Iraq constitution: Voters speak

Some Sunnis have called for a boycott of the constitution
Iraqis go to the polls on Saturday to cast their votes on whether to accept the country's proposed constitution."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4319002.stm
S3nd K3ys
earthchild wrote:
Seems like most feel it is a good thing

That's what I've heard too. I'm in contact with a few people over there and they've been saying it for quite a while. Some estimate that well over 95% of people there feel that way. It's only those that stand to lose thier control of the country that oppose it.

I wonder how long before the media figures it out. Confused Even more intreguing; how long before they start reporting it!? Shocked

I think in the near future we're going to start seeing some of the real successes going on over there.
S3nd K3ys
Looks like the terrorists are somewhat limited in their ability to prevent this. All they could do is knock out power. That, IMNSHO, shows desperation. I would think if they really wanted to stop it, they would/could do more than just that. But I don't think they have the ability to do much more than that.

Associated Press wrote:
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Insurgents sabotaged power lines to the capital Friday evening, knocking out electricity across the greater Baghdad area and plunging it into darkness on the eve of the country's key vote on a new constitution.
earthchild
S3nd K3ys wrote:

I think in the near future we're going to start seeing some of the real successes going on over there.

no matter what has happened in the past, a bright future for Iraq would be a wonderful thing...
S3nd K3ys
earthchild wrote:

no matter what has happened in the past, a bright future for Iraq would be a wonderful thing...

Yes it would.

And I think what happen in Iraq will be a good thing and a direct result of what happened in the past. Wink

My local left wing news radio station has been breathlessly prediciting a bloodbath for weeks.

This morning...??

"Hundreds stood in line to vote, 7 injured in bombings."

End of report. A five second blurb and cut to the traffic report.
earthchild
perhaps, although applauding the bloodbath of recent years doesn't quite sit right with me.
I feel that there was a less violent way of getting to this point.
(perhaps playing itself out in some alternate dimension... I don't know)
S3nd K3ys
The Not-So-Great Ramadan Offensive
Quote:
al Qaeda and their insurgent allies still tried to disrupt the election with violence. The following list of attacks is the extent of the terrorist's reach. Behold the might of al Qaeda and its fearsome Ramadan Offensive:

- Gunmen fired on two polling stations in Baghdad. No injuries.
- Office of the Iraqi Islamic Party is torched in Fallujah. No injuries.
- Office of the Iraqi Islamic Party is struck by a roadside bomb in Baghdad. No injuries.
- Office of the Iraqi Islamic Party is destroyed in an attack in Baiji. No injuries.
- Terrorists blow up the home of the local Iraqi Islamic Party chief in Ramadi. No injuries.
- Five security guards wounded in a car bombing near a mosque in Kirkuk
- Four civilians wounded in a roadside bombing targeting a U.S. patrol in Baghdad.
- Fifteen insurgents arrested as they prepared to attack polling centers in Mosul. No injuries.
- Power cut in 70% of Baghdad after power lines are sabotaged north of the city.
- Two police wounded in roadside bombing while patrolling near a polling station in Baghdad.
- Civilian killed by sniper fire near polling station in Baghdad.
- Three insurgents attacked an empty polling station South of Basra, and are captured. No Injuries.
- One policeman is wounded after a roadside bomb exploded near a polling station in western Baghdad.
- Fighting reported between a small band of insurgents and U.S. troops on patrol in Ramadi. No casualties reported.

There is one point I need to make. the Iraqi Islamic Party is a Sunni organization that used to be allied with the terrorists. It came out in favor of the constitution last week and is now being attacked by thier former allies. The insurgency is eating its own Smile

The money shot
Quote:
When given a choice between the vision of the Islamists and the ideal of freedom, Iraqis brave the jihadi's threats of violence and reject al Qaeda's hateful ideology. Every time

The liberal American press and the leftwing moonbats may not get it, but it looks like the Iragi people do Smile

Congrats to President Bush on what appears to be a HUGE success!
sunrise
The same thing was said during the January election by the conservative media and rightwing dittoheads. Huge success, big success, then when the dust settled, the insurgency was right there, continuing its fight.
Ressurrector
Hopefully it will go over as smooth as possible. But when and if america ever pulls out and leaves them all alone to police their country I wonder if they can handle it.
S3nd K3ys
sunrise wrote:
The same thing was said during the January election by the conservative media and rightwing dittoheads. Huge success, big success, then when the dust settled, the insurgency was right there, continuing its fight.

Except now Al Quada is broke, desperate, low on recruits, and losing faith in itself. Wink

Ressurrector wrote:
Hopefully it will go over as smooth as possible. But when and if america ever pulls out and leaves them all alone to police their country I wonder if they can handle it.

They won't be left alone for a long time. But the bulk will be gone. Think Germany.
gonzo
earthchild wrote:

How would you feel it out to them?
shr3dd
Words don't exactly get through to someone who's too busy trying to kill you.
earthchild
gonzo wrote:
earthchild wrote:

How would you feel it out to them?

It's funny you should comment because I chose the word 'feel' on purpose.

I'm not sure what you think we are doing over there...

but since you ask, I would "feel it out" by

by not killing (directly or indirectly) between 30,000 and 100,000+ Iraqi civilians (including men, women, and children)

by not leaving behind Depleted Uranium for their children to mutate and die from "The amount of DU used in Iraq is equivalent to 250,000 Nagasaki bombs."
http://www.projectcensored.org/publications/2005/4.html

by not privatizing their life giving water sources

you probably get the idea by now.

honestly, my eyes are glazed over just thinking about these things we have done to our fellow humans. That is how I feel.

Peace
S3nd K3ys
earthchild wrote:
by not killing (directly or indirectly) between 30,000 and 100,000+ Iraqi civilians (including men, women, and children)

Oh, you mean that because TERRORISTS target women, children and civilians, that's somehow the USA's fault? They've been doing it for centuries all over the world.

Rolling Eyes
shr3dd
Where did you get that civilian casualty number from? The media said 10,000 or so people would die from hurricane Katrina, but not even 1,000 actually died.
earthchild
If you do your research you'll find that 30,000 is a conservative estimate

It's simply my opinion that there was a less bloody way to help the people of Iraq.
(besides it's not like the govt was going to help. they sent troops to destroy the "weapons of mass destruction")

Shr3dd asked. I just answered his/your question.
S3nd K3ys
S3nd K3ys wrote:
earthchild wrote:

Oh, you mean that because TERRORISTS target women, children and civilians, that's somehow the USA's fault? They've been doing it for centuries all over the world.

Rolling Eyes

:crickets:
earthchild
jiminy...??
Ioana
I heard the first comment in the radio, it said: yes towards the election day there have been counted less attentates per day, so the country is obviously heading towards democracy... or something like that. I really had to start laughing, it sounded to me like the biggest absurdity told in news since long.
sunrise
I read about voter fraud in many Sunni districts a couple of days back, but haven't seen any updates after that.