FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

League of Legends: Dominion.

ProfessorY91
[I've been a smart frihoster and used the search engine to find threads about League of Legends. I also feel like the Free Online Games thread doesn't quite cover LoL, because players can (and do) pay for some aspects of the game. Not to mention its an MMORPG, and that thread is targeted at flash. There's also some random thread about season one of LoL closing, and that's pretty much buried at this point]

League of Legends is an excellent foot-in-the-door game for non-gamers. Admittedly I was skeptical at first, because of the cheesy ad-campaign that they ran when they launched the game, but I've become a staunch supporter. I play no other MMORPGs, and I haven't spent a penny on the game. It also hasn't sucked up 80% of my free time. I just enjoy a few games here and there casually.

The game is based around being able to control a single character, and using a team of 3-5 characters to capture territory (usually by destroying landmarks/checkpoints). Each character has its own abilities, and you can go from there... yada yada. One interesting way to describe the game is by making a comparison to Super Smash Brother's Melee in "Health Mode" (Survival), where, instead of knocking people off the map, they have percentage health, and you kill them.

Anyways, I've played League for a few months, and it's become even easier to fit into my schedule with its new game mode, Dominion. The average game length is ~20 minutes, and its a fast paced skill based game with the detailed and well designed characters in LoL.

I'm looking for Frihosters' opinions of the game, opening this thread up to general discussion about Dominion, and LoL itself. Ideally, I'd like to play with a few people, so I'm going to go out on a limb and post my summoner name. It's aeolusaether.

I hope to see you out there.

AA / Y.

weableandbob
I think Riot did a good job on Dominion unlike one of their past ventures out of Summoner's Rift (*cough* Twisted Treeline *cough*). It's more or less balanced-there aren't many champions that are terrible on it-but bruisers are a bit too good, although that's mainly because they're so good on Summoner's Rift as well.
ProfessorY91
weableandbob wrote:
I think Riot did a good job on Dominion unlike one of their past ventures out of Summoner's Rift (*cough* Twisted Treeline *cough*). It's more or less balanced-there aren't many champions that are terrible on it-but bruisers are a bit too good, although that's mainly because they're so good on Summoner's Rift as well.

I agree completely. One thing that I wish they would implement is the ability to ban four or five champions per team. In my opinion, I think that would help counter known overpowered carries, and force people to be creative with other characters.
Frilleee
i dont like dominion so much is pretty fast game and its all about get fed kill people fast and and then get more fed and if one team have like 50 points left the other team can have one person who get fed and turn the game around by going around and kill so all other who isent fed get bases and win so its all about getting fed and i like the old 5v5 summoners rift is way better.
drunkenkoz
I'm honestly not very fond of dominion or league of legends at all anymore due to the amount of noobs that crowd the game. The only way I can truly get a good game in is if I'm playing with a couple of friends. This goes for ranked matches too. You always have 1 or 2 people on your team that either leave or feed the enemy team on purpose.
Fire Boar
Yeah, Dominion is pretty good fun when you're in a hurry. I think the main "problem" with balance is that people don't really know how to play mage-types effectively in Dominion. Try new and unorthodox builds - some things that were awful in Summoner's Rift work great in Dominion. True, tanky DPS is always a good bet, but there are other champions out there.

I do prefer Summoner's Rift though, mainly because I love playing junglers.
rista_junior
The best Game Ever
billiebr
LoL is an amazing clone, but I'd like to know how DOTA2 works (if it is already flying), because graphics were so awesome in videos.
Dominion was a great add-on to the game, but I found that not many people did understand what to do in this new map. Too many blood rush and no focusing on bases at all, leading to a very frustrating experience. I mean, Riot did really a good job there but this is not all. Players must now understand their new roles, and this never happened. I still see people fighting minions while their team mates are actually dominating bases...
drunkenkoz
Dominion is not that great in my opinion. A lot of people that play it just go AFK for half of the match if they lose by 50 points. I've personally come back from games where we hit 1 point then capped all 5 towers and brought them down over 300. I mainly only play Dominion when I want to test out of a new champion and get use to that champion. I know it sounds like a waste but it's something I like doing.

I don't know how other people feel about this, but I think they should release new maps instead of new game types.