FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Steve Jobs dead at 56

ExMachina
Apple has announced that Steve Jobs has died at the age of 56.

Quote:
CUPERTINO, Calif. – Apple said founder Steve Jobs has died, The Wall Street Journal reported late Wednesday.

In August, the legendary chief executive officer of Apple Inc., resigned and the company named Tim Cook, its previous chief operating officer, to the post.

Jobs wrote in a letter to the board that "if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come."

"I believe Apple's brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it," Jobs said at the time. "And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role."

Jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2004 and underwent a liver transplant two years ago. He reportedly appeared at the iPad 2 launch in March and the annual developers' conference in June, The Journal reported. But he appeared thin at both events.

Jobs is credited with being the mind behind the iPhone, iPad and other devices that turned Apple into one of the world's most powerful companies.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/10/05/apple-says-founder-steve-jobs-is-dead/

Apple has also updated their webpage with a tribute.

We certainly have a lot to thank Steve for, particularly for his early work decades ago in bringing about the personal computer as we know it. It's sad to see him go like this...I'm not a huge fan of Apple's products (I run Windows on a PC and would choose an Android over an iPhone any day) but the man was certainly an innovator whose contributions to modern technology cannot be understated. I'm sure that if he had not become afflicted by cancer, there would have been many more innovations he could have brought us.
ocalhoun
I wonder if he was content with the results of his life?
ExMachina
ocalhoun wrote:
I wonder if he was content with the results of his life?

Quote:
“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle.”

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-13-most-memorable-quotes-from-steve-jobs-2011-10#on-your-working-life-11

Judging from that statement (made to the graduating class from Standford, 2005) I would certainly say yes. I don't think anyone can doubt that he loved what he did.

He also commented a lot on dieing and the nature of death so I get the feeling he was ready for it.
Asap170
Why do newbies always get to big news things like this before I do?

Well I am a big Microsoft fan, some of you may of already of known that. I was surprised when I heard about his passing. I will never buy any products made by Apple simply because I don't like their products. Even though I am totally against Apple I feel sad about Steve Jobs' passing. Rest in peace Steve Jobs.

Ironic that he passed on the first iPhone revealing that he wasn't there to present.....
the-guide
Rest in peace Steve Jobs. You were a greatness, excellent man and genius.
You're the one who really change the world.
Thank you for all great things you've done.

Let's send the flowers or light candle for Steve Jobs here...

http://memorialmatters.com/memorials.php?page=SteveJobs

cybersa
Very Bad News for the world.
Really Very Sad Sad Sad Sad

He leads to Great Smartphone to world.
Apple going to miss Steve Job.

Today morning i heard this news first.
deanhills
I was really sad to hear the news as I had been unaware that he had been battling with cancer for a number of years. Makes his return to Apple after a number of years of retirement that more remarkable and challenging. When he announced his final retirement a few months ago I thought he was now going to have some fun, and was completely unaware that he'd reached the final chapter in his life. Feels like a friend who has passed away much too early.
cresvale
Don't know what to say....
inuyasha
That's sad news. I got up last morning, heard the news, and was just unable to think of who was Steven Jobs. How ridiculous~
c'tair
the-guide wrote:

cybersa wrote:

Uh, why?

Yes, a man has died after living quite a productive and happy life. He also had a few great ideas, kudos to him.

But calling him a genius? Saying "he changed the world"? What the hell is up with that people?

People like Julian Assange change the world, people who oppose totalitarian regimes, people who work on ending suffering, peacecrops workers change the world. This is the first time I've heard about a businessman changing the world.

Give credit to the guy for what he actually did, not what people think he did. I'm not an Apple hater, I'd congratulate Jobs on his innovations but remember, he didn't create Apple products highhandedly - he had investors money, thousands of workers and cheap labor from Asia to create his products which are then sold at a huge premium.

If you want to attribute Apple's success to one only one man, then you must also attribute Apple's unethical business practices to one man - sweat shops, patent wars, spying on users etc.

So pick one, admire the real man or admire the myth of Steve Jobs.
Asap170
c'tair wrote:
the-guide wrote:

cybersa wrote:

Uh, why?

Yes, a man has died after living quite a productive and happy life. He also had a few great ideas, kudos to him.

But calling him a genius? Saying "he changed the world"? What the hell is up with that people?

People like Julian Assange change the world, people who oppose totalitarian regimes, people who work on ending suffering, peacecrops workers change the world. This is the first time I've heard about a businessman changing the world.

Give credit to the guy for what he actually did, not what people think he did. I'm not an Apple hater, I'd congratulate Jobs on his innovations but remember, he didn't create Apple products highhandedly - he had investors money, thousands of workers and cheap labor from Asia to create his products which are then sold at a huge premium.

If you want to attribute Apple's success to one only one man, then you must also attribute Apple's unethical business practices to one man - sweat shops, patent wars, spying on users etc.

I send this!
deanhills
c'tair wrote:
Guess there is plenty of material on the Web if you want to check him out. I personally prefer to admire him. He was an innovator and started Apple completely from scratch. I wish there were more of him who could start an improved version of Apple and IBM from scratch as well. I must say I've got so much used to him over all of the years of checking up on news etc. that when I heard of his passing that it did feel as though a friend had passed away.
Bikerman

Rest In Peace : Steve Jobs

He was a visionary, not a saint, but he saw far and changed the world very significantly. Not many can make that claim.
menino
RIP Steve Jobs.

He didnt build the Apple Computer single handedly. That was mainly built by Steve Woznaik, but Jobs was more involved in the packaging and selling of the product.
I admire Steve jobs, since he was involved in bringing Apple up to where it is today.

Here's some things you might not have known about Jobs
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-altucher/steve-jobs-resigns_b_935874.html
liljp617
c'tair wrote:
the-guide wrote:

cybersa wrote:

Uh, why?

He did change the world, much more so than most people. I wouldn't call him a genius, because that term is thrown around far too liberally and doesn't really describe Jobs. But to deny that he changed the world quite significantly is to simply deny the reality in which you live.

The mobile market is what it is today largely (not solely of course) because of the iPhone. There are a large number of app developers whose lives were drastically changed, largely due to the iPhone's presence and popularity. There are plenty of web designers across the world with contracts working on mobile site versions, largely due to the presence and popularity of the iPhone. There are tons of marketers around the entire world who work predominantly on mobile marketing and social media marketing campaigns, largely because of the presence and popularity of the iPhone. There are other mobile companies constantly being pushed to their limits in terms of innovation because of the competition that Apple puts out -- whether that competition is "real" or simply perceived competition due to perfect marketing, it's still there making other companies put out high quality products.

Obviously Jobs didn't sit in his bedroom ironing every bit of this out. No, he didn't develop every aspect of every product Apple released. There isn't a CEO in modern history who can be described as taking on every task and creating every new product. Jobs also didn't sit at his desk twiddling his thumbs all day. He organized the right people in an environment where innovation would bubble, he led those people, he marketed the products as well as anyone could have. That is what a CEO does. If you can seriously look at the world today vs ten years ago and tell me Jobs' leadership as CEO of Apple did not change the world...there's really nothing to say.

As a disclaimer, I own a single Apple product which was a gift about five years ago. I also recognize Jobs and Apple management had flaws and made some questionable ethical decisions along the road. That doesn't mean he contributed nothing to the world. I doubt you'll find many people condoning the negative decisions and nobody is commending Jobs for his unethical behaviors.
ocalhoun
liljp617 wrote:

He did change the world, much more so than most people.

That's certain enough... but was the change for the better?

I suppose it was... slightly so... but I'm pretty sure there are nobler causes out there than selling people shiny new electronic toys.
liljp617
ocalhoun wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

I suppose it was... slightly so... but I'm pretty sure there are nobler causes out there than selling people shiny new electronic toys.

Throughout the unfolding of this event, on all the forums I'm a member of and all the discussions I've had offline, I haven't found the motivation to belittle the man's accomplishments, leadership, and talents. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm not a bitter person. Actually, I would say I'm a fairly bitter person, so that can't be it. Maybe there just isn't a good reason to shit on the fresh grave of the man.

Yes, there are more noble causes than being the CEO of Apple. Who cares? Why is that relevant at all? Nobody is pretending he ended world hunger or freed slaves.
ExMachina
ocalhoun wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

He was the keystone in the development of making the computer a personal piece of equipment and not just some technology utilized by science or business. He made computers accessible to the masses, an absolutely essential piece of the information age which has drastically influenced us all...in fact, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation on an internet forum if it weren't Steve Jobs' contributions to his field.

I would, however, concede that his recent contributions in the realm of personal music players and smartphones are not nearly as important as his early work in the late 70's, 80's and early 90's.
missdixy
I'm a Microsoft person but I feel that doesn't really matter in this situation. I still think Steve Jobs was a genius (for many reasons, many of which Ex Machina already talked about) and am surprised and in awe of everything he achieved in his lifetime. The world has truly lost a great man! May he R.I.P.
paul_indo
Never have and never will own an Apple product.

I won't buy a product from any company which tries that hard to limit my future choices, such as the itunes scam.

It's a shame though when such a brilliant man dies so young.

Great innovator but hate his business model.
D'Artagnan
well i'm really annoyed by these people who don't know squat about steve jobs and godfy him

HE WAS A GREAT MAN, yeah... he made amazing things and was a great mind, the man helped shape our world.

but he was in no way saint or perfect, i was reading just yesterday some really idiotic things he spoke about android

RIP Steve Jobs a great MAN
Blaster
So my one friend has decided that Steve Job didn't matter... Therefore I've researched it and realized why he did matter.

First off... The mouse. Thats right... it was steve jobs who came up with the idea of the mouse.

Second lets look at his background... Dropped out of college... And still was able to make something of himself. This in itself shows motivation and inspiration.

Third lets look at Pixar.... It was Steve Jobs who was able to mac the machines and the company that started out big with Toy Story. The company has made many great movies since. So before we even look at the Imac or the iPod or iPhone we have to look at pixar...

fourth... the ipod. It changed our world we now didn't have to carry CD's around. Although Steve didn't invent the mp3 player... he made it for the user.

firth.. what good is an ipod without music. iTunes is an impressive business in itself and is one of the widest used systems out there

sixth... why should we carry our phone/pda/and ipod all around when we can just combine them. That was Steve's idea when he came up with the iphone.

and lastly lets look at the iPad. Popular for people traveling that now don't have to lug there laptops around. Its a computer that easily slips into a backpack or carry on bag yet is still big so it don't hurt your eyes when you use it

Sure i've missed some things but over all these are some of his big advancements that DID make a difference in the world that we all live in.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
but over all these are some of his big advancements that DID make a difference in the world that we all live in.
Great post Blaster. I've seen many posts but this one is the first one that went for the things that really counted professionally speaking.

I can never think of Jobs on his own profesionally. When I think of him I also think of Gates, as I think they managed to shape one another through being in competition with one another. We probably owe a lot to them in combination with one another as well.
Very Happy
airh3ad
I'm truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs' death he may rest in peace. While Steve's death has hit us hard, it is a rude awakening to us all that our day is coming one day. Where are we going to spend eternity is the key question? I have experienced Jesus Christ in my life tha by believing in Him I will enter heaven. It is not because I am a good person, but because the Lord Jesus died for me and my sins. You could enter heaven as well.
c'tair
Blaster wrote:
So my one friend has decided that Steve Job didn't matter... Therefore I've researched it and realized why he did matter.

First off... The mouse. Thats right... it was steve jobs who came up with the idea of the mouse.

Wrong. The idea of the mouse was invented by other people, as early as the late 50's and early 60's, when Jobs was still only a kid. Sure, it was popularized by Macintosh in the Lisa computer, but you can't attribute that to a single person.
Blaster wrote:

Second lets look at his background... Dropped out of college... And still was able to make something of himself. This in itself shows motivation and inspiration.

Sure, just like Bill Gates. Except Bill Gates has been and is using huge amounts of his wealth to help people - there are many charities that he runs and he is putting a lot of his money, time and effort into them after resigning as CEO of Microsoft. Jobs actually cancelled some charity programs that Apple had in the first place, only did he later restart them.
Blaster wrote:

Third lets look at Pixar.... It was Steve Jobs who was able to mac the machines and the company that started out big with Toy Story. The company has made many great movies since. So before we even look at the Imac or the iPod or iPhone we have to look at pixar...

Again, we can't attribute the works of hundreds of people to just one person. The success of Pixar rests on the shoulder of it's employees, more than it can be attributed to it's owners.
Blaster wrote:

fourth... the ipod. It changed our world we now didn't have to carry CD's around. Although Steve didn't invent the mp3 player... he made it for the user.

Wait, what? Ipods and Iphones are actually only popular in the US and a small handful of western countries, the rest of the world is dominated by devices from the likes of Nokia, HTC, SanDisk, etc. There's a reason why Apple products aren't popular in technologically advanced countries like South Korea or Japan - they're obsolete. You could rephrase your statement to say "Although Steve didn't invent the mp3 player... he made it for the American user[/quote].
Blaster wrote:

firth.. what good is an ipod without music. iTunes is an impressive business in itself and is one of the widest used systems out there

Again, this only really applies to the US and maybe a handful of other western countries. There are many reasons why iTunes is horrible, ranging from locking down your device to being bulky or sending back usage data to Apple without your consent or knowledge. Why reinvent the wheel, why can't I just drag and drop songs from my HDD to my mp3 player? Or why not at least offer the option to do so, why only restrict it one option?
Blaster wrote:

sixth... why should we carry our phone/pda/and ipod all around when we can just combine them. That was Steve's idea when he came up with the iphone.

Again, I'll just mention stuff like Nokia, Siemens, Samsung, HTC... All of them had those things before the iPhone. Consider this - despite being in decline for years, Nokia still has the largest market share of any phone manufacturer in the world. Also, the world is a step ahead of the American phone industry, I mean my Nokia n95-2 that I bought in 2008 was lightyears ahead of any phone available to the American public at that time. It also had things no Apple users dreamed of: multitasking, 5mpx camera, flash support.
Blaster wrote:

and lastly lets look at the iPad. Popular for people traveling that now don't have to lug there laptops around. Its a computer that easily slips into a backpack or carry on bag yet is still big so it don't hurt your eyes when you use it

You cannot compare the ipad to a laptop. Have you actually tried to do any work on the ipad? Have you tried typing up a ten thousand word report on one? What about programming? Or maybe video editing or photoshoping stuff? Oh, nothing? The ipad is only good as a media-consuming device - reading, playing angry birds and watching videos.
Sure, you can turn it into a productivity device with a few hacks and a Bluetooth keyboard but then... why not buy a netbook which is roughly the same size but offers even more possibilities thanks to windows/linux support?
Blaster wrote:

Sure i've missed some things but over all these are some of his big advancements that DID make a difference in the world that we all live in.

Finally, I'd say that Jobs was not an innovator or inventor - he was a tweaker. He took already existing ideas (mouse, mp3 player, tablet, etc.) and made them more user friendly. However, he did this by locking down his devices and making them mediocre - the better to suite a wide group of mediocre users.
Why don't ipods have srs support for better music quality? Why is device reflashing a standard option for ipods? Why does Apple overprice it's products in relation to the possibilities they offer? Why does Apple follow the "it's not a bug, it's a feature" philosophy like connectivity problems on the iphone 4 or the recent battery problems on the iphone4s? Not to mention no multitasking support for years.

If you guys want a less biased version of Job's contributions to technology, it's better to read these articles:
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/steve-jobs-tinker-tailor-tweaker/
http://gawker.com/5847344
Which give the full picture of a ruthless, pedantic guy that would often explode at his employees and make them redesign everything 20 times in a row until they got it "right".

Sure, a great salesman, a good tweaker, but not a genius nor an inventor.
deanhills
c'tair wrote:
Well then we have to call him a genius marketer of an excellent product.

In my opinion Bill Gates is great at making sure he gets maximum mileage out of his voluntary contributions as he has always been able to market himself very well, and kudos to him for that. I'd say the way he has creamed money from licenses, making sure people have to have the next OS on their computers by making deals with hardware manufacturers, etc. etc. far outweighs what he has put back in. I'd definitely not call him an altruist. More like a very savvy business opportunist with an excellent marketing team on his side. I'm dead certain too that he is scoring huge income tax rebates for every voluntary project that he is involved in.
liljp617
Is this ever going to end? Discussions about bin Laden's terrible character didn't last this long.
c'tair
deanhills wrote:
c'tair wrote:
Well then we have to call him a genius marketer of an excellent product.

In my opinion Bill Gates is great at making sure he gets maximum mileage out of his voluntary contributions as he has always been able to market himself very well, and kudos to him for that. I'd say the way he has creamed money from licenses, making sure people have to have the next OS on their computers by making deals with hardware manufacturers, etc. etc. far outweighs what he has put back in. I'd definitely not call him an altruist. More like a very savvy business opportunist with an excellent marketing team on his side. I'm dead certain too that he is scoring huge income tax rebates for every voluntary project that he is involved in.

The "excellence" of Apple products can also be debated Razz. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good, just take a look at university loans - pretty popular but soooo harmful Razz.

And oh, I'm not saying that Bill Gates is without any faults - marketing and pushing bad systems (the whole 9x family) to hundreds of millions people worldwide is definitely a sin worth mentioning, but it is somewhat atoned for by Windows XP and Windows 7 - both much better and safer. Still, not as good and freedom-respecting as Linux Wink.

I'm not for denying any credit to Jobs, I'm just for denying him being called a genius and inventor. Dennis Ritchie died recently and for some reason the media isn't celebrating his death as much as Jobs' death although Dennis Ritchie can be credited as a creator of C and a key developer of UNIX - both fundamental projects to the whole IT world, things neither Apple nor Microsoft could exist without. Now that is what I call being an inventor. It just seems like Jobs' death has become a media event, which is sad in so many other ways.

@liljp This is a discussion forum after all Razz
deanhills
c'tair wrote:
I'm not for denying any credit to Jobs, I'm just for denying him being called a genius and inventor. Dennis Ritchie died recently and for some reason the media isn't celebrating his death as much as Jobs' death although Dennis Ritchie can be credited as a creator of C and a key developer of UNIX - both fundamental projects to the whole IT world, things neither Apple nor Microsoft could exist without.
OK. Got it c'tair! I must say I don't know that much about Jobs and Gates anyway. And you're right as well. The Media has a strange way of prioritizing those who passed on.

The little bit of what Jobs presented of himself through the media to us however, I did admire him. What he was really like however is of course completely unknown to me.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
The Media has a strange way of prioritizing those who passed on.

Strange perhaps, but not difficult to understand.

Better name recognition --> More viewers --> Higher ratings --> More money.

So, they will always give priority to publicizing the deaths (or other things) of people with the highest name recognition in the general public.

Steve Jobs was a name that many people knew, hence the large amount of publicity.
User_X
10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash
Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Or is it to Zune for jokes?
liljp617
c'tair wrote:
I'm not for denying any credit to Jobs, I'm just for denying him being called a genius and inventor. Dennis Ritchie died recently and for some reason the media isn't celebrating his death as much as Jobs' death although Dennis Ritchie can be credited as a creator of C and a key developer of UNIX - both fundamental projects to the whole IT world, things neither Apple nor Microsoft could exist without. Now that is what I call being an inventor. It just seems like Jobs' death has become a media event, which is sad in so many other ways.

@liljp This is a discussion forum after all Razz

Ritchie had plenty of help as well with his developments, and much of the development of C was built on the earlier "B" language -- most of which was created by Ken Thompson. Yes, I'm saying a lot of Ritchie's work consisted of taking previous creations and developing them to be more efficient and suit more purposes. Sounds familiar.

Ritchie's work also occurred in the Bell Labs, so certainly many, many people contributed throughout the organization. I think you're giving Ritchie a bit too much credit. After all, we know it's a huge sin to give Jobs credit for the development and popularity of Apple products, because Jobs did have help.

As for the reason the media didn't pick up on Ritchie's death: It's not a mystery. Ritchie sat in a basement creating programming languages the majority of people don't know a thing about. Jobs was the face of an international corporation worth billions, as well as the face of some of the most popular consumer products to ever exist. Are you honestly that taken aback by the media's response toward the deaths of the two individuals?
suzanstive
he become famous personality after he passed away ha ha Laughing
before that no 1 knows who's founder of iphone
ocalhoun
suzanstive wrote:

Lots of people -- including me -- knew who he was before he died.
liljp617
suzanstive wrote:

Not sure where you're from, but he was well known in many places around the world and extremely well known in the US long before his death.
truespeed
suzanstive wrote:

Do you know who Bill Gates is?