FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Overclocking.....

Chap
Need some OC tips... before i want to OC my comp i had AMD4000+ 64 Bit 2 Gb Ram pc3200 400 mhz.....

Which mode is the best and safest to OC the comp...???
orno
1) Wrong forum... Moved to Computer Software/Hardware
2) If you really have that setup there, you dont need to overclock it.
izcool
What reason do you have if you want to overclock ? As said before, with that kind of setup.

- Mike.
Rhysige
Because he/she wants MORE speed and efficiency... seriously if you wanna run a high graphics game alon with a movie running in the background with applications open and a dual screen setup... well youd use those specs so you want more :p
Wd_removed
This is overclocking... I got my 2.0ghz Northwood P4 to do 6ghz last night. Look at the screenshot from CPU-Z.

nntien
Why do you want to overlock? What for?
You will have some problems with overlocking, I think!
Wd_removed
To make your PC faster than it should be..Why Else?
Boles Roor
We can't really help you too much without knowing what you set your rig up with.

We need things like:
What motherboard are you using?
What CPU cooler are you using?
What memory latency readings do you have?
What is your current multiplier and FSB are you running?
What are your CPU idle and load temps?

And, what do you mean by mode? If you mean by using a program, or in the bios, using something like AI N.O.S. don't use it. Not only do you not learn anything, you also get alot better results, and a better feeling, if you get a high OC all by yourself.

Here are some handy links that can help you:
Speedfan For monitoring fan speeds and temps
CPU-Z General info about your current setup.
3DMark2005 For Benchmarking, and testing it under load. ( if it crashes under load, it's OC'ed too high).
Donutey
Welliottdude wrote:
This is overclocking... I got my 2.0ghz Northwood P4 to do 6ghz last night. Look at the screenshot from CPU-Z.

this is fake... your FSB times the multiplier just shows your processor is running at stock speed... ( 99.7 * 20 = ~2.0GHz) the bus speed quad pumped is also the stock speed.

If it were really running at 6ghz it would be running at much more than a 100mhz FSB.

Please don't post things like this..., especially in a discussion.
izcool
Welliottdude wrote:

Heh, you better have a good cooling system otherwise your system might start on fire if you're not careful ! I heard about some kind of a temperature probe that you put in your computer which will sound a small alarm if your system gets too hot.

- Mike.
SoftStag
Overclocking is a waste of time (and money) IMHO. The benefits you get from acheiving a higher clock speed are outweighed by the instability and reduced life of components. The small %age increase in performance is usually unnoticable.
gh0stface
SoftStag wrote:
Overclocking is a waste of time (and money) IMHO. The benefits you get from acheiving a higher clock speed are outweighed by the instability and reduced life of components. The small %age increase in performance is usually unnoticable.

Well, you're right and wrong. It's only unstable if you don't have enough voltage to power the overclock. You're also wrong thet the performance is unnoticable. Depending on how big of an over clock you get, you can see a 5-15% performance increase.

The only portion you are semi correct is the reduced life components. If you dont' have adequete cooling, you can shorten the lifespan of your CPU. However with proper cooling such as water cooling or a good heatsink/fan combo along with good thermal paste, you don't have anything to worry as long as you keep the CPU temperature below 50 degrees celsius.

Currently I have an AMD Mobile Barton 2400+ overclocked to 3200+ speeds (pretty much 1.83 ghz overclocked to 2.2 ghz). It has been running for 3 years right now and it is still going strong. Never had a single problem. In my other computer, I have a Duron 700 Mhz overclocked to 950 Mhz and that's computer is still runing strong. I had that CPU for over 5 years.
Kd527
Go to the BIOS when you start up the comp. Play with the settings. save and restart. If it doesn't boot then reset the BIOS. repeat until it works. Wink
Wd_removed
Donutey wrote:
Welliottdude wrote:

this is fake... your FSB times the multiplier just shows your processor is running at stock speed... ( 99.7 * 20 = ~2.0GHz) the bus speed quad pumped is also the stock speed.

If it were really running at 6ghz it would be running at much more than a 100mhz FSB.

Nice fake Razz Though seriously I wouldn't know how to fake an image like this.

There is a limit to FSB speeds though.. and generally the FSB doesn't have to exactly keep up with the processor.

As with Bus Speed is linked to Front Side Bus.
waiteck
Hmm.. My intel P4 2.0 hz managed to clock till 2.6 Ghz only Sad
Wd_removed
Overclocking depends not only on your processor but almost every other part of your PC. I was using some 2GB RAM, Top end asus motherboard, 750W power and advanced cooling solution.. Then you whack up the Multiplier to dangerous levels.. Mwhahaha
gh0stface
Welliottdude wrote:
Overclocking depends not only on your processor but almost every other part of your PC. I was using some 2GB RAM, Top end asus motherboard, 750W power and advanced cooling solution.. Then you whack up the Multiplier to dangerous levels.. Mwhahaha

Eh, true, you're overclocking, but you're not getting the best overclock if you just up the multipliers. The way most people overclock is increase the FSB and decrease the multiplier...
Wd_removed
gh0stface wrote:
Welliottdude wrote:

Eh, true, you're overclocking, but you're not getting the best overclock if you just up the multipliers. The way most people overclock is increase the FSB and decrease the multiplier...

This is true.. There are net bound urban legends that talk of people upping the multipliers and FSB both to stupid amount and setting fire to their PC (of course that part would actually happen.)
izcool
waiteck wrote:
Hmm.. My intel P4 2.0 hz managed to clock till 2.6 Ghz only Sad

Hmm, strange. By looking at the specs of my 2nd Custom PC (P4 2.0GHz) it says that it can go up to 3.0GHz when it's overclocked. I've never overclocked any machine in my life, nor do I ever plan to.

- Mike.
damelloman
OC'n is great. I've done it ever since i bought my Pentium 100 mhz. OC'd that thing to 200 mhz and ran it for years. Then the celeron 300a(300mhz) to 450 mhz. Now i have a AMD 64 3000 (1.8 ghz) OC'd to 2.2 ghz with the stock heat sink and fan. And i also agree the best way to OC is to lower the multiplier and up the FSB. If you just overclock the cpu, things only run faster in the cpu... but if you overclock the cpu and the FSB, not only is it computing faster, the information is traveling up and down the bus faster. So it makes EVERYTHING faster. The Memory controller intergrated into the AMD processors... gives it the biggest advantage over intel... one of the reasons i'm an AMD fan. I got:
Asus A8N
AMD 64 3000
OCZ ULTRA LOW LATENCY 2GB (2pcs)
X800 XL 3D Connect
bunch of random HD's
550Watt PSU

I also KNOW that good components play the biggest part in OC'n. If you get crapy parts, the chances of you getting a stable OC, if any at all, are slim to none. So the extra money is DEFINETLY worth it to me.
Donutey
Welliottdude wrote:
Donutey wrote:
Welliottdude wrote:
EDIT-Just look above for image...

Nice fake Razz Though seriously I wouldn't know how to fake an image like this.

There is a limit to FSB speeds though.. and generally the FSB doesn't have to exactly keep up with the processor.

As with Bus Speed is linked to Front Side Bus.

Yea, that makes absolutely no sense, all P4's are multiplier locked, meaning you have to change the FSB to make them "overclock" With the P4 FSB * Multiplier = speed... For example: I have a 2.8ghz P4, it has a quad pumped bus of 533Mhz, so the core speed (FSB) is 133Mhz... the multiplier is 21, so 21 * 133Mhz = ~2.8Ghz... Here's a screenshot:
of a P4 @ 3Ghz ( 15 * 200 = 3000Mhz )
[/img]