FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Senses your body can detect?

Ryox
What are Senses your body or you can detect.

Like I can sense when someone walks up behind me, without even knowing it.
Or, I can sense the different air smells when someone sprays something or the air odor.

What other senses can someone be alert for?
ocalhoun
Well, there's sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste, of course...
And there is some debate about the existence of senses besides those.

There's also the possibility of adding more senses through technology.
I recall one experiment where an inventor built an ankle bracelet that could detect electromagnetic fields, and would give him the direction and strength of the field through subtle vibrations on the inside surface of the bracelet.
After a few weeks of getting used to it, he found that he could easily translate the touch sense into the EM sense, and actually found it useful at times.
Though it was still just translating into the touch sense, after getting used to it, he could use it just like a 6th magnetic sense.
rajpk
if you are talking about some common senses that present in all human being like smell hear...

i think you are talking about some supernatural sense like you can feel someone behind you??
yes many human beings posseses different kind of senses
and some know about them and some dont
Bikerman
Don't forget the hidden 6th sense - propriaception.
I put together a clip from a Horizon (BBC Science series) programme which will explain better than I could:
Daja
Ryox wrote:
What are Senses your body or you can detect.

Like I can sense when someone walks up behind me, without even knowing it.
Or, I can sense the different air smells when someone sprays something or the air odor.

What other senses can someone be alert for?

What you're feeling is vibration and recognizing a difference in the air flow which explains why you can sense someone behind you without any particular noise, these have something to do with touch and hearing which still falls within the five known senses.

Unless you consider adaptation as a sense (which we have developed better than other animals, just like they developed better hearing/sight), I don't think there's anything mysterious or brand new about it.
ocalhoun
Daja wrote:

Unless you consider adaptation as a sense

Adaptation is a behavior, not a sense.
Nameless
Other than the classic five and propriaception let's also not forget equilibrioception, thermoception, nociception, various internal senses, and common. Razz
Mrs Lycos
Nameless wrote:
Other than the classic five and propriaception let's also not forget equilibrioception, thermoception, nociception, various internal senses, and common. Razz

Before finding this post, I already knew there were other senses beside the common five, the one I could easily put forward as an example was the feeling of being hungry - or any other internal pain or feeling, like when you've had enough food, you feel the need to go to the bathroom - your bladder or rectum is sending you signals. Equilibrium was another example.
Then I found this interesting contribution from bikerman - I was shocked to see there were some people who were not aware of the position of their body - and that it was a sense lacking in them. Strangely enough, only 10 people in the world are known to have this illness Shocked
Dennise
Mrs Lycos wrote:
Nameless wrote:

Before finding this post, I already knew there were other senses beside the common five, the one I could easily put forward as an example was the feeling of being hungry - or any other internal pain or feeling, like when you've had enough food, you feel the need to go to the bathroom - your bladder or rectum is sending you signals. Equilibrium was another example.
Then I found this interesting contribution from bikerman - I was shocked to see there were some people who were not aware of the position of their body - and that it was a sense lacking in them. Strangely enough, only 10 people in the world are known to have this illness Shocked

Most alternate senses suggested here are internal bodily function senses. I believe the OP is asking about external events that can be detected without using any of the common five senses.

Propriaception is interesting because positional changes can be considered external and are perceived sans the usual five senses partially by our inner-ear vestibular system.
airh3ad
This is very normal there's sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste, of course a person with normal color vision would appear to have extrasensory perception. However, we want to reserve the term "extrasensory perception" for perception that is beyond the range of the normal.
alimddine
Yep .sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste