FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

help me with some linux configuration errors please.

TheGeek
Ok, so im using Slackware 10.1 and i have a problem. For some reason my install of Slackware didnt work right and everytime i would log out of X it would take me to a black screen where the terminal should have showed up. To see whether or not it was truely going back to the Term. i would log out of x and then in the black screen type "startx" and it would flicker and then black again. Then i would do the ctrl-alt-backspace procedure to log out of X and it would again flicker and go black.

Now, here is the problem that i am having. I was in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and i was trying to play around with the drivers for the video output to see if that may have been a contributer to my problem. A friend of mine suggested that i switch the driver from "vesa" to "i810" i think it was. So, i did that, and then rebooted. All went fine untill i did "startx" it then came up with an error telling me that the driver was wrong or something like that and that i needed to change it back.

My question is, is how exactly do i change it back without going into X? I used Emacs to edit the file and im not sure how to do it from the terminal. If someone would please help me fix this so i can get it back to the "vesa" driver i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
n0xvb
You should be able to su and then run xorgconfig, that will prompt you through creating a new xorg.conf file.
TheGeek
what exactly do you mean by run xorgconfig?

if i su and then just type in xorgconfig, its not gunna work, and if i just su then type in the full directory path then it says permission denied...wtf?
Helios
Didn't work with Slack.. sorry..

What is Slack based on? (except linux)

I had the same problem with the driver in my Debian.
I stole the XF86Config from Knoppix, uploaded it (http://helios.frihost.net/Other/XF86Config-4) and using the FTP commands got it back to /etc/X11 in my Debian(all that in text-mode =P)
It's all good becasue Knoppix is based on Debian.

So maybe there's a Slack based Live-cd distro or a live cd distro basedo n the same thing that Slack is based on(if it is).

If the re-build of the config file doesn't work.. you should reformat.

I'll search some stuff about Slack for you.
edit: Ah, search with google! You'll find a lot about Slack and xorg.
also, try http://www.slackware.com/config/x.php

As i'm not so experienced with Slack i'll stfu.

side note:
I have no friggin idea why people even move to Slack =\
TheGeek
thank you very much.

yea, im thinking of just reformatting, i could use the extra hard disk space for my windows partition anyway, its taking up almost 30GB of space...im not using near that much so its un nessesary.

I think ill just wipe it out and put it on the laptop i just got Very Happy

gotta love Pentium 2s
n0xvb
TheGeek wrote:
what exactly do you mean by run xorgconfig?

if i su and then just type in xorgconfig, its not gunna work, and if i just su then type in the full directory path then it says permission denied...wtf?

Hmm. 10.1 should be using the xorg version instead of the xfree86 flavor.
try this:
Code:
su -

and put in the root password.
Then check the /etc/X11 directory and see if there is a file called xorg.conf or xfree86.conf (I think this is right, I haven't used this flavor for a while!)

If xorg.conf exists, then you should be able to use the command xorgconfig and it will prompt you through creating the new configuration file. (I had you use the su - command above because it will add the correct path to search for commands.)

If you have the xfree86 flavor of X, then run xf86config and it will do the same thing.

The correct config program should be found in /usr/X11R6/bin directory.

Not sure why it wasn't working for you, if you haven't wiped your system give it a shot! If it's too late, sorry but I haven't been on in a couple days Sad
TheGeek
ok i understand now, sorry, i was thinking of when i just did xorg.config without an emacs or pico lol. Ok, so just type in xorgconfig and try it, ok that i will try. thank you.

Ill let you know if it doesnt work
n0xvb
TheGeek wrote:
ok i understand now, sorry, i was thinking of when i just did xorg.config without an emacs or pico lol. Ok, so just type in xorgconfig and try it, ok that i will try. thank you.

Ill let you know if it doesnt work

No problem! I was going to say you could also manually edit the file and change just the video definition. But I haven't done that for a while and would have difficulty walking you through that.

One other thing, I have used the i810 video just fine, but my onboard video would not support any framebuffering. I had to run in standard mode (80x25) for the command line interface.

Good luck!
Jay
palka
TheGeek wrote:
Ok, so im using Slackware 10.1 and i have a problem. For some reason my install of Slackware didnt work right and everytime i would log out of X it would take me to a black screen where the terminal should have showed up. To see whether or not it was truely going back to the Term. i would log out of x and then in the black screen type "startx" and it would flicker and then black again. Then i would do the ctrl-alt-backspace procedure to log out of X and it would again flicker and go black.

When your screen flickers after running 'statrx' , press [CTRL] + [ALT] + [-] once or twice. that may solve your problem

TheGeek wrote:
A friend of mine suggested that i switch the driver from "vesa" to "i810" i think it was. So, i did that, and then rebooted. All went fine untill i did "startx" it then came up with an error telling me that the driver was wrong or something like that and that i needed to change it back.

My question is, is how exactly do i change it back without going into X?

Thanks

First make a backup copy of you xconfig file ( opem the file with emacs, save with a different suffix eg ABC.bcup, so that leaves you with 2 copies of the same file)
Then make necessary changes. log out reboot.

If you edited badly than from command line replace the file from the backup file:

as root

$ cp ABC.bcup /etc/X11/XF86Config( or whatever)

you should be home and dry

Very Happy