FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IE 7 to take a cue from Firefox

Gladiator
Microsoft has confirmed that its upcoming version of Internet Explorer will include tabbed browsing, a feature made popular by competitors Opera Software and Firefox.

In a Microsoft blog, IE product unit manager Dean Hachamovitch told consumers not to expect too much from tabbed browsing in IE's beta offering.

"The tabbed browsing experience in the upcoming IE 7 beta is pretty basic," he said. "The main goal for tabs in our beta release is to make sure our implementation delivers on compatibility and security. The variety of IE configurations and add-ins across the Internet is tremendous."

Hachamovitch said his team would seek feedback to help iron out bugs in the feature. "We've also looked closely at reported vulnerabilities in other implementations of tabbed browsing," he said.

The IE executive also explained the motivation behind keeping the feature--which has been available for some years in competing products--out of IE until now.

"Some people have asked why we didn't put tabs in IE sooner," he said. "Initially, we had some concerns around complexity and consistency--will it confuse users more than it benefits them? Is it confusing if IE has tabs, but other core parts of the Windows experience, like Windows Media Player or the shell, don't have tabs?"

Hachamovitch admitted he thinks his company made the wrong decision on tabs--a decision he is happy to reverse.

But the reversal is not good enough for at least one Firefox developer. The open-source browser's release manager and quality assurance lead, Asa Dotzler, posted a response on his own blog to the IE 7 update.

"I suspect that this announcement could be translated to 'we decided late in the game that we needed tabs and they're nowhere near done, so don't flame us when you see them,'" Dotzler wrote.

The Firefox developer contended that Microsoft's motivation in adding the tabbed browsing feature was more related to preserving its software monopoly than providing services to its users.

"Does this mean that the IE 7 user won't benefit? No, not at all. Just because their motivation is lame doesn't mean that the resulting software will suck. But I do think that all software bears the mark of the motivation behind its creation."

"With Firefox, I think our motives are obvious to our users. People understand that we're working to make the Web better for them," he added.

Hachamovitch, however, pointed out that people have been able to use tabbed browsing with the existing version of IE for some time by using freely downloadable third-party solutions like the one provided by Maxthon.

"I think all of these are great," he said. "They demonstrate how extensible the IE platform is. They also provide tabbed browsing in IE on top of Windows versions (like Windows 9Cool that IE 7 will not support."

Renai LeMay of ZDNet Australia reported from Sydney.
Cryptz
this i gotta see for the new IE

i think its be just a cheap rip-off of Opera or firefox

Microsoft makes crap,nothin to make a fuss over anyways
N0 0phph3nc3 bu7 50m371m35 m1cr050ph7 ju57 74|<3 7h1ng5 ph0r gr4n73d.....

TRANSLATION:
No offence but sometimes Microsoft just take things for granted.....
n0obie4life
say...they just copied an idea that originated from ffx..
mOrpheuS
n0obie4life wrote:
say...they just copied an idea that originated from ffx..

man...just when I thought I'd posted enough in these discussions. Rolling Eyes

I don't think that tabbed browsing is a feature which "originated from ffx".
I have seen it on numerous IE based browsers before.

Cryptz wrote:
i think its be just a cheap rip-off of Opera or firefox

If that can be claimed just because ffx implemented tabbed browsing before IE, then one can even say that ffx or opera is a cheap rip-off of Maxthon (or slimbrowser, or avant browser, or crazy browser etc.) Confused

anyways, Firefox is a good browser.
and I think IE isn't as bad as it is usually made out to be.
Wink
bwzs2003
I only like Firefox Very Happy
mOrpheuS
bwzs2003 wrote:
I only like Firefox Very Happy

oh boy...here we go again. Rolling Eyes

mOrpheuS's 68th law of internet forums wrote:
Any thread with the words "IE" or "firefox" inside it will endup being posted with posts like "I like firefox" & "IE sux".

someday, I'm going to write a book about these.
Wink
MeleceNi
I don't know it how long could be out. I need the fast speed and low hardware required.
Ranfaroth
IE7 will only be available for WindowsXP™ and Longhorn™...
n0obie4life
sssssh, stop talking about microsoft and mozilla..

I'm highly sure that we have someone from microsoft here...
seanooi
we shall meet in court young man.....

hahahaha...just kidding... Laughing

anyhow, as long as a browser can browse through web sites without causing problem I'm ok with any of them.
n0obie4life
seanooi wrote:
we shall meet in court young man.....

hahahaha...just kidding... Laughing

anyhow, as long as a browser can browse through web sites without causing problem I'm ok with any of them.

i was talking about m0rp Rolling Eyes
billgertz
well, im pretty excited about the upcoming IE7 if it's true.. i hope it'll be a better browser and the "Internet Explorer has caused an error and needs to be closed" thing goes away.. its quite annoying if your browsing an important site and then suddently your page goes crazy.. im hoping for a better browser.. good luck microsoft.. Wink
jebdm09
billgertz wrote:
well, im pretty excited about the upcoming IE7 if it's true.. i hope it'll be a better browser and the "Internet Explorer has caused an error and needs to be closed" thing goes away.. its quite annoying if your browsing an important site and then suddently your page goes crazy.. im hoping for a better browser.. good luck microsoft.. Wink

The "Internet Explorer has caused an error and needs to be closed" won't go away. It happens with every program, now and then, even Firefox (but that may be related to my half-million installed extensions Very Happy )

If you hate when your browser crashes, (esp if you can't remember how exactly you got to the page you were on), I would reccomend the Firefox extension SessionSaver. It not only remembers what sites you were on after a crash, it remembers ANYTIME you quit! But be careful if you close your browser and you have multiple windows open at once, to close them quickly or sometimes it won't remember all of your windows. If you're running windows, use the program group thing on the taskbar and right click to press "Close Group".
mengshi200
I think fireworks can defeat ie,the most cause is open source.
S3nd K3ys
mOrpheuS wrote:

someday, I'm going to write a book about these.
Wink

No need. It's very clear why FF is better than IE.

There are inherrent security flaws in IE concerning Active X and Active Scripting, as well as it's tight integration in the OS, and the OSs uncanny knack for settup up 'default' accounts with root access, which is the mode most users use. Which is the mode that is more succeptable to attacks.

It's a security hole too big to fix, and as long as those 3 scenerios exist, IE will suffer more and more from loss of market share, which will, in turn (as individuals realize just how ef'd up Microsoft is when it comes to security and other issues) trickle down to the OS people start choosing.

There are other things as well. For example: The only reason the INTERNET works is because everything at it's "core" is built upon an agreement that everything is the same. In other words, it's built on STANDARDS.

For some reason, Microsoft feels it doesn't need to abide by these standards. Look at XHTML or CSS for example. IE is one of THE WORST when it comes to abiding by the standards set forth here. How many features are supported in other browsers, but not in IE?

A better question is: Why does MS feel the need to not support standards that benefit everyone? It can only be one of 2 reasons: The can't, or, more likely, they wont. Considering the size/wealth of Microsoft, I will lean towards they wont. Without going into too much detail (See Longhorn), they have their own plans, and those plans involve implementing their own standard and forcing it upon the world.

Here's a nice picture depicting Little ol Firefox vs Big Bad MS...

Fredrik
Tabbed browsing wont save IE. Bring on Opera and Firefox, the ones that actually care about webstandards.
Slay
Since i've got no problem with firefox, i won't change for IE , tabbed or not !
Firefox will still the browser with the most developper behind it to devellop plugin and other such of things.
tidruG
The problem is, that like Windows, Explorer is like the basic universal web browser... for all Windows users... I mean, not many people actually bother to go searching for better browsers... they just install the basic OS (Windows, for the obvious reason that it is most widely used) and get IE with it.

So IE has to be careful about all the various people using the browser... of course, for me, personally, because I like tabbed window options, and also, my IE is giving me problems right now and I can't figure out a way to uninstall it Sad .... Can anyone tell me how to uninstall IE 6 and reinstall it so that it works properly? It doesn't open the Javascript pop-ups. Please send me a PM if you know how
freeonline
as long as Microsoft concern they will say that's more secure..
You says themselves Unsecure?

I think that will not be cheaper at all and I dont think that gona make some more security. I think thay might ADD some new look and some feature for sure for attracting people as a good bussiness ship but I dont think thats a last version...security will go higher and will make better so When they gona make last software of that fox[most secure], I will buy that on the first day of that lunch.

Bussiness stretegies can be learned by those people guys. Look at their speech. WOw looks like any political currupted speech. I can easily tell you that will be safer but not safest

Thank. reply please