FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Friendship is once again magic! (Contains ponies.)

Fire Boar

I can't believe there isn't a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic thread here yet. Well, today I right that wrong as My Little Pony season 2 is about to start! The third episode is airing on 15th October, after which the usual weekly schedule will commence.

For those of you living on the wrong side of the internet who have either never heard of My Little Pony, or who have but think only thoughts of revulsion, let me bring you up to speed. Last year, Hasbro aired a new children's TV show based on their line of toy ponies for young girls: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It's a cartoon featuring six pony friends living in Ponyville and learning about friendship. This is not the first My Little Pony cartoon series to come out... but the less said about the old one the better - that was apparently terribad.

So what's the fuss? MLP:FiM is amazing, that's what. The animation is fantastic, the show is brilliantly written, packed with humour and references suitable for both adults and children alike, and the characters are thoroughly three dimensional: all have their perks and flaws, and their differences and conflicts are used well to explore a variety of facets of friendship. While there is a lesson at the end of each episode, it all fits in naturally and is never patronizing. So, anyone who has not yet seen season 1? See it now on the YouTubes.

But this is about season 2. As I teased earlier, two episodes are already out. Similar to the pilot of season 1, these are more like a finale for season 1 than the start of a new season, I think. In this, a powerful enemy named Discord has awoken and is spreading chaos about Equestria. The main cast must once again use the Elements of Harmony, but it won't be easy, as Discord turns their friendship upside down. Can Twilight Sparkle and the others hold on to the friendship they have built and thwart Discord? (Spoiler: Yes.)

So, about this episode (minor spoilers coming, watch it first). I must say, this is probably the creepiest installment to date. I mean, Discord's influence starts off harmlessly enough with chocolate rain and cotton candy clouds, but around episode 2 things are just... weird. As in nightmare fuel weird - have the creators forgotten about their primary audience? Because if I were a six year old girl and had just seen episode 2, I wouldn't be able to sleep for weeks! Still, it does wrap up the events of season 1 very nicely.
silverdown
Very Happy cuteness Exclamation Im gonna have to google that in a bit sounds..... interesting. thanks for sharing. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Nameless
I still don't see the need to begin the show with the our protagonists banding together on a quest to defeat a great evil ... in what is otherwise a slice-of-pony-life style series.
Fire Boar
Huh... looks like this is getting ever more surreal. Episode 3 came out yesterday, in which Twilight Sparkle went insane. No, seriously.

There's a new opening. Actually that's a bit of a stretch - it's exactly the same tune, but they've redone it a bit. I think the new style is a little less snappy... not necessarily better nor worse. But... other than redoing the music, it's exactly the same.

Hang on, where did that train come from?! Ponies have trains now?

In other news, Fluttershy takes yet another level in badass and wrestles a bear.

And Rainbow Dash takes up Karate.

You're going to hate me for this last one. HOW CAN YOU SAY NO?!

What is this I don't even...
ocalhoun
Fire Boar wrote:

I can't believe there isn't a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic thread here yet.

Me too!

I was so sure that I posted a new one without checking.

...Turns out that wasn't the best idea ever.

Anyway, I'm here now, and ready to celebrate episode 4... The long-awaited return of Luna!

...And she's very different than everypony expected!

And on top of that, Derpy's costume and antics were hilarious, given fans' characterization of her.

And Rainbow Dash in a shadowbolt costume, referencing all the way back to the first episode? That was awesome.

And for all the other bronies who I never knew were on this forum....

Nameless wrote:
I still don't see the need to begin the show with the our protagonists banding together on a quest to defeat a great evil ... in what is otherwise a slice-of-pony-life style series.

I guess it's traditional now to start each season off with an epic battle of good vs evil...

Can't complain though. That two part episode was fantastic. Adds new depth to a lot of the main characters, and has a ton of humor in it.

...And besides... Discord is such a delightfully chaotic villain... It's really fun to see a villain who isn't pure evil, but instead, pure randomness...

Creating cotton candy clouds that rain chocolate milk, collecting the rain in a glass, then drinking the glass (not the milk), then tossing the milk away, where it explodes?
And having that be one of the more normal things you did that day!?!
Epic.
coolclay
Sweet, I had no idea they were planning a second season. I am super excited, after the end of the first I didn't know what to do with myself! I intentionally skipped a lot of this thread so I didn't get too many spoilers, nothing better than going into a show/movie with no expectations!
Fire Boar
I've got to say, I really loved episode 4. The character of Luna was just brilliant. Definitely put my hopes up for the rest of the season.

Episode 5 airs tomorrow. Can't wait. By the way, where did you find those mini emote images, did you just pull them from the videos or is there a collection somewhere?
deanhills
Ha! Was unaware Season 2 started, so have some new episodes to look forward to. I'm at the start of the first one where Discord is still a statue, but cracks apparently appearing.
Very Happy

ocalhoun
Fire Boar wrote:
By the way, where did you find those mini emote images, did you just pull them from the videos or is there a collection somewhere?

I've been painstakingly working my way through season 1, screen-capturing, cropping, and resizing to make all my wonderful pony emotes.
(On episode 11 so far, with 147 emotes made.)

Once I'm done with season 1, I'll package it all as a collection that can be downloaded.

deanhills wrote:
Ha! Was unaware Season 2 started, so have some new episodes to look forward to. I'm at the start of the first one where Discord is still a statue, but cracks apparently appearing.

Must... refrain... from... posting... spoilers...

...The first half of that two-part episode was a little too hurried, I thought... trying to shove too much content into too small a time... But the second part of it makes up for that. I suppose the script writers had to make some sacrifices, as there's really enough there to make a 3-part episode, but they probably weren't allowed to do so.

Phew... restraint successful.
coolclay
Wow, that's impressive Ocalhoun. What devotion!
Fire Boar
ocalhoun wrote:
Once I'm done with season 1, I'll package it all as a collection that can be downloaded.

And at that moment, all forums everywhere became flooded with ponies.

3 hours until episode 5 airs! Eeeeeee!

EDIT: Or not... they delayed it a week.

ocalhoun
Fire Boar wrote:

EDIT: Or not... they delayed it a week.

WAT?

Aww... It's true, isn't it?
How could they?

*Sigh*
... Back to waiting.

...Well... actually, back to emote-making... Just finished downloading s1e12.
Fire Boar
Wow. Episode 5. The unthinkable happened: Rarity got [spoilers]muddy[/spoilers]!

I like the way they took the end of episode 3 further: as I hoped, they used it as a platform for other ponies (not just Twilight) to take the spotlight. Here, of the mane 6 only Applejack and Rarity make an appearance, and we still get a letter to Princess Celestia. Excellent.
ocalhoun
^ Yep, it's the first episode ever to not feature Twilight Sparkle!

...And from the looks of it, I guess we can expect more of that to come.

The part I really enjoyed was the breakfast at the beginning... They actually made that pretty hilarious.
Fire Boar
ocalhoun wrote:
The part I really enjoyed was the breakfast at the beginning... They actually made that pretty hilarious.

Definitely. My three favourite quotes this episode would have to be these:

Rarity: *sniff sniff* I didn't know you could... burn juice.

Rarity: Nngh... let me guess, apple sauce?
Sweetie Belle: Nope. Toast!

Rarity: You see? We are apple pie!
ocalhoun
Fire Boar wrote:

Rarity: Nngh... let me guess, apple sauce?
Sweetie Belle: Nope. Toast!

Only a CMC could mess up making toast so badly that you mistake it for applesauce! ^.^

I used to not like them very much... But I must admit, I am starting to like the way they always manage to screw up in such over-the-top ways.
portoskt
nice, recomended
caroline953
This show was made for kids. I watched all the episodes on youtube and looked at comments on each episode. I only found out about this show 4 days ago and already I've watched every episode at least twice and have seen just about every video of them on youtube.
ocalhoun
caroline953 wrote:
This show was made for kids. I watched all the episodes on youtube and looked at comments on each episode. I only found out about this show 4 days ago and already I've watched every episode at least twice and have seen just about every video of them on youtube.

Welcome to the herd!
Fire Boar
I have determined that this thread needs more trollestia.
Nameless
So now I've belatedly started watching season 2 and I feel the need to say that the first episode was absolutely and without question the worst episode of this series so far! The attempt at serious drama strangled the humour while the humour consistently backstabbed the drama, the plot felt forced and tediously predictable (this from a supposedly chaotic villain), the obvious recap parts might have been less ridiculous if they'd had any relevance to 24 of the 26 previous episodes ... yah. Pretty much the only good point was Discord vs Fluttershy. Fluttershy is kind of awesome in her own way.

Fortunately, s2e2 mostly gave that up and stuck to the usual lighthearted tone. It had some hilarious moments, some antics, and a lesson was learned. Definitely one of the better episodes.

The last episode I watched was s2e3, back to the usual format. It felt a little slow at first, but was okay overall. Smarty Pants was just so fantastically in character for Twilight that I had to smile. Are there any ponies who haven't gone briefly crazy yet?
Fire Boar
Nameless wrote:
The last episode I watched was s2e3, back to the usual format. It felt a little slow at first, but was okay overall. Smarty Pants was just so fantastically in character for Twilight that I had to smile. Are there any ponies who haven't gone briefly crazy yet?

Let's see... out of the mane 6 and not counting the Discord episodes in which everypony except Twilight goes crazy we have:

Pinkie Pie: Party of One. And every single other episode too, but especially Party of One.
Twilight Sparkle: Lesson Zero
Fluttershy: The Best Night Ever
Rarity: Suited for Success (slightly) and Sisterhooves Social (again, very slightly)
Applejack: Applebuck Season
Rainbow Dash: Sonic Rainboom

I don't think AJ and RD can be said to have gone crazy at all - Applebuck Season and Sonic Rainboom are very contrived examples: the former is just excessive exhaustion, and the latter excessive nervousness. Applejack is just too reliably stoic, and Rainbow Dash never takes anything seriously enough to flip out.

This week's episode, "The Cutie Pox"... kinda ridiculous as usual, but I'm going to put that this episode was not as well written as usual. Still fun, but there didn't seem to be much point to the episode. Also, it's a little bit inconsistent: if not even OP Twilight can use magic to make a cutie mark appear, why can the "Heart's Desire" plant make a dozen appear?
ocalhoun
Fire Boar wrote:
and Rainbow Dash never takes anything seriously enough to flip out.

Oh, I think being put up in competition with a better flyer would do it.
She has a lot of pride in being the best... and I think she'd completely fall apart if it was proven to her that she wasn't the best.
Quote:
if not even OP Twilight can use magic to make a cutie mark appear, why can the "Heart's Desire" plant make a dozen appear?

Maybe because they weren't real ones?
Fire Boar
ocalhoun wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

She has a lot of pride in being the best... and I think she'd completely fall apart if it was proven to her that she wasn't the best.

What do you mean? There is no better flier. Rainbow Dash is the best flier in Equestria - Celestia said so herself in Sonic Rainboom! RD could only lose a race if... say... she got her wing stuck under a rock or something.

ocalhoun wrote:
Quote:
if not even OP Twilight can use magic to make a cutie mark appear, why can the "Heart's Desire" plant make a dozen appear?

Maybe because they weren't real ones?

Twi didn't have to make it real either, just a temporary fake to cheer up Applebloom for the cute-ceañera. Or something.

Anyway, episode 2.7: "May the Best Pet Win!". This one's just awesome... it features Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash singing a duet. How could it possibly not be awesome? First song of season 2, and it's amazing. Seriously, the songwriters have really pulled out the stops this time - I reckon this one's even better than "Winter Wrap-Up", and that's saying something.

Quote of the day (from the song):

RD: "I need something real fast like a bullet to keep up with me."
FS: "Sure! How about a bunny? They're cutesie and wootsie and quick as can be."
RD: "Cutesie... wootsie... have you even met me?"
ocalhoun
Fire Boar wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

What do you mean? There is no better flier. Rainbow Dash is the best flier in Equestria - Celestia said so herself in Sonic Rainboom! RD could only lose a race if... say... she got her wing stuck under a rock or something.

Speaking of which... was it just me, or did it seem that she only had one feather trapped under the rock...
Aren't feathers replaceable?
Nameless
I'm now caught up on this season of Friendship is Magic! And let me be by far not the first to say that apparently I was wrong - bullets, tanks and presumably then guns do exist in My Little Pony canon. This disturbs me somewhat. What dark, bloody history has Equestria gone through that hasn't been mentioned yet? If bullets can be casually referred to by ponies, where are all the bullets now? Is this why Twilight was really so afraid of turning in an assignment late?

Oh, I'm sorry. We were innocently singing about choosing a pet. Wasn't it hilarious how ... eager ... all of the choices were to prove their worth. I wonder how many of them we'll see again in future episodes?

Anyway. Sisterhooves Social is definitely my favourite episode of this season so far. The writing was excellent and dropping the usual one-liners from non-focus ponies helped the serious character moments a lot. I'm not sure when or how exactly Rarity moved from being my least to most liked pony, but I'm finally able to admit to myself that this has happened.

By comparison, the Cutie Pox felt a total rehash whose ending was even more contrived than usual. Less of this please. >_>

Fire Boar wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Seriously though, learning that you can't always be the best and win but you can still be awesome as long as you give it your best sounds like the exact kind of aesop MLP would use for Rainbow Dash at some point.
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:
bullets, tanks and presumably then guns do exist in My Little Pony canon. This disturbs me somewhat. What dark, bloody history has Equestria gone through that hasn't been mentioned yet? If bullets can be casually referred to by ponies, where are all the bullets now?

They were common back during the griffon wars...
The griffons used such things, but the ponies mainly fought with magic... and pies*.
The reason you don't see them around anymore is because the ponies don't use them, and the griffons haven't been allowed to have them since the treaty of Cloudsdale was signed.
...The griffons had been winning, but then the dragons used their distraction to mount a surprise takeover of their homeland, leaving the remaining griffons with no choice but to surrender due to the loss of all their supply lines. Now, the only griffon population exists as refugees in Equestria, and their numbers keep dwindling.

*Which are just as effective against griffons as they are against buffalo.
Fire Boar
It's fun to find inconsistencies in a children's cartoon! Here's another one: ponies, despite being herbivores, apparently eat eggs. Mind. Blown.
ocalhoun
Fire Boar wrote:
It's fun to find inconsistencies in a children's cartoon! Here's another one: ponies, despite being herbivores, apparently eat eggs. Mind. Blown.

Oh, it gets worse than that!
Supposedly, they keep pigs because 'they really like truffles'...

But...

WHAT'S ON THAT SANDWICH!?!
Fire Boar
ocalhoun wrote:

WHAT'S ON THAT SANDWICH!?!

Mind blown x2 combo. :O
Nameless
^ A slice of seedless watermelon, of course.
Fire Boar
Whew, crisis averted. Mind unblown. (Mind sucked?)

Episode 8: The Mysterious Mare Do Well (Spoilers whited.)

I don't care what anyone says, this was a great episode. Third-best this season, with Luna Eclipsed and Sisterhooves Social taking spots 1 and 2 respectively. As for the identity of Mare Do Well, I was kept guessing all the way through, and the reveal at the end was pretty surprising. My first guess was when she fixed the dam: I immediately thought Trixie. Then when it was revealed that she had wings, I thought Alicorn. Probably Luna. I did twig towards the end when Rainbow Dash chases Mare Do Well throughout ponyville that she is more than one pony. Because nopony can move like that... except maybe Pinkie Pie.

Best quote:

Rainbow Dash: "That's why I hired Spike as my ghost writer."
Pinkie Pie: "Aaaah! Spike's a ghost!" *dashes out of the room*

Best pony: Mayor. For coming up with the ridiculous name "Mare Do Well".

Best hooves: Bucky McGillyGutty and Kicks McGee
Nameless
*watches episode*

I kind of figured the identity of Mare Do Well right after the second appearance, but I hardly hold that against the episode given that I'm a little more genre-savvy than the primary demographic. Razz

Twilight and Co. must be very patient ponies though, because I was just about ready to kick Rainbow Dash in the face and dump her off the inexplicable deadly cliff before the five minute mark. (She has WINGS she'd be FIIIIIINE.)
ocalhoun
I just like how the 'pinkie sense' finally made another appearance...

And yeah... I followed Fire Boar's reasoning in figuring out who it was*... After the dam, I really did think it was Luna.
Now that would have been mind=blown! ^.^
(Luna's got good reason to be a secret hero, right? So she can reveal herself later and improve the way everypony sees her.)

*Though I figured it out when they were all talking to Rainbow about the mystery mare, didn't take me all the way to the end.
Fire Boar
To be honest, I think "it's Luna" was more wishful thinking on my part than anything. And yes, the pinkie sense making a welcome return was... welcome.

On a mostly unrelated note, just in case one pony a week isn't enough for you, how about a pony newspaper? It's hilarious, trust me.
ocalhoun
Fire Boar wrote:

On a mostly unrelated note, just in case one pony a week isn't enough for you,

Oh, I get plenty of pony.
My pony forum is set to hit 1000 posts after just over a month. ^.^
Nameless
Oh hey. I think I've finally figured out why Rarity is my favourite pony. It's because of the different way in which character-driven episodes like this last one ('Sweet and Elite') are presented. A lot of the time, the conflict comes from one pony exaggerating an issue and becoming obsessed / crazy for a while until a valuable lesson is learned and everything goes back to normal. This can be amusing, but the pony's actions seem out-of-character and there's no overall forward motion. A recent example of this would be Twilight in 'Lesson Zero'.

Other times, the pony is presented as possessing a flaw but initially oblivious to it until the consequences are demonstrated and their lesson learned. This means the pony spends most of the episode being an unlikeable jerk and if the flaw comes from a known character trait then it's hard to believe they actually did learn their lesson. But if the flaw didn't come from a known character trait, then the conflict feels artificial and tacked on rather than coming from the pony themselves. Rainbow has had this twice already (in a row!) in S2.

However, Rarity's episodes have generally shown her trying her hardest or struggling with her temptations throughout the whole storyline. This makes her mistakes more sympathetic, her lessons more believable, and her character much more consistent. Even when her behavior varies she acknowledges it (eg. apologising when abusing instead of pampering Opal, or lampshading her hamminess when the situation is serious) and only adds depth to her original archetype.

The others may often be more amusing I want a party cannon, but Rarity is easily the most developed and realistic character in the show.

ANALYSING GIRLY KIDS SHOWS: this is what I do now.
ocalhoun
Enough with the analyzing...

Instead...

Dat Fleur!
portoskt
yes, i agree about that
Fire Boar
Episode 11: Hearth's Warming Eve

Another great episode. This time, apparently friendship is not only magic, but warmth as well. Does that mean we can measure friendship in Kelvin? Anyway, featured in this episode:

- Fluttershy is the new tinsel.

- Ponies ride ponies.

- Pinkie Pie loves dirt.
Pinkie Pie: "In the name of the earth ponies, I think I'm gonna call this place... Dirtville!"
Applejack: "How about... Earth?"
Pinkie Pie: "Earth! Congratulations to me for thinking of it!"

Best quote:

Fluttershy: "Actually, I don't really hate her, I just really really really really really really really really really really dislike her."

Best pony: Pinkie pie, for thinking outside the box and inside the chimney.

Best inconsistency: The banner at the end. It depicts Celestia and Luna, despite the story being set before either were born.
Fire Boar
So many recent Things. The last few episodes have all been good. Episode 16 can basically be summed up like this: Rainbow Dash is bored in hospital after breaking her wing.

She eventually resorts to the ultimate last resort: a book. She then discovers the joys of reading, but is determined not to let her friends think she's an egghead. Hilarity ensues.

Best quote: RD: "I'm not trying to steal your slippers! I'm trying to steal this book!"

Best pony: Daring Do. Duh.

Best lethal trap: The load-bearing artifact. Of course the temple would explode when you take the McGuffin. That's just common sense.

... I could watch that animation loop all day.
ocalhoun
Fire Boar wrote:

... I could watch that animation loop all day.

Watching Rainbow being bored was pretty fun...
I liked the part when she got desperate and started playing with the light switch. ^.^