FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cool Error Dime I found!

GoldenEagle
I came across a 2000D Dime in awesome condition. It has a completely smooth edge, much like a nickel and does not appear to have the "clad" composition where you can see a transition of the metals. Instead, it looks to be a single metal strike completely through. Looking at the coin from the side, the edge appears to be a perfect right angle. The coin is the correct dime size.

Photos

The coin is also missing the initials of the artist under Roosevelt's head.

Finally, the torch on the reverse of the dime is flat and shows no detail. The coin does not appear worn at all.

What are your thoughts?
ocalhoun
Definitely get it appraised... error coins like that can be really valuable sometimes.

...On second thought, would you like to sell it to me? I'll give you double face value; $.20!
deanhills
GoldenEagle wrote:
I came across a 2000D Dime in awesome condition. It has a completely smooth edge, much like a nickel and does not appear to have the "clad" composition where you can see a transition of the metals. Instead, it looks to be a single metal strike completely through. Looking at the coin from the side, the edge appears to be a perfect right angle. The coin is the correct dime size.

Photos

The coin is also missing the initials of the artist under Roosevelt's head.

Finally, the torch on the reverse of the dime is flat and shows no detail. The coin does not appear worn at all.

What are your thoughts?
Great find! You must be thrilled to bits. Where did you find it?
Very Happy
D'Artagnan
really awesome, yeah you should look into id, mistake currency can be really valuable
GoldenEagle
I'm not really sure --- I should take it somewhere to get appraised.

Have you guys ever found anything cool like this? Very Happy
deanhills
GoldenEagle wrote:
I'm not really sure --- I should take it somewhere to get appraised.

Not yet ..... where did you find the coin?
Very Happy
standready
GoldenEagle wrote:
I should take it somewhere to get appraised.

I would not without doing some research yourself on the internet.
I have never found an error in coins before. You might want to dig around for the "states" quarter 'Wisconsin'. It had a known error on some of those coins though I can't remember what that error is.
ocalhoun
GoldenEagle wrote:

Only thing remotely comparable that I've found was a steel penny.
Those are a pretty interesting collector's coin because they were only made during WWII, when there was a copper shortage.
GoldenEagle
standready wrote:
GoldenEagle wrote:
I should take it somewhere to get appraised.

I would not without doing some research yourself on the internet.
I have never found an error in coins before. You might want to dig around for the "states" quarter 'Wisconsin'. It had a known error on some of those coins though I can't remember what that error is.

The error is a craked die error in which it looks like there's an extra leave on the corn. I hunt a lot of coins but haven't been able to find one of those.
jwellsy
I would change the file names of the pics on your site to keywords like 'cracked die dime' 'bad mint dime' or whatever. Then send out a few press releases on the minting error. Ride the organic google traffic wave to your site.
Ashebrook
Definitely cool! Very Happy

I've never found a coin with errors. I have, however, found a couple of indian head pennies in my till at the end of the night; was very surprised that someone hadn't put them away for safe keeping. Of course, I pitched in a couple of standard pennies I happened to have on me and took the indian heads home.

Happy Collecting!
dude_xyx
Nice find. In that blog post you should add a photo of correct dime so readers can compare the error. None US people won't see much difference there without anything to compare what's missing. xD
Cosmoslayer
Yes, really need the correct dime picture cause not all of us have seen it. Very Happy
eclipious
Whoa that's pretty cool. I always wanted to collect cool coins that I found after I started seeing some strange coins only to later realize they were specially minted coins and that they were just still beginning ti circulate through the system so they weren't really rare or anything. Kind of like if you saw a the state quarters for the first time and thinking it was rare XD

But that is cool Very Happy I just collect coins from around the world during my travels now Smile
dude_xyx
When you travel visit those rusty old antique shops you find sometimes. Those shops have cool coins which can be bought for good prices. You usually use to do reasonable amount of bargaining but it worth it.

Also eBay is a good place to thought it can take a while to get used to coin hunting there.
quex
Huh. No chance that it could be an overbuff where somebody tried to polish it on a mechanical belt and left it going way too long...? I've seen that a few times, but never on the EDGES of the dime. It might also be a coin that was being struck at the exact moment of a power failure, and the last bit of pressure wasn't exerted on the blank. Seen that once on a foreign coin, and it gave a similar error to the un-detailed back.

Definitely worth a trip to a collector. :3