FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lightning: too awesome to not share

ocalhoun
This gif was simply too awesome not to share, so here it is:

Sure, you can read about how lightning works in a textbook... but it's amazing how much easier it is to understand when you can see it like this.
(Not to mention how hypnotically fascinating it is!)
ExMachina
That is pretty amazing.

Nature never ceases to leave me awe-struck.
kelseymh
That's really amazing! As the sky-to-"ground" burst branches out, you can see clearly how the voltage per branch is slowly decreased as the branches form (current in parallel!), until they all peter out below breakdown (~10 kV/cm). Then one branch actually manages to make it to ground, closing the circuit, and you see the immediate ground-to-sky return, neutralizing the charge difference.
menino
Wow, thanks ocalhoun.
This is really great to watch repeatedy.
Really amazing the way that lightning goes in slow motion.
Quite mesmerising, I must say. Love the way nature works in slwo motion.

I actually wonder, if we can ever harness this energy for our use.
Blaster
It looks like fireworks going off almost. Very cool find there ocalhoun. Thanks for sharing.
SonLight
Ocalhoun,

Thanks for that great animation. Do you have any information about the time involved? That graphic could be great for a Physics class, where the instructor could play the frames at various rates. If it was a sufficiently advanced class, they could even make estimates of the voltage and current involved as the various leaders unfolded.
ocalhoun
SonLight wrote:
Do you have any information about the time involved?

Nope. All I've got is the picture... don't even know where it originally came from, sorry.
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:
SonLight wrote:
Do you have any information about the time involved?

Nope. All I've got is the picture... don't even know where it originally came from, sorry.

I tried searching for this and I wasn't able to find anything. I googled cool animated lighting and firework like lighting and neither yielded any results.
sathym
That's amazing. Thanks for sharing !
standready
That is so Cool Thanks for sharing.
Bikerman
Here's a bigger version. Some of the contrast is lost, obviously.
Radar
I read the title of this thread, and I instinctively thought 'Lightning: fun for everyone. Share with your friends', in a kind of Acme-toolkit-way.
nguyenvulong
Wow it's really beautiful and awesome
This can save energy compared with artificial lighting, which represents a major component of energy consumption in buildings. Without proper design, energy can be wasted by using too much light, or using out-dated technology. Proper lighting can enhance task performance, improve the appearance of an area, and have positive psychological effects on occupants. One of the core tenets of proper lighting is uniform illumination, which is required in many applications such as projection displays, LCD backlights, medical lighting, microscopy, solid-state lighting, and general lighting.[