FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

LostOverThere
I came here to talk about Skyward Sword, and to my horror, we don't have a single thread about Nintendo's upcoming console Zelda title!

So, let's get cracking! The game comes out on Wii, in November, 2011.

Trailer:

Screenshots:

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out. How about you guys?
ato784
I don't own a Wii, and nether do most of my friends, and I'm not going to buy one just for a zelda game.... But I do think that It will be a good game and hope you enjoy it when it comes out.
loremar
I wish I have a Wii to play this. Well, hopefully I wish I can play this using an emulator in the future. Razz
Dementei
loremar wrote:
I wish I have a Wii to play this. Well, hopefully I wish I can play this using an emulator in the future. Razz

Maybe this? Googled it just now: http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/
Review: http://www.destructoid.com/hd-wii-emulator-is-actually-better-than-the-wii-a-bit-138610.phtml
LostOverThere
Another trailer, ahoy!

...dat music. Wink
drunkenkoz
I'm just going to stick to the classic such as my Ocarina of Time for the N64.
LostOverThere
The first reviews have come in. Edge gave the game a prestigious 10 out of 10. Making it the 14th game to achieve such a score. Whoa!
wombatrpgs
Does anyone have that gif of the dude in the second to last screenshot waving his tongue around?

But anyway, it does look interesting, but I can't say I'm overly excited about it. There doesn't seem to be anything that sets it apart from the classic like OoT. I'm never enthusiastic about gimmick games either, but something just seems... lacking, somehow, and I can't place my finger on it.
futurcat
wombatrpgs wrote:
Does anyone have that gif of the dude in the second to last screenshot waving his tongue around?

But anyway, it does look interesting, but I can't say I'm overly excited about it. There doesn't seem to be anything that sets it apart from the classic like OoT. I'm never enthusiastic about gimmick games either, but something just seems... lacking, somehow, and I can't place my finger on it.

Is it end of this month?
weableandbob
This looks rrreeaalllyyyy good. The question is whether it's good enough for me to dust off my Wii, buy a MotionPlus attachment, and buy the game. My guess is no, so I'll probably end up playing it in a few years when it's really cheap.
wombatrpgs
futurcat wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

Is it end of this month?

I'm not sure I understand the question.
LostOverThere
wombatrpgs wrote:
futurcat wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

Is it end of this month?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

I think he means does it come out this month? If so, yes. On the 18th in Europe and 20th in America.

As for the game itself. It seems Skyward Sword is actually trying to do different things to the old OoT formula. For instance, the complete restructuring of dungeons to seamlessly integrate them into the overworld, whilst adding puzzles to the overworld itself sounds quite interesting.

But hey, I'm more pumped for the soundtrack CD than the game itself.
rogue_skydragon
I really wish I owned a Wii. This looks so bad ass. I can't help but think, though, that the graphics and detail in this look like they've been toned down a notch from Twilight Princess.
LostOverThere
rogue_skydragon wrote:
I really wish I owned a Wii. This looks so bad ass. I can't help but think, though, that the graphics and detail in this look like they've been toned down a notch from Twilight Princess.

Well, it's a completely different style. Twilight Princess went for realism. Skyward Sword is going for impressionism.

Also, reviews are out, and 95% on Metacritic certainly aint bad!
wombatrpgs
LostOverThere wrote:
rogue_skydragon wrote:

Well, it's a completely different style. Twilight Princess went for realism. Skyward Sword is going for impressionism.

Also, reviews are out, and 95% on Metacritic certainly aint bad!

Yeah, I think the graphical and style changes across the series are something that keeps it going. It's certainly not a formula... well, on second thought, not *as* formulaic as other games out there.
LostOverThere
wombatrpgs wrote:
Yeah, I think the graphical and style changes across the series are something that keeps it going. It's certainly not a formula... well, on second thought, not *as* formulaic as other games out there.

Hmm, yeah, I think I have to agree with you on that one.

Out of curiosity, has anyone played this yet? Personally, I haven't myself, but it definitely is on my Christmas list. Smile
wombatrpgs
LostOverThere wrote:
Out of curiosity, has anyone played this yet? Personally, I haven't myself, but it definitely is on my Christmas list. Smile

Nope, still haven't tried it. Just bought it for my little brother for Christmas though, so I'll have to ask him how it is at some point.
futurcat
wombatrpgs wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:

Nope, still haven't tried it. Just bought it for my little brother for Christmas though, so I'll have to ask him how it is at some point.

I started yesterday plating. So far played 2h, and it's promising. Zelda this time is not a pricess in the game, at least so far.
LostOverThere
futurcat wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:

I started yesterday plating. So far played 2h, and it's promising. Zelda this time is not a pricess in the game, at least so far.

That's good! I heard the opening was a bit slow. How are you finding that?
wombatrpgs
LostOverThere wrote:

That's good! I heard the opening was a bit slow. How are you finding that?

Seems that's said of pretty much every Zelda, but I've never found it a big problem. Twilight Princess had one of the best openings ever, though that was criticised pretty often as being very drawn out. Oh well, we'll have to see for this game though.
LostOverThere
wombatrpgs wrote:
Seems that's said of pretty much every Zelda, but I've never found it a big problem. Twilight Princess had one of the best openings ever, though that was criticised pretty often as being very drawn out. Oh well, we'll have to see for this game though.

Yeah, Nintendo games are a bit weird. They either just let you go for it or do excessive amounts of hand-holding and tutorials. Zelda suffers from the later. Perhaps one day they'll find the middle ground...
futurcat
Already played about 15h into this game. So far it's quite easy.
wombatrpgs
LostOverThere wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

Yeah, Nintendo games are a bit weird. They either just let you go for it or do excessive amounts of hand-holding and tutorials. Zelda suffers from the later. Perhaps one day they'll find the middle ground...

On the Wii it wasn't so bad because the motion controls were new and they did take some getting used to... Though I was mainly refering to the sewer dungeon rather than the extended info dumps.
LostOverThere
Current in the second temple (The "Earth Temple"). Quite enjoying it so far. Not entirely sure on the graphics though. The impressionistic art style is certainly lovely, but the super jaggedy edges really take the shine off it. A real shame there doesn't appear to be any AA at all. Sad

The music is a bit hit and miss, I've found. There's some absolutely wonderful stuff, but Eldin Volcano's music is just ghastly.

But of course, it's probably too early to judge.
wombatrpgs
LostOverThere wrote:
Current in the second temple (The "Earth Temple"). Quite enjoying it so far. Not entirely sure on the graphics though. The impressionistic art style is certainly lovely, but the super jaggedy edges really take the shine off it. A real shame there doesn't appear to be any AA at all. Sad

The music is a bit hit and miss, I've found. There's some absolutely wonderful stuff, but Eldin Volcano's music is just ghastly.

But of course, it's probably too early to judge.

I've heard good things about the earth temple... mainly that it's only a couple rooms but still enough for a full dungeon. I've been listening through the soundtrack and so far nothing much has stood out. I think I've liked the music of the Gameboy entries more than the console series in general though.
drunkenkoz
I'm changing my statement from earlier and going to be purchasing this game. I heard from many friends that it's well worth the buy.
LostOverThere
I'm nearly finished it (at the last dungeon, presently) and I'm loving it. Despite what I said earlier, I think the art style is just beautiful, even if the horrendous jaggedies detract a bit.

The dungeons are probably some of the best the series has ever had, they're really well done and feel very intuitively designed. Likewise, the story, whilst primitively told (still no voice acting) is done well.

Regrettably though, the biggest issue I have with Zelda games still remains, and that's how incredibly designed they feel. Good games, for the most part, are designed to feel as if they're not designed. A great example of this is Half-Life 2, which, despite quite literally being a long, linear level, manages to feel real. Skyward Sword still feels incredibly structured. Not just with the dungeon's, but the world itself. It feels like carefully positioned blocks disguised as a forest. I really hope they work on this next time 'round.

I should have the game finished by tomorrow, and will hopefully have more impressions then. For now, here's a video of Gabe Newell and Link in Skyward Sword:

futurcat
LostOverThere wrote:
I'm nearly finished it (at the last dungeon, presently) and I'm loving it. Despite what I said earlier, I think the art style is just beautiful, even if the horrendous jaggedies detract a bit.

The dungeons are probably some of the best the series has ever had, they're really well done and feel very intuitively designed. Likewise, the story, whilst primitively told (still no voice acting) is done well.

Regrettably though, the biggest issue I have with Zelda games still remains, and that's how incredibly designed they feel. Good games, for the most part, are designed to feel as if they're not designed. A great example of this is Half-Life 2, which, despite quite literally being a long, linear level, manages to feel real. Skyward Sword still feels incredibly structured. Not just with the dungeon's, but the world itself. It feels like carefully positioned blocks disguised as a forest. I really hope they work on this next time 'round.

I should have the game finished by tomorrow, and will hopefully have more impressions then. For now, here's a video of Gabe Newell and Link in Skyward Sword:

After you finished, did you party in the "hero mode". Do you know which is the difference with the normal mode?
Mr_Howl
futurcat wrote:
After you finished, did you party in the "hero mode". Do you know which is the difference with the normal mode?

The main differences are that enemies deal twice as much damage; you can't find hearts anywhere unless you are carrying the heart medal; and the Skyward Strike is stronger. You also get to start the game with whatever bugs and treasures you had left over.
wombatrpgs
Mr_Howl wrote:
futurcat wrote:

The main differences are that enemies deal twice as much damage; you can't find hearts anywhere unless you are carrying the heart medal; and the Skyward Strike is stronger. You also get to start the game with whatever bugs and treasures you had left over.

That's a very oldschool Nintendo way of increasing difficulty, haha.
LostOverThere
futurcat wrote:

I actually haven't given it a go yet! I did save over, so I can return to Hero Mode, but I might leave it for a bit later. I feel quite content with what the game gave me, so I'm pleased to be putting it down for now.

wombatrpgs wrote:
That's a very oldschool Nintendo way of increasing difficulty, haha.

Yeah, it's very by-the-books.
Peterssidan
Me and my brother played this game and have recently finished it. I think the game is quite good but what really bothers me is that they never let us figure out what to do ourselves. That blue thing really gives too much information away. When falling from the sky Link automatically use the sailcloth even though there is a button to use it. It's supposed to be a game so why not let me fall and get hurt if I want to? I get the feeling they are treating me as a child. I would appreciate if there was 2 modes, one for children as it is now, and one mode for adults that can think for themselves.

I suspect this has been a problem in earlier games too but I'm not sure if it's worse or not. At the time when I played Ocarina of Time I wasn't very good at English so I didn't read much and I saved my mother's patience to the important story parts. Now later I have realized that they gave quite a lot of help in this game too but I never realized that when I played it the first time.
LostOverThere
Peterssidan wrote:
Me and my brother played this game and have recently finished it. I think the game is quite good but what really bothers me is that they never let us figure out what to do ourselves. That blue thing really gives too much information away. When falling from the sky Link automatically use the sailcloth even though there is a button to use it. It's supposed to be a game so why not let me fall and get hurt if I want to? I get the feeling they are treating me as a child. I would appreciate if there was 2 modes, one for children as it is now, and one mode for adults that can think for themselves.

This is a legitimate problem with Zelda games. There is way too much hand holding. Which is, perhaps, an even bigger issue in Zelda than if it were in other games. For a series all about "coming of age" stories and "figuring out life for yourself" the gameplay really makes sure you don't get an opportunity to do that.
wombatrpgs
LostOverThere wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

This is a legitimate problem with Zelda games. There is way too much hand holding. Which is, perhaps, an even bigger issue in Zelda than if it were in other games. For a series all about "coming of age" stories and "figuring out life for yourself" the gameplay really makes sure you don't get an opportunity to do that.

I guess the tutorial-ish aspects of the game design go a little far. It's hard to think of it as an open world, really, but it seems to be a trend in modern AAA games in general.