FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost number of posts ....

deanhills
September has to be probably one of the worst number of posts in Frihost's history - check out number of posts at the link below:
http://www.frihost.com/search/post_statistics.php

September is usually the "revival" month after the summer holidays and this is the lowest postings in September in the history of Frihost. Not sure what can be done to up the numbers?
Ankhanu
Interesting topics and users having the free time to contribute to them...
I really don't think number of posts is a big deal, as long as the discussions that ARE happening are good. Lots of filler posts really doesn't help much, though.
Ghost Rider103
Almost a record low. Last months post stats were nearly as low as the second month Frihost existed.

In my opinion, the number of posts per month (year, whatever) does make a difference. If you look at the stats, Frihost is slowly dying. The less people that are posting, the less and less we'll be visiting frihost, making the post count again even lower, tumbling into the ground eventually.

Not saying it will die, but if something doesn't change, I predict it will eventually have a much smaller post count per month in the next few years.

The way to improve people posting, I think for one would be to send the entire member list emails. I think Bondings would have a way to do this. Letting everyone know about what has changed (more space, competitions, points for domains, etc.) would bring some old members back. I'm sure a lot of them still use their same emails.

Advertising again would also help. Not sure if Bondings is advertising still or not. But if he isn't, then starting up again would be good. Or even some of us should (the referral system would be a great way to prove you are registering).

Another great way is to make sure Dean keeps posting daily. This usually helps out monthly post count by 700 or so. Laughing

The over look of Frihost probably scares some people away. But we've all been through this subject before more than once. I'm just hoping Bondings does something with the look soon. When I first came to Frihost, I was iffy on whether or not the site was real or not and I almost pressed the back button to go back to Google. That was back in 06. 5 years later the site really looks out-dated and doesn't look like it's being handled anymore. So I'm sure we've lost some potential users due to this reason.
william
I'm not going to lie, I have had little motivation to post in the past year or two simply because there aren't nearly as many interesting topics (or just topics) to post in. Back in 2006-2007, this was my favorite forum to post on (I never fell below 45 points), but the loss of many contributing members plus the slowdown of posting has given me less reason to hang around. During Frihost's peak, there certainly weren't very many filler posts at all, but rather very active and engaging discussions.

Also, one of the reasons I still try to stay around (other than to keep my hosting) is because this is the best free host I've ever used by a huge margin. I know if I were to stop posting, I would only contribute to decline, and I don't want to see Frihost die out.

I like the Ghost Rider103's idea of emailing members to show what's new in hopes to bring them back (and also make mention of the new points reset option). And advertising is a must.

And while this is a topic for another discussion, I can't say I'm a fan of what certain moderators have been doing recently. It's just not the same as it used to be, and it's a bit more hostile than before.

But anyway, there are still posters around here who still contribute greatly and are the force that is keeping Frihost alive. Lets hope their efforts brings Frihost back up. Very Happy

Just out of curiosity, how many people are hosted on Frihost?
Ghost Rider103
I won't say how many are hosted on Frihost, as I don't know if Bondings would like for everyone to know how many are hosted or not. If he doesn't mind he can jump in and give you a number.

I will say that some number over 7,000 hosting requests have been rejected though.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Almost a record low. Last months post stats were nearly as low as the second month Frihost existed.

In my opinion, the number of posts per month (year, whatever) does make a difference. If you look at the stats, Frihost is slowly dying. The less people that are posting, the less and less we'll be visiting frihost, making the post count again even lower, tumbling into the ground eventually.

Not saying it will die, but if something doesn't change, I predict it will eventually have a much smaller post count per month in the next few years.

The way to improve people posting, I think for one would be to send the entire member list emails. I think Bondings would have a way to do this. Letting everyone know about what has changed (more space, competitions, points for domains, etc.) would bring some old members back. I'm sure a lot of them still use their same emails.

Advertising again would also help. Not sure if Bondings is advertising still or not. But if he isn't, then starting up again would be good. Or even some of us should (the referral system would be a great way to prove you are registering).

Another great way is to make sure Dean keeps posting daily. This usually helps out monthly post count by 700 or so. Laughing

The over look of Frihost probably scares some people away. But we've all been through this subject before more than once. I'm just hoping Bondings does something with the look soon. When I first came to Frihost, I was iffy on whether or not the site was real or not and I almost pressed the back button to go back to Google. That was back in 06. 5 years later the site really looks out-dated and doesn't look like it's being handled anymore. So I'm sure we've lost some potential users due to this reason.
Excellent post Ghostrider. I've been nodding my head up and down through every paragraph. 700 posts .... OK .... that sounds like a great challenge .... hehe .... will see what I can do.
Twisted Evil

I totally agree. We need more posts, but most of all, we need new people to post. I was wondering whether it could be an idea to make a YouTube Video for example, but before we do that, we need to get up to date with everything first.
Very Happy
Nameless
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
The way to improve people posting, I think for one would be to send the entire member list emails. I think Bondings would have a way to do this. Letting everyone know about what has changed (more space, competitions, points for domains, etc.) would bring some old members back.

Spamming old members who very probably no longer care for the service is unlikely to achieve much more than ill will. Advertising directed at finding new members who are looking for the service now would give a more positive and less desperate vibe.

/not a marketer
/hates emails like that, though
standready
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Funny, Ghost! Dean, glad to see you posting once again. Your absence explains why post count was so low. But also consider this: September starts a new school year for many so their thoughts went to studies (as they should) instead of posting.
Ankhanu
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Hmm, good points. I hadn't considered post count in relation to how it could influence FriHost being found by new members, I'd only considered it from the perspective of a current member.
From the perspective I was working with, high post count with little content can actually be a reason to stop using a messageboard... and in fact, was part of why I only posted about once a month for quite a while. There were lots of posts, but very little of any real content in my eyes. But, once some more robust discussions popped up, my interest piqued, and I now peek in almost every day, even if I don't contribute.

As a poster, it's all about the signal to noise ratio... part of which does include there being a broadcast to tune in to, though. It's a fine balance, and one not easily tread.
ocalhoun
Hmm.... the spammer crackdown probably doesn't help the post count any either...

But that's no great loss, since they don't add anything of value anyway.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Hmm.... the spammer crackdown probably doesn't help the post count any either...

But that's no great loss, since they don't add anything of value anyway.
I thought spam posts are counted as part of the number of posts, as they don't get deleted, they only get moved to the Spam Can Forum?

When we reached 1-million posts, those included the spam posts too. Bondings suggested that he could let us start on counting down to 1-million again by discounting the number of spam posts. Refer his 1-million post blog post:
http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-126701.html
Quote:
Finally for the people looking for a new posting goal to look forward to, I'll create a counter with the number of all public/non-spam posts since currently all posts are included in the one-million posts. If you don't include the spam posts, AWIT's and staff forums, we still are at about 950.000 posts. Hence we can once again reach the million "real" posts!
Nameless
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
I thought spam posts are counted as part of the number of posts, as they don't get deleted, they only get moved to the Spam Can Forum?

aliyrgfvaierg anirgiahfiauhmsfiabsv aiorgf asidga sdygf a gd fag

Hit submit, repeat as necessary.

Problem: solved. Cool
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Sorry, I don't get this ....
Question Embarassed
loremar
I really don't know what to say about this topic since I've only been here since June and this is the first forum that I become active with.

But could it be because of competition that there is less number of active frihost members or new members? I found some good post to host sites and they really give good amount of quality hosting, some even way way better than frihost and even give free domains. If I have joined them and been active the same way I am with frihost then I could have a lot more than 750 mb and 20gb bandwidth. But then I looked at their forums and I could not find interesting people such as deanhills, Bikerman, and Bluedoll that got me hooked up into this mania in my first days of June and stumble into many other interesting characters as well. Reminds me of RPG genre in games. The deeper you go into the story you get to met new characters and learn more powerful skills. Plus the appearance of the frihost theme feels nostalgic. I look at other fancy forums and I couldn't find one that is more beautiful than frihost. Well, it's a typical phpbb theme but every corner and every pixel of it I love. Like a home, no matter how the appearance looks dull, it always looks beautiful for me.

Uhm, forgive me if I go off topic and maybe eat all the words I just said in the last paragraph but I just like to ask this question. How did the the frihost grow this big? I just found this post to host site actually weeks before I discovered frihost. And recently I just grown to love it as well. The problem is I can only count my fingers in one of my hands as how many active members it currently have right now. If the forum doesn't grow, we are definitely just going to die in boredom. Not that I want to leave frihost or create a competition, I'm already attached to the P&R and those people that go to that section regularly. Makes my atheism a little more meaningful and willingly defend it against theists(lol, for a stupid forum how passionate am I? It's just that I'm not able to find other atheists in real life especially in my current situation). And I can't seem to find a similar forum online.
loremar
I looked at deanhills recent posts and it's so astonishing. Shocked
So many posts under Oct 2. Makes me wonder if deanhills is a robot. Only spambots can make that kind of amount of posts.

Hmmmm. Think Few days before October, somebody posted about deanhills disappearance just about the time Bikerman disappeared. Deanhills showed up and waited until October for him to start posting. CONFIRMED. Smile I am now certain this a CONSPIRACY!! Twisted Evil
deanhills
loremar wrote:
I looked at deanhills recent posts and it's so astonishing. Shocked
So many posts under Oct 2. Makes me wonder if deanhills is a robot. Only spambots can make that kind of amount of posts.
Well Ghostrider thought I should get to 700 posts per month. I spent almost three hours last night working the keyboard.
Very Happy

I hope all of the energy will attract more energy and get the Discussion Board to vibrate a little.
loremar
deanhills wrote:
Well Ghostrider thought I should get to 700 posts per month. I spent almost three hours last night working the keyboard.
Very Happy

I hope all of the energy will attract more energy and get the Discussion Board to vibrate a little.

hahaha. Good luck with that.

Did you say vibrate? That sounds funny. Yeah we need some good vibes.
Nameless
deanhills wrote:
Nameless wrote:

You see, the joke is that if cracking down on spam doesn't technically remove it from hidden sections of the forum, then posting additional keyboard mashings and having them quickly flagged as spam would still raise the posting statistics without new users being any the wiser. This is called subterfuge.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Nameless wrote:

You see, the joke is that if cracking down on spam doesn't technically remove it from hidden sections of the forum, then posting additional keyboard mashings and having them quickly flagged as spam would still raise the posting statistics without new users being any the wiser. This is called subterfuge.

Aha! Got it. So all the reason to ask Bondings to get us back to number counting to 1-million posts. We have another 500,000 or so posts still to go. Well that was quite a while ago, maybe it is another 498, 000. Bondings could probably advise what the correct number is.
william
deanhills wrote:

Aha! Got it. So all the reason to ask Bondings to get us back to number counting to 1-million posts. We have another 500,000 or so posts still to go. Well that was quite a while ago, maybe it is another 498, 000. Bondings could probably advise what the correct number is.

I think you mean 50,000. Wink 500,000 would mean that half of our posts were spam Shocked (a scary thought).
Ghost Rider103
We don't have quite 50,000 spam posts yet.

@Nameless: Sending all the members an email about what's new is hardly a spam email. To my knowledge, Frihost has never done anything like this. If I were checking my emails one day (and hadn't been on Frihost for some time) and seen they sent me an email, you'd bet I'd read it. Same goes to some of the sites I haven't been on in years. I would be very curious as to what has changed on some of the sites I haven't been to in years.

I used to visit a gaming forum years ago when I was into games. I haven't been there since probably 2007. If I hadn't gotten an email from them a few weeks ago, I would have totally forgotten it ever existed. I only go on there now to catch up with some old friends and I'm not very active, but it did bring me back.

Would also like to note I am the type to hate those spam-like emails. But this isn't spam in my book.
GoldenEagle
I think just reminding people about the forum may not be a bad idea. I learned I need to reposition my site at some point in the future, but haven't really gotten around to it. I definitely need to get back on the bandwagon as far as that sort of thing goes.

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
We don't have quite 50,000 spam posts yet.

@Nameless: Sending all the members an email about what's new is hardly a spam email. To my knowledge, Frihost has never done anything like this. If I were checking my emails one day (and hadn't been on Frihost for some time) and seen they sent me an email, you'd bet I'd read it. Same goes to some of the sites I haven't been on in years. I would be very curious as to what has changed on some of the sites I haven't been to in years.

I used to visit a gaming forum years ago when I was into games. I haven't been there since probably 2007. If I hadn't gotten an email from them a few weeks ago, I would have totally forgotten it ever existed. I only go on there now to catch up with some old friends and I'm not very active, but it did bring me back.

Would also like to note I am the type to hate those spam-like emails. But this isn't spam in my book.
truespeed
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I agree a new modern looking frontpage is needed. (I know my site has a basic looking front page so i am not really one to talk. Smile )

I think this does have a big bearing on whether new users join or not,i like you joined in 2006 and like you the look of the site made me think twice,it was only because i clicked through to the forums and saw that it was active that i did sign up,remember this was 2006 at frihosts peak when there were always people logged in and posting,now that isn't the case,there are plenty of times when i am the only online user.

Maybe change the online users to last 30 minutes?

ocalhoun cleaning up the spam will help,a spammed forum looks like a neglected forum,another thing that puts new potential users off.
deanhills
william wrote:
I think you mean 50,000. Wink 500,000 would mean that half of our posts were spam Shocked (a scary thought).
Oops right - I think I quoted Bondings somewhere in this thread as well.
Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
According to the frihost stats, we're only averaging about 113 posts per day.

If it keeps going this way, we're looking at a lower post count than last month.

I sense a bad trend here.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
According to the frihost stats, we're only averaging about 113 posts per day.

If it keeps going this way, we're looking at a lower post count than last month.

I sense a bad trend here.
Agreed, hopefully we can work on the number of posts.

On the positive side. Frihost's page rank is still the same as in June when I last looked. I.e. 4/10. Which is really not that bad considering the slump in posts. Would be awful though if that should slip as well.
truespeed
I remember back in 2006 where although there was by far more posts and users online,actual users online including guest traffic was lower,all the content posted over the years has ensured that guest traffic will still be healthy regardless of how many new posts are made,so even though posts are down i would imagine with the extra traffic, revenue through ads are up.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
I remember back in 2006 where although there was by far more posts and users online,actual users online including guest traffic was lower,all the content posted over the years has ensured that guest traffic will still be healthy regardless of how many new posts are made,so even though posts are down i would imagine with the extra traffic, revenue through ads are up.
You're so right about that Truespeed. That is probably why the ranking at 4/10 has still stayed the same.

I also have a suspicion that there are MANY people who check out Frihost (Frihost receiving the benefit of those hits), but then when they see Frihost decide not to register. We really need to do something about a Facelift and updating the information pages. And restart competitions, but ones that are simple and easy and don't require too much work. People like the idea of free domains.
Ghost Rider103
Yes, the look of the site definitely impacts how people react as far as signing up goes. So it does need to be fixed and I think it is one of the biggest issues.

Looking back at the stats, I see you can sort it by day/month/year. Daily we're doing fairly well, better than last month. So we may have impacted the stats some so far.

However if you look at the yearly stats, it's a bit scary. You can see what I mean about slowly dying. Or quickly for that matter.
standready
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Looking back at the stats, I see you can sort it by day/month/year. Daily we're doing fairly well, better than last month. So we may have impacted the stats some so far.

This month is up because Dean is back. I think he averages 113 post per day. I wish I had the time to post more.
loremar
standready wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

This month is up because Dean is back. I think he averages 113 post per day. I wish I had the time to post more.

Huh? Eh? You're kidding right? I counted his posts and his most number of posts was on Oct 2 about 26 posts that day.

OK. So I guess you are just kidding lol.
Ryox
This forums is nice, but it's not as active as it should be with all the hosting and the amount of people that is Registered to the forums, It should be alot higher, I seriously do think we need to find other ways to get the hosting out to people for forum posting besides from review area's. Maybe through games we play online, or something?
foumy6
I know that I was one of the people that took a break during the summer, and now that it is over I am posting again and getting all my points up and everything. So I find it very weird that september posts are down :/ I guess it could be all the people that just left. I dont know :/
deanhills
standready wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Thanks Standready, but others are posting more too. Particularly Ocalhoun (making some awesome quality posts), Ghostrider, Truespeed .... and more. I hope that the additional energy will attract more energy. Anything you post is great to see by the way. Very Happy
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Particularly Ocalhoun (making some awesome quality posts)

Ghost Rider103
The numbers are still looking good for the month, hopefully we can keep it up.

I've noticed a little decrease in activity over the past day, but maybe it was just my timing in signing online.

Breaking 5k posts next month should be a goal for all of us. You all have power to use the referral system as well, which can help out greatly!
loremar
I would be more motivated if Bondings or any admin responds to my free domain request.
A top level domain for me would help me boost up my posting addiction.
deanhills
Aidenjeff wrote:
I remember in 2006 when there were many posts by users and much more online real online users, including guest traffic was less, all content published in recent years has ensured that traffic will always be asked regardless of the number of health messages that further, even if the messages are down, I guess with the extra traffic, revenue from the ads are.
Hehe .... so are you saying that Bondings could then basically retire from Frihost, and we don't need to post that much any longer? The million plus posts are generating interest without any input needed from anyone else. COol!
Cool
missdixy
Oh no!! I don't want Frihost to die!!!! Sad

Also, I wonder if the amount of good posts vs filler posts has changed at all.
Ghost Rider103
Frihost wont die as long as we all work on keeping it alive.

Remember the referral system. The more users the more posts we get. I have a hard time referring people, since most the other forums i used to visit have died. My msn messenger is basically made up by a LOT of people from frihost. So asking people off my messenger is difficult since most are already on here.

Im trying hard to stay more active, but for me to be active so does everyone else. I cant post unless theirs a lot to reply to.

Im posting this from my cell, thats how hard im trying to help out here.

Would be real great if we could get our posting numbers back up to about the same as what we did back in August and then go from there.

So far we're looking like we may get close to it but not quite. So let's up our postings and start referring some people.

I'm going to try and get some buddies of mine on here today to hopefully help out.
loremar
I'm looking at the stats.
It might not make it. If it does, barely.
And I see Frihost is losing some interesting topics. Gone are those days where I see lots of posts flashing down to the bottom when I click the new posts. Sad
Ghost Rider103
Well, it's early on the 13th (my time) and we have 1718 posts since the 1st of October.

I figure round the number down to 1700 or so and divide it by 12 (1700 post in 12 days) = about 141 post per day. So if we can consistently make 141 posts a day for 30 days, that's 4,230 posts which will get us right around what we did in August.

Plus there are 31 days in October, so even if my initial calculation for the 12th or the 13th (whatever day it currently is according to Frihost) we should still be right around there.

So if we keep it up, we should break the 4k post mark which is my current goal for Frihost.
_AVG_
I don't know why but in general, the post quality seems to be down at Frihost since a couple of years (at least in the Science forums, which are my favorites). There was a time when I would look forward to at least 3 good posts everyday ... and now, it's very unintellectual. Even the Sports forums, where I would regularly post, seem to be on a decline. I hope it's just a bad phase for Frihost, I really enjoyed posting here Sad
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

They let you have internet access right from your cell in prison nowadays?
Spiffy!
deanhills
_AVG_ wrote:
I don't know why but in general, the post quality seems to be down at Frihost since a couple of years (at least in the Science forums, which are my favorites). There was a time when I would look forward to at least 3 good posts everyday ... and now, it's very unintellectual. Even the Sports forums, where I would regularly post, seem to be on a decline. I hope it's just a bad phase for Frihost, I really enjoyed posting here Sad
I hope it is just a phase too. As we do have some really good posters, but I think they are posting less than before.

@Ghost Rider. Great stats there. Hope we can make it. Probably going to take a while for the momentum to increase in overall.
Ghost Rider103
ocalhoun wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

They let you have internet access right from your cell in prison nowadays?
Spiffy!

Being a ghost and all, they really can't do much about it. So I'm free to come and go as I please. Laughing

I think I've noticed a slight increase in postings and the quality of posts.
loremar
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Yes, you're right. There's about 220 posts since yesterday. That's considerably above than the average.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

You're right about the quality of posts. I've seen golden oldie Frihosters piping up here and there making some really great posts. Nice to see them as they of course motivate people to write comments as well, and then everything becomes that much more alive.
Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
loremar wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Yes, you're right. There's about 220 posts since yesterday. That's considerably above than the average.

Yeah, the number of posts is definitely up.

If we can make a constant 200 post per day, that would be a huge increase and nearly 6,000 post per month. That there would be excellent.

@Dean, yes, some old members that haven't been around for a while have popped back up. One that comes to mind is Daniel.
Zuex
william wrote:
"I'm not going to lie, I have had little motivation to post in the past year or two simply because there aren't nearly as many interesting topics (or just topics) to post in. Back in 2006-2007, this was my favorite forum to post on (I never fell below 45 points), but the loss of many contributing members plus the slowdown of posting has given me less reason to hang around. During Frihost's peak, there certainly weren't very many filler posts at all, but rather very active and engaging discussions.

Also, one of the reasons I still try to stay around (other than to keep my hosting) is because this is the best free host I've ever used by a huge margin. I know if I were to stop posting, I would only contribute to decline, and I don't want to see Frihost die out..."

Exactly how I feel too. I can't think of anything else to write to extend on that.
rajpk
hmm
i think should add interesting things to forum so that more people come, take interest and reply to post
and
as said by other members
quantity doesnot matter....quality matters
so if quality of post will be better... quantity will be addad auto
thats my thoughts
thanks
Ghost Rider103
I'd have to disagree with that some.

There actually are some very good quality topics here. However there aren't very many of them.

So I think quality and quantity both play a large role in keeping the community active.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I'd have to disagree with that some.

There actually are some very good quality topics here. However there aren't very many of them.

So I think quality and quantity both play a large role in keeping the community active.
To me the quality of a post is relative to the person who is making the contribution. There may be some posts that have the appearance of lacking in quality, because the English at first glance is not too great, but if one reads the post carefully, there may be a very interesting message from the person.

I like the energy that is coming from the Board right now, and Ghost Rider, it is great to see all of your posts. They seem to be the first ones too that I notice when I log into Frihost, and very motivating.

I truly believe energy sparks energy and we are on a really good wicket now.
Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
That is true, but what most people here are getting at, is the quality of the threads here aren't as interesting as they used to be. I somewhat do agree to an extent.

I remember being able to find something that I am interested in everyday. Over the past year, I've found it difficult to go into the General Chat and find something that grabs my attention like it used to. I'm sure that many others are noticing this. If threads aren't grabbing everyone's attention, then we aren't going to be able to post like we used to.

Saying that, I feel I should be contributing new threads to Frihost, not just posts. Nobody is going to read my post anyways if the topic title doesn't grab their attention. I think this is the real core of the issue.

Us long time members have already created a lot of threads over a long period of time. So for us to start up a new thread I think is difficult. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I made a new thread. Though it was probably in the filmmaking and graphics section.

This brings up an idea... perhaps a monthly contest should be held (in the contest forums) that offers coins for the best thread of the month (or even week if it gets enough submissions).

As far as my postings, I've had some spare time on my hands recently, so I've been trying to dedicate some of it to Frihost in hopes to help pick it back up. Never been much of a poster, as you can tell I've only done 2300 posts in the 5 years I've been here.
deanhills
@Ghostrider. You and others are of course right about lack of posts that grab the attention. I notice the difference even over the last few months. I used to be able to do 80 plus points easily in one session, but am battling to get past 50 points. I'm doing right now something that I have not done before. Actually trying to generate posts for the sake of making more posts. Hoping that that would generate more posts from others as well. That is a different kind of posting for me.

The suggestion for the best thread in a month is an excellent one. Hopefully we could focus on the Sub-Forums where those threads are the most needed.
Ghost Rider103
Indeed, perhaps the contests could be weekly and be focused on specific forum categories? I.E., the best thread created in the next 7 days in the forums "Music" will receive x amount of coins? This will help target specific forums to help generate more activity all around the board.

For that matter, we could do a few at a time. Like Music and Sports in the same week.

On another note, we're still looking good to beat last months post count, but I don't think we'll beat it by much. But only time will tell.

On a long-term goal, I think we should shoot for a better yearly record than last years. We're getting close to the end of the year so it may be a bit difficult but I think it is definitely possible.

edit: just did the math, we need about 10,280 post to reach last years post count. That's roughly about 130 post per day to achieve last years count.

We're currently (this month) doing about 141 post per day. If we stay at that rate, that's only 10434. So we may get ahead of last years, but not by much. I'd say our goal should be to hit 11,000 posts from today till 2012. It might be a long shot, but I think it's possible and would be a big step in recovering.

One thing I think would help big time is if Bondings were to create that official meter to the actual 1 millionth post mark. We have 1,000,000 articles, however I don't think we've actually hit it yet if you minus all the bad/spam posts that we have.

I'm going to have to bug him about this Very Happy
deanhills
Completely agreed with all of the above. Really wish that Bondings could reset the post meter as well. Perhaps he would need a special coding for that though as he probably has to do it in a way that would exclude current spam canned posts as well? Problem is of course if we wait too long, by the time he does get to it, we would have passed the next million posts!
Very Happy
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Really wish that Bondings could reset the post meter as well.

Why?
Ghost Rider103
I think what he means is reset it to where the spam posts aren't counted.

We haven't officially hit the 1million post mark if you minus all the spam post.
ankitdatashn
Ankhanu wrote:
I really don't think number of posts is a big deal, as long as the discussions that ARE happening are good. Lots of filler posts really doesn't help much, though.

Yeah, thats the spirit, quality should always be over quantity, I wasn't knowing my staying away from Frihost in September has impacted it so badly!! Very Happy haha

I guess the reason for decline can be that the discussions stretch to an extent that sometimes same things get repeated again and again!, also that some volatility is always present because of seasonal factors, and with other engagements like Facebook, google plus, the interest decrease in understandable. I personally feel that Frihost can bring some new features as well...
Ghost Rider103
ankitdatashn wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

I guess the reason for decline can be that the discussions stretch to an extent that sometimes same things get repeated again and again!, also that some volatility is always present because of seasonal factors, and with other engagements like Facebook, google plus, the interest decrease in understandable. I personally feel that Frihost can bring some new features as well...

Oh absolutely. I think we'll notice more of the older members (that haven't been on in a few months) to start popping back in. I usually am on Frihost more over the winter since it snows quite a bit here I'm indoor much more over the winter, which gives me more Frihost time.
deanhills
Can't believe it. Checked our post count and was certain there had to be a great improvement but we're barely touching 3,000 posts and only 10 days to the end of October.

2985 posts on 20 October 2011.

It was 6443 posts in October of last year.
Ghost Rider103
Oh yes, we won't come close to last years post count for this month.

But we are well on track to beating last months count, which was my own goal for Frihost.

Currently at 149 post per day. So we'll easily beat last months I think as long as we keep it up. Beating last years would have been a big accomplishment but that is a bit out of reach at this point.

I think all we can do at the moment is set up some mini goals for Frihost. Next months goal should be to beat this months count, then continue that trend as best we can, eventually getting back to where we should be.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Oh yes, we won't come close to last years post count for this month.

But we are well on track to beating last months count, which was my own goal for Frihost.

Currently at 149 post per day. So we'll easily beat last months I think as long as we keep it up. Beating last years would have been a big accomplishment but that is a bit out of reach at this point.

I think all we can do at the moment is set up some mini goals for Frihost. Next months goal should be to beat this months count, then continue that trend as best we can, eventually getting back to where we should be.

OK, I'll go with you on this one and compare with how we did last month instead of last year ....
loremar
deanhills wrote:
Can't believe it. Checked our post count and was certain there had to be a great improvement but we're barely touching 3,000 posts and only 10 days to the end of October.

For the past few days we're making 150 posts per day by average. So the predicted outcome for October will be around 4485 total posts or maybe within a range of 4300-4600, I think. Much better than previous two months.
Ghost Rider103
loremar wrote:
deanhills wrote:

For the past few days we're making 150 posts per day by average. So the predicted outcome for October will be around 4485 total posts or maybe within a range of 4300-4600, I think. Much better than previous two months.

Definitely! I think next month will be even better. I think activity is on the rise, I'm even noticing more of the old members coming back (seen Blackheart, who hasn't posted in nearly two years). Hammy also popped in the IRC last night, hopefully we can get him back on the forums as well.

I've been posting about Frihost on some of the development websites I go on as well. Specifically, someone was asking for a cheap host for a test server. I referred him to Frihost, since I use Frihost for my testing server as well. Works perfect for that.

Edit: Now that I look again, we're now making about 150 post per day on average. So if we keep at it, we could definitely hit 5k posts this month. That is a big step compared to last month!
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Definitely! I think next month will be even better. I think activity is on the rise, I'm even noticing more of the old members coming back (seen Blackheart, who hasn't posted in nearly two years). Hammy also popped in the IRC last night, hopefully we can get him back on the forums as well.
Awesome to hear about Blackheart and Hammy. Blackheart departed from the Board a few months after I started. Ditto Hammy. I really enjoyed their posts.

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I've been posting about Frihost on some of the development websites I go on as well. Specifically, someone was asking for a cheap host for a test server. I referred him to Frihost, since I use Frihost for my testing server as well. Works perfect for that.
Great stuff! Wish IceCreamTruck could do that too. Looks as though he is as swamped at work as you are and probably not as aware of our posting numbers that had gone down as much.

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Edit: Now that I look again, we're now making about 150 post per day on average. So if we keep at it, we could definitely hit 5k posts this month. That is a big step compared to last month!
Would be awesome if we could get to 5k. I have a feeling though it may be more in the range of Loremar's 4300-4600.

Today is a good day however, this must be the longest I've spent in the General Chat Forum with plenty of posts to respond to.
Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Would be awesome if we could get to 5k. I have a feeling though it may be more in the range of Loremar's 4300-4600.

Today is a good day however, this must be the longest I've spent in the General Chat Forum with plenty of posts to respond to.
Very Happy

Maybe, but our daily post average for the month is definitely climbing. So there might actually be a small chance to actually reach the 5k post mark. If we do, free coins for everyone. Very Happy

Currently at about 155 post per day. That's a rough estimate, as I don't know exactly how many post we had at 12AM last night so I'm just guessing here. That's 4800 post at the end of the month.

If we keep that number climbing and keep creating threads to generate even more posts, I see no reason why we can't hit it. In fact, if we make about 250 post today to make up for the low numbers we had in some of the earlier days in the week I think we got it.

You can actually look at the daily stats for the month. I figured that out the other day.

edit: I was able to look at the daily stats and figure out our exact posting average for the month so far. Currently at 153 post per-day. That's just under 4700.

You can't tell me we can come that close to 5k and not have a chance at hitting the 5k mark. This is a very reachable goal now. Very Happy
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
You can actually look at the daily stats for the month. I figured that out the other day.
Is that accessible for non-staff too? As would love to look at it. I love anything to do with stats! Very Happy

Oops! Found it - it's all there in the URL that Bondings provided us for the monthly stats:
http://www.frihost.com/search/post_statistics.php?groupby=day
standready
deanhills wrote:

Remember last year, the 'coins' were just coming into play and many were excited and rushing to get a 'free domain'. I wonder how Bondings has granted?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

Oops! Found it - it's all there in the URL that Bondings provided us for the monthly stats:

I was just looking at those stats, and actually noticed that I had been reading it backwards the whole time... The most recent bars are on the left, with the oldest on the right (the reverse of the way graphs with a time axis usually orient it.)
Didn't realize that until I looked at the numbers below and matched them to bars on the graph...

Where I had thought the graph showed a recent and catestrophic loss of posts, it actually shows a quick increase (2005) to a very high level (2006), then a steady decline (2007-2008), then leveling off into a steady, extremely slow decline (2008-2011).

Where I had thought that something horrible must have happened and our post count suddenly dropped off, it looks like the problem isn't quite that urgent, actually. A big problem, yes, but not the urgent crisis I thought it was.

Was anybody else also reading the graph backwards like that?
(It would really help if the X axis was labeled, especially given how it is backwards compared to the usual way of setting up time-based graphs.)
Ghost Rider103
The steady decrease in posts is actually quite a big problem.

Frihost is trending down, ultimately it will be totally dead if things don't start trending upwards. I've seen this kind of downfall before on many other forums I've been apart of. No forum I've been on has lasted as long as Frihost. They all die off within 2 or three years usually.

So judging by the statistics, things are looking very bad, considering the trend.

As for other people viewing the graph wrong, yes, some people in the IRC chat were a bit confused as well when they first looked at the graph, so you aren't the only one.
loremar
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I was just looking at those stats, and actually noticed that I had been reading it backwards the whole time... The most recent bars are on the left, with the oldest on the right (the reverse of the way graphs with a time axis usually orient it.)
Didn't realize that until I looked at the numbers below and matched them to bars on the graph...

Where I had thought the graph showed a recent and catestrophic loss of posts, it actually shows a quick increase (2005) to a very high level (2006), then a steady decline (2007-2008), then leveling off into a steady, extremely slow decline (2008-2011).

Where I had thought that something horrible must have happened and our post count suddenly dropped off, it looks like the problem isn't quite that urgent, actually. A big problem, yes, but not the urgent crisis I thought it was.

Was anybody else also reading the graph backwards like that?
(It would really help if the X axis was labeled, especially given how it is backwards compared to the usual way of setting up time-based graphs.)

I also had the same experience the first time I looked at the stats. What could have increased the posts in 2006, could it be spams? not sure, probably it was the year where lots of new members joined. But from the looks of the stats, unless we can do something about it, it seems Frihost is slowly dying. Not that I'm not being optimistic, but stats don't lie. And the bad thing about slow processes is that, soemtimes they're quite irreversible. Unless there's major update in Frihost, then stats progress would probably stay this way
Ghost Rider103
@loremar: That's exactly my point about Frihost slowly dying. This is why I'm increasing my activity as much as possible. I'm trying to keep discussions going. Just a post can generate a new member, which can lead to more posts, which is a long trend.

Frihost I think had a bit more advertisement back in it's early years, so that is probably what causes the big difference. I don't think there is too much advertising going on anymore. Though perhaps there is and it just isn't working like it's used to. I'm not really in a position to comment on what Bondings is doing for marketing as I don't have a clue.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
@loremar: That's exactly my point about Frihost slowly dying. This is why I'm increasing my activity as much as possible. I'm trying to keep discussions going. Just a post can generate a new member, which can lead to more posts, which is a long trend.
That is so true. One post can make a big difference. It is definitely working. Cool
Ghost Rider103
Oh yes! We're only a few more posts away from beating yesterday's count. Oh how I love daily goals at frihost now Very Happy hey theres an idea, daily goals for more coins! Although if we want a new design we better hold off on that one. And a few other hundred ideas on the to do list.

Sorry for the bad grammar. On the iPhone.
deanhills
This is fun. I'm convinced now that quite a bulk of the posts must be coming from the US. It's the end of Saturday in the Middle East, parts of Europe right down to Australia. And we're only at 35 posts according to the Stats. So when it gets midnight over here in four hours time, people in the UK will be doing some posting, and a little after that the guys in the US start to wake up on the East Coast, etc. etc.

I LOVE stats!!!!! Dancing
deanhills
Was worried, as this morning when I was posting (thinking it was well and truly Saturday everywhere), there were only 85 posts and I thought that had been it. But now notice Saturday must have still been going strong as it finally ended at 146. Not the greatest, but much better than 85!

We're only at 40 now. Hope there will be plenty of activity while I'm sleeping .... Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
Yeah I'd think the weekend would have a lower post count normally.

I've slacked some this weekend myself.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Yeah I'd think the weekend would have a lower post count normally.

I've slacked some this weekend myself.
Great news! Still plenty of posts to go and we're already at 155. Whoever contributed, right on!
Ghost Rider103
Wow I'm impressed by today's amount of posts. I thought it got off a bit slow this morning.

Yesterday was a real slow day for posting numbers! Lets try to make up for yesterday. Smile
deanhills
Really miss IceCreamTruck with his spam thread!
Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
Did you say spam?

Be careful, I'm currently on spam control. My ban finger has been twitching lately. Very Happy
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Did you say spam?

Be careful, I'm currently on spam control. My ban finger has been twitching lately. Very Happy
Laughing I should dig it up somewhere and see whether I can find some nice pony art. Think I will do that in the morning Idea

Also, maybe I should PM IceCreamTruck and see whether he responds! Hehe .... Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
I hated that topic.

The only reason I didn't close it was because we had moderators, *cough* Ocalhoun *cough* taking place in the infected spam area.

Maybe if I see the topic again I can just issue AWITS to everyone that has taken part in that topic. I should also talk to Bondings about maybe giving me a "Ban Everyone in Thread" button. This would cut down on some work. Very Happy

Kidding of course.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I hated that topic.

The only reason I didn't close it was because we had moderators, *cough* Ocalhoun *cough* taking place in the infected spam area.

Maybe if I see the topic again I can just issue AWITS to everyone that has taken part in that topic. I should also talk to Bondings about maybe giving me a "Ban Everyone in Thread" button. This would cut down on some work. Very Happy

Kidding of course.
Haha ..... just noticed it's not a spam thread but a hijack thread .... Angel

OK .... done my duty, now for writing to ICT ...
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Who, me?

Nah, must have been somepony else.
Quote:

Maybe if I see the topic again I can just issue AWITS to everyone that has taken part in that topic.

Aw, anyway, I actually kinda enjoyed that topic. It's general chat... standards here are kinda low anyway, so why not have a little fun every once in a while and have some pure randomness.
...And while the thread may have been spam by some definitions, I'm sure most of the people who participated in it enjoyed it, and were posting there just for the fun of it, not to run up points or advertise.
Ghost Rider103
What is all this ponyness going on around the forums anyways?

Today has been the most active day on frihost in a long time. We might even hit 300 posts before the day ends. That is quite impressive! Definitely making up for yesterday Very Happy
Ankhanu
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-126325.html
This may clear things up.
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

That would be mostly my fault I guess...

I've been replacing my emotes ( Very Happy ) with ponified versions () for a while now.
(Made easy to use by the use of a firefox addon that lets me paste in the bb code for them with two clicks.)

The ponified versions are made by yours truly, by taking screen captures from the show.

I'm on episode 11 out of 30 total so far*, taking all the good emotes I can find in them. (So far I have 147 ^.^)
When I finish with season 1, I'll probably make the whole set available to other bronies.

...So, now when I use an emoticon, I usually have a pony version. I don't know how everybody else thinks about them, but I enjoy using them. They're so much more expressive than normal emotes, and they're magical, cute, colorful ponies!

*Is it weird that I knew that season 1 had 26 episodes and that season 2 has 4 episodes so far without even thinking about it? I might be a little obsessed.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:

I've been replacing my emotes ( Very Happy ) with ponified versions () for a while now.
(Made easy to use by the use of a firefox addon that lets me paste in the bb code for them with two clicks.)

The ponified versions are made by yours truly, by taking screen captures from the show.
I'm really enjoying those Ocalhoun. THANK YOU! So hope you will keep them up.

Are we into a new season yet?

Very Happy
kta_fh
Checking the yearly stats:

• 2011: 49335 so far
• 2010: 58452

and extrapolating assuming steady daily posting rate and with 297 days gone so far out of 365 days (using coefficient 1,2289) we might be having about 60630 posts this year, which is a 3.7% increase Smile

On the other hand, not reaching 2010 postings would require that the remaining days this year see only 134 or less daily postings instead of 166 (average this year so far).

Don't worry, be happy! Very Happy
deanhills
kta_fh wrote:
I just love statistics, especially when they are presented this way. You should get special brownie points for the post .... Very Happy

Difficult to see us posting under 150 posts worst case scenario. So this is REALLY great news!
Dancing
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

Are we into a new season yet?

Very Happy

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-130237.html#1056040

deanhills wrote:
kta_fh wrote:
I just love statistics, especially when they are presented this way. You should get special brownie points for the post .... Very Happy

Difficult to see us posting under 150 posts worst case scenario. So this is REALLY great news!
Dancing

Posting might slow down for the end of year holidays.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Posting might slow down for the end of year holidays.
Good point. Hope we may have some events and featured discussions up and running by then. Could be a good time for a competition for making the most posts (staff and Elite Frihosters excluded of course).
Very Happy
Hello_World
It's be great to see maybe a competition where you create a tutorial about some aspect of making webpages!

Since most people came here in the first place to get a free webpage, most people would have some knowledge of making webpages and it would also be a great resource for new people here to help and discuss...
deanhills
Hello_World wrote:
It's be great to see maybe a competition where you create a tutorial about some aspect of making webpages!

Since most people came here in the first place to get a free webpage, most people would have some knowledge of making webpages and it would also be a great resource for new people here to help and discuss...
Agreed. I've seen so many enquiries by people who have newly joined about how to start a Web page. There are of course plenty of tutorials available on the Web, however, maybe the competition could focus on the shortest and most succinct tutorial with specific reference to a Frihost Website. So that it might include how to get into cPanel, how to set up a file transfer system, how to use Note Pad++ and a browser for an editor - etc. etc.
Very Happy
kitsrock
I also plan on being somewhat active now that my life isn't so hectic anymore. Also, those MLP emoticons are just... awesome!
deanhills
kitsrock wrote:
I also plan on being somewhat active now that my life isn't so hectic anymore. Also, those MLP emoticons are just... awesome!
Great to hear you will be posting regularly. We seem to be contemporaries of sorts. I started a month after you with Frihost!
Dancing

I noticed the sad note about the passing of your Websites in the footer of your post. Have you brought this to the attention of the Support Forum? Have you checked whether they are working again, as Server 4 has been down for a day or more, but seems to be working perfectly again. Refer thread below in Support Forum. Ocalhoun is trying to check whether everyone's data is intact and this may be an opportunity to check your Website situation out with the Staff.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-130203-2.html

Also, you may be able to reset your points to zero, particularly if you are planning to be active again and want to ensure the health of your Websites. You can ask for a reset of your points in the Support Forum as well.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vf-72.html
Very Happy
Josso
I think we need (well, not need but lets do it anyway) to think up a promotional scheme to draw more traffic and users to the forums - we can use the referer links as well for a little bit of extra incentive for going out the way. Even if each and every one of us just went out and got Frihost listed on a hosting directory that it wasn't on before or say wrote a review on one of those directory type sites I think it would make a big difference.
deanhills
Josso wrote:
I think we need (well, not need but lets do it anyway) to think up a promotional scheme to draw more traffic and users to the forums - we can use the referer links as well for a little bit of extra incentive for going out the way. Even if each and every one of us just went out and got Frihost listed on a hosting directory that it wasn't on before or say wrote a review on one of those directory type sites I think it would make a big difference.
Absolutely. FreeWebSpace would be a good start - refer discussion below:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-127514.html
Josso
deanhills wrote:
Josso wrote:
Absolutely. FreeWebSpace would be a good start - refer discussion below:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-127514.html

*voted again*

Currently on a mission... tried to get a submission rolling on a directory with a page rank of 7 but they wouldn't accept community-based hosting Evil or Very Mad
deanhills
Josso wrote:
*voted again*
Great. I should check whether I can vote again too. Very Happy

Josso wrote:
Currently on a mission... tried to get a submission rolling on a directory with a page rank of 7 but they wouldn't accept community-based hosting Evil or Very Mad
Sounds great. Ranking of 7 is quite awesome, sorry it did not work out this time round.
Ghost Rider103
Good to see the postings on the rise again. Hopefully we can keep this up, then I don't feel so obligated to post.

Seeing Bondings back on the forum was great as well. Hopefully some good motivation for some other users.

Almost hit 300 posts the other day. Very impressive. Razz
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Seeing Bondings back on the forum was great as well. Hopefully some good motivation for some other users.

That absolutely made my day yesterday! Dancing
Wonder whether he is doing it deliberately just to test whether we still like him .... hehe ..... Twisted Evil

I was thinking exactly along the same lines as you are. If the momentum could pick up again past Xmas and New Year and the posts could settle at a regular above 250 plus, then I'd like to knuckle back a little as well. It's great posting with you and all of the others who have made great contributions over the last few weeks. But we really need a variety of new members and new blood, so am hoping that fresh initiatives could be put into place and when that happens I can stand back a little and become a wise philosopher of sorts.
Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
Post count looks like it's going to trend down at the end of the month. We need to try to turn this around again. Keeping at around 200 posts per day should be the ultimate goal.

But good news is we already passed up last months post count. Now to attempt to reach 5k posts. Very Happy
saratdear
I come back after a month and see a depressing topic like this? Razz

Sorry guys. I've stopped posting due to college taking over my life completely. However I'll try to post when I come home like this. Smile Not that I post much, but little things add up right? Smile
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
I come back after a month and see a depressing topic like this? Razz

Sorry guys. I've stopped posting due to college taking over my life completely. However I'll try to post when I come home like this. Smile Not that I post much, but little things add up right? Smile
Great to see you posting again Saratdear. Definitely missed you! How is college life with you?
Very Happy
saratdear
Going good deanhills. After a lot of deliberation, I finally chose Bachelor of Architecture. Doing that course in the best college in south India, so happy about that part. Smile Enjoying college life.
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
Going good deanhills. After a lot of deliberation, I finally chose Bachelor of Architecture. Doing that course in the best college in south India, so happy about that part. Smile Enjoying college life.
I remember the deliberations. Awesome you're studying architecture, and wish you well. Hope you will check in here from time to time and let us know how it is going. You'll probably note elsewhere Ocalhoun is due to start with mechanical engineering soon. Guess if you could get together eventually you would be able to build a very special rocket or something?
Very Happy
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Guess if you could get together eventually you would be able to build a very special rocket or something?

You come up with the strangest notions sometimes...

An architect might work on a rocket launch facility... but I've never heard of an architect working on an actual rocket... That would mostly be aeronautical/aerospace engineers (a specialized subset of mechanical engineers), avionics engineers (a specialized subset of electronic engineers) and specialized rocket scientists.

As for cooperation between the two fields, architects would likely work with civil engineers far more often than with mechanical engineers.
An architect might make a design, and a civil engineer would figure out how to make the design actually work physically... The civil engineer might also advise an architect about what can and can't be done, or about how things could be done more cheaply.
deanhills
I was thinking of a very special rocket where the interior decoration would be as per Saratdear's previous designs that he shared with us. I'd say rockets were products of mechanical engineering, and doing some interior decorating to it (obviously not real life) would have been something about architecture.

None of it was real. The two just seemed to have found their way into my head at the same time and I was thinking futuristic perhaps science fiction type design.
chasbeen
I do worry a bit about Frihost, I use it mainly for Free Hosting
I occasionally find it very funny when reading and contributing posts.
Bindings adds to the humour with additions like the FREE HOUSE.
Bindings, if your listening keep going.
I'm guessing you already have ideas to start getting Social media type followers but don't quite have enough time to enhance Frihost a little more.
I must comment on the speed of the server it is over twice as fast performing server work on the systems I write, compared to my paid service provider.
Excuse awful spelling IPOD
saratdear
ocalhoun wrote:
As for cooperation between the two fields, architects would likely work with civil engineers far more often than with mechanical engineers.
An architect might make a design, and a civil engineer would figure out how to make the design actually work physically... The civil engineer might also advise an architect about what can and can't be done, or about how things could be done more cheaply.

I'd like to confirm what he said..

Architects design, civil engineers implement. Not that they won't design the interiors of a rocket, I guess that would be rare. Razz

Thanks for your wishes. Very Happy
deanhills
You're most welcome Saratdear. Have you started on practical design yet, or is it theory only at this stage? Would love to see more of your designs when they are available.
Very Happy
Blaster
First off its hard to believe i've been here 5 years. So that means ~1000 posts a year. I put my fair time in.

Although for me the reason you don't see me post that much is that I'm just far too busy. I'm a college student who has way more going on when I started at 14. At that time I had no car, less friends, and less responsibility. Now I have work, school, and a bigger social life. Although I still have a website that I operate for my parents business so I still need to post here enough to try and not get my account deleted.

And lets face it free webhosts like this are starting to be a thing in the past. Its easier to get an account with google and make a simple ad-free website with them. There is no need to know HTML or php. No need to learn how to use a control panel like DirectAdmin or cPanel. And people seem to not care about spending a few bucks a month for someone else to manage their site.

This place was a fun place back when I was active. I don't know how it is now but I'm sure there are a few people here that were active when I was and could testify for that.
saratdear
deanhills wrote:
You're most welcome Saratdear. Have you started on practical design yet, or is it theory only at this stage? Would love to see more of your designs when they are available.
Very Happy

We are not going to start on actual architectural design on the first semester - design wise I have a subject called 'Basic Design', which is basically just abstract design ideas. How to create interesting compositions using shapes, etc. I had a pretty crazy exercise which finished just a week back. We had to select a 10 second piece of music, and create the composition by using shapes, colours etc which comes to our mind when listening to that. Razz
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
First off its hard to believe i've been here 5 years. So that means ~1000 posts a year. I put my fair time in.

Although for me the reason you don't see me post that much is that I'm just far too busy. I'm a college student who has way more going on when I started at 14. At that time I had no car, less friends, and less responsibility. Now I have work, school, and a bigger social life. Although I still have a website that I operate for my parents business so I still need to post here enough to try and not get my account deleted.

And lets face it free webhosts like this are starting to be a thing in the past. Its easier to get an account with google and make a simple ad-free website with them. There is no need to know HTML or php. No need to learn how to use a control panel like DirectAdmin or cPanel. And people seem to not care about spending a few bucks a month for someone else to manage their site.

This place was a fun place back when I was active. I don't know how it is now but I'm sure there are a few people here that were active when I was and could testify for that.
1000 posts per year, you're right, you've done your time. Why not ask in the Frihost Support Forum to have your points reset to ZERO? I'm sure Bondings is going to be really pleased to see you posting, and since he seems to be equally challenged with time, probably have plenty of understanding of your situation.
Very Happy
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
We had to select a 10 second piece of music, and create the composition by using shapes, colours etc which comes to our mind when listening to that. Razz

Wonder what you would design to this music?
Blaster
Dean I don't need my points set to 0. I don't know how active I'll be able to be. I'll try and move up to positive on my own. It shouldn't be that hard of a feat. And I'm sure Bondings does know how I feel considering he was a college student at one point too.
saratdear
deanhills wrote:
saratdear wrote:
We had to select a 10 second piece of music, and create the composition by using shapes, colours etc which comes to our mind when listening to that. Razz

Wonder what you would design to this music?

Our music piece had to be just instrumental - no vocals.

Also they gave the names of four composers - Beethoven, Frederic Chopin, Ravishankar, and...I guess I forgot the last one. I did a classical piece by Ravishankar. I think I must have listened to that piece a 100 times now. Rolling Eyes

But we go off-topic. Razz
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
But we go off-topic. Razz
Hehe .... at least we are adding posts. I'm intrigued no mention of Mozart however. I'm dead certain music can have an awesome affect on designing stuff, but of course it would have to be our own choice of music, i.e. Beethoven may create goose pimples for some, but not for everyone!

OK, we probably should open a topic about this elsewhere. Think it has some great possibilities.
Very Happy
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
Dean I don't need my points set to 0. I don't know how active I'll be able to be. I'll try and move up to positive on my own.

I'll put a note on your account... It isn't very likely, but it would be just terrible if it got deleted just as you were trying to get your points back to the positive.
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:
Blaster wrote:
Dean I don't need my points set to 0. I don't know how active I'll be able to be. I'll try and move up to positive on my own.

I'll put a note on your account... It isn't very likely, but it would be just terrible if it got deleted just as you were trying to get your points back to the positive.

If I keep going at the rate I'm going at I'll be out of the negatives in no time. I was at like 230 the other day and as of this post I am at -108.35... I'm thinking by the end of the weekend I'll be good.
Ghost Rider103
Yeah coming back from negative points really isn't all that difficult.

There was a time when I was in the -200's or so, way before we offered to do points resets and before I was a mod.

Took just a few days to come out of the negatives.
Blaster
I'm gonna see if I can get out of it by the time I go to bed tonight. Shouldn't be that hard of a feat... I've done more posts in a day that that before...
Ghost Rider103
You sure have been busy posting. You're quite close to getting out of the negatives already.

It's a big contribute to Frihost really. My main goal this month was to reach 5,000 posts. We have till the end of Monday, so I think it may actually be possible if things keep going the same way they have been lately.

Just around 500 post away from hitting my goal for the month. Would be amazing if we actually hit it.

It's been a good month for Frihost. Many old members have been coming back to contribute and posting numbers overall are on the rise.
Blaster
I have been posting quite a bit.. like I said trying to get out of them negatives.

Its good to see a bunch of old posters coming back I feel that we could make the 5000 posts mark. I'll do my best to help get it there. Maybe next month we can get it even higher.

I guess frihost is a lot like the economy... it goes down into a recession then it starts to make its way back up.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Blaster wrote:

If I keep going at the rate I'm going at I'll be out of the negatives in no time. I was at like 230 the other day and as of this post I am at -108.35... I'm thinking by the end of the weekend I'll be good.
Shows great integrity that you're insisting to do it yourself. And looks as though you only have about 50 to go now. Great stuff!
Razz
Radar
I do wonder exactly what happened at the point where it started turning downward. Something on Frihost, something elsewhere on the web, something in physical world...
Blaster
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Shows great integrity that you're insisting to do it yourself. And looks as though you only have about 50 to go now. Great stuff!
Razz

Yup I'm down to 50 left... Then I need to get it up to 45 for old times sake.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
You're talking my language for sure! We really have to celebrate when you get to 45 points.
Very Happy
Blaster
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
You're talking my language for sure! We really have to celebrate when you get to 45 points.
Very Happy

Party time... I can't wait will be a good time. I'm also trying to help get to Ghost's goal of 5000+ posts for october.
ocalhoun
Radar wrote:
I do wonder exactly what happened at the point where it started turning downward. Something on Frihost, something elsewhere on the web, something in physical world...

Way back in 2007, if I remember right without actually looking at the stats.
Peterssidan
ocalhoun wrote:
Radar wrote:

Way back in 2007, if I remember right without actually looking at the stats.

The search for "free hosting" has declined for a long time and it make sense if frihost follows the same curve.
deanhills
Interesting graph Peterssidan. As you know I've been posting at FreeWebSpace.net - not regularly - but have learned quite a bit from the Website Hosts who are posting there. They are mostly of the paid Website host variety and said that their businesses are down as people are perfectly able to find very good quality free Website space everywhere. I'm confident that your graph is correct but wonder whether people are actually getting their own servers or maybe there is another way people are getting Free Website space that may not be represented in the graph?
Peterssidan
That was just one specific search term so it could be that people use different search terms today, or they don't need to search as much because it is easier to find.

I think most people is satisfied with simpler solutions, even if they show ads and give less freedom. If they want a blog they use wordpress or some other free blog service. If they have an open source project there are plenty of alternatives that gives revision control, wiki, forum and other useful things at one place.
ocalhoun
That could be a big reason there, I suppose...

If interest in free webhosting as a whole is declining, then to sit and compete for a greater share of a dwindling market is not a good strategy.

It may be worthwhile to expand into other areas... The free domain name; that's one good way things were already expanded... perhaps other things could be added as well...

Hm... there's all sorts of other things that could be sold for coins or points.
A whole marketplace could be made, much like any other online store, but with items for sale in coins rather than dollars... Coins could be used for any one-time purchase, while points could be used for any on-going service... which means it could eventually migrate to web hosting being just another one of the things that can be bought in that marketplace.

And Bondings' idea of adding online games where coins could be both spent and earned... that's another good idea to expand out of the reducing web hosting market.

Using the contests to their full potential might add yet another way to redefine the site. -- Especially if there were more things that could be bought with coins.

Now, some of those would be some really drastic changes... but I think it would be good to have a vision for the future like that... especially if it is true that the market for free web hosting is declining.
Blaster
Like i said google makes it really easy to make websites for simple things. People that actually want to learn html and be creative still need free webhosts but people just looking for a business website... this is easier..
Peterssidan
I found this and I'm now I'm a bit uncertain.
Google wrote:
The numbers on the graph reflect how many searches have been done for a particular term, relative to the total number of searches done on Google over time. They don't represent absolute search volume numbers, because the data is normalized and presented on a scale from 0-100. Each point on the graph is divided by the highest point, or 100. When we don't have enough data, 0 is shown. The numbers next to the search terms above the graph are summaries, or totals.

Can we not say for sure that the number of searches for "free hosting" has decreased? Could it be that it's just that the search term is a smaller percent of the total search volume. Sorry if I cause confusion Confused
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:

Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Very Happy

So what are your feelings on the situation now, Dean? Very Happy

I think it is going to be a close race to the 5k mark, but I think we're going to hit it!
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Very Happy

So what are your feelings on the situation now, Dean? Very Happy

I think it is going to be a close race to the 5k mark, but I think we're going to hit it!
I'm almost certain we're going to make it. Think Blaster helped us a lot. I had a marathon session yesterday thanks to him. Great poster!

Did you see Hammy lurking around too? Did you write to all of them? Great to see him around although he has not posted yet.
Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
I had been talking to Hammy on MSN, actually I usually do have a conversation with him every once in a while, I never lost contact with him.

But yes recently I bugged him to get into the IRC channel and to try to make some posts on Frihost.

I had a talk with gurdiT too, particularly for help with the big porn poster we had the other day. Was his first time back in quite some time. For a good cause too. Very Happy
Blaster
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I had been talking to Hammy on MSN, actually I usually do have a conversation with him every once in a while, I never lost contact with him.

But yes recently I bugged him to get into the IRC channel and to try to make some posts on Frihost.

I had a talk with gurdiT too, particularly for help with the big porn poster we had the other day. Was his first time back in quite some time. For a good cause too. Very Happy

I sent a pm to gurdit and he didn't answer me. I havn't talked to him in quite some time was hoping he would answer me. And Dean Ghost paid me to come and help make it.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
And Dean Ghost paid me to come and help make it.
What did he pay you?
Angel
Blaster
Thats between me and him... BTW 5000 was reached
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Thats between me and him... BTW 5000 was reached
You're right of course, but I'm really happy that we know about it. Ghost Rider has done lots of magic over the last few months and Frihost owes a lot of gratitude to him. Think I should make a special graphic tonight for thanking him. With no ponies in it of course .... hehe
Laughing
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
What did he pay you?
Angel

I had no contact with Blaster until he appeared back on Frihost. Every word has also been public. Razz

Looks like we are well on our way to 200 posts today already. The number for the daily post count is higher than usual already.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:
What did he pay you?
Angel

I had no contact with Blaster until he appeared back on Frihost. Every word has also been public. Razz

Looks like we are well on our way to 200 posts today already. The number for the daily post count is higher than usual already.
Alas .... looks as though we did not make 200 yesterday. Yesterday was 187 posts, the day before however 290 posts.

Apologies for having been so nosy. Probably a mixture of admiration and curiosity. Thumbs up for all your hard work Ghost Rider!
Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
Yesterday was the 31st.

The 200 post per day goal starts today, the 1st. of the month.

Though posting seems to have slowed down some since this morning. Hopefully it will pick up tonight.
Ankhanu
We'll finish this month with a hefty 6k post count, and a hefty, sexy mustache!
Blaster
This month starts today so I hope you are right. Lets go for 1500 posts a week and we should be on track
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
I'm sure there has to be a correlation here but just can't figure it out? What is it?
Very Happy
Peterssidan
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
I'm sure there has to be a correlation here but just can't figure it out? What is it?
In Swedish sex is used for both 6 and sex so I can see a correlation. Very Happy
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
In Swedish sex is used for both 6 and sex so I can see a correlation. Very Happy

Thanks Peterssidan ..... Very Happy
deanhills
Darn .... number of posts are going down again ....

Quote:
Sat 12 November 2011: 125
Fri 11 November 2011: 156
Thu 10 November 2011: 163
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Darn .... number of posts are going down again ....

Quote:
Sat 12 November 2011: 125
Fri 11 November 2011: 156
Thu 10 November 2011: 163

Yeah... I don't think any 'grassroots' push for more posts will have permanent success.
As we've seen, it can cause a temporary bump in the numbers... but people can't maintain such enthusiasm forever.

To have a real, lasting improvement on post count, something needs to be done to attract more new members or to entice existing members to post more.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
To have a real, lasting improvement on post count, something needs to be done to attract more new members or to entice existing members to post more.
Exactly. Sort of frustrating however, as I love to post. I can only post if others post as well.
Ghost Rider103
I am bumping this thread to raise awareness that we might not beat last months post score.

I see this as a slight decrease in activity which is never a good sign, even on a small scale.

I feel somewhat responsible as I have not been nearly as active this month as I have last month. So I'm going to make an effort to try extremely hard to beat the last month post score.

I ask all frihosters do exactly the same. The more we post, the more others post and the more frihosters will contine to recover.

There isn't much time left. So let's get to work! Very Happy
truespeed
October 2011: 5081
November 2011: 4968

November down on octobers total,still it wasn't a bad month,frihost only needs 2900 (approx) in december to beat last years total for the year.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I feel somewhat responsible as I have not been nearly as active this month as I have last month. So I'm going to make an effort to try extremely hard to beat the last month post score.
I don't agree. For someone who does not make a large number of posts as a rule, you are doing great. And if you add the number of posts of the golden oldies who are posting again, that also makes it pretty significant. The fact that you bumped this thread speaks volumes as well! Stuff like this makes me happy! Cool
Peterssidan
Remember last month had an extra day. If today was 31 November I'm sure we could have made 113 posts today to reach last month's result.
Ghost Rider103
Peterssidan wrote:
Remember last month had an extra day. If today was 31 November I'm sure we could have made 113 posts today to reach last month's result.

Yeah, I know. But if we just hit about the same number of posts in the same amount of days then we aren't improving.

We came sort of close to beating the record so it wasn't that bad. Perhaps we can do better this month.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
But if we just hit about the same number of posts in the same amount of days then we aren't improving.
Another concern is that new members don't stay after their first number of posts. Those who do make a few posts, just disappear eventually. There were 1249 new registrations in November and 1181 new registrations in October. Very few of those made posts, and those that did get past 5 posts, eventually stopped posting. I wonder how many actually applied and received Website space?
Ghost Rider103
Probably a lot.

However a lot of those users are spam bots and people just coming to spam advertisements around the forums.

Hard to tell how many of them are real potential frihosters.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Probably the ones who passed the 5-post mark. There were a few of those. But yes, good point about the spam bots, as of course those don't get deleted. Or banned.
Ankhanu
Aye, there are very few new registrants who stick around... but that doesn't appear to be a new thing at all.
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Probably the ones who passed the 5-post mark. There were a few of those. But yes, good point about the spam bots, as of course those don't get deleted. Or banned.

Actually, as of now I think ever spam bot has been banned.

Before we sometimes had problems banning spam bots... Well I won't get into detail about why we had trouble banning some as it could spring ideas to spammers.

However, we've since pretty much fixed the banning issue a few days ago. Now nearly all the spammers are easily able to receieve a ban. It was pretty easy before, but now we can pretty much ban any spammer we come across.

The open awit list was huge. Yesterday I went on a large ban spree and knocked out probably 20 awits having to do with spammers.

It's not uncommon for me to make at least 5 bans a day. Even a few weeks ago before one of the issue was recently fixed, I pretty much always banned a few a day.

I wonder if I can get a count of how many users I've banned. I'll bet it's high. Twisted Evil
ocalhoun
Sorry to be a downer... But I really don't think it can be revived in the long term by just having a 'lets post more' attitude...

Advertising, updates, broadening the appeal... that's what will get a permanent increase.

(Especially that first one... I'm a big believer in the power of advertising now. $75 in adwords has gotten my brand new little forum up to 20% of Frihost's monthly post count in the first month!
...Throwing a few ads out there for Frihost could probably also get great results.)
Ghost Rider103
Yes you could be right. However more activity on frihost from the normal users can catch a few new use attention and it can defintely have an impact in the long run if everyone continues to participate.

Adwords does wonders. I'm not sure if Steve is even advertising, if he isnt then be should definitely drop some money into Adwords if he can.

Though he would need to be prepared to handle an increase... Which at the time I don't think he's able to. Not only free domain wise but also taking care of othe needed things on the forums. If any changes do happen which have the potential to increase activity by a decent amount, another admin will need to be added or an older admin would need to come back.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Sorry to be a downer... But I really don't think it can be revived in the long term by just having a 'lets post more' attitude...
I don't agree. "Let's post more" suggests energy, motivation and a mission. Every single post counts, including a discussion in this thread about more posts. And your comment on it.

Check out the number of posts in September when Ghost Rider started with his mission and we're really going strong in comparison:

November 2011: 4953
October 2011: 5081
September 2011: 3742

GhostRider is right about new members and services that have to be available first. Hopefully you guys can take that up with Bondings.
Ankhanu
I think ocalhoun is thinking long term, while most of the content of this thread has been short term. Both ideas are relevant and correct... just not in isolation. Trends over a couple months are virtually meaningless in the larger context.

We need the post more activity... it is the bread and butter of an active forum. Even without recruitment, Dean's right. We need more activity to generate activity (it's one of those catch 22 deals). Without the content and activity, the existing users aren't going to participate (hard to participate in something that's not active, right?). When we factor recruitment in, it's still important. A board with active contribution from its members is generally more appealing to a new recruit than one that's essentially a repository of historic content with no continued activity. Active posting is appealing to new members.

That said, that sort of can do can only go so far without the broader picture, longer term recruitment/administrative actions that ocalhoun is talking about. The post more efforts are doomed to fizzle out over time without a concerted effort to find and acquire new blood, new opinions, new perspectives... to keep the site and forum up to date, etc. Like it or not, even if we're successful with our efforts to simply post more, we will tire over time... then what? We end up right back where we were when this thread was prompted.

Both need to happen for long term stability and growth. So, while we're making efforts to post more, we still need administrative support if the effort is going to have lasting effect.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
I think ocalhoun is thinking long term, while most of the content of this thread has been short term. Both ideas are relevant and correct... just not in isolation. Trends over a couple months are virtually meaningless in the larger context.

We need the post more activity... it is the bread and butter of an active forum. Even without recruitment, Dean's right. We need more activity to generate activity (it's one of those catch 22 deals). Without the content and activity, the existing users aren't going to participate (hard to participate in something that's not active, right?). When we factor recruitment in, it's still important. A board with active contribution from its members is generally more appealing to a new recruit than one that's essentially a repository of historic content with no continued activity. Active posting is appealing to new members.

That said, that sort of can do can only go so far without the broader picture, longer term recruitment/administrative actions that ocalhoun is talking about. The post more efforts are doomed to fizzle out over time without a concerted effort to find and acquire new blood, new opinions, new perspectives... to keep the site and forum up to date, etc. Like it or not, even if we're successful with our efforts to simply post more, we will tire over time... then what? We end up right back where we were when this thread was prompted.

Both need to happen for long term stability and growth. So, while we're making efforts to post more, we still need administrative support if the effort is going to have lasting effect.
An excellent post Ankhanu. The last paragraph in particular is right on. Furthermore, we need lots of energy at the top with plenty of initiatives for longevity. We may also have to accept that this is not an isolated situation. That some of the other Free Website hosts who started up in 2005/2006 may be going through the exact same situation.
Aredon
Hmm I'm not so sure about September being the revival month. Seems like you're more likely to see a post jump during winter break when a lot of students have their winter break. I know I've been fairly busy the last couple months. In fact... I had midterms in september. Shocked I doubt I would have had much time to dabble around frihost.

I don't know, I'd almost say that discussion boards just aren't as popular (or appealing) as they were only a few short years ago. I'd say the rise of reddit has been a major contributor to the abandoning of discussion boards by many of the denizens of the interwebz. I know that for me at least, it consumes a large portion of my free time. I suppose that causes us to arrive at the "not enough interesting content" complaint that's been posted in here a few times already. :S
deanhills
Aredon wrote:
Hmm I'm not so sure about September being the revival month. Seems like you're more likely to see a post jump during winter break when a lot of students have their winter break. I know I've been fairly busy the last couple months. In fact... I had midterms in september. Shocked I doubt I would have had much time to dabble around frihost.

I don't know, I'd almost say that discussion boards just aren't as popular (or appealing) as they were only a few short years ago. I'd say the rise of reddit has been a major contributor to the abandoning of discussion boards by many of the denizens of the interwebz. I know that for me at least, it consumes a large portion of my free time. I suppose that causes us to arrive at the "not enough interesting content" complaint that's been posted in here a few times already. :S
You're right about September. That was the lowest number of posts in many months.

Interesting comment about reddit.
alvarorojas4
I didin't know that Graph, and yeah september was soooo inactive... It seems that before the forum was very very active...
Blaster
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

Yeah, I know. But if we just hit about the same number of posts in the same amount of days then we aren't improving.

We came sort of close to beating the record so it wasn't that bad. Perhaps we can do better this month.

This was also a holiday month (at least in the US) which could slow things down. It did for me. I was more worried about Thanksgiving and such. Same will be true about this month. Although the post count is still slowly rising.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

This was also a holiday month (at least in the US) which could slow things down. It did for me. I was more worried about Thanksgiving and such. Same will be true about this month. Although the post count is still slowly rising.
Right! I'm hoping the opposite to happen, i.e. that people may have more time available to post ....
Ghost Rider103
It could go either way really.

Though when it gets a bit closer to Christmas, I probably won't have very much time to get on and post. Though up until the week of Christmas I should have a bit of extra time to hopefully make up for my absence over the holiday.

We've managed to nail over 200 posts both yesterday and the day before. Those are some very promising daily post count numbers.

Really though, I just want to make sure we beat last years yearly post count (which I'm 99% sure that we will). After that, perhaps then we can take it one month at a time to continue raising post count. Hopefully Bondings will come around more in 2012 as well. Without him, Frihost will die.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Really though, I just want to make sure we beat last years yearly post count (which I'm 99% sure that we will). After that, perhaps then we can take it one month at a time to continue raising post count. Hopefully Bondings will come around more in 2012 as well. Without him, Frihost will die.
Well at least the servers are very much alive and kicking. I guess we could call them the soul of Bondings. The rest is probably just yackety yack sessions, however valuable ones for generating revenue from ads to pay for the servers. We seem to be doing OK with it for now, thanks to a lot of your efforts and of course all of the other regular posters.
Blaster
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
It could go either way really.

Though when it gets a bit closer to Christmas, I probably won't have very much time to get on and post. Though up until the week of Christmas I should have a bit of extra time to hopefully make up for my absence over the holiday.

We've managed to nail over 200 posts both yesterday and the day before. Those are some very promising daily post count numbers.

I agree. Starting Christmas Eve its all family time. I usually have several parties to attend from christmas eve until New Years day. Not to mention I will have new "toys" to mess around with.
Blaster
we had a higher post count yesterday. Hopefully we will keep this up. Also bondings is lurking today.
deanhills
I was seriously worried last night when there was a Database Error, and then this morning Frihost was down for a number of hours. Then when it came on again, AND I noticed Bondings' posts, that really was a great relief and lift of the spirits. Just hope we did not lose too many posts while Frihost was down. Also Bondings in the Support Forum mentioned there were issues with Server 2. Problem being it's an intermittent problem that is not easy to track. Today was great posting however and I did not feel a drag as I had in the days leading up to the crash of Server 2. So things are looking on the up and up. Very Happy
foumy6
I think posting has increased and it has been quite a bit lately, and it has been nice because the forums have not been filled with the same topics every time I check so there are actually new topics to read and discuss.
truespeed
Frihost should beat last years total by tomorrow.

deanhills
I noticed that too. Sort of the averages sorting things out. Very Happy
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Frihost should beat last years total by tomorrow.

Looks as though we've very quietly passed that mark over the last day:
Quote:
2011: 58620
2010: 58440
2009: 86285
2008: 116856
2007: 184003
2006: 323884
2005: 124002

Source: http://www.frihost.com/search/post_statistics.php

Wonder whether we would be able to make 60,000 posts before the end of the year? Not that I'm complaining about where we are right now. Bondings is back, tidruG is trying his best to help with the admin and Ghost Rider deserves kudos and a medal for all his efforts to get the Golden Oldies to post again. Thanks to the efforts of Ghost Rider, we've got a Hammy Interesting Thread of Interesting Featured Thread going with some tremendous posts, Vanilla and Blaster posting on a regular basis .....
Peterssidan
deanhills wrote:
Wonder whether we would be able to make 60,000 posts before the end of the year?
We only have to post about 100 posts per day to reach 60,000 posts so it doesn't sounds difficult at all, but I don't know how much Christmas will affect posting.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Wonder whether we would be able to make 60,000 posts before the end of the year?
We only have to post about 100 posts per day to reach 60,000 posts so it doesn't sounds difficult at all, but I don't know how much Christmas will affect posting.
Hopefully there will be people who have not posted as much who will have more time to post then, and that could balance out those who may not be posting as much as they had before because they are otherwise occupied with Xmas. That is my wish anyway! But does not really matter. I'm very happy with things the way they are right now. That post of Bondings in the Hobby Website completely blew me away. Everything went on the up and up after that. Hopefully it will keep that way. Very Happy
Everlight
It's nice to see Frihost being more active and more people joining to post and be a member of our Community! Very Happy
deanhills
Great news! Looks as though we're going to beat the number of posts last year and we are well on our way towards breaking through 60,000 - in the next few hours?

2011: 59910
2010: 58438

Where is GhostRider? He's been working since September to get the numbers going with great success! I'm sure he'll be pleased with how things are going. I definitely am. Cool
Asap170
Part of the up in posts is from me! It's been some busy days and I am here alive and ready to help other people with issues one step at a time.

Also, I am on break so no school work for awhile which gives me plenty of time for Frihost.
deanhills
Ha! We're at 59,967 for the year. 33 more to go to 60,000. Maybe by lunch time? Very Happy
standready
Well, I have kicked a few post her and there. I find a few of the limited amount of ads interesting enough to click so that might help as well.
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Where is GhostRider? He's been working since September to get the numbers going with great success! I'm sure he'll be pleased with how things are going. I definitely am. Cool

Oh I'm still here. Very Happy

Don't have much time to post, been very busy lately with the holidays and all so haven't been on too much.

But I've been checking in from my cell usually at least once a day to see how things are going.

Should be back into my normal daily posting after the new year.
\
Things have definitely been improving though. Let's hope it can continue to improve!
Asap170
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
But I've been checking in from my cell usually at least once a day to see how things are going.

It's a forum...there are slow days and insane days how does one check to see how things are?
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Oh I'm still here. Very Happy

Don't have much time to post, been very busy lately with the holidays and all so haven't been on too much.

Should be back into my normal daily posting after the new year.
\
Things have definitely been improving though. Let's hope it can continue to improve!
Awesome! Someone with a life. *grin* This morning 60227 posts for the year. Don't know whether we're going to make it to 5000 for the month. These are the stats from August to date on a month by month basis:

Quote:
December 2011: 4763
November 2011: 4929
October 2011: 5055
September 2011: 3737
August 2011: 4312

The list of great things that have happened over the last few weeks is growing. Think I won't list it as I may just leave something truly great out. Needless to say all of a sudden the number of posts have become a bonus more than a necessity. Now if Ocalhoun can surface where he is. Probably unplugged everything and is en route to his new home in Washington State with horse in trailer:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1053065.html#1053065

I can only imagine an enormous load that has to be transported including his fabulous survival kit for starters and Jay:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-121055.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-113933.html
chasbeen
I would like to contribute some more, but in a different way. If Bondings gets his head around others helping out then there is no reason why Frihost cannot evolve.
We saw an equivalent setup fall by the wayside recently because it started later than Frihost probably.
Frihost should be moving towards the functionality of bigger more modern social media sites....
GuidanceReader
I really hope that frihost doesn't disappear. I just found this wonderful place and it is giving me much optimism and excitement in being able to host my own website. I love being a member of forums, so truly consider the forums an added bonus.

Anything I can do to help keep frihost alive, I will. I've put up links on my FB page. I am going to put links on my website too... I definitely want to help the provider that has helped me get off the ground!
Ghost Rider103
Asap170 wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

It's a forum...there are slow days and insane days how does one check to see how things are?

Well you must not be too familiar with reading statistics.

If you look at the stats page, switch it to the yearly view.

As you can see, there is a fairly steady decrease from 06 to 2010. This is a obvious downtrend, which by using simple logic you can base the future of frihost off I those stats. It appeared that frihost was on its way into being non-existent.

I noticed this trend, hence my actions over the past couple months. I had been talking to old members, attempting to get them back into frihost to help change the downtrend. I also referred a few of my personal friends generating some new members.

I of course don't think I saved frihost myself, and we're far from being out of the hole in my opinion. But I feel I put quite a dent in the process of changing the trend to upwards. We can only hope this continues.

Back to your question, the same logic can be used by viewing the daily stats.

If you take a look, over the past few days it's fallen a bit. However it usually starts picking back up around this time of the week.

Hopefully that covers it for you. If not, I'm certain dean could make you a picture. Laughing
deanhills
GuidanceReader wrote:
I really hope that frihost doesn't disappear. I just found this wonderful place and it is giving me much optimism and excitement in being able to host my own website. I love being a member of forums, so truly consider the forums an added bonus.

Anything I can do to help keep frihost alive, I will. I've put up links on my FB page. I am going to put links on my website too... I definitely want to help the provider that has helped me get off the ground!

Awesome. I don't think Frihost will disappear. Your contributions definitely are of the right kind to help things along. That makes it two relatively new members from Australia - hello_world making some awesome contributions too. I think Nameless is also from Australia. Real quality coming from that part of the world.

@GhostRider. I hope the trend has reversed itself a little. Although it may look a bit misleading. The increase in number of posts this year are due to all the free domain and competition initiatives of end of last year that lasted until May. And the year before was a bit of the same. The other way round. Started off poorly, and then in September 2010 took off with the new initiatives. I never imagined we were going to have more posts this year than last year, so am very pleased with that, but more than that pleased with the return of some of the golden oldies. You really did good with that. Particularly since I love to post and when there are really good quality posts around all of us can post more. Good quality posts don't only mean literary works of art, but also posts that generate a lot of comment - even some of the one-liners are right on.

Quote:
2011: 60248
2006: 323776
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:

@GhostRider. I hope the trend has reversed itself a little. Although it may look a bit misleading. The increase in number of posts this year are due to all the free domain and competition initiatives of end of last year that lasted until May. And the year before was a bit of the same. The other way round. Started off poorly, and then in September 2010 took off with the new initiatives. I never imagined we were going to have more posts this year than last year, so am very pleased with that, but more than that pleased with the return of some of the golden oldies. You really did good with that. Particularly since I love to post and when there are really good quality posts around all of us can post more. Good quality posts don't only mean literary works of art, but also posts that generate a lot of comment - even some of the one-liners are right on.

Quote:
2011: 60248
2006: 323776

That is true, the competitions and such did help some in the beginning of the year.

However the bigger picture is what is important. The yearly stats have just started a new upward trend instead of continuing downwards. This is the most important, despite this months post count.

Quote:
Don't know whether we're going to make it to 5000 for the month.

Speaking of the months post count, I'm quite certain we can hit the 5k post mark. We aren't too far off and we still have a few days.

Only time will tell, but I'm predicting that next years overall post count will be greater than 2011. Hopefully somewhere in the 70k range, but I'm looking for more of an 80k number. Very Happy
Blaster
FYI i'm back posts can start going up again.. Like I said before its christmas break I won't be on much... 25 days to cool down and do nothing... Quite nice.
Ghost Rider103
I should also be back posting often now. Had a great holiday break, now it's time to get back to work.

Good to see we managed to hit the 5k mark still. Though I think it's very important to break through that mark, as that proves difficult to do in the past months.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I should also be back posting often now. Had a great holiday break, now it's time to get back to work.

Good to see we managed to hit the 5k mark still. Though I think it's very important to break through that mark, as that proves difficult to do in the past months.
I don't know whether you checked but our numbers are REALLY down. I probably should change the heading again but don't want to jinx it!

This is what has been happening during January so far:
Quote:
Mon 09 January 2012: 144
Sun 08 January 2012: 142
Sat 07 January 2012: 108
Fri 06 January 2012: 96
Thu 05 January 2012: 118
Wed 04 January 2012: 107
Tue 03 January 2012: 219
Mon 02 January 2012: 180
Sun 01 January 2012: 179
Blaster
Well I'm back so lets see if I can help get that post count back up. Also welcome back ghost
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Well I'm back so lets see if I can help get that post count back up. Also welcome back ghost
Right. I'm always pleased to see you posting. Sort of uplifting and energetic and get me motivated too.
Blaster
I'm glad I can get you motivated. hopefully it works with other people too
smokey4life
Wow, i havent been around in some time now, im really going to have to try to get on and post more but with my current work schedule it makes it very difficult. Im negative 605.00 as we speak lol thats a whole lot of posting to do!
deanhills
smokey4life wrote:
Wow, i havent been around in some time now, im really going to have to try to get on and post more but with my current work schedule it makes it very difficult. Im negative 605.00 as we speak lol thats a whole lot of posting to do!
Wow, you must have been one of the very first members to join. A Golden Oldie! Welcome back! Very Happy
standready
smokey4life wrote:

Welcome back neighbor!
If you are really going to start posting regularly again, Bondings has set up a request form to 'zero' your negative points. You will need to do a search for it because I have no idea where it is - maybe your account page?
deanhills
standready wrote:
smokey4life wrote:

Welcome back neighbor!
If you are really going to start posting regularly again, Bondings has set up a request form to 'zero' your negative points. You will need to do a search for it because I have no idea where it is - maybe your account page?
Right. It's in the account page. There is a link in there. Very Happy
Blaster
Welcome back smokey. Glad to see oldies coming back. Dean he was only a couple months before me.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Welcome back smokey. Glad to see oldies coming back. Dean he was only a couple months before me.
Right! You're a golden oldie too. And happy to have you here. Cool
standready
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Ok, you "golden oldies", I am far behind except for in number of post. I'll never catch you 'old farts' - laugh
Blaster
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Ok, you "golden oldies", I am far behind except for in number of post. I'll never catch you 'old farts' - laugh

I don't have THAT much on you now...
Blaster
And now they are dropping again.... Seems like on the weekends the post numbers diminish as compared to the weekdays... I see a trend... HMMMM
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
And now they are dropping again.... Seems like on the weekends the post numbers diminish as compared to the weekdays... I see a trend... HMMMM
Think I need to revise the title - may be jinxing it .... Twisted Evil

OK. I see what you mean.
Quote:

Sun 22 January 2012: 112
Sat 21 January 2012: 153
Fri 20 January 2012: 174
Thu 19 January 2012: 198
Wed 18 January 2012: 233
Tue 17 January 2012: 197
Mon 16 January 2012: 182
Sun 15 January 2012: 110
Sat 14 January 2012: 109
Fri 13 January 2012: 177
Thu 12 January 2012: 146
Wed 11 January 2012: 123
Tue 10 January 2012: 155
Mon 09 January 2012: 139
Sun 08 January 2012: 140
Sat 07 January 2012: 108
Fri 06 January 2012: 95
Blaster
Yea... I guess its because people get out of their routine those days and don't come here... Me I'm usually too busy during the week so I come here more on the weekends. That is unless I am going home for the weekend them I'm way to busy to even look at the internet.
deanhills
What a relief! I thought we had done much worse than we had because the Board has been feeling deathly quiet to me over the last few weeks. Looks as though we're still 800 posts ahead of our September low. However MUCH lower than last January's record 6333 posts.
Quote:
January 2012: 4574
December 2011: 5232
November 2011: 4916
October 2011: 5049
September 2011: 3737
August 2011: 4312
July 2011: 5165
June 2011: 5878
May 2011: 5196
April 2011: 5105
March 2011: 4943
February 2011: 4809
January 2011: 6333

Ankhanu
Yeah, things have been disappointingly quiet around here since a bit before Christmas. I was really hoping that post-holiday January was going to bounce back to activity, but it's been a hard go. Was really hoping for a more significant bump in #FriHost use as well. While we did see an increase, it's largely due to a single new user (rjraaz), and not several new people, as I'd hoped. But, in the end, more activity is more activity, and rjraaz has increased the overall activity from old users as well.

EDIT - as a big FriHost fan, Dean, I'm a little surprised we haven't seen you pop by at all Wink
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
EDIT - as a big FriHost fan, Dean, I'm a little surprised we haven't seen you pop by at all Wink
Has this to do with the Channel? I've always hesitated as I'm not really a chat kind of person. How does it work?
Blaster
So we fell behind again... We were doing soo good...

Quote:
January 2006: 32800

That is when I joined... So we are far behind that.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Has this to do with the Channel? I've always hesitated as I'm not really a chat kind of person. How does it work?

Yeah, the IRC channel.
It doesn't "work" in any particular way; it's just a place for people to get together an talk in (close to) real time, about, well, whatever. We talk about Frih, we ask one another questions, joke about junk... whatever really.
There used to be more focus on coding and web development, but it's become more generalized over the years.

As for connecting, the instructions are:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-12060.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-132724.html
or http://frihost.ankhanupress.com
truespeed
Frihost beat my forums january post count by about +900. Mine isn't the busiest forum though.
Ankhanu
truespeed wrote:
Frihost beat my forums january post count by about +900. Mine isn't the busiest forum though.

Mine might have had... 30? Razz My forum is not very high traffic :/
standready
February is slipping sadly with only 2 short (1 leaping bonus) days left. Approximately 700 less than January and thousand less than one year ago.

Ghost Rider103
That's a shame. Not too far off I suppose, but any decrease in the amount of posts is disappointing.

You never know, maybe we can still come back Razz
deanhills
You're dead right Standready. I noticed it when there aren't enough posts for me to comment on. Peterssidan's competition has also kept me very busy. Think I now have a case of Frihost Elbow (equivalent of tennis elbow) and it feels as though my mouse wrist is going too .... hehe ..... Didn't realize how one could tense up one's left elbow even when one is right-handed and using the mouse with one's right hand. Haha ..... Frihost injuries. Very Happy

standready
deanhills wrote:
Think I now have a case of Frihost Elbow (equivalent of tennis elbow) and it feels as though my mouse wrist is going too .... hehe ..... Didn't realize how one could tense up one's left elbow even when one is right-handed and using the mouse with one's right hand. Haha ..... Frihost injuries. Very Happy

Frihost Elbow - laugh
That is why I use a trackball instead of a mouse. Less movement! Also probably does hurt that I write 'left-handed'. Multi-tasking taking note while surfing Frihost.

200 post added in about 24 hours so we are getting closer. Into the leaping bonus time!
alvarorojas4
It seems like the forum is a littlñe bit more active than before Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
alvarorojas4 wrote:

Have you read the thread? Not quite.

We've been discussing how activity has been decreasing over the years and we're trying to turn that around.
Peterssidan
alvarorojas4 wrote:

Is this your experience with the Spanish forum? I know you post most of your post in that forum.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
alvarorojas4 wrote:

Have you read the thread? Not quite.

We've been discussing how activity has been decreasing over the years and we're trying to turn that around.
Would be nice to get some more contests going. I enjoyed Peterssidan's for example, but while I was searching for Avatars discovered that one of the Frihost members who is no longer an active poster - m-productions - was running a "guess the image" type contest on a regular basis. Think we need attention-grabbing and interesting contests like that.

I need to recuperate first after my last contest, but will see what I can come up with. I've invested so much energy in Peterssidan's competition I'm dead beat! Twisted Evil
ocalhoun
Oh, trying so hard to get Frihost's post count up again...

You should come back by Bronyville again if you're bored. We just hit 20K, and got over 1K in a single day! ^.^

(Or in other words, "Come to the dark side... We have ponies!")
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Oh, trying so hard to get Frihost's post count up again...

You should come back by Bronyville again if you're bored. We just hit 20K, and got over 1K in a single day! ^.^

(Or in other words, "Come to the dark side... We have ponies!")
Long time since I've been bored. But yes, I'm horribly out of date with Bronyville and the last episodes of the ponies, so at least something to look forward to. I did check in a few weeks ago, and it looked quite busy but very well organised in there. I'm more an admirer of the graphics and art work of the show, however when I do have some spare time on my hands will definitely check in some time.
Josso
May I join and not get involved with the subculture?
deanhills
Josso wrote:
You'll have to translate this for me in plain English. What does it mean? Confused
ocalhoun
Josso wrote:

You can try!

But eventually, I bet you'll go try it, just to see what everybody keeps talking about... and then you'll be hooked. ^.^
mukesh
This is my 500th post Very Happy
deanhills
mukesh wrote:
This is my 500th post Very Happy
Congratulations Mukesh - 500 posts were pretty special to me too at the time. And for IceCreamTruck too, just check out his thread below. Hehe ....

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-124482.html#1021735
standready
Holy smokesrs! March post were up.

March 2012: 4714
February 2012: 4252
January 2012: 4540

Too bad much of it is SPAM!
deanhills
I thought it would have been much less and was too afraid to check. Great that it turned out OK. Probably because we had some new posters joining up with some good numbers of quality posts during March. For example TheGremlyn and Stupid_American.
Ankhanu
I'm kinda curious about the statistical variation in post counts. I mean, yeah, 4714 is better than the last two months (without any doubt a good thing!!), but is it a statistically significant difference, or is it statistically equivalent? Maybe I'll compile the numbers and find a mean and standard deviation... but I think I'm too lazy Razz

Good to see the post count up in any event.

standready wrote:
Too bad much of it is SPAM!

I dunno if there's significant variation in the spam contribution month to month... Yeah, there's a lot, but I don't think it really fluctuates a lot.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
but I think I'm too lazy Razz
Right. I feel the same kind of inertia, which probably is indicative of a certain kind of posting malaise on the Board. We are in major need of infusion of different energy.
Ghost Rider103
Seems we're still doing fairly well in my opinion.

Though hopefully we will have new things coming to Frihost soon which will boost activity even more. I think activity levels are currently good, but I think some of us which are on here daily can easily get burnt out much quicker than others.

And yes, spam activity doesn't seem to change much at all. Despite user activity changing once in a while, the flow of spam usually stays the same (except in odd cases where one spam bot goes on a massive spamming frenzy, which doesn't happen very often).
loremar
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

... I think activity levels are currently good, but I think some of us which are on here daily can easily get burnt out much quicker than others.

Yes, it's been a struggle for me.
But it gets easier when you have a bad case of "I'll die soon if I can't log in to Frihost." Laughing
deanhills
I think GhostRider said it well for me too. I'm kind'a burnt out for now. I've got my 15,000 goal and not sure what I'm going to do after that.
sonam
Quote:
I've got my 15,000 goal and not sure what I'm going to do after that.

Just make new goal e.g. 20,000. Rolling Eyes

Sonam
Ankhanu
sonam wrote:
Quote:

Sonam

Hehe, yeah. High post count goals are a mobile target Smile

I dunno, Dean. I know I caused insult on your blog earlier, but, I found that thinking of blog topic *themes* got my ball rolling a bit. Maybe think of something that your passionate about, could even be more than one topic, and do a series of blogs about different aspects of that topic? That could get a fire under you and rekindle some energy?
deanhills
sonam wrote:
Quote:

Sonam
Why would I want to do that? Wink

Ankhanu wrote:
I dunno, Dean. I know I caused insult on your blog earlier, but, I found that thinking of blog topic *themes* got my ball rolling a bit. Maybe think of something that your passionate about, could even be more than one topic, and do a series of blogs about different aspects of that topic? That could get a fire under you and rekindle some energy?
Thanks for the suggestion Ankhanu. Angel
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
sonam wrote:
Quote:

Sonam
Why would I want to do that? Wink

To set a new personal goal, as a motivator for you to keep posting more and more. Plus, there is talk of possibly a new rank. Very Happy
loremar
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

To set a new personal goal, as a motivator for you to keep posting more and more. Plus, there is talk of possibly a new rank. Very Happy

New Rank?
hmmm. That means I'm going to be a "Prisoner of Frihost" for 15 years or more. hahaha.

I was also thinking recently. Maybe members can get bonus coins for reaching a rank. The higher the rank the bigger the bonus coins you get? I was just thinking that, because old Frihosters would want to give away coins through contests. Contests add fun in the forums and its a shame that they have to have to reap alot of coins from their own pocket.
Ghost Rider103
Quote:
I was also thinking recently. Maybe members can get bonus coins for reaching a rank. The higher the rank the bigger the bonus coins you get? I was just thinking that, because old Frihosters would want to give away coins through contests. Contests add fun in the forums and its a shame that they have to have to reap alot of coins from their own pocket.

Hey that's not a bad idea!

Maybe start a thread in the suggestions and see if you can grab Bondings' attention with it. Not sure how many different ways he wants to give people to make coins, but he could go for it.
standready
year in review (so far)

June 2012: 1697
May 2012: 4878
April 2012: 4911
March 2012: 4682
February 2012: 4241
January 2012: 4532

waiting for the 5k month?
Josso
We can doo eet!!
kenxeiko
103th Post Embarassed
And 'min' points Sad
Vanilla
Josso wrote:
We can doo eet!!

5k is way too easy!

standready wrote:
year in review (so far)

June 2012: 1697
May 2012: 4878
April 2012: 4911
March 2012: 4682
February 2012: 4241
January 2012: 4532

waiting for the 5k month?

You know what would be awesome? If we beat January/2006 (32800 posts)! I think we can do it. Very Happy
loremar
Vanilla wrote:

You know what would be awesome? If we beat January/2006 (32800 posts)! I think we can do it. Very Happy

With the help of the spammers, yes we can!

I really love the optimism though.... Very Happy
truespeed
All spam posts just get put into a span can don't they? They don't get deleted.So they still count towards the monthly totals.
loremar
truespeed wrote:
All spam posts just get put into a span can don't they? They don't get deleted.So they still count towards the monthly totals.

Is that so? Someone should do something about it.
Makes me wonder if spammers come in a constant rate. Otherwise, how'd we know if the forum is getting more real activity or not?
Vanilla
loremar wrote:
Vanilla wrote:

With the help of the spammers, yes we can!

I really love the optimism though.... Very Happy

Well thank you! I tend to be optimistic with thinks that I am able to change. Very Happy I think it would be a lovely idea if we get everybody together to break the posts record. It would be good for everybody: the forum would be more active, we would have more points (AND coins!) and the content generated would attract more visitors from Google (new members yay!). Wink

loremar wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Is that so? Someone should do something about it.
Makes me wonder if spammers come in a constant rate. Otherwise, how'd we know if the forum is getting more real activity or not?

I don't think spammers count as much as regular members, since we tend to act fast to remove all the postings. Also, we don't have many spammers everyday.
deanhills
Vanilla wrote:
I don't think spammers count as much as regular members, since we tend to act fast to remove all the postings. Also, we don't have many spammers everyday.
All spam posts as far as I know go to the Spam Can and the number of posts in the Spam Can are also added to the total number of posts at the bottom of the page. Right after we made the one million post mark, Bondings suggested that he could reset the post number to the genuine number, i.e. total posts less those in the spam can so we could do a new count down to million posts. And then that did not happen as I think he got caught up in something that limited his available time for Frihost at that time.

Loremar does hit the nail on creating quality posts. Quality posts are like Loremar's and yours where you obviously take lots of care with every sentence you contribute, versus posts for the sake of making them. I mean in addition to real spam posts in the spam can, there are spam type posts that hardly say anything on the Board and the contents are so incoherent at times that I can't make head and tail out of them.

Anyway, I'm all gung ho for getting to 5000 posts, but I need other Frihosters to post as well in addition to the regulars like you, Standready, Loremar, Bikerman etc. Over the last few months it's been really hard making those posts, whereas in the past they just bubbled spontaneously the one after the other. Getting to 100 points in one session just happened without even trying to get to the mark as there were plenty of enthusiastic posters, and interesting topics that attracted plenty of energy. Now I find it quite difficult to get to fifty points a day.
ankitdatashn
The statistic page seems like a camel's hump Very Happy
deanhills
ankitdatashn wrote:
The statistic page seems like a camel's hump Very Happy
I was wondering what you were talking about until I opened it. Dead on the number the camel's hump! Laughing

deanhills
Looks as though we're almost 600 posts down from last month.

Bondings
deanhills wrote:

Maybe because a lot of people have exams in June?
Ankhanu
Bondings wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Maybe because a lot of people have exams in June?

Nah, it's mostly because I've had really limited bandwidth through the last half of the month and wasn't really online.

It's all me, guys. Sorry. I let you down Wink
Josso
lol I think we need to start sending out some referrals - need some fresh blood around here
Vanilla
Josso wrote:
lol I think we need to start sending out some referrals - need some fresh blood around here

I did that some time ago and I only got new people for the Portuguese forum... Meh. Anyway, the referrals are a good idea to people that have blogs/sites hosted here. Plus they give you coins. Very Happy
truespeed
I blame ponies.
deanhills
Josso wrote:
I vote for that one.
truespeed wrote:
I blame ponies.
Haha ..... good point that. Laughing
deanhills