FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

LCD or LED Monitor?

lovescience
I have a LCD monitor. I am thinking to get another monitor. I want to connect these two monitors to a computer.

Do you use two monitors for your computer? Is it better to use two LCD monitors together or two LED monitors?

I heard LED monitor is much whiter on screen than LCD monitor.
lightwate
Yes, the display on LED monitors are finer and better than LCD's. The most notable difference is that with LEDs, you can be able to see finer pictures even if you're not directly in front of it. (The display on LCD tends to change color when you view it from a different angle).

However, I don't notice that much of a difference at all in terms of picture quality. If I were in you're place, I'd choose the LEDs, but if the LCDs are significantly cheaper, then I'd choose that. Very Happy

You also might want to consider buying a better graphics card if you don't have one already. (make sure yours have 2 video outs)
davidv
I think the most important thing you should consider is a monitor that has same size and resolution as your current monitor. I've used dual screen for a while now and when I first tried it out, I had two monitors with two different resolutions. Navigating my mouse from one screen to the other was a bit annoying before I got use to it.

To answer you question though, choosing between another LCD or a new LCD, LED-backlit really depends on how you want to configure your desktop. If you want another monitor to extend your current desktop without, you know, stretching say a single window on both monitors (apparently a lot of hardcore gamers do this), I'd probably go get myself a brand new LCD, LED-backlit because there is quite a notable quality difference in the high end stuff, if I had the money. Although, I personally would just go for another LCD anyway just because it's cheaper Razz (and if the current monitor you have now is fine, I'd probably just get the exact same one and stick them together).
vidafenomenal
first impression. LED could be better. Low energy cost.
savable
LED monitors would be better choice because of picture quality and low power usage and also latest technology. But depends upon ho much you have to invest and I couldn't understand the meaning of using two monitors with single CPU ?
BadBBilly
savable wrote:
LED monitors would be better choice because of picture quality and low power usage and also latest technology. But depends upon ho much you have to invest and I couldn't understand the meaning of using two monitors with single CPU ?

I agree - put a LED & LCD together and you will notice the finer quality and crisp display in the LED - have seen few LED at reasonable prices, mainly 19 - 22 inch not expensive.

I myself would love to upgrade my Monitors - but first i need to upgrade my internals - overdue for speed increase - CPU,M/B, RAM etc.
nepalstar
lovescience wrote:
I have a LCD monitor. I am thinking to get another monitor. I want to connect these two monitors to a computer.

Do you use two monitors for your computer? Is it better to use two LCD monitors together or two LED monitors?

Where as I know LED is new technology then LCD, so I prefer to have LED monitor. Sometime I also use two monitors at that time I use CRT and LCD. Thankx
k_s_baskar
LED monitor price is equal to LCD monitor so i prefer LED monitor.
rjraaz
Since it is not possible to explain difference between these two types of monitors just visit http://www.ledvslcd.com/ and watch their demostration hope those will clear your point and help you to chooce best of the two.

OR visit http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp for short comparison.
therimalaya
I Prefer LED. It has high contrast which is good for eyes and its display is very good comparing to that of LCD.
chatrack
LED monitors are better in performance and it consumes less energy. I prefer LED monitors
cresvale
Quote:
LED Vs LCD Monitor: Basic Difference
LED and LCD monitors are based on the same basic technology for image display but differ in the kind of backlighting used. While LCD monitors use cold cathode fluorescent lamps for backlighting, LED monitors use light emitting diodes. This is the main difference between the two display technologies. So LEDs are a type of LCD monitors.

Unlike CRT monitors that generate their own light through cathode ray incidence on fluorescent materials, LCD displays have to rely on external lighting as their display is created through manipulation of light passing through polarized liquid crystals. The backlighting affects picture quality substantially and light shed by LEDs offer superior picture quality compared to LCDs.

This is because LEDs offer much more gradation in intensity, giving a much truer color quality. These types of monitors offer a better dynamic contrast ratio too. So if you compare LED vs LCD monitor for gaming and other intensive graphic applications, LED monitors are surely better choices.

There are two types of LED backlighting techniques used. One is RGB dynamic LED and the other one is edge LED. The former type of backlighting uses LEDs placed behind the LCD TV or monitor screens, while the latter uses LEDs placed around the monitor rim, from where light is made to diffuse behind the screen. Since LEDs are placed around the rim on edge LED monitors, they can be a lot slimmer than conventional LCDs.

LED Vs LCD Monitor: Power Consumption
LED monitors are a very recently introduced technology and they are preferred over LCD monitors because of the amazingly rich picture quality and comfort of viewing. One more advantage that LED monitors have over LCD ones is the power consumption factor. LED monitors require a lot less power to operate than cold cathode fluorescent lamps. This property can be attributed to the inherently low energy needs of an LED.

LED monitors are also a lot softer on the eyes than LCD monitors which make them popular choices for people who work for long hours on their desktop computers. Their power consumption is as much as 40% lesser than conventional LCD monitors. They are also a lot more eco-friendly because mercury is not used in their production.

LED Vs LCD Monitor: Cost
One major factor that has been holding back LED technology from reaching the masses is the high price factor. The manufacturing of these devices is a lot costlier currently compared to LCD displays which have raised their overall price. To get an idea about the complete range of choice available to you while buying new computer monitors or TVs, refer to LCD vs LED vs plasma comparison.

Hope this LED vs LCD monitor comparison has left no doubt in your minds about how these two technologies are different. It will take time for the manufacturing costs of this technology to go down, but when it does, it will surely replace conventional LCD monitors in large numbers.
jwellsy
For the other part of the question, I use 2 monitors for work and only one monitor for pleasure.
deanhills
I've got an old 15 inch Samsung Syncmaster at home - still in excellent condition - purchased it in 2001. I've been wanting to buy a new one, but almost feel like a shame to let go of a perfectly good one. I'd probably go for a Samsung again as this LCD is kind on my eyes.

At work I have an HP LCD that is also great on the eyes. It's 19 inches. I'm not sure I will ever get an LED. Priority for a monitor will always be something that is very kind on the eyes since I'm spending such a lot of time using it.
narashiman
LED with 3D will be the most awesome one....
brandon02852
I recently bought an LED backlit LCD monitor and the difference is amazing. Since the backlight on an LED monitor is MUCH brighter than the lighting on a regular LCD monitor, the colors stand out more and white actually looks white for a change.

If you are going for an LED backlit LCD, I suggest making it 120hz to reduce eye strain...also great for 3D if you are a gamer.
mml_
Apart from energy consumption and superior brightness LED backlighting has another advantage: The LED diodes should last longer than the standard CCFL (= cold cathode fluorescent lighting( In my 6 year old VAIO A series that was the first thing to go).
You can have a look at:
http://www.geek.com/hdtv-buyers-guide/backlighting/
mukesh
lovescience wrote:

My laptop is with LED and my desktop is LCD monitor both between no any compare because LED is new Technology and Display to much clear and better so, if you want to buy new monitor then must buy LED.
Led is better then LCD or another.
pll
I think that LED can get last longer than LCD displays ! Smile
From my experience.
blazy
LCD! Led have bad quitality
SamHolberton
I would like to know where I can find a good, equal lumens LED replacement bulb for my fridge. I don't have any extra room for any bulb bigger than the regular fridge type appliance bulb. I'm looking at a direct E27 socket 360 degree light dispersion 40W equivalant bulb. Thanks!

blue led strip LED Bulbs 12v led spotlight
blueray
Definitely, to get a new LED monitor !!

I am currently using both of these.

One for my older desktop PC (it's a bandname of comemon, LCD)
And the other is a new laptop PC with new LED.

Tthe laster one provides more brightless, more realistic, more contracts and ever more ..

The better ways is to go to computer shops and do a comparsion of each other for 1 or 2 months,
And don't forget take a photo for each one and do the same thing mentioned above.

You trust or not, I have been spend more time for checking out my laptop for over half an year.
Monitor is less expensive now, but you may get one and use for over 3 years and above.

So, to get a good one and made you computer more bright is not a bad idea. Smile
gheba
The LED monitors are based on LCD (liquid crystals). What changes on LED monitors is the method to backlight the LC panel. LED us LEDs. Laughing
sysna
LED monitors of course but i even prefer 3D LED monitors , they will give you 3D experience which is cool when you play games.
siemens13
lovescience wrote:

I am using two monitors for my computer for playing games and also using two graphics card. i am using two LEDmonitors. because LED monitor is much whiter on screen than LCD monitor and its better for our eyes than the LCD monitor.
tomkbruce
Is displayed on the LED display than LCD finer, better.The most obvious difference is the LED display, you can see better pictures, even if you are not directly in front of it.

LED Light | LED light bulbs
amzhr1
I saw in a stadium a LED Screen with a good display and it is obvious the difference with pictures.
gotisrael
I use 2 monitors... 1 is LG lcd for computer and 2nd is 26 led samsumg which also connected to my pc using hdmi cable - I am using XBMC to watch my tv shows and movies.
riteshk1
LED monitor has high resolution will look better aesthetically. Led will produce less heat, less power and LED would be lighter compared to the tubes. As compare LCD, LED is better.
dabyd64
I have two monitors, one is LED while other is not.
Consumption is pretty the same, the 24" LED monitor consumes near 45W and the 19" not LED does 40W.
Both have a good image quality but the LED monitor has a better white and has more brightness
riteshk1
According to me led monitor is better than LCD
dxverm
I've liked all the LED monitors more than my LCD's, much better quality in my opinion just that some monitors have light bleeding which is annoying at first.