FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Did you try windows 8?

Adiiforu
I really want to try out windows 8, but I am wondering whether or not to download 2.4GB, as downloading is really costly.

Did anyone try out? Also tell me how was your experience?
deanhills
The general advice is not to use Windows 8 as it is not finally developed yet. Probably better to wait until it is commercially available first. Otherwise you may just create some headaches for yourself.
chartcentral
I'd probably try Windows 8 on a virtual machine first (VirtualBox or VMWare). Smile
menino
Windows 8 is still released as a developer preview, so unless your a developer, I don't think there's much use to download and install it, unless your a real windows enthusiast and want to see all its new features.
A lot fo its features will change in course of time anyways, from the developer to the initial release of windows 8.

Below is the handson review of windows 8 developer preview for your information :- http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/hands-on-windows-8-review-1025259

Its got a lot of new features, and if you really want to get the feel of it, it wont take too long to really learn it, once you do get your hands on it.
Its got more of a windows mobile interface.
nivinjoy
Heard that the downloads are available from the Microsoft site and also i saw the Build Video of Windows 8..On the whole it is a new experience for the users i guess.. Waiting to lay my hands on it..
loyal
If my harddrive was big enough, I'd use vmware to try it out just out of boredom. It's not about being a windows enthuasist, but being tired/bored of what's no longer new, i.e. windows 7.
funyug
Windows 8 never heard of it
nivinjoy
funyug wrote:
Windows 8 never heard of it

Then you might want to go through more tech blogs and get yourself updated.. Try the following link:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/
Frilleee
i heard that windows 8 is not going to be as good as windows 7 was so there will problemly be like vista and then next after windows 8 is going to be good
foumy6
yea this is my first hearing about windows 8.. but I dont know how they can really get better than 7..
lrj945
The windows 8 looks very attractive. I recommend you to try it .
Zuex
I haven't seen anything significant to want me to even try it to be honest. Windows 7 is doing a great job for me.
cresvale
I'm not going to try it now.
cybersa
Just now i reached my home from College for 1 week of holidays for Diwali.
So,I'm going to try it.
Smile
the-guide
Here's the looks of Windows 8 interface...

Windows 8 was designed to run on both Intel and ARM (SoC) platform that mean it can be run on all
desktop, notebook, netbook and tablet while it still able to run all Windows 7 application.
It use only 281MB system memory while Windows 7 use 404MB so it can work well even on PC with only
1GB memory. I think Windows 8 is a future operating system that is very effective and very fast.

However, the Internet Explorer 10 that comes Windows 8 will no longer supports any Flash plugins from
Adobe, it cannot run the flash content on the websites.

You can see an inside look from the Windows engineering team here: "Building Windows 8"

deanhills
the-guide wrote:
However, the Internet Explorer 10 that comes Windows 8 will no longer supports any Flash plugins from
I heard that too, but I thought that was only applicable to mobile phones. Because of their limited capacity vs. laptops and desktops?
menino
I do want to try it, and my colleague gave me the developer preview of the dvd, but I dont want to install it now on my already overloaded work laptop.

The machine I have at home only has 256mb ram, and its not upgradeable easily, as it is rdram, which is not available in the local market, and its expensive ordering from out.

I'll have to wait for a while and try and take a look at it.
deanhills
menino wrote:
I do want to try it, and my colleague gave me the developer preview of the dvd, but I dont want to install it now on my already overloaded work laptop.

The machine I have at home only has 256mb ram, and its not upgradeable easily, as it is rdram, which is not available in the local market, and its expensive ordering from out.

I'll have to wait for a while and try and take a look at it.
I feel very spoilt. I have computers at work and home with 2GB RAM and a Netbook with 2GB RAM. Must say however, I'd have thought I would require at least 4GB RAM and the latest processor like i5-i7 to run Windows 7 fast. So for that reason I'm still on Windows XP. I'm on CORE 2 DUO.
nepalstar
Really interesting...!

I wanna try Windows 8, where can I found that..? currently I'm using Windows 7. Does Microsoft officially released Windows 8? where can we see the snapshots of windows 8????
menino
I wanted to try windows 8 as well, and have the developer preview dvd, but dont have a proper machine to install it on, except my work laptop, which I have too much work on to install it at the moment, and with 2 gb ram on it, its difficult to allocate memory for a virtual machine.

But the release of windows 8 will only by mid of next year, right? During that time, I hope that they won't bloat it, so that its much slower than the preview.
Also the developer preview of windows 8 is set to expire soon, and I think if I install it, I will have only a few weeks to really use it.
mukesh
This time i have no any copy of win 8 and not tryed to doiwnload it but i want to use win8.
inuyasha
I'm reallly attracted by its new features. By the way, I'm going to buy a new laptop when Windows 8 is released. Actually I'm still stick to Windows XP now. I do need to update my hardware.
cresvale
not interested.
pioneer987
Adiiforu wrote:
I really want to try out windows 8, but I am wondering whether or not to download 2.4GB, as downloading is really costly.

Did anyone try out? Also tell me how was your experience?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSdfGzF60M[/youtube]

I did not try it, but personally, i would never buy such device or software..
from what I saw on youtube reviews.. If they are not fake.. then:

Windows 98 - great

Windows Me - fail

Windows XP - great

Windows Vista - fail

Windows 7 - great

Windows 8 - fail?
menino
Well, I tried windows 8 some time ago (the developer preview) 32 bit, and I didn't like it too much.
It has a new interface that takes a bit of getting used to, but apart from that, I found it slower than windows 7 on my dell latitude d630 laptop with 2 gb ram.
The system crawled, and I tried to remove some of the start up programs, but wasn't too much use.

Well, I had to reformat my machine, and did it with windows xp, since it was faster, and soon it will be windows 7 again.

I hope windows 8 will be better once they release it.
portoskt
windows 7 is very good, and i just hope that 8 will continue and be even better... didnt try it yet, i dont like to try beta versions
BadBBilly
Tested out the Dev W8 ISO, be great to use with Touchscreen - seems they are heading towards the touchscreen/smartphone operations & feel.

Installed W8 inside VMware - runs slow - it's a DEV version i s'pose, can't complain.
rjraaz
nepalstar wrote:
Really interesting...!

I wanna try Windows 8, where can I found that..? currently I'm using Windows 7. Does Microsoft officially released Windows 8? where can we see the snapshots of windows 8????

Can visit link below here you get allinformation about windows8 its snapshots, download etc., but be carefull it is in development not for production.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/preview
belltown
I read an article or posting somewhere that seemed to indicate that the Windows 8 BIOS (which uses UEFI technology) is capable to preventing other operating systems, e.g. Linux from co-existing on the same system. This presumably could be enabled or not by the OEMs. Does anyone have any more information on this?
deanhills
belltown wrote:
I read an article or posting somewhere that seemed to indicate that the Windows 8 BIOS (which uses UEFI technology) is capable to preventing other operating systems, e.g. Linux from co-existing on the same system. This presumably could be enabled or not by the OEMs. Does anyone have any more information on this?
I'm no expert, but why would one want to have the two co-existing? I always thought those who love Linux really don't want anything to do with Windows? Something like this:
rjraaz
deanhills wrote:
belltown wrote:
I'm no expert, but why would one want to have the two co-existing? I always thought those who love Linux really don't want anything to do with Windows? Something like this:

But sometimes someone curious about the new platforms but wants to be with his old platform so co-existance may be needed at that situation.

Like Google's new mobile platform Android whinch has adopted a large market. Similarly non-MAC OS/x users always curious about it.
belltown
deanhills wrote:
belltown wrote:

I wanted to use Linux to learn more about operating systems. Linux makes that easier in that you have complete access to the source code for just about the whole system. I wouldn't say I fell in love with Linux, but I have enjoyed the learning experience. However, there are some things that you just can't do on Linux. For example, run the Netflix movie player, as well as running many other software products that have Windows-only versions. It's very common for people to have two (or more) different OS's coexisting on the same machine.
mukesh
the-guide wrote:
Here's the looks of Windows 8 interface...

Windows 8 was designed to run on both Intel and ARM (SoC) platform that mean it can be run on all
desktop, notebook, netbook and tablet while it still able to run all Windows 7 application.
It use only 281MB system memory while Windows 7 use 404MB so it can work well even on PC with only
1GB memory. I think Windows 8 is a future operating system that is very effective and very fast.

You can see an inside look from the Windows engineering team here: "Building Windows 8"

nice look totally changed