FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Giving up

rogue_skydragon
At what point in life should one lose sight of his dreams? When did you give up on your sense of idealism?
Nameless
Never, ideally. Very Happy

... or at least not until it becomes practically and objectively impossible for you to achieve them at which you'd be better off finding more realistic goals and nope, just checked, I'm still cynic.
ocalhoun
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with 'never'...

There's a time when it's normal to do so, but that doesn't mean you should.

If you have no dreams or ideals, you have no purpose... and if you have no purpose, you might as well entirely give up and commit suicide. ... Or perhaps descend into pure hedonism.

...Sorry if that sounds harsh, but a life without purpose is -- by definition -- a life not worth living.
(And a life devoted to hedonism will often quickly lead to 'burnout', and once the pleasures of the world are no longer pleasing, you're again left with no purpose.)
Nameless
ocalhoun wrote:
if you have no purpose, you might as well entirely give up and commit suicide. ... Or perhaps descend into pure hedonism.

You say that like hedonism is a bad thing. There are plenty of simple, healthy pleasures that people can and do enjoy throughout life. Like eating tasty food or stepping under a hot a shower. You don't have to become obsessed with those pleasures or have some higher purpose to look forward to them. Even if your life goal becomes impossible to achieve, it'd be worth at the very least staying alive for the smaller things.

Enjoy the journey and don't worry about your lack of destination, and whatnot.
loremar
I consider my philosophy of life as ascetic existentialist epicureanism. I don't fear death but only those people who desire death are those who can't live without the conventional pleasures of life such as love, money, sex, reputation etc. I keep myself away from those pleasures to spend time on things that will give me significant happiness, memories I can carry while I live. Life itself indulging only with our needs and sustaining our existence is meaningless and absurd, and therefore I am more inclined as long as I can to find meaning by pursuing goals which I subjectively find to be meaningful despite the risk of failure. For me life is a cycle of failures and goals and sometimes success. All three gives me significant memories and to me is meaningful. Giving up is meaningless and only when you try will you find meaning.

I have no idea what I am saying but what I mean is I am satisfied without having anything in my life, life itself is still satisfactory but only meaningful when I can find goals to pursuit. So for the question, have I gave up? I have given up on many things but never gave up with life. I am still able to find goals to pursuit.

Very Happy
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:

You say that like hedonism is a bad thing. There are plenty of simple, healthy pleasures that people can and do enjoy throughout life.

In moderation, no, it's not a bad thing.
As the only purpose to one's life though, it leaves much to be desired.
deanhills
I'd also have to say never. I'd say the moment we give up is the moment that we reach a state of death.
xikaouj
When I have done eveything to make something, but in the end it still failed.
Dialogist
rogue_skydragon wrote:
At what point in life should one lose sight of his dreams? When did you give up on your sense of idealism?

I don't think you can lose sight of a dream while you're still using reality to define it by and I don't think you can define idealism without this comparative distinction. Idealism is a tightrope that we walk by use of balance. Healthy danger keeps you alive but dangerous health does not.
c'tair
xikaouj wrote:

That just means try harder, man.
deanhills
c'tair wrote:
xikaouj wrote:

That just means try harder, man.
Right. This is probably going to sound like a cliche but most of your famous inventors probably failed hundreds of times before they managed to hit the right one.

Thomas Edison:
Quote:
Results? Why, man, I have gotten lots of results! If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is often a step forward....

Source: http://thomasedison.com/quotes.html
lightningleo
Well.. I think a Man never give up..
He thinks he gave up his dreams but still in some corner of his brain it is still alive..
if he finds only a small possibility,.. his that part becomes active..
so practically a man never give up...

{jeez.. its my 200th Post.}
busman
I have dreams and I have goals they are far different and I wouldn't start to give up on either unless shown by some miraculous higher power that there was no purpose to them... And even then probably still not.
menino
I think everyone in their lives comes across this crossroad path.
I think you should never give up, and if you feel that there's something wrong, don't lose hope.
Maybe there's some other way that will lead to the way you are going.
Perhaps your path is different, and the way you do things are different as well.
Even Einstein wasn't a brilliant student in school, but came up much after.
There are of course many other examples, but its important to find your own path.
lucascoelho
Yeah, alright.... the right answer is NEVER! For me, once I give up my dreams, I'm virtually dead!

Men (and women, for sure) are made of dreams... We dream since we are just little kids... We dream about anything! We dream about everything and we many times really follow our dreams!

I'm not talking about being a daydreamer... that's completely different! No illusions, no time wasted...

Just the opposite! I'm talking about dreaming, letting fly your deeper and most creative thoughts!!! Then you have to calm down, think carefully, so you can go to the next level: put them to practice!

Whenever it is, doesn't matter how old you are, what you have done or have not done in your life... If one stops dreaming, one stops living... That's the moment on which people starts to only survive, do things mechanically.... Not good, not good at all!

Keep dreaming, and fulfilling your dreams! Make your life the life of your dreams! Very Happy
deanhills
Totally agreed lucascoelho. Once I stop dreaming I'd be dead. Sort of dreams that fuel me. I'm planning for a big holiday right now and have never felt as alive as I do right now. Gotta have something to look forward to and I guess all of that starts in the head with a dream.
lucascoelho
deanhills wrote:
Totally agreed lucascoelho. Once I stop dreaming I'd be dead. Sort of dreams that fuel me. I'm planning for a big holiday right now and have never felt as alive as I do right now. Gotta have something to look forward to and I guess all of that starts in the head with a dream.

Perfect, man.... Thanx for sharing!
Dialogist
Also, idealism is a concept that conforms to a conceived standard. You can't ever give up on idealism, even if you really try. Because what you decide upon, then becomes the ideal. If you're looking for an inspirational soundbite, I don't really have any to offer, which in itself is inspirational in so much as, you don't need one. An inspirational quote or piece of advice is one man telling you a lie or favourable embellishment that you already want to hear. If it's pleasing you can adopt it and if its negative you can discard it. So you already know what you'd like the content to concern and touch upon. So.. just do whatever that is like you're going to regardless (whether it be a plus or minus). Advice is pre-justification for what you've already visualised and accepted and therefore, pretty much already done anyway. Barring a poem from Kipling or some physically or mentally deficient person doing something you could only dream of, there's very little to persuade a mind to do what it's already decided upon.
siemens13
It' means obviously try hard and soul. i also believe it that god also helps which person who try to his best for success. and never give up any good habits and also give up bad habits. also try to living honesty. i am assure that if anybody follow this rules, he will become never fail.