FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How can I tell if my pc will work with CS5?

wellerchap
I'd love to get into CS5 Photoshop but have been told it won't work on older machines (mine's about 5 yrs old) and must run on a 64 bit processor.....how can I tell if I'm compatible?
odayguide
check the configuration requirements. you can google it to find what the minimum system requirements of it.
wellerchap
Thank you, but I'm more in the dark about how to confirm my own system's statistics.
Ghost Rider103
I think you can get a 32bit version of cs5. Wouldnt be too profitable for adobe to limit cs5 to 64bit.

To check the requirements for cs5, just visit adobe.com and just check system requirements. id link you but im writing this from my cell so that would be difficult.

As for your system specs, what os are you running? XP?

To check your own system specs, go to start (if your on xp) control panel... and i actually dont remember from here and i cant look since im not on my computer. Just look closely, should be something like system, computer system, etc.

Dont be afraid to click around in the control panel. You should eventually find a screen that shows memory, os type, hd space, etc.

If you still need help il check back tomorrow when im on my computer so i can be a bit more specific.
cybersa
Enter this dxdiag on Run.
Then you can know full details about computer.
wellerchap
Thanks guys - in my system info the processor info reads...
AMD Athlon XP 2600+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.9GHz.

Ghost Rider - I hope you're out of your cell soon!
Ghost Rider103
Ok, here are the system requirements for Photoshop CS5:

Quote:
Windows

Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3; Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (Service Pack 2 recommended); or Windows 7
1GB of RAM
1GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and 256MB of VRAM
Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0
DVD-ROM drive
QuickTime 7.6.2 software required for multimedia features
Broadband Internet connection required for online services and to validate Subscription Edition (if applicable) on an ongoing basis*

Basically, two of these are more important than others. 1GB of RAM and 1 GB of disk space, which you probably have.

However the only thing concerns me is you may not have 1GB of RAM since your PC is 5 years old.

How to see how much RAM you have, go to start, control panel, click on System. Then on the bottom right of the window that will pop up, under "Computer" you should see something like "1 GB of RAM" if you have at least 1GB of RAM then you're capable of running CS5. Just 1 GB is a bit low in my opinion and it may or may not cause your computer to lag.

So 1 GB is the bare minimum. If you don't have 1 GB, then I'd recommend to upgrade your memory (unless you're on a laptop).

To answer your other question, you do NOT have to have 64bit to run CS5.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
wellerchap
Thanks Ghosty-bloke....I'm reading this from work now, but will check that when I get home tonight.
Top man!
Ghost Rider103
Did you end up figuring this out?

If not just let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be glad to do what I can to help out.
wellerchap
Ghost Rider - many thanks for the info.....I finally got my backside into gear and checked....I only have 704mb of RAM (and that's more than originally installed, as I remember topping this up a couple of years back & am up to the limit my pc), so I guess I'll have to make do with CS3 still.
Again, thank you.
Ghost Rider103
No worries, glad I could help.

CS3 is still a great version.

If you are really in need of CS5 though, upgrading your RAM is extremely cheap. If you want to get into upgrading that, just check out TigerDirect.com and look for system memory or something.

I think I paid a little under $100 for 4 sticks of 2GB each, a total of 8GB of RAM. But that was a while ago so my pricing might be off some. Though I do remember the memory sticks being a lot cheaper than I originally expected. Which is why I ended up with 8GB Razz
wellerchap
When I upgraded the RAM I used a website called crucial.com - on there was a scanning application that displays the RAM installed on the pc and available updates - it suggested to me that my pc would only take one upgrade (I think a 33% improvement, at the time) so I've always just accepted that while ever I have this pc that'll be my lot....but I'll check out the site you mention and see what that comes up with - who knows, I may just treat myself as it's Christmas - after all, I've been a good boy Very Happy