FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I need help find a hidden virus!!!

foumy6
Okay so this started about 2 days ago all my programs just stop responding then the only thing I can do is do a hard shut down, so yesterday I ran a disk clean on it and it replace bad clusters in McAfee. Now even when I start it in safe mode my McAfee the real time scanner keeps getting knocked out and when I turn it on it instantly turns it self off again. I have also ran multiple malwarebytes scans and found nothing after updating and everything. After the disk clean up everything is working fine except McAfee so I dont know if it is a problem with McAfee, so I am getting ready to do a wipe but I would really prefer if I didnt have to. And I cant uninstall it because the uninstaller for it freezes. I am on a dell windows 7 laptop. HELP!!!!!!
Asap170
Try to uninstall McAfee then do a re-install. It may of edified it's files so that happens. If it still has the same issues then do a wipe cause it will make sure there is no harmful programs running that shouldn't be and it will increase the speed of your computer for a few months.
Brian12
Hi,

Try following the steps in this virus/malware removal guide: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide

It contains instructions that will remove most malware infections.

I hope this helps you,
Brian
ocalhoun
There are such things as bootable disks with virus scanners on them.
(My choice being ultimate boot disk)

Those are very useful for when a virus has corrupted your OS and/or your virus scanner.
Since they are on a read-only CD, they can't get infected, and it's possible that they might be able to remove the infection, though I doubt that they could repair the damage.

If your hard drive is getting bad sectors on it, though, you might not have a virus at all; the problems might be stemming from simple damage to system files...
In that case, back up what you can, buy a new hard drive*, and start over.
(To be on the safe side, though, I would still virus scan all your backed-up files before putting them on the new system.)

*It is sometimes possible to repair a damaged hard drive, and continue using it with decreased capacity... but a hard drive that is getting bad sectors is likely to continue getting worse over time, so repairing it will be a lot of trouble just for a temporary solution.
foumy6
yea it was mcafee because I un installed it and am now using avast and my laptop is working better now Smile
menino
I've always had problems with mcafee except in the beginning around 10 years ago, when I first started using it. The initial Mcafee was really great, but after that, their releases slowed down the machines and some of it affected the operating systems as well, crashing it and all.

Avast is good as well, but lately, I've seen it slow down old machines.

I've heard the new Mcafee is good, but from your experience, I gather its not.

Even Symantec had problems with their antivirus as long time ago, but I think now its a bit better.

But in catching viruses, and not sacrificing speed, I love ESET NOD32, but you have to pay to use it.
foumy6
yea that was exactly what it was doing to me I was getting blue screens and everything from it but sense I uninstalled it and switched to avast I have not had any problems, but all the other computers in the house are still using mcafee and not having the problem that I had on my laptop.
Marcuzzo
I always believed that virusses are not loaded in safemode and that only the "pure" OS would be running.
can virusses infect your safemode?
flamepjlh
foumy6 wrote:
Okay so this started about 2 days ago all my programs just stop responding then the only thing I can do is do a hard shut down, so yesterday I ran a disk clean on it and it replace bad clusters in McAfee. Now even when I start it in safe mode my McAfee the real time scanner keeps getting knocked out and when I turn it on it instantly turns it self off again. I have also ran multiple malwarebytes scans and found nothing after updating and everything. After the disk clean up everything is working fine except McAfee so I dont know if it is a problem with McAfee, so I am getting ready to do a wipe but I would really prefer if I didnt have to. And I cant uninstall it because the uninstaller for it freezes. I am on a dell windows 7 laptop. HELP!!!!!!

Try Avira anti virus.                                         

This software is very powerful. It can sweep out even non-virus.               

Laughing Laughing
portoskt
just reinstall OS and drive on...
Adiiforu
You people its nt even a virus. Its a bug in mcafee software. If you went to mcafee faq section the top article is abt real time scanner.
anyway. I too use avast for my desktop and mcafeee for laptop.

Post modified by GhostRider103
foumy6
well turns out none of this was the problem the problem was that my Hard drive has been dieing a slow painful death, and these were the warning signs. I know this because my computer stopped loading the OS and so I ran a Dell diagnostic scan (I'm on a dell inspiron 1545 laptop) i got the error 00f0 1344 DISK BLOCKED and after talking with dell and also looking all over the web it came up to be that my hard drive has developed bad sectors and should be removed asap because the long its in the more damage it is doing. So now I need to wait for my new hard drive to come in the mail luckily I backed up my hard drive about 2 weeks ago so I wont loose much. but yea so, it turns out that it was none of the above (Though I wonder if McAfee could have done something to cause this) which really sucks because the computer is just over a year old and out of warranty (an extended warranty was not available Sad )
dude_xyx
McAfee always slow down my computer so I use Comodo now but Nod32 is great too. Try one of these when you get your new hard drive.