FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Battlefield 3 (Beta opens Sept 29th!)

Dementei

I'm sure most of you know about the upcoming BF3, the newest of the Battlefield series, will be having an open beta to the whole world on 9/29 next Thursday free for all to download.

Quote:
The beta is set in Paris on the Operation Metro map, where players work their way from lush parks on the outskirts of the city to a dark, bombed-out metro station, to the vibrant streets around the Paris stock exchange. Two elite tactical units square off in the series’ popular Rush Mode. One side takes the offensive by attacking M-COM stations while the opposing squad defends and protects. -GT

Also those who have pre-ordered the Limited Edition of Medal of Honor and/or the digital PC version of the game at Origin will be able to play on the 27th. Go to http://www.battlefield3beta.com to get your beta key. And of course http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/beta to download the beta when the time comes. The full game will be released on October 25th. I can't wait to see the Frostbite 2 engine in action especially when it's utilizing ANT technology (used in FIFA) for realistic animations. Example:

There's more to know about the engines abilities, go to http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/frostbite2 if you'd like.

So who else is pumped?
kacsababa
I'll be there for sure. Smile
LostOverThere
Anyone seen the Recommendation System Requirements? Pretty intense stuff! I'm afraid my system doesn't meet them all, but then again, considering how Battlefield 3 is looking, I'm certainly not surprised.
Dementei
LostOverThere wrote:
Anyone seen the Recommendation System Requirements? Pretty intense stuff! I'm afraid my system doesn't meet them all, but then again, considering how Battlefield 3 is looking, I'm certainly not surprised.

This site has a lot of info on that: http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/
I just got done playing BC2 like all night, so fun.. it's crazy in BF3 there won't be any DX9 and no WinXP.

Reading the cmnts on that site made me lol, "can I run BF3??".. and they have quad core, gtx560, 8gb ram.. no sir you can't run it, upgrade your pc.

Or what about 100 hours per kit to fully complete..http://bf3blog.com/2011/09/dice-it-takes-100-hours-to-complete-a-kit-and-unlock-everything/
Adiiforu
I watched the gameplay video and it was awesome. It really looked as if you are on a battlefield. I just hope it isn ot resource hungry
kacsababa
The official system requirements.

Minimum:
Windows Vista (SP2) 32-Bit
CPU: 2 GHz Dual Core (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz OR Athlon X2 2.7 GHz)
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 20GB
GPU (AMD): DirectX 10.1 Compatible With 512MB RAM (ATI Radeon 3000, 4000, 5000 or 6000 Series, with Ati Radeon 3870 or Higher Performance)
GPU (NVidia): DirectX 10.0 Compatible With 512MB RAM (NVidia GeForce 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 or 500 Series, with NVidia GeForce 8800 GT or Higher Performance)
Sond Card: DirectX Compatible
Keyboard and Mouse
DVD ROM Drive

Recommended:
Windows 7 64-Bit
CPU: Quad-Core CPU
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 20GB
GPU: DirectX 11 Compatible With 1024MB RAM (NVidia GeForce GTX560 or ATI Radeon 6950)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
Keyboard and Mouse
DVD ROM Drive

And the rumor is the recommended specs are not enough for the highest options. Smile
Dementei
Haha, yea a GTX560 and Radeon 6950.. that sucks. I have a 6870 and a triple core, I hope I'll be able to run the game well and that they are just bluffing on those recommended specs. They also said if you can run Bad Company 2 you can run BF3, as BF3 may be more graphical it is also more optimized so it's balanced out. But wow, BF3 looks so real.. it's crazy.

Also, kacsababa, how do you still have an account here with -496.69 points just wondering haha.
ExMachina
The game looks beautiful, that's for sure. However, in my opinion shooters have lost any appeal whatsoever as they are all rehashes of the same basic mold with little innovation outside of graphics for years now.
Dementei
ExMachina wrote:
The game looks beautiful, that's for sure. However, in my opinion shooters have lost any appeal whatsoever as they are all rehashes of the same basic mold with little innovation outside of graphics for years now.

Yea pretty much.. I feel like most of the game dev's today are all on the same level, never different from the rest. There are some that go beyond that level, such as 4A Games developer of Metro 2033, and I think Bethesda are pretty much above everyone else too. They seem to make pretty well thought out games, games worth playing anyway. Even Frictional Games, makers of Amnesia and Penumbra..these Indie dev's are doing pretty well for themselves too. I'm looking forward to this one Indie game called Overgrowth, they post a video every week showing progress every step of the way.
william
I want to play this game, but my Battlefield: Bad Company 2 game just started crashing on me, and I still can't figure out how to fix it. All I know is that it's a common issue.

As great as the graphics look on both games, I can't stand a game that won't run when I want it to. And it seems every game I have problems with are published by EA. Eh?
weableandbob
Oooo, didn't know the beta started so soon for those who pre-ordered it. The game looks really good; I just wish that it didn't take so much hardware to run it on max-they said that it would take two 580's in SLI. Sadly, I only have one 480 Sad
Dementei
I have a feeling, weable, that they are bluffin' a bit to increase Nvidia sales, justa conspiracy theory but could be true. We'll find out on the 29th, I have a 6870, which is quite close to your 480 so we'll see how it runs. I've never come across a game that couldn't be ran on max with this card, I just highly doubt BF3 is going to be another Crysis episode, because if it doesn't run well it's mostly because the optimization isn't quite there so we can kinda blame the developers. If not them then we gotta upgrade our cpu's then too Wink which I just took the time to do so should be set to power-game.

I found some ultra high res in-game shots of BF3.. just amazing:

Here's more of them..
Dementei
As I expected, I can run the game on Ultra settings with not much hassle; it's at least 30fps or more.
The recommended specs, are a little false, as I have only one 6870 (Vapor-X) and an under-clocked triple core (Athlon II x3 445 @2.6Ghz). It's under-clocked because of my mobo but anyway, my rig holds up well and looks very nice, great game indeed.
LostOverThere
Dementei wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:

This site has a lot of info on that: http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/
I just got done playing BC2 like all night, so fun.. it's crazy in BF3 there won't be any DX9 and no WinXP.

Man, no Windows XP? That's crazy! But man, just looking at this game, I'm really impressed. It looks wonderful. And not just from a technical perspective, either, but from an artistic and creative one. Some really fantastic stuff.
kiralight
wtf the minimum requiment Shocked
must buy some part again. Arrow
william
Well I have been playing around with the Beta, and I can't say I'm a big fan of this game. It's not bad, and I certainly see a lot of people buying it, but there is no way I'm buying this full price. Also, at least on the maps I've played, the highest scorers are the campers with the best weapons. And how do you get the best weapons? By playing for the longest period of time. Confused

Anyway, when I first ran it, I ran it at the auto settings. Then I set it to ultra, and it still ran just fine (a few stutters here and there, but definitely playable). Turns out that the ultra settings in the beta aren't actually ultra, and that they are pretty similar to high.

But I suppose that's a good thing, because the graphics on "ultra" were nothing special and certainly not up to the hype. Let's see how the real deal fares.
LostOverThere
william wrote:
Well I have been playing around with the Beta, and I can't say I'm a big fan of this game. It's not bad, and I certainly see a lot of people buying it, but there is no way I'm buying this full price. Also, at least on the maps I've played, the highest scorers are the campers with the best weapons. And how do you get the best weapons? By playing for the longest period of time. Confused

Anyway, when I first ran it, I ran it at the auto settings. Then I set it to ultra, and it still ran just fine (a few stutters here and there, but definitely playable). Turns out that the ultra settings in the beta aren't actually ultra, and that they are pretty similar to high.

But I suppose that's a good thing, because the graphics on "ultra" were nothing special and certainly not up to the hype. Let's see how the real deal fares.

Very interesting to here! How are the visuals in comparison to the trailers EA have been showing? Likewise, what are your system specifications like?
Dementei
BF3 is released, I am playing through the single player campaign right now it runs pretty good on my machine, looks real good too. Anyone else have it? It's pretty enjoyable that's for sure.
LostOverThere
Dementei wrote:
BF3 is released, I am playing through the single player campaign right now it runs pretty good on my machine, looks real good too. Anyone else have it? It's pretty enjoyable that's for sure.

How does it run and look on lower settings? My machine will probably not be able to play it at maximum specifications, so I was wondering if it still looks good on medium settings.
Dementei
LostOverThere wrote:
How does it run and look on lower settings? My machine will probably not be able to play it at maximum specifications, so I was wondering if it still looks good on medium settings.

Oh dude yea it still looks amazing all on low for sure, they've optimized the game pretty well, what is your GFX and CPU?
drunkenkoz
I played the BETA for the duration that it was out and even go to play in the beta before it's release, which was invite only. I find that BF3 is a great game, but they removed a lot of core features that I really liked such as the squad system where you could join a squad with your friends. Now you're forced to join with randoms.
Dementei
drunkenkoz wrote:
I played the BETA for the duration that it was out and even go to play in the beta before it's release, which was invite only. I find that BF3 is a great game, but they removed a lot of core features that I really liked such as the squad system where you could join a squad with your friends. Now you're forced to join with randoms.

Well they actually fixed that now with the squads, they fixed a lot of things in retail.
CraigHF
This game is awesome... as every other Battlefield games. Ok, I'm outta here... gotta go frag a couple of ya guys right now Razz
electricfence
this game is epic ,, i bought it ,, best money i payed for a game in a long time , just as i though it would be Razz
Dementei
Yea for sure, this game is totally worth the money, no doubt about it.
Hope you're havin' fun bros.
Zuex
This game is amazing, I need to purchase a new PC just for it lol. Might splash around £1000, in need of a new computer anyway.
Dementei
Zuex wrote:
This game is amazing, I need to purchase a new PC just for it lol. Might splash around £1000, in need of a new computer anyway.

Ah yea, well are you gonna build it yourself? Would be much better off Razz