FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Swearing and Charlie Sheen roast

Hello_World
Okay, I was watching the Charlie Sheen roast, right after the new episode.

I was amazed!!! To say the least. I couldn't believe what I was watching, but could look away lol.

I've never seen a 'roast' before, except a mock one on The Office American version.

Cruel jokes, and jokes about rapes, treating prostitutes badly, domestic violence? I was honestly a little shocked.

What did you think?

And secondly:

At the start, they were playing clips of Charlies movies, and in one a swear word got bleeped out.

Seriously?

10 bucks says that was the least offensive thing said all night.

Don't you think this swearing bleeping thing is a whole bunch of lunacy? Especially considering they went on to discuss prostitution, violence etc?
catscratches
The swear word could have been bleeped out as part of the original movie (or its TV screening), which had a different context and was intended to be suitable for a broader audience than the roast. I don't know the roast in question though, so it's possible that wasn't the case. In that case, they're just being hypocritical.
coolclay
Content isn't necessarily restricted by the FCC but certain words are. But regardless sounds like a normal roast to me, as inappropriate as they usually are.
IceCreamTruck
I missed it. I was hoping to catch it but life happens and has little regard for "wants" sometimes. Hopefully I'll catch it later on rerun... should be worth playing twice. I caught the Hosselhoff roast and was floored by how much "coming out of the closet" talk there was, and it was decidedly queer to see Hulk Hogan flaming -- it was kind of weird to see the roast flame out on that note, but still... it was a grand daddy roast and loads of content to make fun of just like Charlie Sheen. Roasting scumbags and drunks shouldn't be too hard. I'd think a roast of a genuinely nice and funny person like Jim Carrey would be hard even though at first you might think there's would be a lot to make fun of with a king of comedy like that. I'd probably end up making fun of the roles he played like Ace Ventura rather than pic on the person he is: <bending over> Jim, may I "ass" you a question? :-p

I need to know when the Sheen roast will play again. Sad
standready
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I need to know when the Sheen roast will play again. Sad

Do a search online. You can probably even watch the roast online.
It is very sad that most people need to swear to be funny. I don't understand why? Many times, the swearing would not be needed to be funny. It is just inserted to show how much of an _$$ the person is.
Hello_World
Quote:
It is very sad that most people need to swear to be funny.

You also don't need to swear to be offensive...

I have seen a lot of comedians. Sometimes they do it to be cool or tough or whatever and it sounds stupid. Others do it more to give the impression of comfort, like s/he is your friend who you can swear with... you can relax and laugh, instead of a formal occasion where you would only 'titter' or golf clap etc...

This is not the only occasion where the content is more offensive than the bleeped swearing, it happens often and it seems to me so silly.

Bleeping in the first place seems silly anyway, a bleep sounds more swear-y then a swear word. No-one or hardly anyone is that offended by swearing anyway, it seems like a whole nanny state thing, it is not like you can go a day without hearing a swear word in real life. Other things are just so much more offensive.

It probably was a normal roast, I don't know as I said I never saw one before.
ExMachina
The jokes are always vulgar, offensive, etc. For the most part, that is just the nature of comedy these days. It's kind of silly to regulate swear words yet allow content to be unrestricted...we might as well just throw out the whole damn FCC. Razz
IceCreamTruck
Hello_World wrote:
Quote:
It is very sad that most people need to swear to be funny.

You also don't need to swear to be offensive...

I have seen a lot of comedians. Sometimes they do it to be cool or tough or whatever and it sounds stupid. Others do it more to give the impression of comfort, like s/he is your friend who you can swear with... you can relax and laugh, instead of a formal occasion where you would only 'titter' or golf clap etc...

This is not the only occasion where the content is more offensive than the bleeped swearing, it happens often and it seems to me so silly.

Bleeping in the first place seems silly anyway, a bleep sounds more swear-y then a swear word. No-one or hardly anyone is that offended by swearing anyway, it seems like a whole nanny state thing, it is not like you can go a day without hearing a swear word in real life. Other things are just so much more offensive.

It probably was a normal roast, I don't know as I said I never saw one before.

Bleeping draws attention to the TV actually, so I don't see them stopping any time soon. As it stands they will continue bleeping something for the ratings. The system has imploded, physics don't make sense here because up is down, and strange things happen like democrats change their name to republican -- I imagine the vast sea of glassy stares that actually are to stupid to perceive the implications of living life without a soul or intelligent imaginative creativity and the ability to actually be unique. The sad thing is that the popular vote is that shows that "bleep" more are more amusing to your average couch potatoes, who by some stroke of hilarious fortune, have been bestowed the ability to "hold the remote" for all of humanity. Unless we get this unlimited free energy thing together true creativity will always be raped by the corporate economic machine as it caters to it's armies of [bleep]ing couch potato drones who believe their [bleep]ing vote really counts, and that they are only one [bleep]ing text message away from cashing in on a cell phone lottery (Noooo! don't try texting again! it's a "bleeping" scam -- it's always a "bleeping" scam.). I think we need to roast humanity.
foumy6
I thought that it was very funny and it is one of those things that if people are so offeneded by it why not change the channel? You dont have to watch it, so there fore why must people ruin it just because they don't like it when it really isnt that hard to just watch something else.
Blaster
Thats the whole idea of a Roast. Without the curse words and the vulgar jokes it wouldn't be a roast. The only part I saw that was really messed up was when someone talked about Steve-O's friend, Ryan Dunn, dying. He died in a car crash a few months ago. Other than that search for any roast and you will find the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_Central_Roast