FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what linux games do you play?

Bookface
I'm simultaneously trying to find something to occupy my time and get my friend unhooked from playing Eternal Lands, a MMORPG. Prior to this he was playing America's Army. So something flashy and 3D is a plus, but ... less obsessively playable, I guess, if that makes sense.

As for me, my favorite games are those with lots in them to explore, I've been playing nethack on and off for the past month, but I feel like I can be doing better. My favorite games of all time are probably the Zelda series. I'd love to have something like Ocarina (sp?) of Time all over again, but with new challenges.
lockwolf
I have a copy of Quake III, Arena for Linux. I dont play it on linux due to the fact my wireless card isnt supported on SUSE so I can't play it but its cool.
Saido
I always play Half-life.
with wine you know.

the game has everything.

javascript:emoticon('Idea')
Idea Half-life runs faster on linux than on WindowsXP
Bookface
Only a few "translations" need to be made for the main core of OpenGL games (and programs) to run properly on Linux. OpenGL is the same across platforms, and wine takes care of the interactions with system calls (such as drawing a messagebox, or opening a file) which are minimal in a graphical context. So it's not a huge surprise that some games will run better in Linux than in Windows, with better memory management and disk layouts.
win66
Bookface wrote:
I'm simultaneously trying to find something to occupy my time and get my friend unhooked from playing Eternal Lands, a MMORPG. Prior to this he was playing America's Army. So something flashy and 3D is a plus, but ... less obsessively playable, I guess, if that makes sense.

As for me, my favorite games are those with lots in them to explore, I've been playing nethack on and off for the past month, but I feel like I can be doing better. My favorite games of all time are probably the Zelda series. I'd love to have something like Ocarina (sp?) of Time all over again, but with new challenges.

I never play games at linux system. Anyone command some games which can play at linux?
klingoncowboy4
I only play the basic games that come with my distro. I am currently distroless but will be installing Fedora Core 4 soon and will probably also install FreeCiv. After playing CivIII for a while I might be able to win against the computer for once...
garvalf4
Quest for Wesnoth, Slune, Balazar, Chromium, Abuse, Widelands, Adom are among the best games for linux...
The place for finding them is on http://www.happypenguin.org/
abone
I don't prefer linux games..
Keshav
I play chess and xonix on my linux distro. The chess algorithm used is pretty cool and never can you beat it..
Dino
I`m playing Americas Army ver. 2.6, and DOOM 3, but i must to install new drivers for my graphic card ( ATI 9600xt ), now it works great.
Does somebody know where I can download Call of duty 2 for Linux, becouse I can`t find it on torrents, and I want to play it
linkman2004
I used to have linux installed just for the built in games such as tux racer. Razz But then it started sucking up to much hard disk space and I deleted it. Nothing wrong with good old windows games though. Smile
windval
i think linux is not for us to play game
moncader
tux racer is great, but Scorched 3D is AWSOME. So is armagetron (Spelling?).
Of course, when using Wine, I love World of Warcraft. Smile If that counts...
Arnie
Lincity and XDigger, haha
root
COUNTER-STRIKE!!!!! 1.6
desertwind
I tried playing AA in gnu/linux, even though a good game with nice graphics, i quit for several reasons.

1. I don't have that much time to waste. I prefer sleeping.
2. I don't like being an American Soldier.
3. I'm not that much patient to pass all those training sessions.
Blah Blah Blah.

The only game I play now on my box is spades.
fofoo
enemy territory + (mod) true combat elite, 100% free Very Happy
paulbarter
klingoncowboy4 wrote:
I only play the basic games that come with my distro. I am currently distroless but will be installing Fedora Core 4 soon and will probably also install FreeCiv. After playing CivIII for a while I might be able to win against the computer for once...

Do you have a link for FreeCiv? Is it the similar to the original Civilation game? That game rocked!
Arnie
Check your distribution's package repository. It's likely in there. You can also get it directly at www.freeciv.org
Commando_Sondre
I play FreeCiv and Quake III on Linux. Sometimes I play CS 1.6 with Wine on Linux, bot mostly I play in Windows.
vicarious
I used to keep a windows partition just for the simple reason of playing Medal of Honor with my son, but since I found the linux installer online I found that I now have room for my cd collection where 98 used to be Very Happy

I would prob. play more games......but I have children......as if that makes sense (only to a parent of 3). Wink
Filokaz
I am totally addicted to crossfire