FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Illegal file sharing kills!!!

badai
from http://www.alancross.ca/a-journal-of-musical-things/2011/9/16/insurer-stage-collapse-tragedy-caused-by-illegal-downloading.html

Quote:
You might remember the story from last month where four people died when a festival tent at Pukkelpop in Belgium collapsed during a severe thunderstorm.

Naturally, the festival organizers had insurance to cover these sorts of catastrophic things. So if you're the adjuster assigned to the case, to what would you assign blame? The tent manufacturer? Those who erected the tent? Perhaps those in charge of supervising the tent?

No. You blame illegal file-sharing.

Here's the insurance companies' reasoning: Illegal file-sharing has led to fewer CD sales. Fewer CD sales have forced artists, managers and labels to emphasize the live music experience--including festivals, of course--to make up for the lost revenue. Emphasizing live gigs attracts people. And should a thunderstorm strike, those people risk being killed or injured.

Bottom line? If people didn't trade music illegally online, then none of this would have happened.
Peterssidan
I think this is nonsense. Accidents can happen and that's how it is so why not blame the thunderstorm? If the tent is dangerous it should not be used of course.
Nameless
I think is hilarious and when I trip over a rock this afternoon because I wasn't paying attention to where I was going because I was overly sated because I ate lunch later because I was too busy laughing at these lawyers antics, guess who I'm going to sue?
ocalhoun
Yep... illegal file sharing is obviously directly responsible.

Couldn't possibly be a rise in popularity among other media types that causes low revenue in the music industry... and it certainly isn't an overly corporatist approach to music publishing getting out of tune with the public's taste in music...
And of course, one should never expect the safety of an event to be the responsibility of those setting up the event... Certainly not when reduced revenues are at stake!
After all, lightning rods cost money, and how could they possibly afford lightning rods when their billion-dollar budget has been reduced to a meager few-hundred-million?

Really, we should take pity on these poor people.
Go buy some CD's... for the greater good.
silverdown
Shocked oh dang... dang dang and another dang... Exclamation
gandalfthegrey
I hate lawyers.
ExMachina
I had to give that one a good chuckle. Laughing

I've never read such absurd logic in my life, they're really grasping at straws with that one...
Hello_World
Seriously....

is this not THE BEST excuse ever to promote illegal file sharing?

It promotes LIVE MUSIC!!!!

Woo hoo illegal file sharing has just been made moral again...
bukaida
Illegal file sharing is bad. But the cause and effect described above is ridiculous. The storm is an act of god, you can, by no way prevent or avoid it. The same incident could happen in any political or religious gathering. What would possibly the statement of the insurance company become then? Do not gather at any place for what so ever be the reason?
Hello_World
@bukaida

yeah, of course, the reasoning is completely faulty. Insurance companies are evil. It is true.

Still, there is a real case to be made that illegal file sharing promotes live music, and that is a great thing...

Harder to make money for the musicians, but hey, all careers have changed and shifted over time. Only musicians worth their salt can perform live well.
ocalhoun

Idea!

I could sell 'illegal file sharing insurance'. You pay a monthly premium (which varies according to the riskiness of the activities you do), and in exchange, the insurance will pay any illegal file sharing lawsuits that you lose. (And of course, help fight the case in court if it looks possible to win.)
It's just like malpractice insurance for doctors!

Not only could it make me millions, but it would also help prevent media corporations from abusing individual file sharers: those media companies would no longer be able to be sure about having better lawyers.

It could be promoted by hyping the risks of file sharing, and publicizing examples of people who lost huge lawsuits about it...
...And then, come in with the line, "but, for a low monthly premium, you can enjoy file sharing completely risk free!"

Really, this just might be my greatest plan ever!
I need about $10 million in start-up money, pronto!
Peterssidan
ocalhoun, there was a few Swedish companies that offered file sharing insurance a few years ago. This was when file sharing was risk free, but things changed and now I don't think there are any of them left.
ocalhoun
Peterssidan wrote:
ocalhoun, there was a few Swedish companies that offered file sharing insurance a few years ago.

*sigh*
That's the trouble of living in a world with 7 billion other people (not counting previous, deceased, generations, which roughly double that number)... No matter how original your idea is, somebody, somewhere already came up with it.
Afaceinthematrix
This is funny but expected from an insurance company. Did it ever occur to them that people going to shows are probably more likely to buy merchandise? T-shirts, CDs, posters, etc... It's all sold at the show. Plus, if you're paying money to see a band you probably like them and will be more likely to buy their merchandise anyways. I probably spend $500-$1000 a year on music. I go to shows every couple of weeks and I buy a lot of t-shirts and CDs. From my experience, the people that go to these shows (which are often the same people because the Southern California metal scene isn't too large... So there are people I see constantly at shows) are the ones that buy the merchandise. People who never go to shows are more likely to not care about the band enough to not steal from them. Although maybe it's just because I am in to metal and metal has an extremely loyal and fanatical fan base.