FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 8 Developer Preview

driftingfe3s
I just installed the Windows 8 Developer Preview on my netbook. 1.6 GHz with 1 GB of memory. It runs pretty good with no major slowdowns. I had Windows 7 on the netbook prior, and I don't notice any difference with my laptop being slower or faster.

The new Metro UI is a bit confusing, but I kind of like it. Too bad I don't have a touch screen, I feel that its not that intuitive with the mouse. I've learned that right clicking on most of the Metro Apps brings up a menu, but I have no idea still how to exit a Metro app once I'm in it. Wile in the classic desktop, there is no real start menu and it's a but frustrating. A bunch of the Metro Apps are broken as well.

The Metro UI looks good for general things like surfing the web and playing with some Apps and on a tablet but I feel for power users it's tedious to find applications and settings burried deep in the OS. It feels like Chromium OS but with more functionality. It looks like it has some good potential though.
Marcuzzo
yeah, I've read about it.
they claim it boots in 8seconds, but it doesn't really boot, it resumes after hibernation.
and from what I've read it also looks and feels more like a smartphone then a computer OS.
I'm going to try it once I get the chance.
for those that want the download link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516
cybersa
I'm eager to see that but I'm in college so way to test it.
Anybody having video preview?
POst link please.
therimalaya
You can see the preview in Youtube man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hq95vtoS28
tamilparks
very nice
driftingfe3s
Marcuzzo wrote:
yeah, I've read about it.
they claim it boots in 8seconds, but it doesn't really boot, it resumes after hibernation.
and from what I've read it also looks and feels more like a smartphone then a computer OS.
I'm going to try it once I get the chance.
for those that want the download link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

It's actually a full boot, not from hibernation.

Here's a video of Microsoft demoing it. They prove that it is a full real boot but taking out the laptop's batteries then putting it back in and starting the laptop up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivx3W2ipdeI&feature=player_embedded
Helios
Tried installing it on VirtualBox, but it failed Sad
I won't risk installing it on my PC just yet, but from the demo it looks nice. I really like the part about system requirements and that it boots fast - I see that people are commenting about it being fake or w/e, well I don't see a reason why Microsoft would fake the video of one of their future releases which will eventually be tested by the public...

In any case, IMO an operating system should be as light as possible yet it should also provide the best connection between human and machine.
danakajoel
What's it like to install? Is it stable. I am running Win 7 64 bit but don't want to kill my machine if it's an unstable build???
LostOverThere
Microsoft always claim their brand-spanking-new Operating system's boot in some ridiculous margin, but they never do. At least not after a few dozen boots anyway.

While Metro, I must say looks...interesting, I'll be interested in seeing how it actually tunes out. Hard to judge these things by screenshots alone. And hey, it might grow on me.

Either way, interesting months ahead.
Fire Boar
Microsoft have about a 50% rate of coming out with a viable product. Windows 8 seems a bit... eh. I do applaud their attempt to do something different, but they should really learn from others that this hasn't gone down too well in the past, and probably won't here either.
Blummer
I'm quite satisfied with W7. I understand there will be many reasons to switch to W8, but will it be as stable as W7? I don't need any extra gui features, the w7 is enough for me.
chartcentral
Helios wrote:

Nice idea to try it on VirtualBox. Sad to hear it failed though. Perhaps it needs more memory or something? Or perhaps a 32-bit/64-bit issue? I would probably try a similar setup soon too. Smile
sanalskumar
Helios wrote:

can you be a little more specific about this?

Because i was planning to try it on my VMware workstation. Did it fail because minimal requirement didn't mach or it just doesn't support VMs?

Just curious. Dont want to waste bandwidth for no reason. Wink
chartcentral
sanalskumar wrote:
Because i was planning to try it on my VMware workstation. Did it fail because minimal requirement didn't mach or it just doesn't support VMs?

According to this article, Windows 8 is supported on VMWare. Smile
sanalskumar
chartcentral wrote:
sanalskumar wrote:

According to this article, Windows 8 is supported on VMWare. Smile

Thanks chartcentral for the link. I will give it a try and will post my experience in here.
portoskt
sound interesting, cant wait to try it
forlou
§§§§§§§
!!