FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

If frihost was yours what would you change?

truespeed
Since having websites of my own i find myself sometimes when visiting other websites thinking how things could be done differently/better.

If you could what would you change about frihost?
ExMachina
I would give myself a free top-level domain. Razz

In all seriousness, there really aren't any major issues associated with this website. The only thing I would consider is condensing the number of subforums. At the moment there are so many places to post it can be overwhelming and sometimes difficult for a thread to get a lot of attention. I understand the premise, however; give people as many places as possible to be active and earn their free hosting.

Kudos to Bondings for an awesome site. Very Happy
Ankhanu
Maybe add CNAME domain routing Wink
Really, Frih has been a pretty solid host and there aren't any big features or what have you that I've felt I lack using it.
loremar
I'll make ".frihost" top level domain for everyone. lol.
e.g. loremar.frihost Laughing

I think more use for coins and more ways to earn coins. That is what I'm looking for to happen in frihost. Besides that, I think it's already perfect.
standready
loremar wrote:
I think more use for coins and more ways to earn coins.

How about some examples?

As for myself, I don't see anything I would change.
ocalhoun
standready wrote:
loremar wrote:
I think more use for coins and more ways to earn coins.

How about some examples?

Some day, there are supposed to be more uses for coins, as well as more ways to get them... things like frihost-based games, buying extra space/bandwidth...

Things like that take a lot of coding though, and around here, that means it takes time. (usually... though sometimes such things happen very fast.)
shivaghimire
I haven't seen anything to change here. Its good and I feel in love with this forum. Its very good.
foumy6
I would change how you loose apoint everyday because sometimes you just don't have time to get on and post everyday, so what I don't like is that every day that you don't post you put your site in jepordy just because you were busy with other things.
ExMachina
foumy6 wrote:
I would change how you loose apoint everyday because sometimes you just don't have time to get on and post everyday, so what I don't like is that every day that you don't post you put your site in jepordy just because you were busy with other things.

All you have to do is get your points above 45, then every day they are reset back to that 45 point baseline. From there, all you have to do is make one post a day and you will never drop below 45 points. Hardly a difficult task for the awesome free hosting that Frihost provides.

Not only that, but it takes more then one day for your site to be in "jeopardy".
loremar
foumy6 wrote:

Yeah, you have a point. I think there should be a way to use coins to bypass the posting requirements. Coins came from your points anyways. So it might not be that hard to convert coins back to points. Or if your points go 0 then coins should automatically drain to save your hosting account. I mean what if one day, you get comatose for 3 months, then your website would definitely be gone.
Ankhanu
foumy6 wrote:

I dunno, if you don't have time to make a couple posts once every 45 days... perhaps you don't really have time to waste on website hosting/development anyway Razz
You can miss a full month and a half of posting before your site is in jeopardy (and if you keep a back up of the site contents locally, you're not actually going to lose anything). If you're THAT busy, well, I dunno what to tell ya.

If the site is really important that a lapse would be catastrophic (in the sort of event that loremar mentioned or something), perhaps you'd be way better off paying for hosting, rather than relying on a free host. The equivalent of saying 5 words a day is a pretty small price to pay for a host, but you don't have the same stability you would from actually laying down some capitol. If you want hosting with insurance, you're going to have to lay down some cash. Either you jump through a couple hoops (i.e. message board posting), deal with tonnes of advertisements on your site, or you actually pay. That's just reality.
watersoul
foumy6 wrote:
To be fair, I think it's a pretty good deal for the quality of the free hosting service. If there was no penalty for non-posting, the forums would be full of folk who make a few posts then just milk Frihost like some poor fat hosting cow.
This is my second post since the 14th of August and I've lost loads of points in that time. Thats the deal I've agreed to though, so it's up to me to keep an eye on it. In any case, you get an email warning at -5 points (I think) and I'm pretty certain a human being does the deletion of accounts so if you are usually an active member I would imagine a discussion would be had amongst staff before deleting hundreds of megabytes of files in a members hosting account.

loremar wrote:
Yeah, you have a point. I think there should be a way to use coins to bypass the posting requirements. Coins came from your points anyways. So it might not be that hard to convert coins back to points. Or if your points go 0 then coins should automatically drain to save your hosting account. I mean what if one day, you get comatose for 3 months, then your website would definitely be gone.

The coins thing is a good idea if it didn't involve too much coding and effort, but I'm guessing if I was comatose for 3 months my Frihost account would be the last of my worries! Smile
Even if that happened though, it shouldn't be a problem if you back your files up, but If they're that important, perhaps paid hosting would be more appropriate?

As far as my opinion on changing Frihost? Nah, nothing important enough to worry about, except perhaps condensing the number of forums, or making some more general, such as the separate News and Politics being merged into a 'News, Politics & Society' forum. Not a burning issue but it would offer more options for me to contribute 'people' stories without having to be concerned with moral issues in Phil & Religion, or the shallow side of discussion in General Chat.
Ryox
I love this website and I would never want to switch away from it either. Its free and it has everything I want lol...

But anyways, I wouldn't change anything anyways; It's perfect as it is.

I love the email reminders for negative accounts. That's new! TY bondings~
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:
foumy6 wrote:

I dunno, if you don't have time to make a couple posts once every 45 days... perhaps you don't really have time to waste on website hosting/development anyway Razz
You can miss a full month and a half of posting before your site is in jeopardy (and if you keep a back up of the site contents locally, you're not actually going to lose anything). If you're THAT busy, well, I dunno what to tell ya.

And, really, to tell a bit of a secret, the points usually have to go very negative before the site is actually shut down.
Just because you are getting warnings for low points doesn't mean your website will be shut down tomorrow.
Really, I wouldn't worry about it too much until it got to around -20... that's when it really gets into the 'danger zone'. (Though I have, on occasion, even seen people get several hundred negative points and still be hosted.)

From what I understand, Bondings mostly only starts deleting negative point accounts when the server is getting too full.

That shouldn't be a problem though; you can get up to 5 points for a post... so if you make really good posts, you only have to do about 2 per week to stay hosted. That's really not asking much.